Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel was a little relieved this one hadn't heard of the massacre at the tower. He hoped it wasn't the news of the day at Erelhei-Cinlue.

"If you're traveling to the city," Taldrel addresses the drow, "Show us the way. We'll come with you, just to the outskirts if you like. Safety in numbers, after all." He left unsaid his wavering faith in Borok's ability to get them there without encountering more horrors of the Underdark. That and he was hoping he'd be able to convince this local to share her knowledge of the city. Locals always knew where to go and where not to, and it sounded like they'd want to avoid the slave market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.
Lorn Ardnen

Lorn snorts audibly. "Clearly, you were poised to spirit your friend here away," he says with barely surpressed mirth. "Purloined from the offending tentacle of a giant Roper, seconds from its gaping maw. Beneath the supernatural senses of a horde of slavering trogolodites, you would slip away unnoticed, only the bloodcurdling screams of your charge to mark your passage." Unable to hold it in, more from relief than genuine mirth or mockery, the priest enjoys a brief guffaw at his conjured imagery.

"I needed that," he announces, wiping a tear from his eye. "I mean you no disrespect - Ilminidia was it? - as clearly you're a formidable warrior, but I think even your talents may not have been up to that task." Taking a swig from the skin at his belt, Lorn swallows and replaces the cap, offering a drink to the newcomers.

"A guide would be welcome, and you seem to know your way around down here. You seem to want this man alive, a condition from which I doubt he would be suffering without our help. Can we not forge a mutually beneficial relationship?" Lorn gives the Drow his best smile - one not inconsiderable, if a bit matured by age and hardship.

"Lorn, by the way," he announces, remembering to introduce himself, if somewhat concisely.

Spending two surges to get to full

ForestHobo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 31, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow does not look terribly impressed by Lorn's levity. Not one bit. "While the creatures that dwell here may be a terrible novelty for you, Human, they are simply a fact of life for those of us who live here. And, in fact, you should thank the Spider Queen that your aimless wandering had you stumble only upon some blind and hungry beasts. There are far from the worst things that dwell in the darkness." The caution was no doubt heard by the group, but it was pointed at Lorn.

"A woman doesn't come to be my age unless she is skilled-" Ilminidia seems to suddenly disappear from view. "-and well versed in many tricks to keep herself alive." The words come from directly behind Lorn, but before a solid gaze can be levelled at her she is gone again. "I would have been spirited him away and to safety, were the fight not foisted upon us." She makes a point of to Lorn, back where she started from. "And, if you care to see, none of this blood is mine." The Drow gestures to herself, with something of a smile. She declines the drink.

"A guide?" She asks of Lorn. "To take you to the city safely?" She turns it to Taldrel. "I don't just stroll about the Underdark looking for unfortunates in need of help, you know. I have my own work to do here," Slight gesture to the other Drow. "And it is not something I can just drop."

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Lorn Ardnen

"Clearly," Lorn quips dryly, taking another drink before tucking the skin back onto his belt. It is somewhat nebulous whether he is responding to the first of the Drow's comments or the second.

Turning to the thus far silent male, Drow, Lorn nods his head in acknowledgement. "What about you? Do you speak Common? What are you doing down here?" Noticing both of the Drows' interest in the mushrooms strewn about the floor, Lorn gives them a cursory glance.

Heal 1d20+12 27

and

Nature 1d20+7 22

check to see if those mushrooms are remarkable in any way. (Food, poison, medicinal, etc)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Ilminidia's words don't do much to allay Cebith's suspicion – they do have some effect, certainly,but she can tell it will take a lot more than that to gain his trust. Then again, as a drow herself, she is all too aware that most dark elves never quite cease to expect that dagger in their back entirely, no matter how safe they think themselves.

Cebith moves cautiously along, keeping his distance from Ilminidia and her arachnoid companion; he regards Taldrel and the others with even more distrust, however, hardly showing much in the way of gratitude for the role the half-elf and his allies played in his rescue. "Shali...I – I left her in a safe place, I hope," he responds, his gaze returning to his fellow drow again. "She is sick...very sick," he explains, real distress in his voice now as he begins gathering up the mushrooms again. "I must return to her! These, I think," Cebith adds, indicating the bulbous fungi in his hands, "may help her get better. They have to!" He looks Ilminidia straight in the eye. "Alauniira is lost – her blood must endure, if only so she can be properly avenged."

Landra, meanwhile, looks over the more or less badly mutilated bodies of their enemies. For the most part, it looks like grimlocks do not value personal possessions very highly: there's little of worth to be found on their corpses, with the notable exception of the one who appeared to have been the chief shaman among them. On him, the eladrin finds a grubby pouch containing a few platinum pieces of varying provenance; moreover, her attention is drawn to a large, night-black gem set in his staff that looks like it might fetch some coin from the right buyer.

