Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Sardonik posted:

I will be very impressed if they pull off making the game quality. It looked terrible at first, but now I'm kind of interested. Releasing Enemy Unknown first was a brilliant move on 2K's part.

More of a reactionary than a brilliant move, but at least they get it now. I for one am fine with it, if it's cool I'll buy, if not I won't. Nice n easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Sardonik posted:

The Shooter is back: http://www.shacknews.com/article/78876/xcom-shooter-has-evolved-new-screen-revealed

I will be very impressed if they pull off making the game quality. It looked terrible at first, but now I'm kind of interested. Releasing Enemy Unknown first was a brilliant move on 2K's part.

They've gone back to the drawing board with this game at least three times now? I remember last time they went back and added squad based 'tactical elements' because originally it was just a generic cover shooter. This thing has been in development hell for the last three years, and i'm surprised they haven't just cut their losses after the success of EU. I can't see them pulling it off at all personally.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Just remake SWAT 4 with aliens and I'll be happy for this XCOM shooter.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, I gotta fall on Supernorn's side of this - the more redesigns you go through with a creative project like this, the more jumbled and confused it ends up being at the end. You only need look at Duke Nukem Forever to get an idea of this. Duke3D oozed a lot of character that was pure Duke and had its own nice little niche as far as the shooting and the action. The early builds of DNF seemed to mimick a lot of that. Then when it finally came out, we got this schizophrenic mess that imported not just a lot of its mechanics from places that made no sense (2-weapon Call of Duty/Halo bullshit) but it also imported a lot of its personality and jokes from the internet, and that was also really jarring with who Duke was portrayed to be.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"Refined their vision" is pretty much code for "Scrapped major parts of the game because they were broken/bad" and is almost never a good thing. I'll be pretty amazed if that game ends up being not awful.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

VDay posted:

"Refined their vision" is pretty much code for "Scrapped major parts of the game because they were broken/bad" and is almost never a good thing. I'll be pretty amazed if that game ends up being not awful.

Except that this is, you know, also exactly what happened in the process of making the XCOM strategy game.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Iterative / agile development is oftentimes an excuse at the management level for "I have no loving idea what the hell we want to build, so we'll build 20 things and hope one of them works well enough to polish into a shiny turd." To be fair, that's the default for most software projects in general because most people jump into software projects going "MONEY! MAKE STUFF! BUZZZZWOORDDSS! GO GO GO." I wish I was exaggerating.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fangz posted:

Except that this is, you know, also exactly what happened in the process of making the XCOM strategy game.

This is not the same thing. The vision statement of Enemy Unknown never changed, what changed was how many various elements they could include without making it suck. The mission statement of the shooter has changed a couple of times now, which is way worse and not the same thing at all.

necrobobsledder posted:

I wish I was exaggerating.
It's somewhat cathartic to see another programmer in the thread pointing out what I've tried to point out a hundred times. :)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fangz posted:

It's not though.

Having to make major changes during a project is normal and fine as long as you're able to still move towards your end goal. Having to scrap major parts and then put out a PR statement saying that you've "refined your vision" as an excuse for developing the game for 3+ years is a pretty big red flag. Like I said there are always exceptions, and Enemy Unknown might even count as one of them, but there's a reason you rarely hear about game developers working on games for years and then coming up with some major, drastic change in the last year/6 months that suddenly makes the game way better. It's almost always a case of "Well poo poo guess that won't work. How much time/money do we have left?" and leads to sloppy, unpolished games being pushed out because the publisher didn't want to waste any more money on it.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I need a name for my sniper, suggestions? :ghost:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Azzip posted:

More of a reactionary than a brilliant move
I guess after watching EA failing horribly at the Simcity launch, basic competency in publishers looks brilliant to me. :v:

E: New RPS article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/24/that-much-delayed-2k-marin-shooter-is-not-an-excom/#more-150716

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 24, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nastyman posted:

Nice to see someone else with nearly the same class colour coding. I go with White with Supports though.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Prison Warden posted:

Nice to see someone else with nearly the same class colour coding. I go with White with Supports though.

Yellow = Supports
Green = Assaults
Red = Heavies
Black = Snipers

Green means go. Black means death.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

beerinator posted:

Yellow White = Supports
Green Red = Assaults
Red Yellow = Heavies
Black = Snipers

Green means go. Black means death.

Da Red Wunz Go Fasta!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
White supports, red heavies, blue snipers, pink assaults. That's the way I've always done it.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Oh, I do it to blend in. Buddy of mine, makeup guy, he showed me how to do this. Corn starch. You know, some berries, a little licorice for the ladies. Suits my lifestyle, you know. I like to get out and do stuff. Just played nine mutons on the battleship. Just walked off. Nobody there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Da Red Wunz Go Fasta!

Yeah, that's how I go. Plus Green for recruits, because they are green, geddit?

