Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Alfajor posted:

My personal opinion is that as a virgin, you should be in a tent. Playa everywhere, all the time. Hot as gently caress. And then you still want to come back? Ok, cool.

gently caress tents, hammocks all day every day. Cooler during the day, warmer at night because the ground isn't leeching out your precious body heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress tents, hammocks all day every day. Cooler during the day, warmer at night because the ground isn't leeching out your precious body heat.

After the van with all our camp infrastructure was ganked in Oakland last year some neighbors donated a hammock pavilion.

I did a lot of napping last year.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Alfajor posted:

My personal opinion is that as a virgin, you should be in a tent. Playa everywhere, all the time. Hot as gently caress. And then you still want to come back? Ok, cool.

Exactly this.

Other events(frostburn) had electrical hookups for heat/AC but you should enjoy the playa as is. Also the one steam lodge in I think comfort village(2011) after I went in there, the playa was like nothing. No humidity just warm and lovely.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

White Chocolate posted:

Other events(frostburn) had electrical hookups for heat/AC but you should enjoy the playa as is. Also the one steam lodge in I think comfort village(2011) after I went in there, the playa was like nothing. No humidity just warm and lovely.

I think that was there last time I went in 2009(ish) and that thing was amazing. I'd sit in there with a jug of water and sweat off all the dust and gunk then head out into the 100 degree heat feeling like it was a refreshing spring day. Then meander down to the free margarita camp half a block down, and chill in the shade.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
What are reasonable camp dues? I found a theme camp that is open to new members, seem cool, like a camp that actually contributes, is a community and not just a plug and play outlet... but they want $250. (Meals, generators, showers, booze, sound system, storage space, porta-poties...) By Thursday I'd almost pay that for just a shower, but its a tough sell to my camp mates and I can't tell if it'd be worth it or not.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Getting really stoked. Plans are coming together - turns out our little camp of 12 people have our own little area in a larger camp at 5:00 and A, I think. Going to be insaaaaane.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Smeed posted:

What are reasonable camp dues? I found a theme camp that is open to new members, seem cool, like a camp that actually contributes, is a community and not just a plug and play outlet... but they want $250. (Meals, generators, showers, booze, sound system, storage space, porta-poties...) By Thursday I'd almost pay that for just a shower, but its a tough sell to my camp mates and I can't tell if it'd be worth it or not.

Depends what are they offering..? The camp I went with in 2011 had food, showers and yoga and a kick rear end shade structure..

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Smeed posted:

Depends on the exact details of what they're offering and if the people seem cool, but $250 isn't outrageous at all. If you're getting meals and booze, that sounds like a good deal. Remember, you're not just paying for the amenities of the camp, you're also contributing to buy all the poo poo they need to build whatever art/sound camp/thing they provide for the playa.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Since I can't get to TTITD this year, just picked up my ticket to our local burn. It's close to home this year, so should be a good time.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, a group of friends with whom I was originally planning on camping with, got into a different camp than expected (which is all good and well, they're super excited) but now I'm a virgin camper left to find a new camp on my own somewhat last minute here. Does anyone belong to, or know of a camp in the SoCal area that's looking for a new burner? I'm trying to use a variety of resources and I've been checking on the eplaya and BM subreddit so I'm sure I'll come across something but I just wanted to check here as well if anyone had suggestions. I have no problem paying camp dues and will contribute in any way possible. I have skills as an audio engineer (I know there's a lot of music camps) but can build and do other things too, anything to participate! Thanks!

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Smeed posted:

What are reasonable camp dues? I found a theme camp that is open to new members, seem cool, like a camp that actually contributes, is a community and not just a plug and play outlet... but they want $250. (Meals, generators, showers, booze, sound system, storage space, porta-poties...)
For $250 you really need to ensure that the camp in question is well-organized enough to get your value for money. I've had experiences with a couple of camps charging that amount for amenities (and things like $750 per RV), and then poorly delivering the value. Camps are run by volunteers who have to sign up for work shifts to make those meals, showers, & RV servicing happen, and many people end up flaking out on their shifts because they're too hungover or they just don'wanna. Specifically, I've been burnt by:
- The meals being either poorly prepared or there's insufficient food for the whole camp
- Meals starting late due to bad organization (Yay dinner at 11pm)
- Waiting days for power for our RV because they didn't have the right electrical hookup equipment and had to wait for it to arrive from Gerlach
- The generators not being able to handle the load and flipping their breakers, thus denying everyone in the camp AC
Given that our group had collectively handed over thousands of dollars to the camp to have good RV amenities, we expected a decent level of service. There's basically no recourse if they screw it up.