Cebith looks at Lorn, making no move to accept the proffered skin as more profound mistrust flares in his eyes again and. "I little speak your tongue," he responds haltingly in a heavy accent, tilting his head a little as he attempts to work out what the priest wants. "We run from the city, my spouse's child and I," the drow adds simply, matter-of-factly even. "We die if we do not run."

As Cebith speaks, Lorn studies the mushrooms in question, and while he can hardly claim to be an authority on the subject of subterranean fungi, a degree of generalisation based on his above-ground experiences remains viable. Based on this, it looks to the Erathan as though these mushrooms do not serve much of a purpose – their nutritional value is middling at best, and if anything they probably are slightly poisonous: not sufficiently so to kill a healthy person, though a severely upset stomach certainly is in the cards.

About then, it occurs to Borok and Ilminidia both, by virtue of being learned or through simple first-hand experience, that ropers hoard any trinkets and valuables acquired from previous victims in their gizzards, to help with their digestion of all things. It's unsavoury work to be sure, but there exists more than one tale of would-be roper prey actually profiting from the creature's attack after cutting open its carcase and retrieving its accumulated spoils...

Landra finds 800 gold worth of platinum pieces on the deceased Dark Caller, and the gem'll be worth something as well if you can find a buyer.

One thing: when it comes to skill checks concerning the local fauna/flora and such, you will generally want to use Dungeoneering rather than Nature, unless the subject of the check is obviously part of the natural above-ground world.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

For all it mattered to Ilminidia, Cebith could think she was constantly moments away from stabbing him in the back. So long as he went along with what she needed.

"No matter how safe it is, it's won't be wise to delay returning to her." She tells him, disregarding his attempt to keep distance from her and Sszzt and trailing him. "Sick?" She repeats, concern in her voice as well. Though not nearly as distressed as Cebith was for his child. "Sick how? Venom? Poison? Injury? Infection?" Mushrooms and alchemy were two things that hadn't ever snagged her interest, so she could only hope he know better. "Calm down, Cebith. A panicked Drow helps no one and your little one needs you to be strong. I'm here to aid you, Shali will pull through." She does her best to assure him, though full-well knows her words would mean little. "And Alauniira hasn't been thrown to the grand arena just quite yet."

"This is the situation you know so little about." She follows Cebith's limited Common with her own accented version, not sounding that happy. "But the political movements are irrelevant for now, his little one is sick and needs help." She looks to the Half-Elf. "You kept the Dwarf from death, yes? So you can heal?" She looks beyond him to the rest of the group. "Are any of you healers?" The Drow sighs. "If you need a to guide to Erelhei-Cinlue then I can take you," She relents, bargaining for what she needed. "But I need to see to the safety of him and his child before anything else."

Spotting the eladrin stoop down among the dead brings a small smile back to her face. "If you really want to profit from the dead," She calls to the eladrin as she groped around the fallen corpses. "Cut open the roper's belly."

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Lorn Ardnen

Eyebrows furrowing at the news, Lorn nods. "I'm an experienced healer," the priest replies, tilting a head at his dwarven companion, "and I suspect Borok may have as much experience, or more, than I. Your guidance is welcome. Lead us to the child, quickly then, and we will do what we can."

It turned Lorn's stomach to use the child's sickness as a bargaining chip, but the Drow had offered, and their mission, unfortunately, was larger than the illness of one, no matter how young. In a way he was relieved - securing Ilminidia's help was an excuse to treat the child rather than pressing on toward Erelhei-Cinlue immediately.

Addressing Cebith, he adds, "If those mushrooms are similar to what are grown underground on the surface, they'll be of little use. Poison."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

"My healing abilities are focused on the battlefield," Taldrel replies, "So unless your girl took an arrow to the knee, I'll be of little help. Lorn or Borok will be of more help." Taldrel was surprised to hear the drow speaking of wanting to help another. This woman didn't seem to be related to the child, but was obviously very concerned. He supposed he shouldn't be surprised that the genuine article was more complicated than the stories told to scare children led one to believe.

"Let me give you a hand with that," he says to Landra, already poking over the dead roper. He uses his spear to prop the thing up and aid gutting it.

Assuming Landra is down for some dirty work, let's see what this thing had for lunch.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"The Human and Dwarf are healers. They'll help Shali." She helps Cebith with the Common, just to expedite matters. "They need me to get them to the city, they won't get unless they help." It might help him agree to it. Might. "Human says they look poisonous too, for what that's worth from him." She says of the mushrooms, ending with a shrug.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Landra

"Waste not, want not," is her laconic response to the Drowish sally, even as the drama plays out between Ilminidia, her...quarry, and their priestly pair. But her tone is distracted as she searches for a backup knife and gets to her grisly work. Sparring with the Drow could wait - they did need to get to Eredhei-Cinlu, and, welcoming as the city might be, a guide would be sorely needed. The best thing she could do for their mission right now was to refrain from refighting the old battle. For a moment.

