Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy poo poo a Tommy Wiseau hairstyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The effects of Shield Oath will not be lost upon incapacitation. :smug:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Sendo posted:

Thank god, FINALLY! No more forgotten oaths!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Oh man a nutkin companion, 2.3 is the best patch.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

quote:

The Guardian's Helm of Maiming Head Item Level: 100 / Equipment Level: 50
The Guardian's Helm of Striking Head Item Level: 100 / Equipment Level: 50

Guess I was wrong, I thought that the two identical looking sets were tank/DRG. It's DRG/MNK instead, and it seems like tanks got the masked yellow set.

Also, looks like the new dungeons drop ilvl 80 gear.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Jesus Christ, there's just so much in here that they didn't even mention during all the previews, it's hard to know where to even begin.

Fishious posted:

These changes were exactly what I was hoping for, just flat potency buffs without any change to mobility or the current BLM meta-game. SE makes good balancing decisions, mobility buffs would of just killed the only fun, skillful part of BLM play.

Honestly, I was hoping we'd get something a little more dramatic - stacking two Firestarters at once was suggested and I thought it was a perfect solution on multiple levels (as wasting FS procs or stopping a F1 to get FS-F3 both feel awkward). In terms of actual work done, the changes feel low-effort. And the manawall nerf is kind of laffo (I initially read that as "cooldown is now 20 seconds" which made me :stare: for a second). They don't really address some of the more fundamental issues BLM has and I don't think the small number changes are going to help as much as they think it will.

But anyway, putting that aside, reaction time:

- Holy poo poo, the main quest this time around is huge. The Ramuh story fight takes place like halfway through it! And then the action looks like it shifts over to Mor Dhona, Coerthas and elsewhere! I'm honestly kind of giddy for it.

- DYEABLE AF :neckbeard:

- Aww, tank auras persist through death. Now I can't accidentally troll people. :v:

- Oh my god the new hairstyles. Not only can Highlander men be Fabio now, but we're going to see so many people sporting those dreadlocks. I can just tell.

- Rowena now gets an entire building in Toll, lol

- The new Experts are i70 required, and look like they drop i80. That'll help a bunch of our newbies as they'll be faster to run than CT1. (Rip CT1, though, I guess.)

- I dig the hell out of the huge myth bonus for helping new people. Especially with all the newbies from the Summer Sale, that'll help get them through stuff.

- The new roadblock Primal is going to be Mog EX; Echo will help a lot with Levi, but Mog is all about execution and there's no way pubs will be able to pull that off. I think we're going to have to help a lot of Goons get through Mog.

- Rofl, they really are taking the single daggers away from GLDs so that they can be used by Rogues. Okay then.

- Oh my god a Nut Eater minion. Are you loving kidding me with this. Priority one will be getting one of those.

- The magitek mount now gets a cosmetic cannon shot. :v: This cannot possibly be used for trolling.

- Uh:

quote:

Wind-up Succubus
Minion
100% anatomically correct. Handle with care.

Use item to acquire the wind-up succubus minion.
Man, Ferne, goddammit. Seriously.

All in all this patch is going to be ludicrously huge and the patches continue to put efforts from other companies in games of this sort to shame. I almost wonder if they can keep this sort of pace up.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

SpaceDrake posted:

- Rofl, they really are taking the single daggers away from GLDs so that they can be used by Rogues. Okay then.

I wonder if this is going to mess me up, I have a level 5 dagger glamoured onto my tank at the moment... I might have to pull out my mog weapon again I guess

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Fozzie Bear posted:

I wonder if this is going to mess me up, I have a level 5 dagger glamoured onto my tank at the moment... I might have to pull out my mog weapon again I guess

They're not taking them away they're renaming them all to "shortsword" and "broadsword" and so on

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Fozzie Bear posted:

It will probably just convert to being a glamour of the new sword that replaces it I'd imagine. Judging by the way it handles glamours in item descriptions, I am guessing it just creates a link to another item and displays that visually while using the stats of the base weapon or armour. If that's the case, replacing all of the existing items and glamours would be fairly simple and easy.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Fozzie Bear posted:

The daggers are getting swapped out for other models so that the dagger models can be used by rogues/ninjas. They'll all become various sorts of "actual" swords.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Dyable AF?! Yes!

This patch is huge, wow.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Honestly, I was hoping we'd get something a little more dramatic - stacking two Firestarters at once was suggested and I thought it was a perfect solution on multiple levels (as wasting FS procs or stopping a F1 to get FS-F3 both feel awkward). In terms of actual work done, the changes feel low-effort. And the manawall nerf is kind of laffo (I initially read that as "cooldown is now 20 seconds" which made me :stare: for a second). They don't really address some of the more fundamental issues BLM has and I don't think the small number changes are going to help as much as they think it will.

