Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Has anyone using Long War beta 13 had problems with equipment spontaneously vanishing after shooting down UFOs?

Edit: It turns out soldiers coming off of fatigue get equipment such as laser rifles reassigned back to them. Hadn't had a span long enough without any missions for a full fatigue cycle and got confused.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Beagle posted:

I heard some scuttlebutt that the new barracks sorting in B14 will put Officers at the top always, and that apparently means you can prep your base defense team by handpicking people through Officer-ing them. Interesting concept! I already officer my Gunners/Infantry anyway, wouldn't be too hard to officer a Rocketeer here or a Sniper there.

of course this means that mecs and psi will be completely unuseable which is cool because the ability to tank things or panic mechtoids is not useful in a mission where you're overrun with berserkers and mechtoids

maybe they should just make it sort alphabetically so we can name our characters aaaaaaaathomas mercer and aaaaaaalong wang for a mission

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Has anyone using Long War beta 13 had problems with equipment spontaneously vanishing after shooting down UFOs? Shot down a Scout in May and that causes my only Laser Rifle to vanish from my inventory. I had saved a few days before; Exalt made their first hack before the UFO shootdown, but sending a covert operative doesn't seem to affect the inventory. I can reproduce the bug reliably with the scout shootdown, though - happens even if I switch up the interceptor attack order or pick a different covert operative.

what happens if you let the scout escape

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 27, 2014

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Verviticus posted:

of course this means that mecs and psi will be completely unuseable which is cool because the ability to tank things or panic mechtoids is not useful in a mission where you're overrun with berserkers and mechtoids

maybe they should just make it sort alphabetically so we can name our characters aaaaaaaathomas mercer and aaaaaaalong wang for a mission

Someone discovered a hacky way to do it by console spawning a Newfoundland mission as the Base Assault ship comes in, sending a squad on Newfoundland, and when the Base Assault hits the squad in the Skyranger will go on the mission. So hopefully the modmakers can figure out a way to incorporate that workaround into the actual game

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

animatorZed posted:

RNG. RNG never changes :allears:

After getting one of each, the next five promotions in a row were all snipers. Considering fielding a near full squad of snapshot / In the Zone snipers :getin:

yeah, yeah, laugh at the one guy still playing EW. I'll play long war when b14 is out.

Don't feel bad I resisted Longwar up until 13 after buying this at launch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Beagle posted:

I heard some scuttlebutt that the new barracks sorting in B14 will put Officers at the top always, and that apparently means you can prep your base defense team by handpicking people through Officer-ing them. Interesting concept! I already officer my Gunners/Infantry anyway, wouldn't be too hard to officer a Rocketeer here or a Sniper there.
Oh god please no.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Long War has been astoundingly easy for me to resist. I appreciate what they're trying to do but I have no interest in it. The game the pros made has kept me entertained for 250+ hours.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I watched Beagle's amazing play though of the base defense in LW, and was surprised as hell when my first base defense in vanilla had the same enemy makeup as his (I figured it was upped for LW).

Actually was going pretty well. Only lost a bunch of blueshirts, and a heavy (because I completely forgot a blueshirt was gonna turn into a zombie next turn). Then the final push happened with 2 sectoid commanders, 2 mectoids, and a variety of other stuff. Somehow one commander was able to mind control my MEC, despite her having 105 will, and it was all over from there.

I wish mind control didn't have infinite range once it was applied. Or at least they had to maintain line-of-sight. Just couldn't get at the commander to take him out.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Beagle is way more aggressive at chrysalid farming then I am.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Orgophlax posted:

I watched Beagle's amazing play though of the base defense in LW, and was surprised as hell when my first base defense in vanilla had the same enemy makeup as his (I figured it was upped for LW).

The enemy makeup I think is just based on game time (maybe LW tweaks the ramp up?). Seems like there are just a bunch of preset versions of the mission.
I've had the exact same enemies in the base defense as beagle did, down to the enemy placement.

On one campaign where I procrastinated more than usual, it was 3 mechtoids in the first drop + the other stuff. Air wave was 3 cyberdiscs + heavy floaters. Bunch of muton elites in the center. The final wave contained a sectopod instead of the ethereal, + berserkers, mechtoids, and commanders.

The difference is that LW stats / health / skills for enemies make them way, way more threatening and if you actually wait long enough in EW to see those compositions your squad is generally fully decked out in plasma / ghost armor.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So decided to take my covert ops gal on a regular mission for once.
Weird thing happened. Kinda tempted to take her on the mission to see what it looks like.