Spending 2 surges, going to 87/95

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Borok

Borok, it should be noted, has little use for the Dark Elves, but children are precious to the Dwarves, and the old priest is a grandfather many times over, so...

"The child...she is sick? Or is she injured? We will help if we can, of course."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
"Just...sick," Cebith replies to Ilminidia with a shrug of his shoulders and a concerned downward cast of his eyes. "She can't keep any food down, and she has been suffering from dreadful muscle spasms. I don't know what it might be; Shali hasn't been injured at any point I'm aware of. It could be some kind of poison, I suppose – I know nothing of such things," he continues, giving the female drow a strange look which somehow manages to be defiant, demure, and self-righteous all at once; she can tell that despite all, he is keeping a tight lid on the emotions that doubtlessly boil within him.

The drow looks at Lorn, then at the mushrooms he is holding, then back at the Erathan, now clearly doubting his assessment of the fungi in addition to the human's reliability. "I keep them," Cebith finally responds. "If you do not help Shali, maybe they can," he adds almost stubbornly, as if whatever Lorn and the dwarf might do to his daughter can't be any worse than the mushrooms' allegedly poisonous effect, even Ilminidia and Borok's assurances apparently doing little to make him trust the surfacers any more. "We go?" Cebith asks, pale green eyes narrowing a little, before he sets off in the direction he originally ran off in, looking back every few steps – not just to make sure the others are keeping up but also because he doesn't dare turn his back on them for long, no doubt.

Meanwhile, digging around in the roper's guts proves to be thoroughly undignified work, to the surprise of absolutely no one. If one can look past the stench and the (somehow still bubbling) tarry, dark blue blood that proceeds to get just about anywhere, though, there are certain benefits to be had this way, for it soon becomes clear that this creature dined on some choice victims in the past. While there was, once, a wealth of precious stones and jewellery to be found in its gizzard, most of it has been rendered worthless by now through the rigours of digestion; only two items, a pyramidal glass prism and a badly scratched golden ring, can be recovered – and why they have endured becomes plain as soon as the characteristic aura of magic emanating from each of them has had a chance to make itself known, surely prompting a further probing into their abilities.

Sorting through the roper's intestines yields an Elemental Prism (Borok's wishlist) and a Ring of Unwelcome Gifting (Lorn's wishlist)!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"She may have contracted something while you were on the run, we all know it's not just the slavering beasts out here that are deadly. And knowing her mother is marked for death probably isn't helping any." Ilminidia guesses. While a Drow's life is rife in death, poison, backstabbing and intrigue, children were usually spared from the full force of it until they came of age. Not exactly a huge feat of skill and power to murder a child, is it? "Or, poison. Though the best sorts of poisons don't actually look like they're acting like a poison. Or are made to purposefully show you are poisoned if you need to make a point about it. And with the Matriarch's ire it could be either, or anything in between." She shrugs, realising that it didn't actually help narrow anything down.

To be fair, Ilminidia didn't trust the surfacers. I mean, jumping down into the Underdark chasing some crazed mage, and leaping into fights that weren't theirs? Clearly they were all mad. But the situation dictated what she needed to do, in spite of this. The Drow nods, waves for the others to come with, and walks after Cebith. Sszzt falls besides his mistress, clambering up the walls and following.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 7, 2012

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel can only nod, trying not to appear put off by their impromptu companion's familiarity with poisons. "Alright, let's just get there." Taldrel whispers to his language-impaired companions that the mother of the girl was marked for death. He left the obvious political concerns unspoken.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Borok

Recalling tales he had heard of things found in such creature's stomachs, Borok peers interestedly into the pile of dross, and his eyes pick out the prism immediately.

He picks it up and bounces it thoughtfully on one gnarled palm, "Now this...what a strange road this tear of Moradin must have traveled to end up here. What a strange road, indeed..."

He seems lost in thought for a few moments, then shakes himself abruptly, "We should move along. If the...Drow's young one is in need of aid, well, then we shall aid her."

ooc: Takin dat prism

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Cebith proceeds to lead you through the gloom of the Underdark to the best of his ability. It's apparent that he isn't much of an outdoorsman (so to speak), for the drow must pause frequently to get his bearings, and seems on the verge of being utterly lost more than once. Still, he eventually manages to retrace his steps and locate the hiding place where he left his daughter – and not a moment too soon, it appears.

