Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bellum posted:

Or be a paralegal MOS, or a chaplain's assistant, or any of the medical MOS, or public affairs. There's a lot of options for a single mother with a kid.

hottest army girl i ever met was a chaplain's assistant.

She also had 12 Hello Kitty tattoos, so she certainly wasn't sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bellum posted:

Step 1: Learn to play an instrument.
Step 2: Join the Army band.

http://www.usarmyband.com/vacancies/current-openings.html

"Members of the band are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty-two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the grade of Staff Sergeant (E-6) upon completion of four-months of active-duty service..."

That sounds like bullshit but whatever, army band beats combat arms.

Or be a paralegal MOS, or a chaplain's assistant, or any of the medical MOS, or public affairs. There's a lot of options for a single mother with a kid.

Hahah Paralegals.

You know those sad miserable fucks who work in every military post office?
Every loving one of them wanted to be a paralegal. Every.single.loving.one

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

No. She's my kid. Of course not, you loving weirdo.

She's going for X-Ray tech, and pretty much let it be known that if she can't have it, she's not taking "some bullshit MOS that they need to numbers for that they'll disband or drawdown in six months." and she'll just walk away and come back in a few months, since she has a job.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Bolow posted:

Hahah Paralegals.

You know those sad miserable fucks who work in every military post office?
Every loving one of them wanted to be a paralegal. Every.single.loving.one

post office detail was the best loving thing ever.

no morning PT
no accountability to my section chief or unit at all
worked from 8am to 2pm, 1.5 hours for lunch
every other friday was a bbq day, the civilian lady who ran the post office was one of the nicest human beings i've ever met
and we played whatever music we wanted

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I got sent TAD to postal when I first got to Iwakuni and we didn't have any civies working there. poo poo sucked mad dicks

Bolow fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Christoff posted:

Friends dad did 4 years AF and then went to USPS and just retired at like 58. He made pretty good cash and his pention is great too
A guy I work with got an AGR job shortly after 9/11, because it was considered a time of war the post office kept him on their books and he continued to gain seniority until they finally cut that off a couple years ago. Of course he gets it back if he goes back after retirement. He said he got to be outside and listened to audiobooks (Or walked around with an early satellite radio which had a "hat antenna", wasn't a bad gig at all so he'll probably go back. It sucks that the public wants to bang on about how much they support the troops but is so eager to gently caress over other government employees who put in a hard days work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

50 Foot Ant posted:

No. She's my kid. Of course not, you loving weirdo.

She's going for X-Ray tech, and pretty much let it be known that if she can't have it, she's not taking "some bullshit MOS that they need to numbers for that they'll disband or drawdown in six months." and she'll just walk away and come back in a few months, since she has a job.

If it's anything like the civilian side of things it's going to be full up. I'd assume it's the most desired MOS in the Army and every person going through those doors asks for it

"Hmm I've never worked in medicine but my aunt is an x-ray tech and makes $30 an hour! I want to do that!"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

If it's anything like the civilian side of things it's going to be full up. I'd assume it's the most desired MOS in the Army and every person going through those doors asks for it

"Hmm I've never worked in medicine but my aunt is an x-ray tech and makes $30 an hour! I want to do that!"

See also: Nurses who are totally going to become nurse anesthetists and make hella bank (protip: they never do)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya but still make bank?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

Ya but still make bank?

It's getting harder these days, unless you're willing to wipe old people butts in a nursing home.

There's always work there.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It's getting harder these days, unless you're willing to wipe old people butts in a nursing home.

There's always work there.

around these parts the lucrative wiping old fogey rear end free of diarrhea is being monopolized by the east africans

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

around these parts the lucrative wiping old fogey rear end free of diarrhea is being monopolized by the east africans

That and nurses don't want to do it. it's beneath them, and they're supposed to be telling the techs to do it.

Problem is that hospitals are still losing money, the demand for nurses is moving towards the old folks homes as the gray bomb looms.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I let her read the postings, she was all: "Post my pic, I don't give a poo poo."

Then I just let her know that this is a hive of scum and villainy where we'd have sold off Obi-Wan for his organs and sold Luke in sexual slavery to the Air Force.

Her answer was: "So, vets?"

At least she's got a go-to-hell plan: "I'll sit my busted up rear end on the back porch and drink beer with my dad."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

50 Foot Ant posted:

I let her read the postings, she was all: "Post my pic, I don't give a poo poo."