E: Alas, nothing happened. It was a terror mission so I just restarted.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 27, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So, any general tips on LW? Is it unplayable due to all the air war stuff? I started as africa on ironman normal, is this even doable or should I restart as NA?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

So, any general tips on LW? Is it unplayable due to all the air war stuff? I started as africa on ironman normal, is this even doable or should I restart as NA?

It can lead to an early deathspiral as someone posted above, especially if you don't follow a strict research pattern for the first 3-4 months.
I guess Africa is doable but you probably want to let your african satellite be shot down and then cover NA asap for the bonus (don't forget to rebuild the satellite over your base later).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In the base game, what's a normal amount of money to be getting monthly for the first couple months? I got 250 then 350 this last time I tried, which doesn't seem like much (and left me with two dead squaddies and a lieutenant due to a whiffed 97% shot--on normal, where I guess the AI cheats for me WRT those percentages? :xcom:).

I am so bad :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Not unplayable at all.

A good start is either Asia or NA, then grabbing the other one immediately. The cheesy strat is to start in Asia, immediately build three sats and an uplink, and let your starting sat get shot down. Launch all three sats over NA and move all your planes there. Also, if you need more fighters, remember that you can move repairing fighters off the continent and order a new one so your downtime is only 3 days instead of the longer repair time (this is most effective with NA).

A good research path is Xenobio and then beelining for lasers. Once you're there, you can expand to whatever you think you need (probably aerospace techs).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'd be more worried about the ironman. I've run into a few bugs that while not gamebreaking, would be really frustrating to deal with and can lead to the loss of soldiers.

The most recent one where my rocketeer fired a rocket from inside a bus but when he finished his animation he was outside of the bus and getting flanked.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sistergodiva posted:

So, any general tips on LW? Is it unplayable due to all the air war stuff?

Rumors of Long Wars unbeatability are greatly exaggerated, especially as they're reducing the difficulty on a lot of stuff next update. Also, Beagle has been stomping the campaign on Ironman Impossible, so it's quite doable even on the very highest settings. If you really need a foot up, there's a 'Cinematic Mode' option that gives all your units (both air and ground) a flat 15+ Aim bonus.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks! Going to be stuck in Turkey for a week without internet probably, any idea when the patch hits?

Guess I'll see how it works out. I kinda have to do Ironman though, even if the game can bug out, if not I just compulsively save and load and just finish missions flawlessly, I have no self control.

Edit: Any info on what all the new stats on my guys do? Didn't seem to mention it in the FAQ.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
In Long War, what are council requests to shoot for or avoid? I know about grabbing Xenobiology for corpse requests, but past that I don't know if requests for elerium / alloys / fragments are actually worth it, since they seem to be in really short supply, at least the first few months in.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Never, ever sell Meld. Most campaigns you'll put the aliens into a death spiral about six months in and from then on you'll only be getting paltry amounts of meld. Though the new version looks to be fixing that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Tehan posted:

Never, ever sell Meld. Most campaigns you'll put the aliens into a death spiral about six months in and from then on you'll only be getting paltry amounts of meld. Though the new version looks to be fixing that.

It's especially bad when you get both a march and an april landed transport ship and successfully raid both so that the aliens never actually give you more than 3 meld per canister for the entire campaign and then in December you just say gently caress it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

In the base game, what's a normal amount of money to be getting monthly for the first couple months? I got 250 then 350 this last time I tried, which doesn't seem like much (and left me with two dead squaddies and a lieutenant due to a whiffed 97% shot--on normal, where I guess the AI cheats for me WRT those percentages? :xcom:).

I am so bad :(

While I'm at it, can anyone tell me what I should consider about :

- when to build a MEC, and out of whom
- what research to do and when

For some reason I always have the worst mental block when it comes to tech trees. Civ, here, any RTS, etc. :(

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

For some reason I always have the worst mental block when it comes to tech trees. Civ, here, any RTS, etc. :(

After you have Lasers and a bit of Aerospace, just tech toward whatever you want to play with or whatever equipment upgrades you feel cover a currently underpowered slot - armor, psi, MECs, maybe go to Gauss or Pulse weapons, etc. Thin Man Autopsy + new combat systems is incredibly nice for Chem Grenades.