It is little more than a tiny natural chamber in the rock, accessible only through a narrow, inconspicuous hole near the top of one of the many, equally unimposing stone walls forming the winding tunnels of the Underdark. In choosing it, and perhaps more importantly in finding it in the first place, Cebith displayed some degree of astuteness at least, if only because it is all but impossible to enter the chamber for anyone much bulkier than the slender drow, thereby ruling out many of the predators and malevolent creatures stalking the Deeps. Even within, there is room for perhaps three people at most, not counting the drow and his ailing child, and there would be less room still if they had more in the way of possessions; there is only a worn-looking, military-style backpack crammed near to bursting with what must be various supplies and hastily gathered provisions.

The girl, Shali, looks to be eleven or twelve years old maybe, as a human would reckon it. Dressed in padded leathers recalling a kind of fencing outfit, her short, white hair is tangled with sweat, and the unhealthy, feverish pallor to her dark skin conveys the sickness afflicting her even if the circumstances wouldn't. There is thin, bloody vomit spattered on the young drow's chin and the cloak, probably her father's, that serves as a makeshift pillow, while her back is arched in an obviously painful, unnatural way, as if invisible hands were trying to break her in two. The girl herself looks frightfully lifeless at first glance, her limbs and muscles locked up so severely as to render her entirely unmoving; a close examination reveals but the faintest hint of a pulse, fluttering weakly like a dying moth.

Cebith drops to his knees by his daughter's side, the numerous strangers following him forgotten. "She's going cold!" he exclaims, holding her small hand in his, and whatever opinion one might have of drow in general, the look of grieved, helpless anger on his face is genuine, and perhaps even distressing to behold.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Clearly Cebith hadn't spent much time out of Erelhei-Cinlue. A wise move all considered, but it was obviously showing now to his detriment. Ilminidia sighs loud and annoyed on the more than one occasion Cebith needed to stop and get his bearings. Good thing she found him if this was how things were three days into living rough.

Though credit where credit is due, the hiding place was a fine on indeed. "Out of the way, tiny entrance, no way anything could slither in there easily. Good eye." She commends, as she followed Cebith inside. Unfortunetly there wasn't much to be said about the interior decorating. It was largely rocks, more rocks, the overstuffed rucksack that probably belonged to Alauniira in some fashion. And bloody vomit around where Shali lay in obvious pain, heartbeat weak and skin going cold to the touch. Poor child.

"drat it all!" She curses under her breath, barking something guttural to Sszzt that caused the spider to ever so quickly evacuate the hideout. Ilminidia squeezes out behind him, staring daggers at the surfacers. "She dies and the only place you'll be led is the Drop." She hisses at them, specifically Borok and the Human. "Help her." The Drow grabs Lorn and the Dwarf and shoves them both towards the small hole that was the entrance. Ever so helpful, she even aided the more rotund Dwarf to squeeze his frame into the hideout before going in herself. With the two fatter healers it was a bit tight, but Ilminidia wasn't going to leave them alone with Cebith or the little one. Sszzt stood watch outside, perched on the wall above the entrance.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel can only stare at the drow blankly as she corrals the two priests into the tiny hole. He pictured the drow as cold and calculating, but this one was clearly emotionally invested here. Strange, he thought.

He looks to Landra and Calderos and shrugs. Seemed all they could do was wait.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Borok Stormspeaker

At the sight of the suffering child, Borok's lingering doubts disappear and he moves quickly to her side, pushing the father gently but inexorably out of the way as his big, gnarled hands gently hold the girl's head still as he delicately peels back an eyelid.

"Not seeing the light, she is not...nor hearing our voices, I don't think."

He bends close to her face and smells her breath, scowling as he scents the blood and something else...something bitter and metallic, then pushes a quivering arm aside so he can feel briefly at her armpit.

"Hot. Killing fever," he sighs and sits back, "Poison it is. A foul one. Torog's Dream, in the common tongue. Seen it, I have, after battles fought with the Drow kind, from poisoned weapons."

He looks to the father, "It is too late to try herbs or purging. I can attempt a...a consecration of her person, but make no mistake, it is a religious rite, and if she survives, she will have a tie to Kardr.She need not become a worshiper, but forever after, the Thunderer will have a claim upon her. He may never call upon her, but he may. She cannot choose this for herself, but as her father, you can choose for her."

He looks to Lorn, "It is not a certain procedure. I would welcome your aid if we attempt it."

ooc: Diagnosis from MMAgCh. Gonna wait to make my Cure Disease roll until Lorn rolls his aid another.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

And poison. Obvious, deadly poison. "Looks like you hadn't made a clear escape from the Matriarch after all." She mutters to herself, looking down at the child as the Dwarf looked her over. Cebith's common tongue seeming lacking even while he was moderately calm, Ilminidia translates the Dwarf's words for the Drow. She adds her own embellishments in places, but all the information Borok said was translated across. "That is all you can do?" She puts to the pair of surfacers. "To remove this death sentence and replace it with the ire of Lolth is only delaying the inevitable until she steps foot back in the city."