OTOH I've camped with Opulent Temple many times and they charged ~$100 for a solid reliable generator hookup, a shower, and nothing more.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

schweg posted:

Hi folks, virgin with ticket here. Anybody ever see a hexayurt with A/C on playa (or other non-RV structure)?

I'm camping with a bunch of virgins and a couple second-years and they're all whining about how we need A/C and generators for the yurts we're building. The idea of going out and air conditioning the desert sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong? Seems like a ton of things to go wrong especially since we wouldn't be able to try it out ahead of time due to travel logistics.

I think I'm going to try to push for evap coolers. I've seen plenty of glowing recommendations (including the ones above). Anybody ever been disappointed by a FIGJAM-style evap cooler while trying to sleep in after a late night?

I've never had a hexayurt, but have camped with lots of people who have. Only one of them had an evaporative swamp cooler, and it worked really well. Everyone else's hexayurt was pretty drat tolerable, even during the middle of the day. There's lots of online designs for evaporative coolers, but you have to have an electrical fan which really drives up the complexity of the thing (12V battery plus solar panel works pretty well).

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Darryl Lict posted:

I've never had a hexayurt, but have camped with lots of people who have. Only one of them had an evaporative swamp cooler, and it worked really well. Everyone else's hexayurt was pretty drat tolerable, even during the middle of the day. There's lots of online designs for evaporative coolers, but you have to have an electrical fan which really drives up the complexity of the thing (12V battery plus solar panel works pretty well).

Electrical fan and water pump, if you're going by Figjam's model. But if you have a 115ah deep-cycle battery you won't need a solar panel - there's enough juice in the battery to run the evap cooler all week, at 5 hours a day.

I'm slowly putting mine together, but finding parts for an evap cooler is difficult up here in Canada (I wonder why). I'm going to buy the cooler pad on my way down then cut and stitch it on the playa. The 12v, low amp water pump was hard to find too, I had to order it on Amazon and I'm pretty sure it's coming from Hong Kong. Has an ETA of anywhere between July 25th to August 18th.

Pooter
Jan 4, 2007
Hello goons, VoodooDoll and I will be back this year! Bringing my first RV, generator, and solar panel(s) so it will a learning experience I'm sure. Hope to see you all there! :D

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Really wanted to get in on this this year, alas it's not possible.

Going to start planning for next year though.

The one thing that concernes me is that if I want to hire an RV then I need to do it now it would seem, yet I have no idea if I will be able to get a ticket or vehicle pass, what's the aftermarket for tickets usually like?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bad-yeti posted:

Really wanted to get in on this this year, alas it's not possible.

Going to start planning for next year though.

The one thing that concernes me is that if I want to hire an RV then I need to do it now it would seem, yet I have no idea if I will be able to get a ticket or vehicle pass, what's the aftermarket for tickets usually like?

Reliably flourishing, especially right before the event. People constantly find out last minute that they can't go.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
So deffinately worth the risk of booking Flights, RV etc.

Then do so I shall :)

I take it there is nothing stopping me from setting up a Pimms stand outside my plot is there? I guess i'd have to card, or is it not really necessary.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

bad-yeti posted:

So deffinately worth the risk of booking Flights, RV etc.

Then do so I shall :)

I take it there is nothing stopping me from setting up a Pimms stand outside my plot is there? I guess i'd have to card, or is it not really necessary.

If you need help with the Pimms Stand let me know, it can be hard to find in the states. My wife and I had an English friend introduce us to Pimms on a hot summer day a few years ago. We have probably made 100 gallons of it since, comes with us on every summer outing!

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Thank you, I may take you up on your offer :)

My idea was to build like a little wooden shoppe front and then have cold boxes full of frozen fruit which would also act as Ice :)

I would ship a few dozen bottles in from the UK.

Next question is, go as part of an organised camp or not?

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

bad-yeti posted:

Thank you, I may take you up on your offer :)

My idea was to build like a little wooden shoppe front and then have cold boxes full of frozen fruit which would also act as Ice :)

I would ship a few dozen bottles in from the UK.

Next question is, go as part of an organised camp or not?

Not sure on the organized camp thing, this is my first year. Wife and I are planning to go on our own, maybe pick up some folks who need a ride.

As for shipping the Pimms, I wouldn't bother trying. The US has very stringent laws on shipping alcohol, with that size of a shipment and no license it will likely get confiscated. I tried to ship a couple cases of craft beer to a business associate in Berlin a few months ago and it didn't end well. They "destroyed" the alcohol and sent me a nasty letter.

