Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Minjun Young "Rigged Deck"

Deck uses his sleek, flashy, a bit show-off-y cyberarm with no unique finger prints and, after a moment of thought, hit's the...12th floor button.

And then tells the elevator in the Matrix to go up one more without telling anyone. Shhhhhh, elevator. Shhhhhh. This will be our little secret.

Hack on the Fly: Mark ELEVATUS: 18d6t5 7
Limited to 6

He also takes a moment to flick one of his programs to Baby Monitor and back, checking his OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rigged Deck

You entered the host legally, and your illegal action was done from inside where GOD isn't watching, so your Overwatch is still 0.

Note that this is an AR interface button. The walls are sleek and button-less. Same difference, though.

The elevator briskly and quietly transports you to the 13th floor while reporting over the Matrix a trip to the 12th.

The doors slide open and you are facing a darkened hallway. The faint buzzing of a nearby drone can be heard.

Perception checks, all. Audio and visual.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 28, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

[ Ladies first! :V ]

Her eyes flit between thermographic and low-light settings as she pokes her head out of the elevator.

Visual Perception: 14d6t5 4
Audio Perception: 11d6t5 3

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Capstick
Edge 4/5

For Reference:

If there was a way to take the stairs up the Nile's would do that, stopping at the 13th floor and waiting for everyone else to arrive via the elevator. When he gets word that everyone has arrived he first listens at the door, then, if he hears nothing, opens it a slit and looks out:

Audio Check: 9d6t5 1
If he hears anything then I want to use Select Sound Filter to try and get more info. At least I didn't glitch

Visual Check: 8d6t5 3
Cycling through low-light and thermo vision.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Melody

Melody smirks at Mad Dog's antics while her own eyes switch over to low light, seeing if there is anything to be seen.

Visual Perception 9d6t5 1
Audio Perception 9d6t5 4

AmyL fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 28, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Deck's contacts, just like everyone else's, flicker between low-light and thermal, directional jammer out and ready to go.

[ Ok, this was unexpected ]

Percetion Visual (low-light, thermal), Audio: 2#9d6t5 4 2

The Bible
May 8, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Capstick
Edge 4/5

For Reference:

If there was a way to take the stairs up the Nile's would do that, stopping at the 13th floor and waiting for everyone else to arrive via the elevator. When he gets word that everyone has arrived he first listens at the door, then, if he hears nothing, opens it a slit and looks out:

Audio Check: 9d6t5 1
If he hears anything then I want to use Select Sound Filter to try and get more info. At least I didn't glitch

Visual Check: 8d6t5 3
Cycling through low-light and thermo vision.

He can, but there are a number of locked doors on the way. He could try to pick the locks, or have Rigged Deck unlock them. There are only two. One on the door to the stairwell, and one on the door to the 13th floor, which appears to be maglocked.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Melody

You don't see anything unusual, but you definitely hear some humming in the hallways, as well as a droning noise coming from somewhere above. You faintly hear what sound somewhat like muffled footsteps coming from the offices.

Mad Dog

Visual Perception: 14d6t5 4
Audio Perception: 11d6t5 3

2 doberman drones are patrolling the floor in opposite directions. One in each hallway. Their pattern doesn't take them within eyeshot of the elevator, but anyone moving down either hall will run into one. Three eyeball drones that you can see are drifting about in seemingly random patterns.

I'll whip up a floor map tonight when I get out of work.

Everyone

The security lobby seems to be locked down for the night. A camera overhead is watching the elevator, but Rigged's efforts should be neutralizing that problem. The guard desk is currently unmanned, but there is a steaming mug of something sitting on the desk. Through the windows you can see into the office. The main lights are off, leaving only dim nightlights to navigate by. Nothing so dark that you couldn't easily navigate it, however. The security door is thick metal of some sort, sealed by what looks like a heavy duty electronic lock and an old fashioned but heavy duty key lock.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 29, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

He can, but there are a number of locked doors on the way. He could try to pick the locks, or have Rigged Deck unlock them. There are only two. One on the door to the stairwell, and one on the door to the 13th floor, which appears to be maglocked.

Rigged, can you do this on top of your other matrix stuff? I have a Maglock pass key but if you are already in...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

SIGH :p

Hack on the Fly: Mark door: 2#18d6t5 7 8
Second one is Limited to 7

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rigged Deck

Yeah, no problem. 2 Marks gained.