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Lorn Ardnen

"Of course," Lorn replies, sliding his bulky hammer out of it's loop to lean it against the wall, still well within reach.

"If not the only thing, the surest thing. As Borok said, it's probably too late for more traditional means." Glancing at the male drow, Lorn adds, "I get the impression returning to the city might not be an option regardless."

Aid Another to Cleanse Poison 1d20+12 20

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The male drow looks hard at Borok, brow furrowed as he makes an effort to understand the dwarf in spite of Ilminidia's translation. Finally, when it seems he has divined the meaning behind his words, Cebith scoffs at the Stormspeaker, a wholly innate arrogance briefly breaking through his dejected mood. "She is drow. Demand of Lolth is stronger than demand of...Kardr, forever," he responds, sounding oddly proud and doleful both. "My spouse, she would say to you, no, I think, still. But I?" He shakes his head, looking down at the child. "I am responsible, and she must live. So I say: do it. If there is a price to pay," he says, looking amused by the notion, "then it will be paid." The drow frowns again. "There is much she must do, much."

He then looks at Ilminidia. "The city is not a place I would dare return to now – not while it is the way it is," the drow admits, "but I don't know where to go," he adds, and despite his many misgivings, it's clear that he's hoping she can help him, somehow – if only because there's truly nothing he can do about his predicaments himself.

Cebith then pauses, frowning. "Shali," he then says, thoughtful, "she was cut not long before we must...leave. When she was practising her sword with her teacher. It happens often; she is bold. We do not think of it. But now...you talk of poisoned weapons?" he repeats Borok's words, and the look on his face is that of a suspicion forming in his mind.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

If the rituals succeded then the little one would be alive and touched by Kord. All things considered, staying as far away from the city was a sage suggestion. Ilminidia nods to the father, seeing it a wise move. "Alauniira was part of the rebellion, she did not tell you of safeguarded boltholes outside of the city walls?" She puts to him. Though she may not have cared for the man particularly, the child deserved more than this. For her at least she would try to help them. But first the matter a hand, keeping them alive.

"The Matriarch was making moves to kill you both already." She surmises the look on Cebith's face. "How did you manage to escape unscathed while you wife and daughter did not?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
"I believe it gnawed at Alauniira that she made her...affiliation known to me at all," Cebith tells Ilminidia. "Considering what has happened, I think she was right not to trust even me further than that. But then, now that she is taken, what does it matter?" He exhales quietly as he watches Borok and Lorn prepare the ritual. "But no, I know nothing. Not what to do, not where to go, nothing except to try and keep the child safe, and maybe myself, for all the good it did me. I don't even know if Alauniira had any plans in case anything like this happened. If she did, I certainly was not told. But perhaps that is why you are here?"

Her second question earns her a slightly surprised look from the other drow. "You ask why the females are hunted while the male is beneath everyone's notice?" he asks, rhetorically by all appearances. "No, I don't know why I have been spared. I don't even know whether I should be glad of that or not. Should I?" Cebith falls silent for a while, picking up one of the mushrooms and turning it absently in his hands. "It may be that killing Shali was not a priority? She is but a child, and I – we had no idea she'd been poisoned. Yet, I will not pretend to understand such plots, be they the Matriarch's or another's. Staying alive so the little one will be safe is all I know to do at this point, and even that is going poorly."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"At least she trusted you with it. Many wouldn't." It painted a picture of a close and friendly family unit, which was not exactly the universal thing in Drow society. "The image of being all seeing is just as effective as the real thing. It wasn't as if you gave her allegiance up. It was the Matron Mother Ilmirinza who threw her to the Matriarch, after all." Though the minutia of what happened might not be terribly helpful with the result still being what it was. "Good. Keep to your instincts when knowledge fails you." She tells him. "Perhaps indeed. Though irrespective of Alauniira, the Matriarch wants you both dead and that is reason enough for many to want you to stay alive."

"I ask why the child was poisoned and the adult was left to spirit her away." She clarifies with a slightly stern tone. To be fair Cebith was also probably right to an extent. "A hard life is better than a swift death, for both you and the little one. But yes, I suppose with Alauniira captured her male and child were not thought of as dangerous or troublesome targets. If that is the case it will come back to bite them." She says with a quiet confidence in her voice. "Was going poorly. Now that I am here this will not continue."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Cebith regards Ilminidia with narrowed eyes, apparently trying to figure out if she is mocking him or anything of the like. When he has decided that she isn't, the drow shrugs indifferently, not particularly cheered up; it is only Ilminidia's sterner voice that finally provokes a response. "I don't know why everything happened the way it did! It hardly was a foregone conclusion that we would manage to escape from the city, besides – I caught sight of a squad of Xaniqos soldiers entering Alauniira's office while I was on the way there myself. If I'd gotten there only a little earlier..." He shudders. "Don't ask me how, but I knew then that Shali and I would be lost if we didn't leave Erelhei-Cinlu as soon as possible. I had no idea what to do beyond that, of course, but it didn't seem important at the time. I...it is fortunate you caught up with me when you did."