Just from some testing and number crunching I have since done these are not small buffs, they have increased their single target DPS to a really competitive level. Which was the real problem, since second coil are single target fights and a flat DPS increase will make the downtime and bad rng average out higher as well. I don't see a fundamental issue in much else, optimizing movement is meant to be hard since nothing else about a BLM is, and how DPS completely stops during downtime was addressed above.

Good BLMs will dominate parses with these changes unless a good monk is there. The manawall thing is the only nerf, but tbh the only thing I see this really effecting is how to optimize Titan EM as a single manawall can't cover 2 landslides anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The sheer effort that goes into each patch, especially the big ones, is always amazing.

Surprised they're just moving the current Expert dungeons into Hard, but eh. Guess Hardflox will still be the place for myth runs while one of the new dungeons will be for soldiery. Also love the bonus myth for helping people pass for the first time, might make parties a bit more open to helping new people (but probably not). At the least, it'll encourage people to do high-level content with first-timers.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sendo posted:

Paging Eureka.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SpaceDrake posted:

- Oh my god the new hairstyles. Not only can Highlander men be Fabio now, but we're going to see so many people sporting those dreadlocks. I can just tell.

And I just completed the quest for him the other day and have a free coupon sitting in my pocket. :getin:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Also holy christ I'm dying 10% buff to black mage damage (hello 500 DPS in T8) while not really addressing the actual issues BLM have. It'll still help but now we're the new monks.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Glad to know exactly where to go for more Hildebrand: Agent of Enquiry (Inspector Extraordinaire!) when the patch drops.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The myth changes are interesting. All of the existing Hard/Expert dungeons have been "adjusted", even the ones with no additional myth, which I assume means that some of the myth has been moved to the final boss of Brayflox/etc. to prevent first-two-boss speedruns. Also, 30 base soldiery instead of 45 from a given Brayflox/Halatali/Lost City is kind of annoying, but I assume the new Expert dungeons will still be 45. Or, if not, soldiery is a little slower now. Maybe to push people toward Frontlines?

Echo buff is going to make Levi EX so easy. A shame I'm sick of running it, though it'll be nice for helping people out. As someone said below, Thornmarch EX is definitely gonna be the new roadblock.

I'm excited for "The Greatest Story Never Told", the new quest that is a straight-up riddle with no help from the quest log. Old-school RPG "what the gently caress do I do now?" quests are the tits (in moderation).

Mini-games in the inn room!

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

most disappointing thing here is that ramuh only drops i100 stuff. should be i110 just like the ex primals in 2.1 dropped i90. :mad:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think thornmarch is going to be as big of a deal with the echo. You're able to burn down each moogle faster with the higher DPS and it'll make cancelling out pom holy or flare that much faster as well. It will also make it easier for dumb DPS to kill a moogle too soon, though.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

KaneTW posted:

Also holy christ I'm dying 10% buff to black mage damage (hello 500 DPS in T8) while not really addressing the actual issues BLM have. It'll still help but now we're the new monks.

Haha you're not going to do 500dps with a 10% buff (though it's actually slightly higher).

I see around 440-450 being the new norm, which puts them below Monks and above Summoner on single target damage. SE continues their habit of overbuffing which I honestly anticipated.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
Did anyone else notice the i95 mog weapons in the list of new items added?

Holy poo poo.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Wow, I cannot say I'm happy with those black mage adjustments. A 20 potency improvement to the core spell rotation will boost damage, obviously, but I can't see that it's going to cover the gulf BLM has between it and other DPS right now.

The biggest problem is that while sitting still and shooting off fireballs like a stationary turret is going to bring in impressive numbers I can count on one hand the number of high-end fights in the game where you actually get to do that for significant lengths of time. BLM's problem has two parts to it: first is that it's designed so that movement is seen as a penalty and then forced to fight in a variety of encounters where there is a lot of forced movement. Second is that while the other DPS classes also see damage drops due to movement-related issues, it's not nearly as significant for most of them, pushing BLM back further than they.

I know a good four or five career Black Mages who basically just switched over to Summoner to run Second Coil and saw their DPS skyrocket in exchange. Maybe that's more than just BLM being underpowered, god knows SMN is widely considered to be on the higher end of DPS classes. Oh look, they got buffs too! Tiny ones, granted, but still. I doubt the people I know will be switching back over this. I'll do some testing for a couple weeks after release but I'll probably be levelling SMN as well now. :(

Also that nerf to Manawall is a bit of a kick in the pants on top of this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

quote:

The Second Coil of Bahamut (Savage) has been added.

:what:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
BLM griping aside I will always love them sneaking obscure references into the localization of Fish descriptions:

Patch Notes posted:

Vip Viper Seafood A king among black eels, and lord of the waters of the upper Hathoeva River. Some claim that jerking up, up, down, down, left, right, left, and right on one's pole increases chances of landing this slippery specimen.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

quote:

When joining Duty Roulette as a party, abandoning the duty within the first 10 minutes will incur a penalty.
* Only the first player to leave the instance will receive a penalty.

