Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

1H used to be, by far, the most favored style. The only thing we changed, IIRC, was its Accuracy bonus.

If 1H became faster, there'd be less to distinguish it from two-weapon.

Yes but you've made three indirect changes that really swing things the other way - additive damage calculation changes the game because crits no longer multiply all damage by * 1.5, all weapons do less damage than before (ranges were reduced) and there is no more percentile DR.

This means that

Accuracy is no longer the be-all-and-end-all
Once DT is bypassed, two-handers do not suffer from massive damage reduction anymore and two-handers fare better against DR anyway
Light and 1H weapons have slightly more trouble punching through DT

Roguelike would be able to do more accurate calculations than me, but at best - the most you'll ever get out of 1H style is +15% damage between ACC-DEF = 0 and +5, at any point above or below that, that damage increase decreases because you're only getting either a 1% chance of +50% or a 1% chance of +100% if Accuracy is lower or higher than that.

Two-Handed weapons, by default, deal ~25% more damage than 1H weapons do (11*1.25) & (16*1.25) gets you basically 2H standard damage, so by default - 2H is better. They attack at the same speed, and 2H deals more damage as a base, and that base is multiplicative rather than additive like the crit bonus - so that number benefits more from percentile increases to damage.

Then there are the styles. Two-Handed Style gives a damage mult of x1.1 (or +10% damage), and One-Handed Style gives 20% Graze-to-Hit conversion. Grazes will, most of the time, have a 35% chance to occur, so that 20% has a 7% chance of occuring (0.2 * 0.35). Converting a graze to a hit only gives a +50% increase to damage and doesn't remove miss chance, so it is flat out worse than a point in accuracy all the time.

On top of that, when I use the style in game - I just feel like I'm attacking slowly, strugging against even moderate DR and just in general being mediocre. I would love to use a 1H style build in game, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.

I don't really care how it's done, but I don't see increasing the speed as a problem - sure it might make it 'more indistinguishable' from Two Weapon Style but currently it's the same speed as 2H style, so one could argue that it's 'a bit indistinguishable from 2H style' other than being weaker than it. I don't think having an attack rate in between both styles would be more confusing either, I just see that as the most viable way of improving it.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Haven't played the beta.

Can you make a two-handed no armor fighter in this game? I made one in Dragon Age: Origins and it owned.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yea sure why not. Do it with a monk so your wounds feed your abilities.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Do it with a Barbarian so you can have every swing of your giant sword splash damage on all enemies nearby. (And take stealth so you can be Conan)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CommissarMega posted:

The obvious solution is to go for full-on Soldier specialization and turn into a Landsknecht:

Seriously, look at those dudes and despair, for you shall never be that swag. Also, please have the sound guys loop this endlessly in combat if you've got a character in platemail, arquebus and greatsword tia ropekid.

War was pimpin' back in those days.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

So to fix that you would do...what, ideally? That kinda sucks (and seems silly) that there's this whole combat option that is inferior to the degree you describe. Like, there are one-handed (not S&B) abilities you can level up and select, right?

It's not that bad. You get + 10 accuracy, how much that helps depends on your accuracy deflection difference. If it's a normal difference the weapon style, will have 30% chance to make a difference. I think increasing the accuracy bonus would help.

The problem is the talent it only gives you a 20 % graze to hit chance, that talent hae only a chance of 7 %(and it only decreases if you have too high/low accuracy) to activate and will increase the damage + 50%. Now compare that to the x1.1 damage of two handed, the + 10 deflection bonus and the + 20 % attack speed of dual wielding.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 18, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Sensuki posted:

I don't really care how it's done, but I don't see increasing the speed as a problem - sure it might make it 'more indistinguishable' from Two Weapon Style but currently it's the same speed as 2H style, so one could argue that it's 'a bit indistinguishable from 2H style' other than being weaker than it. I don't think having an attack rate in between both styles would be more confusing either, I just see that as the most viable way of improving it.
That is something I never understood, not having played the beta. Using a 2h versus a single 1h looks like a no-brainer when the 2h does more damage and is not slower. It seems like the comparison is even less favorable when you add in the loss of offhand stats and the weapon style differences.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Damnit. Good answers to my Duelist question.

The only problem now is that I'll probably have to make a few characters to start, before I find one that fits what I have in mind.

I prided myself on thinking, "Heh, look at all these fools, being stuck because of all the cool characters they can possibly make! I shall just make the one true character, which is duelist, and be correct in all things :smug:" but now I have the same problem as you guys.

why you gotta go and make a cool game ropekid

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I can look at 1H again but,

Sensuki posted:

Then there are the styles. Two-Handed Style gives a damage mult of x1.1 (or +10% damage), and One-Handed Style gives 20% Graze-to-Hit conversion. Grazes will, most of the time, have a 35% chance to occur, so that 20% has a 7% chance of occuring (0.2 * 0.35). Converting a graze to a hit only gives a +50% increase to damage and doesn't remove miss chance, so it is flat out worse than a point in accuracy all the time.
The 1H Talent is now a 30% convert and, practically speaking, a Graze > Hit usually winds up being more than a 50% increase in damage done unless the target has low DR.

