Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

"Too small" in the sense that "nobody will want to watch a show about what goes on in a town that small", right? Feh.

And then the whole show itself is clearly designed to depict a 5000-person town and pretend the sign thing never happened.

It's basically foreshadowing of how the producers are going to gently caress up and subsequently kill off the show halfway through season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Wasn't there some offhand mention in the book that the population number on the sign is a misprint?

I remember laughing at that since I knew the real backstory for it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So does Showtime have anything else worth watching that would help justify me subscribing for this? Do they have a bunch of movies on demand at least?

Shameless and Homeland are great.

Shameless is an acquired taste for sure, it's a goofy raunchy comedy/drama about a pretty ghetto family doing ghetto stuff.

Homeland has a great first two seasons, rough third, and then I felt like it returned to form afterwards and hasn't declined at all since.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 16, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 3 was the worst. Two I feel had higher highs and not as low lows-- but three does at least finally tie up all the Brody stuff after letting him live two seasons too long.

Liked what I saw of season four, really need to catch up though. The show's worth it for Claire Danes' performance either way imo.

Shameless is the most consistent show the network has had in ages, and in some cases keeps getting better. I'd recommend Penny Dreadful if it's your vibe, and Masters of Sex was also very good and ended before it had a chance to go the direction of most Showtime fare.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh man, I just woke up from a dream that involved me in a small town with weird but familiar townsfolk, and we were all watching the first three episodes of season 3.

Not gonna bore you with meaningless details, but if for some reason the first scene is Cooper on a bench, continually trying to say different things as the footage of him slows down and then looks like it gets mangled and melted in a projector, well... :tinfoil:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, I just woke up from a dream that involved me in a small town with weird but familiar townsfolk, and we were all watching the first three episodes of season 3.

Not gonna bore you with meaningless details, but if for some reason the first scene is Cooper on a bench, continually trying to say different things as the footage of him slows down and then looks like it gets mangled and melted in a projector, well... :tinfoil:

Go throw some rocks till you figure out what it means.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Paying for an otherwise worthless Showtime subscription is called the Twin Peaks tax.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So does Showtime have anything else worth watching that would help justify me subscribing for this? Do they have a bunch of movies on demand at least?

They seem to have most of David Lynch's other films on demand right now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Finished the Twin Peaks book and really loved it. On my next rewatch it'll definitely add a lot to the characters. I'm really interested to see what happens to Briggs. May can''t come soon enough!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm really interested to see what happens to Briggs. May can''t come soon enough!
Uh the actor that played Briggs passed away nearly a decade ago. Barring a surprise recasting we haven't heard about, he's not going to be in the new season. :smith:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Now I'm reminded that Hammond of Texas died. :sigh:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Uh the actor that played Briggs passed away nearly a decade ago. Barring a surprise recasting we haven't heard about, he's not going to be in the new season. :smith:

Yeah I know. I was referring to his fate after the book.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've started my rewatch in order to be ready for May. I also read a load of stuff online explaining a lot of what actually happened because I was in my teens and very dumb when I first watched Twin Peaks. The song Bobby played on the jukebox I'll always remember though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDV3lpYMWU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Miguel Ferrer died.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms

R.I.P.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

gently caress no, not Albert :(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
:(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aw gently caress :smith:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Aw man he was awesome!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have this horrible feeling that Ronnie Cox and Robert Forster won't make it out of 2017.

And I sincerely hope nothing happens to Stephen Tobolowsky :ohdear:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have this horrible feeling that Ronnie Cox and Robert Forster won't make it out of 2017.

And I sincerely hope nothing happens to Stephen Tobolowsky :ohdear:

Are you trying to jinx it or what?

I can't handle all these charming people dying off one by one. :(

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Came here to post this, one of my favorite scenes in all of Twin Peaks.

All the actors who play my favorite characters are dying, Major Briggs, Log Lady, and now Albert :(

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Alan_Shore posted:

Finished the Twin Peaks book and really loved it. On my next rewatch it'll definitely add a lot to the characters. I'm really interested to see what happens to Briggs. May can''t come soon enough!

IIRC the book strong implies his fate in the first few pages.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I'm a pretty big nerd that has his speech as a quote in my journal and also on a printout that makes its way onto my wall sometimes.

RIP

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
That was such an unexpected twist on that character, one of my favourite scenes of the entire show. Hell, any show.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
CSI: Twin Peaks

Albert putting on his sunglasses reminded me of someone else...

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 21, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:(

i loved that actor in pretty much every roles

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9GnKwC8Ew

My second favorite Twin Peaks quote about love.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finally, I can own a Ray Wise action figure.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Black Lodge doppelgänger version, for some reason.

That this collection doesn't appear to involve the Man From Another Place is a travesty.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sure, the show is old and all but it seems kind of lovely to spoil Leland's transformation through an action figure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deakul posted:

Sure, the show is old and all but it seems kind of lovely to spoil Leland's transformation through an action figure.

Speaking of which, can anyone link me the quick teaser for season 3 that had that really quick and loud cut to Leland in black and white?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Wait what? Where? How do I obtain?

Edit: nvm, I was so excited that I forgot google exists.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Good old Funko Pop and their dedication to the demon-eyed look. :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ugh I hate those soulless vinyl pop figures. action ones are neat though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

ugh I hate those soulless vinyl pop figures. action ones are neat though

Kinda fits for Leland, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Both Laura Palmer figures seem a little tasteless to me.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Raxivace posted:

Both Laura Palmer figures seem a little tasteless to me.

Yeah, you'd think they'd do the prom photo version of Laura. The one that they play the credits over a billion times...probably more iconic than a corpse in a bag.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Twin Peaks "Lego" people were neat but they were like $60 so nuts to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I collect certain action figures, and Cooper is one of my all-time favorite fictional characters, but I hate that these are 3 3/4" figures (like Star Wars and G.I. Joe), while almost my entire collection is 6" figures (DC and Marvel superheroes, Buffy and Angel). I'd love to display Coop with them, but I may just have to pass.

• Locked thread