Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

how are they related to caramel apples? The ones rolled in peanuts, obviously

Second cousin once removed, via Great-Aunt Esther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

how are they related to caramel apples? The ones rolled in peanuts, obviously

Gluten-free sandwich

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

I do love that description but given that they are breaded and not pastry, I'd actually classify them as a type of croquette. Which is, of course, a type of sandwich.

Are you suggesting that cottage, shepherd's and fish are not varieties of pie?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're all sandwiches. Search your heart, you know it to be true

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Are you suggesting that cottage, shepherd's and fish are not varieties of pie?

I am not rising to your bait. None of them are breaded, and a pie can be topped with mash. BUT NOT BREADCRUMBS.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Hey thanks for the meatball tips. Gonna try making lamb koftas with puree'd onion and garlic next time.

I'm gonna try homebrewing root-beer and ginger ale this weekend I think.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

vermin posted:

I'm gonna try homebrewing root-beer and ginger ale this weekend I think.

Worrying about the carcinogenic potential of sassafras is silly right?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm no doctor, but it looks that way:

quote:

Safrole is the principle component of oil of sassafras (up to 90%). It was formerly used as the main flavor ingredient in root beer. It is also present in the oils of basil, nutmeg, and mace (Nijssen et al., 1996). The HERP value for average consumption of naturally-occurring safrole in spices is 0.03%. Safrole and safrole-containing sassafras oils were banned from use as food additives in the U.S. and Canada (Canada Gazette, 1995; U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 1960). Before the 1964 ban in the U.S., a person consuming a glass of sassafras root beer per day for life, would have had a HERP value of 0.2% (Ames et al., 1987). Sassafras root can still be purchased in health food stores and can therefore be used to make tea; the recipe is on the World Wide Web.

So for an apples-to-apples comparison, safrole in sassafras root beer scores a 0.03% compared to 3.6% for "alcoholic beverages, all kinds", 1.8% for beer, 0.6% for wine, and 0.04% for lettuce. What's more, if you have one sassafras root beer per day for life gives a HERP of 0.2%, still less than even the non-lifetime stat for wine.

Source: National Institute of Health
found via

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
After years of thinking about it, I bought myself a Weber 18" smoker today. Doing a single rack of ribs now. I seem to have the temp under control. Feels good.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
First attempt at smash burgers at home. Wife was not looking forward to it, did not like the description, why so thin, they'll be dry, etc etc. She was pleasantly surprised. They were good, but I need to use more meat as they were too small for the buns. Or press them harder, but need something else to smash them with. Tried on cast iron and stainless steel skillets, I think they came out the same.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It helps a little to let the meat come up all the way to room temperature, just so the fat is softer when you go to smash it. Use whatever gives you the best leverage and really mash it down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

vermin posted:

Cooked meatballs for the first time. Gotta say though I didn't really notice them being any tastier than the regular meatsauce. I guess it's really about texture.

Make sure you're using a panade, which is a mixture of breadcrumbs and some sort of liquid (I generally use stock but you can also use milk). I find that a 1/2 cup of panade per 1lb of meatball meat makes for a really tasty, springy meatball.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

theres a will theres moe posted:

After years of thinking about it, I bought myself a Weber 18" smoker today. Doing a single rack of ribs now. I seem to have the temp under control. Feels good.

Hey, I bought a (offset) smoker today too for $50 at a yard sale! I bought it during a time when my budget is really strained but when am I going to come across a bargain like that again? I'll have to wait for the next paycheck to cook anything on it of course...
For that matter, no root beer/ginger ale this weekend.

Pollyanna posted:

Make sure you're using a panade, which is a mixture of breadcrumbs and some sort of liquid (I generally use stock but you can also use milk). I find that a 1/2 cup of panade per 1lb of meatball meat makes for a really tasty, springy meatball.

Gonna try to mix breadcrumbs, herbs, pureed onion & garlic, eggs, with some pork and beef next time. Maybe some cooked rice?

I wonder if adding that puree of onion and garlic to my hamburger would make for a tastier burger :yum:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
imo, panades are kinda gross. it turns a meat emulsion into more of a meatloaf. yeah, they're moister, but also you run the risk of the meat flavor being washed out, the texture getting grainy, not getting good browning, etc. with proper salting and proper technique / temperature control (meat gotta be ice cold) I believe meat fibers can hold enough added moisture on their own to make springy, flavorful meatballs to where you don't need any kind of panade.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I found a new hobby while at the mall or grocery stores.

Going to the deli and buying samples of the 1-3 least sold cheeses they have.

It's not always good but the result is never boring.

My latest purchase got me a blue cheese that was so strong that it made my mouth go numb and it tasted a bit like Toluene smells. No regrets though. I nibble on it every now and then once I get sensation back.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dejawesp posted:

I found a new hobby while at the mall or grocery stores.

Going to the deli and buying samples of the 1-3 least sold cheeses they have.

It's not always good but the result is never boring.

My latest purchase got me a blue cheese that was so strong that it made my mouth go numb and it tasted a bit like Toluene smells. No regrets though. I nibble on it every now and then once I get sensation back.

Do you ask for the least popular?

I ate a double-fermented blue cheese where a piece half the size of my baby fingernail made my tongue go numb. One of the strongest things I've ever eaten.