Explain the firewall rules again. You're in the host, so it doesn't get to use its firewall, right? But what about devices slaved to that firewall? This just seems a little unbalanced. You almost literally can't fail.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The devices don't use the Host's firewall if I'm already in the Host; they have to use their own. Each device has a firewall (if not specified, it's the device rating. As this is corporate security, the device rating is probably 3, so in this case the doors would be rolling 3 + Spider's Intuition).

The real threat of Hosts is getting data, really. Messing with doors and cameras are seen as the sort of side note; their main thing is getting data, both pay data or otherwise.

For example, when Deck goes into erase out fake SIN records before we bail, he'll have to first find the file (Matrix Search), crack it (Crack File, which alerts the Host that something is attacking it), then delete it (Edit File), all vs the Host's stats. This is going to probably be kinda hard!

This is why it's so crucial for Deckers to get that direct connection with a Host-linked device. It's also a bit of a risk thing - if you hit a place at night, it's easier to get that direct connection, but Patrol IC are more likely to find you suspicious even if you have the correct mark (as, at night, Patrol IC and their dogbrains might be told nobody at all is allowed, mark or no mark).

This also assumes the doors are connected to the Host in the first place; some places might have doors simply stand on their own, and you'd have to use Lockpicking to get past them.

Lastly, Hosts have their own version of Overwatch, so absolutely all my Hacking on the Fly should be building up OS, starting with that first one against the drone. The main sorta purpose of this is to prevent the hacker from just vomiting marks on everything the day before and going about their way with no risk. The more illegal poo poo you do, no matter where you are, the more dangerous it ets, the sooner you have to completely jack out - which erases all your marks.

If it helps, the reason I'm rolling so hot is because gaining marks is easy to buff up; Codeslinger and one of my programs both increases it by +4. To view it another way, Rigged Deck is built to be super good at handling security devices. When it comes time to extract or manipulate data, I'll be rolling far fewer dice. Think of the camera; I had to Edge that roll! So to erase the Sins, I'll have to roll 14 then 13, and that's assuming there's no data bomb.

Page 356 goes into it a bit, if that helps.

So yeah. Hosts defend from the outside, and getting IN the host is meant to be something you do in the run to find a physical connection to a device. Once inside you still build up OS, so every illegal action brings you close to having to jack out and then find another physical connection. Cameras aren't too hard to handle, but retrieving data is more difficult.

Mind you, one of the problems is that the Matrix rules by and large were written in a conflict, so some of it is rather murky. I imagine things will make at least a little more sense when the MATRIX poo poo splat comes out. Or rather, I HOPE things will make at least a little more sense. It's totally possible that some of this is not meant to work this way, but the changes never got written in, after all.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Clean
Edge: 3/5

After letting Melody and Amalia scope out the scene, Mr. Clean gently sets down his duffel and draws the Ares assault rifle from it, loading a Flashbang pack into its integral grenade launcher, the rifle itself being preloaded with APDS. He checks out the surroundings and listens for any movement around them before going to recon up ahead. He'll likely hear the drones and sit tight for the moment, waiting for Rigged Deck to take care of them once he's got a fix on their signal.
Perception Visual 12d6t5: 3
Perception: Audio 10d6t5: 6
Perception: Visual (Thermographic) 9d6t5: 1

pre:
Initiative: 14+2d6 Armor: 8 (Actioneer Business Suit) Nonconductivity: 4 Fire Protection: 4
Note: Asterik denotes currently loaded ammo type
Ranged Weapons:
Weapon   Acc	   DP Damage/Radius  AP	 Modes	 RC  Ammo       Range S/M/L/E (+0/-1/-3/-6)
Ares Lt. Fire 75 6(8) 10/12   6P     —     SA   (1)  16/16 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50
APDS*                         6P    -4     SA   (1)  16/16 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50

Ingram Smartgun 4(6) 15/17 7P     —  BF / FA  (3)  32/32 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50
APDS*                      7P    -4  BF / FA  (3)  32/32 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50

Ares Alpha 5(7) 16/18     11P    —2  SA / BF / FA (4)  42/42 (c)   0–25/26–150/151–350/351–550
APDS*          -   -      11P    -6  SA / BF / FA (4)  42/42 (c)   0–25/26–150/151–350/351–550
Ares Alpha GL 5(7) 13/15    *     *      SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL Frag 18P(f)(-1/m) +5       SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL HE       16P(-2/m) -2      SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL Flash*    10S(10m)  -4     SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL Smoke    N/A(10m)  N/A     SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL T-Smoke  N/A(10m)  N/A     SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500

Physical Damage: 10	Stun Damage: 10	     Overflow: 3

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 29, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

I imagine things will make at least a little more sense when the MATRIX poo poo splat comes out. Or rather, I HOPE things will make at least a little more sense. It's totally possible that some of this is not meant to work this way, but the changes never got written in, after all.[/i]

You know they won't.