Some of the QA guys specifically do "conversion" builds, but I don't really want that to be the entire basis of a viable weapon style.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

I can look at 1H again but,
The 1H Talent is now a 30% convert and, practically speaking, a Graze > Hit usually winds up being more than a 50% increase in damage done unless the target has low DR.

Some of the QA guys specifically do "conversion" builds, but I don't really want that to be the entire basis of a viable weapon style.

Yeah that would be nice IMO. Change must have been made post-v480.

30% sounds alright, and yeah I hadn't figured DR into the equation.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ceaselessfuture posted:

The only problem now is that I'll probably have to make a few characters to start, before I find one that fits what I have in mind.

I prided myself on thinking, "Heh, look at all these fools, being stuck because of all the cool characters they can possibly make! I shall just make the one true character, which is duelist, and be correct in all things :smug:" but now I have the same problem as you guys.

Normally in this type of game I just roll a Mage and call it a day (even in baldurs gate) but in Poe I actually tried out a bunch of the classes so kudos for making all the classes genuinely interesting.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
So in the end the difference between 1 handed style and 2 is that 1 should have much more consistent damage as you will have less grazes?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

grrarg posted:

That is something I never understood, not having played the beta. Using a 2h versus a single 1h looks like a no-brainer when the 2h does more damage and is not slower. It seems like the comparison is even less favorable when you add in the loss of offhand stats and the weapon style differences.
Any property of a weapon that is related to it making an attack will occur less frequently when dual-wielding compared to single-wielding or weapon & shield.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ceaselessfuture posted:

Heh, I'm still super torn over making a Chanter or a Ranger.

On one hand, I love Bards and playing a Bard who is a skald sounds awesome. One the other hand I can have a pet Lion.

So, yeah. Probably gonna flip a coin.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hand Row posted:

So in the end the difference between 1 handed style and 2 is that 1 should have much more consistent damage as you will have less grazes?
1H should have fewer outright Misses and more Hits/Crits because its Accuracy is inherently higher.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

Any property of a weapon that is related to it making an attack will occur less frequently when dual-wielding compared to single-wielding or weapon & shield.

What's the formula for that? (for posterity/wiki)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Zore posted:

I love Bards and playing a Bard who is a skald sounds awesome.

Goddamnit, that does sound good.

Has anyone tried a melee Chanter? Spellsword-style character? I think in the last thread people were talking about Bard tanks being sweet, but what about one that's a little more proactive?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I didnt really like Divinity: Original Sin because it was too easy and the writing and story sort of blew, I didn't like the new Dragon Age because my mind got incredibly scattered by quest overload in Act 2 and my OCD wont let me finish it. The same sort of thing happened with BG2 (when I was a kid, mind you). My favorite RPG is planescape torment. Will I like this?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's just based on attack frequency. Over 18 seconds, with no armor penalty, two standard weapons making 1 second attacks with 1 second recoveries will make 5 attacks each.

0 Sec - Weapon A
2 Sec - Weapon B
4 Sec - Weapon A
6 Sec - Weapon B
8 Sec - Weapon A
10 Sec - Weapon B
12 Sec - Weapon A
14 Sec - Weapon B
16 Sec - Weapon A
18 Sec - Weapon B

Using just one weapon, you should see this:

0 Sec - Weapon A
2.5 Sec - Weapon A
5 Sec - Weapon A
7.5 Sec - Weapon A
10 Sec - Weapon A
12.5 Sec - Weapon A
15 Sec - Weapon A
17.5 Sec - Weapon A

In the same amount(ish) of time, Weapon A makes 5 attacks when dual-wielded, 8 attacks when single-wielded. So if you have a property like "Stunning" on a weapon, it's going to have more chances to go off simply because that weapon is making more frequent attacks.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

ceaselessfuture posted:

Goddamnit, that does sound good.

Has anyone tried a melee Chanter? Spellsword-style character? I think in the last thread people were talking about Bard tanks being sweet, but what about one that's a little more proactive?

I think generally people load Chanters with heavier armor and melee because their chants aren't affected by negative armor effects. Their best abilities take a while to warm up and even then it can be things like summoning so not sure how truly proactive they can be.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I didnt really like Divinity: Original Sin because it was too easy and the writing and story sort of blew, I didn't like the new Dragon Age because my mind got incredibly scattered by quest overload in Act 2 and my OCD wont let me finish it. The same sort of thing happened with BG2 (when I was a kid, mind you). My favorite RPG is planescape torment. Will I like this?

This game is appropriately challenging on higher difficulties and the writing is top-notch, from what I've seen in the beta.