Having come as close to expressing gratitude for his rescue as he's probably going to get, the drow gives Ilminidia a look of cautious curiosity. "Who are you, anyway?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The severe expressions stays on the Drow's face. "They may have expected you to be there with her, and you being late by a few steps threw out their coordination somewhat." She supposes. "Whatever the cause I doubt they missed you by accident or overlooked you. You were still trusted and held dear by Alauniira, reason enough to take you down with her." It would just be plain sloppy otherwise. "Perhaps it was because you saw a squad of Xaniqos soldier coming to take your wife. But your survival, as pressed as it is, should be commended. Many would not have made it even as far as you did. Providing the fat Dwarf can heal the little one." The reserved gratitude would have been tearful hugging in surfacer parlance. "I know how your plight feels and I accepted the task, nothing more."

"Does it matter who I am? Would a stranger's name really settle your nerves any? I am here to see that you and Shali stay alive, doing so for those Alauniira supports. And I wish to see the Matriarch suffer as she falls from power and dies." It occurs to her for just a moment that she may be a little hard on the distressed man. His health didn't need it. "Ilminidia." She gives up somewhat reluctantly.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The drow simply nods in response to Ilminidia's words – though whether the nod is of the thoughtful or of the unconvinced sort, she cannot tell – before averting his gaze to watch the surfacers who are allegedly going to save his daughter from certain death.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Landra

Her grasp of the Drow dialect is only slightly better than her grasp of healing magic, so she contents herself with pacing outside the little cranny, keeping watch for the conference and the ritual, gleaning what little she can from tones of voice and the one word in ten she can understand. It would not do to have something else ambush them while they reclaimed their bearings and their breaths.

As Ilminidia's quarry turns away from her - and my, did he sound...skeptical for a recent rescue? Perhaps it's just the tension with the girl, but... - Landra's gaze slides across the drow, and she ceases her pacing for a moment, speaking matter-of-factly. Sniping can come later. Possibly.

"So...Ilminidia. Will we be walking into some dramatic upheaval, or just the usual run of cloak and dagger and fang?"

Insight (can she tell anything from their conversation?): 1d20+13 26

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Cebith seemed to turn his attention to the ritual as it went on. Hearing her name from outside the hide away, the Drow shifts her way over to the opening. "The best laid schemes of spider and Drow go often awry, and leave us nothing but grief and pain for promised joy." She tells the Elf.

Blüff: 1d20+18 26

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Calderos

He had no way of joining the conversation, and no real desire to do so. While no stranger to the healing arts himself, his experience was strictly with receiving them as opposed to giving them. Further, a warrior's job was not over simply because the battle was finished and the wounded were being tended to. Predators attracted by the scent of blood, a second wave by a rival tribe, or opportunistic exiles could be lurking nearby. His mission was now to stand guard and ensure the healers could work their craft unmolested. There being only enough room for so many in the cavern, Calderos stood outside to keep his watch. He tried to make himself as inconspicuous as possible, but he knew he could not hide from a trained Hunter. If trouble came to them, he would probably have to go out and meet it; allowing it to come to him could betray the presence of the cave, otherwise so well hidden. He had no intention of sacrificing himself, of course. He was above such grandiose, egotistic notions. But if blood was demanded of him then blood would be offered.

Though Landra was as restless as any of them, he did enjoy the company. Her pacing provided a steady backdrop, partially muffling the alien conversation occurring just behind him. A part of him was annoyed at the male's inability to speak intelligibly, but he had some sympathy. It was not so long ago that he could hardly speak a word of Common (though his accent was still strange, and his diction entirely too "correct" to pass as natural speech). He did not truly mind until they started speaking Common again and still made no sense. "So the drow city is normally dangerous, but the plans of our enemies may fail, yet..." His brow furrowed from the effort of deciphering the drow's speech. What nonsense! He could almost swear she was attempting to dodge the question!

Perception: 1d20+15 23 to keep an eye out for anything approaching.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Borok Stormspeaker

After a brief, muttered consult with the Erathian War-priest, Borok hunkers down next to the ailing Drow girl and ignores the rapid-fire evlish conversation going on around him.