Ok, that makes sense to me. Thanks again. I'll let you keep those last two rolls, even though I didn't factor in firewall.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The Bible posted:

You know they won't.

I think they might, if just on accident. The big question I've seen on other forums really is "How do devices work with Hosts?" They've stated that Hosts are one of the things that will be covered in more detail in the inevitable splat, so even just in an offhand example, they might answer that question.

The thing is from p. 233: "If you are in a host that has a WAN, you are considered directly connected to all devices in the WAN." This is what allows me to bypass all Host defenses for it's devices. One or two people have floated out that this might be a carry over from earlier versions or a flat out mistake since, as you mentioned, it does make hacking security devices substantially easier - especially since Coyotes mentions some Hosts just plain giving users a mark when they enter, which would be an absolutely hilarious security risk. If they DO change things, I'd wager they'd remove that part, or alter it so it only applies to Spiders; then Deckers would have to use their datajack to make an actual physical connection to each device to bypass Host defenses.

But! As it is currently written, it's pretty upfront. If you're in the Host, you have a direct connection, and thus bypass all Host security.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It does make some sense. IRL, of I want to hack a computer, the best plan is to sit right in front of it. It wouldn't matter how tough the firewall is if I entered through a way that doesn't interface with it. Matrix security is ridiculous because of what you said. The same mark given to you to look at lolcats and play matrix pong is also usable to crack top secret files. It's like no one in Shadowrun ever invented bridges or routers, so everything is broadcasting on the same network. There is no compartmentalization at all. It would be like cracking an NSA guy's iPad and getting access to every secure server in the organization.

I'd like to see someone run a strictly RAW game. No house rules, no GM judgement calls, just if it is in the book, you can do it. Hypersonic cars, nuclear flashbangs, edgecasting through the roof, just see how hosed up things would get.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 29, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

Mad Dog slowly draws back inside the elevator and dons her ballistic dog mask. A mental command releases the safety on her shotgun arm.

[ Deck! Deck! Two dobermans, one on each side. Three eyeball drones wandering around. Lemme mark them on the map. ]
[ Boop. Done. ]
[ Also, hot drink. Someone nearby, maybe using the restroom. I will investigate! ]

Scent Perception: 15d6t5 4
making sure they're not nearby or maybe I can trace the smell to where they are

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Rigged Deck takes out a simple bandanna and wraps it around the lower half of his face, then lets his cyberholster snap his gun right until his hand.

[ Capstick - we got two known hostiles, two unknown potential hostiles, and three eyes in the sky. First two and last three are drones, middle two are human personnel. I'm told this is your forte. I can't edit cameras and mess with drones at the same time, so it's also time to decide - if anyone knows how to blind them without alerting the Spiders, let me know. Otherwise, I have a feeling we just might lose the element of stealth real soon. Clean; any thoughts on what side of the building we should be making our escape from? Are we still planning on taking a rope through a window? ]

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 29, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Just a reminder that you've still got that security door to deal with, and you're hearing whatever happens to be moving beyond it. If Capstick gets past that maglock, he would bypass the door, however.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Atlatl posted:

Mad Dog

Mad Dog slowly draws back inside the elevator and dons her ballistic dog mask. A mental command releases the safety on her shotgun arm.

[ Deck! Deck! Two dobermans, one on each side. Three eyeball drones wandering around. Lemme mark them on the map. ]
[ Boop. Done. ]
[ Also, hot drink. Someone nearby, maybe using the restroom. I will investigate! ]

Scent Perception: 15d6t5 4
making sure they're not nearby or maybe I can trace the smell to where they are

It's definitely coffee they are drinking, Irished up quite a bit. You can't get much of a whiff of whatever lies beyond that door.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

[ Booze in it. Gross. :X ]
[ Can't trace them past the door. ]
[ Maybe I can assassinate some drones? I got electro stuff loaded up. ]
[ There aren't any pressure plates or anything, right? ]

Before anyone can respond, she crouch-walks on all fours up to the desk and squats low behind it.