The quest structure is probably a lot like BG2, though, so if having a lot of open quests in your journal/quest log bothers you then you might be in trouble.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Is there a difference in casting time / cooldown of spells/skills depending on what kind of weapon (1-h, 2-h, dual wield etc.) a character's using?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

Using just one weapon, you should see this:

0 Sec - Weapon A
2.5 Sec - Weapon A

In the game, it *looks like* 1H and 2H have a 60 frame recovery. In a frame-by-frame video, I'm capturing 54 frames of recovery but there are probably dropped frames. I believe in the code, the formula for recovery penalty still includes the animation length as well. Your old chart indicated that 2H has a 30 frame animation, 30 frame recovery and 30 frame recovery penalty from the 2H recovery penalty.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 18, 2015

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I want to make the following party:

1. Brock Sampson - Barbarian - specializes in knife/daggers, licensed to kill
2. Rusty Venture - Rogue - failed super scientist wizard, would totally stab someone in the back
3. Hank Venture - Monk - totally Batman
4. Dean Venture - Chanter - Trianna probably thinks poetry and skeletons are sexy.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Litany Unheard posted:

This game is appropriately challenging on higher difficulties and the writing is top-notch, from what I've seen in the beta.

The quest structure is probably a lot like BG2, though, so if having a lot of open quests in your journal/quest log bothers you then you might be in trouble.

It was more in Dragon Age what seemed like a billion meaningless fetch quests

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So I know my BG and my IWD. Do I start on hard mode, or is that for when you understand the PoE systems.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

TrueMenace from NeoGAF and I are planning on doing a comprehensive video series to introduce people to the systems who haven't played the beta. The idea is that after you watch those you should have no problem jumping straight in on Hard difficulty.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ah, I haven't played Inquisition, but I heard something about that. Obsidian doesn't really do the "Collect twelve bear asses" kind of quests. Every quest in the backer beta has a plotline to it, whether short and sweet or long and involved. No meaningless grinding for drops.

Evil Canadian posted:

So I know my BG and my IWD. Do I start on hard mode, or is that for when you understand the PoE systems.

Do what I did: start on Hard mode and just be ready to reload a lot until you have the systems down. Took me a couple of hours and that was in the beta which starts you at level 3 with a five-person party. Probably easier to learn if you get to start from the beginning with a fresh character.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

D:OS was too easy? Whaaaat.

I thought it was moderately challenging for the 20 hours I put into it, then again I'm no where near the end of the game... I had a hard drive crash and I just haven't mustered up the desire to start over yet, getting there though.
I thought the story was pretty neat for what I saw of it and it had the great Larian humor all over the place.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - "Larian Humor" is to humor what creative writing students are when they try to write like Terry Pratchett.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

oh my Goooood all those stupid loving questssssssss

:suicide:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 18, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I read a fuckton for a my living. If I have to read a lot in my relaxing hobbies, it better be good

On a related note, is there going to be voice acting?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not extensively. Dyrford had one voiced character iirc

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I read a fuckton for a my living. If I have to read a lot in my relaxing hobbies, it better be good

On a related note, is there going to be voice acting?

Minimal voice acting. Hardly any.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drifter posted:

^^^ - "Larian Humor" is to humor what creative writing students are when they try to write like Terry Pratchett.

I thought the humor worked. :shrug:

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
About the 1h weapon against 2h weapon: if the enemy has 0 dr a 1h weapon is better than a 2h weapon if you have 30 or less accuracy as the enemies defense(e.g. you have 30 accuracy the enemy has 60 deflection). If the dr of the enemy is higher you seem to need a lot worse accuracy.(If you take the average damage of the two weapon styles). Fun fact if you increase the bonus to + 15 accuracy(the old value), you will need only the same accuracy or less as the enemies defense, to make 1h weapons stronger.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

New buttons, removed the "StupidPanel" (c)BMac, and adjusted log texture (changing it is hard - need to bring this up post release)

prometheus12345 posted:

About the 1h weapon against 2h weapon: if the enemy has 0 dr a 1h weapon is better than a 2h weapon if you have 30 or less accuracy as the enemies defense(e.g. you have 30 accuracy the enemy has 60 deflection). If the dr of the enemy is higher you seem to need a lot worse accuracy.(If you take the average damage of the two weapon styles). Fun fact if you increase the bonus to + 15 accuracy(the old value), you will need only the same accuracy or less as the enemies defense, to make 1h weapons stronger.

The styles were balanced for 0 DR - that is part of the problem, as 0 DR does not come up very often at all.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You might know [Tolkien] as a big influence on R.A. Salvatore.
So was Monty Python!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Drifter posted:

Minimal voice acting. Hardly any.

I'm happy because voice acting in games with lots of dialogue can be horseshit bad

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You mean you don-

Of course, subt-

But you can't ju-

Bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Unless a game has particularly excellent voice acting or cinematic presentation, I just end up skipping most of it anyway. Reading is way faster.

• Locked thread