You can order Pimms in large quantities from liquor stores in the states, it just requires a little bit of planning. If you call up a decent sized liquor store that is somewhere along your route, ask to speak with management and they should be able to set you up.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

bj2001holt posted:

Not sure on the organized camp thing, this is my first year. Wife and I are planning to go on our own, maybe pick up some folks who need a ride.

As for shipping the Pimms, I wouldn't bother trying. The US has very stringent laws on shipping alcohol, with that size of a shipment and no license it will likely get confiscated. I tried to ship a couple cases of craft beer to a business associate in Berlin a few months ago and it didn't end well. They "destroyed" the alcohol and sent me a nasty letter.

You can order Pimms in large quantities from liquor stores in the states, it just requires a little bit of planning. If you call up a decent sized liquor store that is somewhere along your route, ask to speak with management and they should be able to set you up.

Good idea that man.

Can't wait to hear your stories and see the pictures.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Smeed posted:

I'm looking for one too! But more importantly a parking pass. This ticket and parking pass system is such a load of poo poo.

I have a vehicle pass I no longer need as I've decided to take the Burner Express. But to transfer the ticket it seems I have to change the name at will Call. The problem is when I get the Express they give me my entry ticket when I get the bus, so I bypass the regular entry and Will Call process.

How the heck do I transfer my vehicle pass?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Duke Jeffrie posted:

I have a vehicle pass I no longer need as I've decided to take the Burner Express. But to transfer the ticket it seems I have to change the name at will Call. The problem is when I get the Express they give me my entry ticket when I get the bus, so I bypass the regular entry and Will Call process.

How the heck do I transfer my vehicle pass?

I found a pass thankfully! But to change the name of something at will call I think you just need to email ticket support with the details. If you're looking to transfer it within the last couple weeks, you need a note declaring who you sold it to, a copy of your drivers license and credit card or something. There is a ticket FAQ on their website.

Unrelated but if anyone is still holding out for STEP, I just got tickets through there yesterday and I got in queue about 15 minutes after it opened. I guess there is still hope if you got in early?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I LOVE the idea of a Pimms stand. A drink full of fruit and lemonade and ice and mint? As an England resident I would probably cry if I came across you on the Playa. We ran a margarita bar last year at Burning Man and I'm not sure how we procured all the booze - if you get really stuck maybe drop me a PM and I can ask the booze lead....

Anyway, I'm just back, like jaymeekay, from Nowhere. And gently caress me, it was a ridiculous time. It felt an awful lot more like Burning Man than it did last year. I did so much crazy loving poo poo including

- hiking up a hill in a wedding dress with stolen sangria to watch the sunrise
- got 'married' to a friend from Ubertown while dancing to strange jazz by a fake ship captain
- ran around totally hosed in a giraffe costume
- organised a surprise bloody mary party at a friends camp to celebrate their engagement and managed to convince the sole DJ art car to come and set up for us
- gave ukulele lessons in a hammock with such bad wind I could barely see
- had a nervous breakdown and ended up crying my eyes out in the Welfare tent
- tried to run a kitchen in a dust storm
- watched amazing live jazz then ate actual loving lasagne made in a loving oven off actual loving plates CAN YOU loving BELIEVE THIS poo poo
- danced all morning in my underwear at the Gate party
- helped build a geodesic dome, sew in the carpet in the main centre structure (Middle of Nowhere) and hammered in nails in the floor of the main volunteer area drinking sangria
- skinny dipped in Poolhaus in the midday sun
- made up songs for newcomers on my uke while on my greeters shift
- had a massage workshop that I fell asleep during,d got dance lessons and all kinds of other things
- tried to escape the RELENTLESS GAZE OF THE MOON on Friday climbing out of a massive art installation
- dressed up as the little mermaid and fell over so hard while drunk (don't drink and run) that i couldn't walk the next day properly
- and of course, margaritas

Nowhere is the absolute poo poo guys. I cannot stress this enough! I love it.
Have some photos.