Yellow = Danger, so heavy
Red = Aggression, so assault
White = Medic support
Blue = Support without med kit
Black = Sniper
Purple = Psychic

Oh and one more

Gold = Big drat hero, given out for exceptional bravery above and beyond the call of duty. So the rest of the squad can look up to them and be inspired. :unsmith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I tend to go with,

Red and stormtrooper helmet- Rookies
Bumblebee- Assault
Orange-Heavy
White- Support
Green- Sniper
Guile hair-Psychic

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
olive drab = heavy
grey = assault
cream = support
black = sniper
purple = psi
red(shirt) = rookie

Also everyone gets hats/helmets, so the barracks start to look like a leukaemia ward.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ok, two questions Fangz:

Fangz posted:

Blue = Support without med kit

I haven't played too much after beating EU once, but how often is that a useful setup?
And:

quote:

Gold = Big drat hero, given out for exceptional bravery above and beyond the call of duty. So the rest of the squad can look up to them and be inspired. :unsmith:

Don't you mean "so the squad knows when the aliens have killed the best of them, and panic even more?" or do you just not send them out on missions after they get their ceremonial gold armor?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Squaddies are white.
Sergeants and over are black.
Rookies are red. :colbert:

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 24, 2013

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Keeshhound posted:

Ok, two questions Fangz:

I haven't played too much after beating EU once, but how often is that a useful setup?
And:

I think Supports focused on smoke grenades/suppression/overwatch can be quite useful in their own right, although I usually take a medic support as well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Ok, two questions Fangz:

And:

Don't you mean "so the squad knows when the aliens have killed the best of them, and panic even more?" or do you just not send them out on missions after they get their ceremonial gold armor?

It seems like I usually get a ton of support soldiers, and well, one guy with a med kit is usually enough. I spec a few to throw down two dense smoke grenades per battle, with alien grenades in their inventory. This, with their sprint bonus, makes them fairly good at saving people's lives in instances where I make a miscalculation.

As for gold squad, well, if they die then the rest of the squad had better avenge them and earn their own gold armour!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Disproportionation posted:

I think Supports focused on smoke grenades/suppression/overwatch can be quite useful in their own right, although I usually take a medic support as well.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm so used to relying on supports for healing that I hadn't thought of smoke at all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I play pretty simplistically, and use simple squad loadouts.

My go-to squads tend to be 3 snipers/3 assaults. I tend to set my snipers as high and back as possible while keeping LOS, and use the assaults as a scouting element that can also swarm when necessary. This works pretty well for supply barges and battle ships and other big maps.

My other loadout is 3 assault/ 3 supports. This one is best for small maps and terror/bomb missions in the lategame when I've got plenty of high rank supports.

I stat all supports with sprint>smoke and mirrors> suppression > combat drugs > extra pockets. And then they get loaded out with Titan armor, nano fiber vest, and chitin. They make pretty good tanks, and are very mobile when necessary.

IMO, carrying medikits is a waste, and saving dudes wastes time that can be better spent making every alien on the map dead.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Disproportionation posted:

I think Supports focused on smoke grenades/suppression/overwatch can be quite useful in their own right

I always keep one of these around because I like the idea of having a dedicated damage prevention unit. I don't use them for every mission like I do the medpack focused ones, but they come in handy surprisingly often when poo poo goes south.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nastyman posted:

Since she's a major, and Japanese, the only appropriate choice is Kusanagi.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Fister Roboto posted:

Since she's a major, and Japanese, the only appropriate choice is Kusanagi.

Actually, she's a Colonel now :v:

I was thinking of naming her after the chick from Lost in Translation, in keeping with the Bill Murray theme (seriously, nobody noticed? :smith:) but then I remembered she was American.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I noticed when watching Beagle's playthroughs that his rookies have some sort of custom camos on their assault rifles. Is this something included with a DLC pack or is it a mod ? (google failed me on this one)

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9htbbUgYw&t=721s

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Probably this mod:

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/50

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Incidentally, this link is in the description of every single one of his videos :)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yep, that's exactly it. Thanks !

animatorZed posted:

Incidentally, this link is in the description of every single one of his videos :)

Derp, you're right. I looked everywhere except the most obvious place. :doh:

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Execu-speak posted:

There was also the time proven room clearing tactic of rookie plus primed grenade.

Everyone having a 0 Primed grenade in their pack when fighting any Chryssalid missions, especially terror missions.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
New Live and Impossible is up. Into the murder hole he goes!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dammit beagle, that's a backhoe not a bulldozer!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sphrin posted:

Everyone having a 0 Primed grenade in their pack when fighting any Chryssalid missions, especially terror missions.

It's been too long since OG xcom for me, did primed 0 grenades only go off when they left the soldier? Functioning like a suicide grenade?

Did grenades even kill Chryssalids in the first game? I just remember sacrificing dudes with the HE explosive packs or rocket launchers to kill them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Another Person posted:

On that subject, the following is from his mod change log:

Beagle posted:

Interesting OTS side note - removing the Squad Size upgrades quite possibly makes Asia an even less useful starting point. Another interesting side note - I'm still picking it as my starting continent, haterrrrs

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Coolguye posted:

...The vision statement of Enemy Unknown never changed, what changed was how many various elements they could include without making it suck. The mission statement of the shooter has changed a couple of times now, which is way worse and not the same thing at all.
Ye of little faith! All 2K has to do is to officially name their new shooter "Call of X-Com" and it will succeed :v:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Another Person posted:

I've hit a similar situation on that map in the early game, with 3 left, and 6 floaters hiding way back at the end with a few sectoids still active.
At that point, you really have to immediately dash way the hell back to near the start of the map, which he tried to do, but a turn too late. Its an awful situation, though.

The balance changes he talked about sound a bit interesting.

e: it seems like the soldier health nerfs + armor bonus changes are going to have unintended consequences on soldier hospitalization, since time wounded depends on how much damage is done to actual base health, and damage just to armor doesn't wound them.
Although, what will actually probably happen is that they just get one shot a lot more.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

animatorZed posted:

I've hit a similar situation on that map in the early game, with 3 left, and 6 floaters hiding way back at the end with a few sectoids still active.
At that point, you really have to immediately dash way the hell back to near the start of the map, which he tried to do, but a turn too late. Its an awful situation, though.

It really is one of the worst maps in that it just has massive trenches with little to no cover in the middle of the map, between the truck and the bus, and between the truck and the yellow construction vehicle.

• Locked thread