Then I just let her know that this is a hive of scum and villainy where we'd have sold off Obi-Wan for his organs and sold Luke in sexual slavery to the Air Force.

At least she's got a go-to-hell plan: "I'll sit my busted up rear end on the back porch and drink beer with my dad."

Do it

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Who's been to Iraq?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/02/lung-study-va/9771237/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Are we telling him to post pictures of his daughter or to drink beer with her?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

50 Foot Ant posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Godholio posted:

Both, I think.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Godholio posted:

Def both. She'll need a beer afterwards.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, this took a turn for the surreal.
And then another turn straight into incredibly creepy.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Casimir Radon posted:

From what I can recall Amazon, UPS, and FedEx got caught with their pants down last Christmas. Weren't prepared for the volume of stuff they ended up shipping, and took a lot of flack for it. That's probably why they're working with USPS and couriers this year.

Not exactly. Everyone got caught with their pants down last winter. Public and private entities across the northern half of the country had not prepared for such an unexpectedly cold and snowy winter. It was so bad that salt mines were only filling government orders and, even then, local governments were running out of salt.

Because nothing was moving in a timely fashion(trains/trucks/planes), trips that called for 1 driver/crew/pilot ended up needing 2 or 3. Drivers/crews/pilots are a finite resource and are bound by hours of service laws and union agreements. Those second and third drivers/crews/pilots are taken off other truck/train/plane routes which push back departure for those until another driver/crew/pilot can be found. Repeat ad infintium. Instead of needing x pieces of equipment to fulfill your needs(equipment being anything from trailers to locomotives to people; the need determined by average velocity and expected volume), you need 2x because your fleet of equipment is moving half as fast as its supposed to. There is no easy way to quickly increase equipment/people in a short period of time. On the railroads, crew and power shortages became so bad that some trains just ended up sitting in sidings for a month while they sorted things out.

Beyond this, at origin/destination locations, congestion is created by the loss in velocity. Rather than spread out several days, freight arrives in bursts when the weather clears. This creates imbalances in equipment/people and further congestion.

This was all on top of an ongoing driver shortage. Nobody wants to be a truck driver anymore. The money sucks(city moves) or the work conditions suck(over the road). Hours of service laws further restrict the man hours available.

Anyways, this is a lot more complex than 'UPS poo poo the bed because of the volume'.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

So let me get this straight.. This is your daughter:

50 Foot Ant posted:

No criminal record. 3.8 HS grad. Good work ethic. 22. Excellent health. She took a practice ASVAB and scored 96. No drugs.

And after giving her a peek into GiP we get this:

50 Foot Ant posted:

???

One of these things doesn't look like the other one.

Also, with those creds, how is she stocking shelves at Wal-mart and not at least being a financial drain on you by taking underwater basket weaving at the local Community College? Honestly having a 3.8, HS Diploma and tits, she should have qualified for some sort of scholarship to a real university.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Genocide Tendency posted:

So let me get this straight.. This is your daughter:

And after giving her a peek into GiP we get this:

???

One of these things doesn't look like the other one.

Also, with those creds, how is she stocking shelves at Wal-mart and not at least being a financial drain on you by taking underwater basket weaving at the local Community College? Honestly having a 3.8, HS Diploma and tits, she should have qualified for some sort of scholarship to a real university.

Idk, sharing drunken war stories on the porch sounds like the ultimate father-daughter bonding moment

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MancXVI posted:

Idk, sharing drunken war stories on the porch sounds like the ultimate father-daughter bonding moment

And they can share the common bond of missing GWOT.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
50FA, found you some parenting tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPiws6B17x4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

god loving damnit

I finally got around to looking at google earth and measuring out the distance between my company's AO in OIF2/3 and the center of the burn pit at Balad. 2 miles southeast.

approximately how hosed are my lungs before the extra decade of nonfilters, 8 years of weed, and a shitload of diesel exhaust from the service, and how hosed are they now?

at this point I'm almost honestly wondering how the gently caress I'm not dead of super cancer or something

also kinda wondering what heavy metals are hanging out in my body anyhow

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 9, 2014

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

god loving damnit

I finally got around to looking at google earth and measuring out the distance between my company's AO in OIF2/3 and the center of the burn pit at Balad. 2 miles southeast.

approximately how hosed are my lungs before the extra decade of nonfilters, 8 years of weed, and a shitload of diesel exhaust from the service, and how hosed are they now?