From a pouch, he draws a smooth, glossy-black, flat stone. He holds it to his lips, hand cupped around it, and whispers something to it, for all the world as if telling it a secret.

He closes his eyes, and, with every appearance of cautious deliberation, places it on the girl's forehead.

The effect is immediate and dramatic, as her thrashing body goes rag-doll limp, and her eyes snap open and stare, unseeing, at the ceiling.

As if this is just the reaction he expected, the Dwarf puts a hand in the center of the child's belly and begins a low, rolling, guttural chant, breaking only from time to time to cue Lorn to do his part, anointing the girl with oils and sprinkling with blessed water.

For long minutes, there seems to be no effect whatsoever, but gradually, a smell like ozone begins to fill the air, and a wind begins to stir the still air of the cave. Borok's voice has changed from a mortal mumble to the faint, far-away crashing of thunder.

The black stone on the girl's belly begins to glow, fitfully, as if lit from within by strikes of lightning. These flashes grow faster and stronger as the thunder of Borok's voice grows louder and louder.

At last, the stone gives one last, great flash, and Borok's lips move, shaping one last clap of thunder, and the girl gives a heave onto her side, and begins to choke and vomit out a thick, black, tarry substance that stinks like the grave and sears the moss on the cavern floor like acid.

Borok immediately grabs the girl, pulling her up and away as the sickness runs its course, before wiping her mouth clear with a cloth he immediately balls up and tosses into a far corner.

Carefully setting her down in a safe spot, he wipes her brow, "She'll be weak, aye, weak as a new kitten, but she'll live, I think. Gods above and below, but poison is a foul thing."

ooc: Sorry. Been a rough few days

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Her piece said to the Elf and the Bull, the Drow retreats back inside once she hears the Dwarf begin to make a noise like he was gargling tar. She watches his work with interest, not having seen such a ritual performed before. It goes to the fact that Lolth was not at her fullest, letting the power of another God be summoned while in Her domain. The results cannot be argued with though, as a thick toxic goo is violently expelled from the child. "And this poison isn't one used lightly." She opines to the old man, looking at the black stuff as it bubbled on the floor.

Shali looked… not better, really, but far more alive than she was before. It appeared the Dwarf had managed to save her life. "Can you talk?" She asks the little one in a softer tone.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Landra does seem to detect a measure of suspicion on the part of the female drow in particular, though the male eventually manages to assuage her – or perhaps she desists of her own volition; it is hard to say. It doesn't really sound like they are in perfect accord with one another to her, but then again they are drow.

Shali, coughing violently, curls up against the wall of the small hollow as her father shoulders past Borok to support her. Eventually the fit passes and the young drow opens her eyes to look unsteadily around, and it is then that everyone notices something is different – her eyes have become clouded, an amorphous milkiness, its pattern never quite the same after each blink, dimming their natural crystal blue, like indifferent clouds staking their claim to a previously clear sky. It is as the Stormspeaker decreed: through the divine power Borok invoked to purge the poison from her, Kardr has marked the girl, for better or for worse. What precisely this may portend even the dwarf cannot say for certain, especially considering the absence of his god; only time will tell.

Cebith gasps when he looks his daughter in the eye, shooting Borok a fierce glare. Though she is yet too weak to speak, as evidenced by her giving Ilminidia a suspicious look and a cautious shake of the head, it quickly becomes obvious that despite appearances, Shali hasn't actually been blinded; whether she can see as well as before, though, remains anyone's guess for now. "This is the price she pays, dwarf? Webbed eyes?" Cebith addresses the Stormspeaker when his initial ire has subsided. "Your god is strange," he notes, not sounding very awed after all – it's possible the drow was expecting a more drastic change, or perhaps he still believes that the little one is bound to Lolth so powerfully than even the Lord of Thunder may not cleave those ties.

As he stands guard over the narrow entrance to where the drow girl's life is being saved, Calderos doesn't notice anything that immediately strikes him as out of the ordinary. There is, of course, the realisation that the Underdark is not as quiet a place as one might imagine it to be: while silence is predominant, all in all, it is not infrequently broken by noises the minotaur is more or less able to ascribe to reasonably natural phenomena – water dripping off some unseen stalactite and striking a watery surface, the sound of each drop multiplied manifold as it reverberates through the darkness; the distant calls of nameless beasts as they make their way through the tunnels of the Deeps, quite possibly using their vocalisations to "see" their surroundings in the manner of bats; and the dull rasp of something sliding and grating against stone. None of it is an immediate cause for suspicion, and in any case Calderos doesn't see anything that looks like it might deserve his attention.

Of course, given that he can only see about a hundred feet in any one direction, beyond which there is nothing but the impenetrable darkness that naturally permeates this subterranean place, this might not ultimately be saying a lot.