As for what to MEC, I've heard people recommend Gunners (invincible tanks), Medics (overwatch gods), Assaults (RIP AND TEAR), and a bit later on Engineers (HEAT Ammo).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glidergun posted:

After you have Lasers and a bit of Aerospace, just tech toward whatever you want to play with or whatever equipment upgrades you feel cover a currently underpowered slot - armor, psi, MECs, maybe go to Gauss or Pulse weapons, etc. Thin Man Autopsy + new combat systems is incredibly nice for Chem Grenades.

As for what to MEC, I've heard people recommend Gunners (invincible tanks), Medics (overwatch gods), Assaults (RIP AND TEAR), and a bit later on Engineers (HEAT Ammo).

I meant for the base game, not Long War. I think I'm the only person in existence who hasn't beaten the base game at all :(

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
"Hooray, things! Material goods that make my life betteTHATS A DILDO."

-Beagle, 9/25/14

Glad I decided to catch up on the stream.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Beagle's starting to worry me a little with his lust for alien death. Him farming Chrysallids is one thing, laughing maniacally while yelling "flame on" and flamethrowering a bunch of EXALT is another.

:flame::laugh::toot:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Beagle's starting to worry me a little with his lust for alien death. Him farming Chrysallids is one thing, laughing maniacally while yelling "flame on" and flamethrowering a bunch of EXALT is another.

:flame::laugh::toot:

He has learnt that the solution to all his EXALT woes is a pair of flamethrower MECs with Jellied Elerium fuel. What was previously a terrifying murderblob is now a swarm of hapless 'I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION!'.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dominic White posted:

Rumors of Long Wars unbeatability are greatly exaggerated, especially as they're reducing the difficulty on a lot of stuff next update. Also, Beagle has been stomping the campaign on Ironman Impossible, so it's quite doable even on the very highest settings. If you really need a foot up, there's a 'Cinematic Mode' option that gives all your units (both air and ground) a flat 15+ Aim bonus.
Yeah, I probably whine about stuff in this thread more than anyone and even I'll say Long War is both playable and beatable in its current form. There are a few pitfalls in terms of suddenly varying difficulty and a few balance features I really don't like just through personal taste, but overall it's a very enjoyable and remarkably stable package. Very few (and usually pretty mild) bugs and strong tactics will overpower just about anything.

E: However I'd still recommend not playing on Ironman just in case you do get hit with a rare game-destroying bug.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Outside of Beagle are there any other decent youtubers / lpers who play a good game of long war?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

E: However I'd still recommend not playing on Ironman just in case you do get hit with a rare game-destroying bug.

Yeah, Beagle is running honor-system Ironman. There's a few bugs that require saving/loading to get past, so I wouldn't use the games built-in implementation of it right now.

It does seem that most of those bugs (and they seem to have their roots in vanilla issues) have been squashed in B14, too.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, Beagle is running honor-system Ironman. There's a few bugs that require saving/loading to get past, so I wouldn't use the games built-in implementation of it right now.

It does seem that most of those bugs (and they seem to have their roots in vanilla issues) have been squashed in B14, too.

Beagle is playing actual Ironman mode. Ironman doesn't stop you from saving, quitting, and reloading, it stops you from loading old saves.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

tithin posted:

Outside of Beagle are there any other decent youtubers / lpers who play a good game of long war?

Marbozir has a good, long Let's Play.

XCOM Enemy Within Long War Let's Play

He starts off one step down from Impossible difficulty, but after the base assault (100+ episodes in) he changes it to Impossible.

With all that said, he's really good at making quick decisions and getting out of bad situations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

quote:

Ciaphas posted:

In the base game, what's a normal amount of money to be getting monthly for the first couple months? I got 250 then 350 this last time I tried, which doesn't seem like much (and left me with two dead squaddies and a lieutenant due to a whiffed 97% shot--on normal, where I guess the AI cheats for me WRT those percentages? ).

I am so bad

I'm doing a fresh run of base EW now.

Assuming you're playing on Classic difficulty:
The early game is all about spamming satellites. As such, engineering is more important than science. Build a workshop early on and prioritize missions that give you engineers so you can get a second uplink quickly. You'll want at least two satellites in reserve at any point and only deploy them right before a council meeting and ONLY on red alerted countries*. DON'T launch them just to make more money at the month's end; your council funds aren't the only source of income and keeping a spare satellite for next month's emergencies is more important than an extra 80 credits.
Resist the urge to get a thermal generator in the first couple months; it's too expensive.