Parties containing one or more members who have been penalized for abandoning a duty will be unable to register for duties via the Duty Finder.

Welp, so much for brayflox myth farms, or any other sub 10 minute farms.

Edit: Whoops, misread that and though that applied to all dungeons rather than just the roulette.

Kalion fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 4, 2014

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Why are you using duty roulette for speedruns of any type other than for soldiery?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jwang posted:

Why are you using duty roulette for speedruns of any type other than for soldiery?

Atma books

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Fishious posted:

Haha you're not going to do 500dps with a 10% buff (though it's actually slightly higher).

I see around 440-450 being the new norm, which puts them below Monks and above Summoner on single target damage. SE continues their habit of overbuffing which I honestly anticipated.

I did 415 with 1 Foe Req battlevoiced towards the end this week. 500 is entirely possible with some luck and 2 Foe's BV'd during RS, and I've seen BLM do even higher damage on T8.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love how they had to rename all the dangers and gladii to ensure there's no confusion with ROG/NIN weapons.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Generally you don't quit a a dungeon you need to finish for your book, which is the point of contention here

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Wow, I cannot say I'm happy with those black mage adjustments. A 20 potency improvement to the core spell rotation will boost damage, obviously, but I can't see that it's going to cover the gulf BLM has between it and other DPS right now.

The biggest problem is that while sitting still and shooting off fireballs like a stationary turret is going to bring in impressive numbers I can count on one hand the number of high-end fights in the game where you actually get to do that for significant lengths of time. BLM's problem has two parts to it: first is that it's designed so that movement is seen as a penalty and then forced to fight in a variety of encounters where there is a lot of forced movement. Second is that while the other DPS classes also see damage drops due to movement-related issues, it's not nearly as significant for most of them, pushing BLM back further than they.

I know a good four or five career Black Mages who basically just switched over to Summoner to run Second Coil and saw their DPS skyrocket in exchange. Maybe that's more than just BLM being underpowered, god knows SMN is widely considered to be on the higher end of DPS classes. Oh look, they got buffs too! Tiny ones, granted, but still. I doubt the people I know will be switching back over this. I'll do some testing for a couple weeks after release but I'll probably be levelling SMN as well now. :(

Also that nerf to Manawall is a bit of a kick in the pants on top of this.

Nerf to Manawall sucks but it's expected. Manawall was loving overpowered with the 1m duration. And I usually parse higher than our SMN, though he doesn't have his 115 yet (similar ilvl otherwise, though)

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

quote:

A fourth treasure chest may occasionally appear upon defeating the last boss of Syrcus Tower. The above restrictions do not apply to this treasure chest.
Ugh, looks like the Allagan Tomestone/Sands/Oil is open to all 24 players.
On the other hand it also sounds like it won't count towards your 1 item a week so you now have an excuse to do CT2 all week long.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bland posted:

Generally you don't quit a a dungeon you need to finish for your book, which is the point of contention here

I was referring to the 1500 myth per book.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Make a proper myth farming party then. Stop being an idiot and taking a 30 minute lockout when it only takes 5 more minutes to finish a dungeon.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I think the most important thing is that it confirmed that Ramuh will drop yet another horse and it's purple and I want it.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

KaneTW posted:

I did 415 with 1 Foe Req battlevoiced towards the end this week. 500 is entirely possible with some luck and 2 Foe's BV'd during RS, and I've seen BLM do even higher damage on T8.

The consistent factor is how many foes with BV is being fed. I don't know any groups in my FC or server that are feeding their casters so generously, mostly because that second BV is usually (and I feel better) spent on the monk/drg so they can keep higher DPS. In any case I really disagree, you could surpass monk DPS if you're getting the songs but you're not going to get 75-80 DPS from what I've estimated from this potency buff.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Are all classes endgame viable at the moment or is there a trap class which I should be avoiding leveling?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Captain No-mates posted:

Are all classes endgame viable at the moment or is there a trap class which I should be avoiding leveling?

Everything is viable, the only trap is that BRD has the weakest DPS and is typically more of a gimmick management class in coil endgame. But they're completely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Captain No-mates posted:

Eight-Six posted:

Everything is viable, the only trap is that BRD has the weakest DPS and is typically more of a gimmick management class in coil endgame. But they're completely fine.

And note by this, Eight-Six means that Bards are still hugely desirable in endgame raiding because they provide ridiculously great buffs and kiting. For bleeding-edge stuff a Bard is almost a requirement.

Every single class is viable. The only one that properly suffers (as we've been discussing) is Black Mage because moving hurts their DPS a lot and many of the current endgame fights mandate tons of movement. But even a BLM can still put out Good Enough Numbers to get through anything up to and including the game's current hardest boss.

• Locked thread