Sneaky Sneak: 10d6t5 3

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Capstick
Edge 4/5

[Rigged, if you can deal with the drones then I can take out the guards and let the rest of you in.]

Do I need to try to get past the staircase maglock or has Rigged done that? If so, what do roll to use my passkey? Page 363 talks about Locksmith+Agility but it, of course, doesn't mention how a passkey adds to the roll.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melody
Edge 4/5

[What? Are you out of your mind? Several shots of booze added to coffee is a time-honored tradition to pass the time among the harsh elements. Hmmmph]
Melody crouches down on all fours, and follows the Mad Dog to hide behind the desk. A bit disgruntled over having one of her treats be called disgusting, she pulls out her tazer and waits.

Sneaking 6d6t5 3
Using Second Edge to reroll the rest
The rest of the dice 3d6t5 1 For a grand total of 4!

AmyL fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 30, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

[ I don't drink, ok? It tastes gross. Geez. ]

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melody
Edge 4/5

[Fine. Why not post some cute emotes of cats and dogs while you are at it?]

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

[ t(・ェ・t) ]

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melody
[ლ(=ↀωↀ=)ლ]

AmyL fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 30, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

[ Oh, it's on now. ]
[ t( ・ェ・)︻デ═一 ]

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melody
[ Ծ_Ծ ]
[^-ω-^ ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╤── ]
[ ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐□-□ (⌐□_□) ]

Melody grins wryly over how easy it was to find amusement while passing the time on a run.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

[ ( ・ェ・)︻デ═一 ---o pew pew ]
[ When is this fucker going to come back? His drink's getting cold. ]

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melody
Edge 4/6
[^-ω-^ ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╤── =o =o =o thump thump thump]

Melody pauses from her text warfare against Mad Dog by concentrating to see if she can hear the sound of footsteps going or coming towards them

ooc: Before I start rolling, would I get any dice pool modifiers added in since I'm specifically listening for something? I ask because of pg 135, bottom right-hand corner

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

[ (;¬д¬) ]

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 31, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sorry, New Year's comes 14 hours early here and the celebrations started much sooner. I'm posting this from a party like a loving goon.

Don't worry about it Melody. The footsteps are followed by the sound of a door slamming over by where the bathrooms are.

Mad Dog, you see that the desk has three drawers in it. There is also a blank metallic card sitting on the desk.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mad Dog?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

Mad Dog peeks over the desk and swipes the card. With no guard in view, she throws open all three of the drawers.

[ Let me see if he left everything out. ]

ooooops sorry, didn't see the last update

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Atlatl posted:

Mad Dog

Mad Dog peeks over the desk and swipes the card. With no guard in view, she throws open all three of the drawers.

[ Let me see if he left everything out. ]

ooooops sorry, didn't see the last update

The drawers are all locked.

The card is rectangular. It is a dull metal color and composed of some sort of plasteel.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

She attempts to go open the door using the card.

[ Someone try picking those drawers open or something? Maybe there's something useful in them. ]

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melody
Edge 3/5

[Yes, yes] Meg inhales in annoyance while pulling out her mechanical lock-picking set. No pressure you know. At least you actually managed to get into the building unlike the last run.

Clenching her left hand into a fist for reassurance than anything else, she summons her inner reserves to stay loose and relaxed. Then with her hands in a blur...

Attribute Boost 8d6t5: 3
Ok so my Agi is bumped up to 4 for 6 Combat Turns
Perception regarding the locks on the desk just in case. 9d6t5: 3
Lockpicking 9d6t5: 2
Spending Edge, down to 3, for Lockpicking and 7d6t5: 2 for a grand total of 4.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Without much effort, the lock on the drawers pops open, releasing all three.

On the inside, a few datapads, a couple of trid devices, obviously meant for entertainment, various protocol manuals, and three unmarked datachips.

Mad Dog approaches the door with the security card. A red light above the door turns on as a robotic voice cracks through a speaker.

"Please authenticate voice print."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mad Dog

Mad Dog's mask conceals her hard frown. After a few seconds she marches back over to the desk, places the card in its original position, and returns to her hiding place. [ This is bad. Any ideas besides wait for this guy to come back for his coffee? ]

• Locked thread