For science projects, lots of people like to rush laser weapons, but I just go with the plot essential ones and ones that get done quickly, so I end up with lasers round about the same time as Exalt and don't have to buy them myself.
I personally favour gene mods over mechs and don't get one until I'm well into the game.

Anyway, it's worked out for me: I've got blanket satellite coverage and a killer squad and I've just found by best soldier (an assault with sprint, invisibility, rapid fire and high aim) is also psychic, so that's nice.

*unless you've got like 5 in reserve and can close off a continent with 1

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tithin posted:

Northernlion is an experience second to none.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

scalded schlong posted:

Northernlion is an experience second to none.

"I didn't say there was nothing better," the King replied. "I said there was nothing like it."

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Dominic White posted:

He has learnt that the solution to all his EXALT woes is a pair of flamethrower MECs with Jellied Elerium fuel. What was previously a terrifying murderblob is now a swarm of hapless 'I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION!'.

Flamethrowers with jellied elerium are the correct answer to drat near anything in Long War, in my experience thus far. Good AOE damage, panic disables the enemy quite effectively - even some enemies that tend to be hard to disable like sectoid commanders or ethereals - and the fairly static damage amount (especially when combined with the previously mentioned panic) makes it great for setting up arc thrower opportunities.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
LW: So I took the earlier advice not to expand satellite coverage to more than 2 continents, but now while converting to laser cannons a lot of large UFOs are appearing. I've just flat out avoiding to intercept them at them moment, but not sure how to proceed from here. Should I focus on target and dodge boosts or is there any critical research I need to take on the large classes?

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Dervyn posted:

LW: So I took the earlier advice not to expand satellite coverage to more than 2 continents, but now while converting to laser cannons a lot of large UFOs are appearing. I've just flat out avoiding to intercept them at them moment, but not sure how to proceed from here. Should I focus on target and dodge boosts or is there any critical research I need to take on the large classes?

I haven't had much success vs large UFOs before Firestorms. Maybe once or twice with boosters and phoenix coilgun with crack pilots I could force a large UFO to abandon mission (or shoot it down? I don't remember) but each time at the cost of long repairs.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Is there actually a proper modern windows port of the of the original game anyway? Fan made or dosbox bodged? I keep trying and searching but there is always some monumental gently caress up that makes it unplayable.

Tried last night, got the planetscape working ok but then battlescape mode scrolls insanely fast the moment the mouse pointer the gets near the edgo of the screen.

Basically is there an actual working native windows port or a magic dosbox config that actually works without some 6 hour mission of experimentation.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Is there actually a proper modern windows port of the of the original game anyway? Fan made or dosbox bodged? I keep trying and searching but there is always some monumental gently caress up that makes it unplayable.

Tried last night, got the planetscape working ok but then battlescape mode scrolls insanely fast the moment the mouse pointer the gets near the edgo of the screen.

Basically is there an actual working native windows port or a magic dosbox config that actually works without some 6 hour mission of experimentation.

There's OpenXcom which also includes a ton of QoL improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm doing a fresh run of base EW now.

Assuming you're playing on Classic difficulty:
The early game is all about spamming satellites. As such, engineering is more important than science. Build a workshop early on and prioritize missions that give you engineers so you can get a second uplink quickly. You'll want at least two satellites in reserve at any point and only deploy them right before a council meeting and ONLY on red alerted countries*. DON'T launch them just to make more money at the month's end; your council funds aren't the only source of income and keeping a spare satellite for next month's emergencies is more important than an extra 80 credits.
Resist the urge to get a thermal generator in the first couple months; it's too expensive.

For science projects, lots of people like to rush laser weapons, but I just go with the plot essential ones and ones that get done quickly, so I end up with lasers round about the same time as Exalt and don't have to buy them myself.
I personally favour gene mods over mechs and don't get one until I'm well into the game.

Anyway, it's worked out for me: I've got blanket satellite coverage and a killer squad and I've just found by best soldier (an assault with sprint, invisibility, rapid fire and high aim) is also psychic, so that's nice.

*unless you've got like 5 in reserve and can close off a continent with 1

I was playing on Normal. I know Normal cheats on your behalf a bit in combat, but what about on the Geoscape? If it's too much I'll consider switching to Classic, but... :ohdear:

Also new question, what can I sell on the Grey Market, generally, at least early on? I've never been sure so I've only sold stuff that explicitly says it has no use, like damaged UFO parts.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Locked thread