at this point I'm almost honestly wondering how the gently caress I'm not dead of super cancer or something

when I think back over all the weird poo poo I breathed in over the course of my military service, oooh boy

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We burned car batteries pretty regularly in our burn pits. No, I don't remember why.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DownByTheWooter posted:

when I think back over all the weird poo poo I breathed in over the course of my military service, oooh boy

I've ingested enough de-icing fluid that it surely has to be toxic. Not to mention JP-8 fumes and other poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had a burn pit on my first fob, and then I moved to KAF where there was not only a burn pit but also the infamous poo pond. I swear they could have ran a bioweapons lab with the terrors that had to be growing in ~11 years worth of human waste that had been baked in the desert sun for just as long.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've ingested enough de-icing fluid that it surely has to be toxic. Not to mention JP-8 fumes and other poo poo.

actually, isn't deicing fluid just propylene glycol? you're fine with that, but yeah breathing jp-8 fumes all day every day in basically any deployed environment in the military probably not so great for you

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DownByTheWooter posted:

ooof. I was a truck mechanic. I can remember countless days being so black from dirt, oil, dust, and whatever the gently caress other petroleum products, only to wander over to the shower trailer to be shocked in the middle of a weak, cold spritz because haji don't know what the gently caress ground means in electrical circuits and who the gently caress ever heard of water heaters?

then I think about all the ridiculous poo poo that went on and how oddly fun it was, I'd consider it a fair trade. a few years in the service for all the lovely ones at the end.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Icon Of Sin posted:

We had a burn pit on my first fob, and then I moved to KAF where there was not only a burn pit but also the infamous poo pond. I swear they could have ran a bioweapons lab with the terrors that had to be growing in ~11 years worth of human waste that had been baked in the desert sun for just as long.

That poo pond is really the greatest nation-building achievement the US has made in Afghanistan. That's gonna be the greenest two hectares in Central Asia in 50 years.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

We burned car batteries pretty regularly in our burn pits. No, I don't remember why.

fun.

as in, "it was fun throwing that 40 pounds of lead and acid that produces hydrogen gas onto a massive fire and seeing how far away you can get before anything good happens, if at all (usually not though)."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

That poo pond is really the greatest nation-building achievement the US has made in Afghanistan. That's gonna be the greenest two hectares in Central Asia in 50 years.

Figures that the only way we could make a lasting improvement for even a small section of Afghanistan was literally shoving all the poo poo we could into that area :v:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

ooof. I was a truck mechanic. I can remember countless days being so black from dirt, oil, dust, and whatever the gently caress other petroleum products, only to wander over to the shower trailer to be shocked in the middle of a weak, cold spritz because haji don't know what the gently caress ground means in electrical circuits and who the gently caress ever heard of water heaters?

then I think about all the ridiculous poo poo that went on and how oddly fun it was, I'd consider it a fair trade. a few years in the service for all the lovely ones at the end.

lol yeah that whole part of the world where people have more limited access to energy means they don't really know how the gently caress it works. I also got shocked by one of those loving showers in mosul the name of the fob escapes me though

anyway, yeah to add onto that, the one dude I saw die in Afghanistan was some fella hooking up a crane's cable from like one of those little asian midget flatbed/crane combos to a big jersey barrier. The crane operator tipped the boom right up against a power line, the dude on the jersey wall got the poo poo zapped out of him, the crane caught on fire. I was on the other side of a couple of hescos burning office shred out there like a good little fobbit peon when all this commotion suddenly breaks loose and then we were running around trying to put this nonsense out with fire extinguishers out of the nearby b-huts, the one afghan running around blabbering with his hands over his face, the other one awkwardly sprawled out across the top of that concrete block next to the fire which by this point was burning all that filthy axle grease and bullshit off the winch and joints of the crane covering everything with greasy black smoke, and that one gnarled brown hand still stiffly clutching the wire rope

lol yeah that's always a funny story to tell people cause they expect I'm gonna tell them about the dude I saw eat it when we got into a firefight or something, but no, just plain old savages run afoul of the outside world's magic

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

KBR would burn god knows what right outside where our living quarters were, it was always around 6 A.M so I either went to bed or was waking up to the smell of some god awful plastic poo poo.

Black Lung Crew represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
honestly, deployments are the world's largest darwin awards ceremony

• Locked thread