Neris fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 28, 2014

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Hehe found a company who can order me in 5 cases of Pimms and get it to my pre Burn hotel :) so that 30 bottles, that will have to do, should make a poo poo ton of the stuff :) :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
It's starting to sink in, the excitement is rising. Our camp is coming together smoothly, and the brew is turning out loving amazing. We've got official events listed on the WWW, so we're expecting a lot of traffic at 3:15 and A... I'll post our schedule once I know the better details to share :)

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
So, for the past 3 or so months I developed an uncontrollable cough which developed into chest pain. While at Transformus that pain increased 10 fold, I lost most of my stamina due to lack of breath (if I took a breath halfway it would hurt really bad) and actually had to walk off conclave halfway for the first time ever. I finally went to the hospital only to find out that I have pneumonia and chances are it's chemical based due to fire breathing. What really sucks is that I have been to multiple burns with this (kind of funny to me actually) and that I may have to give up fire breathing for a long time if not forever. What really really sucks is that any last shred of hope of going to BM has been axed and I won't be able to perform in conclave. :( This loving sucks balls. Sorry for posting this but I really needed to vent. Burn brightly guys and scratch my name into the temple.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ouch! That sucks and sounds terrible.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Throwdown posted:

So, for the past 3 or so months I developed an uncontrollable cough which developed into chest pain. While at Transformus that pain increased 10 fold, I lost most of my stamina due to lack of breath (if I took a breath halfway it would hurt really bad) and actually had to walk off conclave halfway for the first time ever. I finally went to the hospital only to find out that I have pneumonia and chances are it's chemical based due to fire breathing. What really sucks is that I have been to multiple burns with this (kind of funny to me actually) and that I may have to give up fire breathing for a long time if not forever. What really really sucks is that any last shred of hope of going to BM has been axed and I won't be able to perform in conclave. :( This loving sucks balls. Sorry for posting this but I really needed to vent. Burn brightly guys and scratch my name into the temple.

There are many other groups that could use you. Slash stuff you could do on the playa if you could stay away from the fire.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

bad-yeti posted:

Hehe found a company who can order me in 5 cases of Pimms and get it to my pre Burn hotel :) so that 30 bottles, that will have to do, should make a poo poo ton of the stuff :) :)

Very nice. If you aren't going to be attached to a camp let me know. We could try to join up to run the Pimms stand. We aren't attached to a camp and dont have any people going that we were planning to camp with.

Plan for us right now is to arrive Sunday afternoon/morning (gates open at 10am this year). Hoping to came somewhere not too close to the sound camps but other than that I have no idea.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Someone get photos of Grover Norquist at burning man this year. Thanks in advance.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
So.

SA playa meetup?

Last year was small, but we had champagne! Any camps want to host?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

YES
Come to HomeBrauHaus, drink beer, sit at our motherfucking benches that we've been building, and say hi!

Let's say... :siren: GOON MEET: Friday at 4pm, 3:15 and A :siren:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 30, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Alfajor posted:

YES
Come to HomeBrauHaus, drink beer, sit at our motherfucking benches that we've been building, and say hi!

Let's say... Friday at 4pm? 3:15 and A

I like this idea. Somehow, our camp is at 6:00 and E. I don't know if that'll be a good thing or a bad thing. This will be my first time and I'm so excited that if not for working 15+ hour days for the past week and 6 more days ahead without a day off, I wouldn't be able to sleep. I'm about 60% packed for my trip to LA with a few odds and ends left that I can pick up across the country. No sense in bringing them when I can buy them locally.

One question though. I know playa dust will get in anywhere and everywhere but I still need to buy a tent and most a made up of 2 parts with an inner, breathable mesh and an outer waterproof shell. Will this kind be ok for the week on the playa or should I look for something less "breathable" with no ventilation for dust to get in?

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Smeed posted:

But to change the name of something at will call I think you just need to email ticket support with the details.

In that case, vehicle pass available, goon burners! I'll offer it to you folks first for being the place I first heard about Burning Man. Just post a contact email or whatever. I'll put it up on the ePlaya in a couple of days if no one claims it here.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Did a last round of purchases. Camelbak, air mattress, some costume stuff and goggles. Hopefully I'll be fully prepared for when the time comes. August is going to be a pretty unforgiving month for me as I had to make a lot of switches at work to figure out this trip. I also decided to go with a theme camp. I'll be with the Black Rock Center for Unlearning at 4:15 & Cinnamon. I'll try to make it out to the Goon meet!
Oh, and I also found this unofficial map of camps to check out what is nearby.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I'll be with the Black Rock Center for Unlearning at 4:15 & Cinnamon.
Cool, I camped with BRCU for its first 2 (or 3?) years. You're going to have a lot of fun :)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo! I'm camping with BRCU this year too. I dunno if I'll actually put my tent there as my friends didn't want to pay dues, but I'll definitely spend most/all of my not-exploring time there.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

How the hell did you guys end up in BRCU anyway? Honestly curious question, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a recruitment post on... reddit... and after some back and forth through email and phone they seemed pretty cool so I jumped in.

• Locked thread