On a largely precautionary note, I'd like to go on record here to say that players making skill rolls versus other players really is something I want to avoid. Y'all are a level-headed bunch, so if there are any in-character differences to be hashed out (though hopefully not too many!), I'd prefer to see them handled through RP alone while leaving the can of worms that is inter-character die rolls firmly unopened. Is everyone fine with that?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Landra

"As strange as yours?," remarks Landra in reply. "All gods are strange, and their prices stranger still. But living is a better way to pay them than dying. Most of the time. Best not to dwell."

She watched for a moment, in no hurry to move on while the girl regained her faculties, and eventually directed a careful look at the gnomic Ilminidia. "I take it you are bringing them back to the city?"

Sooner or later she had to actually answer a question. Perhaps "Is the sky grey"?

OOC: I am fine with that! I had no plans to powergame here, just wanted a realistic sense of what she might be able to glean from the conversation given the language and cultural differences.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Eyes opening and the young one looking around at the group, she lived. Now with both Cebith and Shali pretty well alive, she had succeeded in the first part of her job. Now it was just a matter of seeing them stay safe, which was a whole different problem to be faced with. The girl didn't seem to be able to talk yet, but she could listen just fine.

The Drow gets down on a knee to look at Shali straight on. "You were poisoned." Ilminidia tells the little one rather bluntly, not mincing her words. "It seems that your duelling teacher had more on her mind than just instructing your swordplay. Your wound festered with a poison that few survive. And were it not for the Dwarf and his God Kord you would be dead." She nods over to the Dwarf, perhaps in a move to help the child get that they weren't here to kill her. "Your eyes have changed along with it. Is your sight weaker?" Anything that couldn't be answered by a nod or a shake of the head was out, so she had to limit her inquiries.

She casts a quick eye over at Cebith. "Strange. But he still saved your daughter's life. I wouldn't question what he chooses to mark her with. Lolth wouldn't have been so kind as to leave with just your little one's eyes changed." She tells Cebith, strangely agreeing with the Elf's sentiment. Speaking of… "Yes." She gives her a big, broad smile. "I just wanted to make sure they were alive and well before I hauled them back to Erelhei-Cinlue to get executed." She drops the smile in favour of a much more natural expression of mild scorn. "Idiot."

I just wanted to make fun with that saying! You meanie! Down with MMA! Raah raah raah!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Landra

"It is true, I am an utter innocent in the ways of politics and intrigue." Her voice cool, she turns slowly to find Ilminidia's scornful look with unflinching eyes. "I may be better at stabbing people fron the front, but someone sent you, clearly a skilled hunter, after them. You say to rescue them, I will - for once - take you at your word. So they have allies in Eredhei.

No city is of one mind, no city lacks places or people to hide with. And most cities, even Drow cities, are safer than an untamed underground wilderness where everything that moves and many things that don't are trying to kill you. That is, after all, the point. Unless you meant to bring them to the surface?" The arch of a single eyebrow accompanies the question, but there is little more to suggest she actually cares about the answer.

"So, yes, you could be bringing them back. Truly, though, it doesn't matter much to me. You have your mission, we have ours, and for now they seem to accord. Perhaps after we find what we seek in the city you will have to try to kill me. The risks we take for our callings."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow woman crosses her arms and leans against the rock wall as the uppity Elf pontificates about this than and the other. Good thing she waited until after the child was cured, because if it was before she surely would have died waiting for her to finish talking. And from Ilminidia's scornful look, once Landra had finished, a smile breaks out. "Heh." She chuckles to herself, pointing at Landra. "If only more Elves were like you. You're fun."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

"Ladies," Taldrel sighs with a little frustration, "I'm sure there are plenty of sparring rings in the city where you two could sort this out, but until then we have rather important business to attend to and we're not exactly in the safest neighborhood. Save it." He was speaking mostly to Landra, who he viewed as baiting the drow with barely veiled accusations and implications, but popular wisdom said never to trust a drow. He'd have to keep a close watch on both of them.

"Kvinner..." mutters in Dwarven to Borok, who had just emerged from the tiny room. "Now, if the girl will be fine, I'd prefer not to stand about chatting in the Underdark."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Ilminidia turns her smile onto Taldrel. "Keep your weapon at your side, half breed." She half-heartedly tries to assuages his frustration. "The Dwarf saw to the little one, and I'll see you all to Erelhei-Cinlue." She turns her looks back to the Elf. "Though I would advise that you stay clear of the duelling rings. Elves have a truly dreadful record in them." Her smile and possible good cheer, it being difficult to tell on Drow for surfacers, lessens somewhat as Taldrel continues talking. "The girl has just come closer to death than you ever have." She informs in a very certain manner. "She'll get the time she needs."