I recently tried a Brezain from my local deli. Never heard of or had it before but it's smoked (a smoked Raclette, I believe) and I love smoked cheese so I thought I'd give it a shot. It was really, really delicious.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

therattle posted:

Do you ask for the least popular?

I ate a double-fermented blue cheese where a piece half the size of my baby fingernail made my tongue go numb. One of the strongest things I've ever eaten.

I recently tried a Brezain from my local deli. Never heard of or had it before but it's smoked (a smoked Raclette, I believe) and I love smoked cheese so I thought I'd give it a shot. It was really, really delicious.

Yeah least popular. The latest was "Roquefort papillon"

I most interesting one was one I couldn't even get the name of. It was from a small town grocery store. The cheese wasn't in their system so they couldn't give me a name or even proper price for it. It came wrapped in plastic, foil and paper, Even while triple wrapped and stored in two Tupperwares it made the whole fridge stink. It was brownish, tasted very salty and was ridiculously strong. It stung my tongue like a 12 volt battery when I tasted it.

It wasn't blue cheese but the texture was closer to cloister cheese.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 10, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dejawesp posted:

I most interesting one was one I couldn't even get the name of. It was from a small town grocery store. The cheese wasn't in their system so they couldn't give me a name or even proper price for it. It came wrapped in plastic, foil and paper, Even while triple wrapped and stored in two Tupperwares it made the whole fridge stink. It was brownish, tasted very salty and was ridiculously strong. It stung my tongue like a 12 volt battery when I tasted it.

I'm surprised they didn't pay you to take it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

therattle posted:

I'm surprised they didn't pay you to take it.

They did refuse to cut a piece for me. I had to buy the whole thing or not at all. To be fair they did price me for what amounts to the price of prepacked household cheese so I think they wanted to get rid of it.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 10, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dejawesp posted:

Roquefort is great. My ex used to call it 'brokefoot' cos of the smell. Lovely with some Branstons pickle.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

feedmegin posted:

Roquefort is great. My ex used to call it 'brokefoot' cos of the smell. Lovely with some Branstons pickle.

Yep it was awesome. I'm no cheese expert so I just ate it with a knife

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Roquefort is the poo poo. I used to have dinner get togethers where about half my motivation was to have an excuse to buy weird cheeses for a little appetizer cheese board.

vermin posted:

Hey, I bought a (offset) smoker today too for $50 at a yard sale! I bought it during a time when my budget is really strained but when am I going to come across a bargain like that again? I'll have to wait for the next paycheck to cook anything on it of course...
For that matter, no root beer/ginger ale this weekend.

Wow, congratulations, that's a great deal!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pan-fried a salmon steak until it was about 138' in the middle and pulled it off to rest. I really, really don't feel like cooking today so I'm probably just gonna keep it in the fridge until I feel like making that sandefjordsmor sauce.

The best part of pan fried salmon is when everything except the very center of the fish is overcooked to poo poo because lol, contact heat :drum:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Was the cut with or without skin?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Was the cut with or without skin?

With, it was one of these tho:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm making chicken with 40 cloves today, except I boosted that to 80 cloves because you can't really have enough roasted garlic.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm making chicken with 40 cloves today, except I boosted that to 80 cloves because you can't really have enough roasted garlic.

Protip: If you omit the chicken, that leaves more room in the pan to add more cloves of garlic

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tendales posted:

Protip: If you omit the chicken, that leaves more room in the pan to add more cloves of garlic

Oh my goodness......

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh my goodness......

Even better, just use a larger animal, such as a goat or shark, to maximize garlic capacity.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I love the simplicity of propane. Flip a few knobs, turn on a lighter, wait 20 minutes.

That being said, cooking with charcoal and wood in an offset smoker is so much tastier. drat. Just drat. drat drat drat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

now try chicken with 40 cloves, the spice

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you guys have digestive issues from roasted garlic? I can eat anything else fine, spice, grease, street carts, lots of fiber, you name it -- even raw garlic is fine. But one clove of roasted garlic and I'm miserable for like 18 hours. It sucks because roasted garlic is so perfect I could eat it by the head otherwise.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 11, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hauki posted:

now try chicken with 40 cloves, the spice

Sounds like an episode of Townsend's.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Suspect Bucket posted:

Even better, just use a larger animal, such as a goat or shark, to maximize garlic capacity.

This is the wrong approach, surely? Try with a quail to maximise garlic:meat ratio.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

This is the wrong approach, surely? Try with a quail to maximise garlic:meat ratio.

It all depends on whether you are going for absolute or relative maximum garlic.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What we need is something with a massive cavity. Perhaps a kiwi? Largest egg to body ratio. Could get a lot of garlic in there.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Cornish game hen filled with cloves of garlic, eggs, and sausage
stuffed inside a cooking pumpkin filled with avacado

I don't actually know what we're talking about.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
a trussed chicken literally busrting out the seams with thosands of black pepercorns, imagine, my friends, if u wolud,....

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

a trussed chicken literally busrting out the seams with thosands of black pepercorns, imagine, my friends, if u wolud,....

And when you cut it it explodes like an anti-personnel mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

therattle posted:

And when you cut it it explodes like an anti-personnel mine?

Sounds delicious.