Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

This is a battery hog of the highest caliber, but I'll forgive it because Pokémon. Taking the kids on a hunt for the little buggers today, they're excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Turns out where I work is a gym and a pokestop. Thanks EPA.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What do you think quantifies a "significant local landmark?" I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm trying to figure out where I should try biking to figure out where the local gyms would be. Would it be something official, like a post office or a courthouse, or should I bust out the big guns and try Walmart?

In Ingress, courthouses and post offices, no matter how small, counted as landmarks. Also, interesting things; for example a moderately fancy italian restaurant near me has a big ornate fountain outside; that counts as a gym of all things apparently

SynthOrange posted:

gently caress.

Wonder if it'll take cycling speeds?

I just got done biking to work today, it counts it...sometimes. If you're climbing a hill or otherwise slowing down it starts to count it, but if you're going down a hill (or really, even pushing fast on flat road) it does not.

Seems like walking is the thing to do!

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
Turns out I have a pokestop right in front of my house. This game is way more fun than it ought to be.

e: How do you close the drat game? Back button doesn't do anything. Or is that just my phone?

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I read somewhere it won't read you if you are going over 10 MPH. I have not verified that though.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Where the hell are all the drat mons

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What do you think quantifies a "significant local landmark?" I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm trying to figure out where I should try biking to figure out where the local gyms would be. Would it be something official, like a post office or a courthouse, or should I bust out the big guns and try Walmart?

Genuinely upset. If I zoom all the way out I can see a single item stop and I need to decide whether or not I wanna take a visit to a graveyard to get the sick drops

Walmart or any kind of retail: probably not. A lot of the locations tend to be unique things: signs, artwork, graffiti, plaques, fountains.

Rural is always going to be tough because most of the data in this is crowd sourced as part of Ingress and thus people = places.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I went on a walk for an hour yesterday, hit like six different pokestops, but didn't find a single wild pokemon. Is this normal?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

Where the hell are all the drat mons

https://twitter.com/_MasterRED_/status/750843061802921985/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SMP
May 5, 2009

PathAsc posted:

This is a battery hog of the highest caliber, but I'll forgive it because Pokémon. Taking the kids on a hunt for the little buggers today, they're excited!

I lost charge while charging :psyduck:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fuckkkkk. I went Team Yellow. Captured some six-ish gyms walking around the local college campus yesterday. Woke up today to find a team of four Blues had grabbed them all and leveled them up.

I'm never going to see another team yellow member in town, am I?

fadam posted:

I went on a walk for an hour yesterday, hit like six different pokestops, but didn't find a single wild pokemon. Is this normal?

They don't have to be near pokestops. Check the tracking, see if you're just walking in areas without them.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 7, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The locals here are bad at games so they're out trying to win gyms with 35CP Pokemon. It's really weird.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Sirbloody posted:

I read somewhere it won't read you if you are going over 10 MPH. I have not verified that though.

Seems about right. I went for a ride this arvo and my eggs only ticked over when I stopped/started. The distance travelled roughly equaled the times I was going slower than 15km. On the bright side when I ended up flatting a couple of km from home i wasn't as salty about having to walk the rest of the way.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

SMP posted:

I lost charge while charging :psyduck:

Maybe you need a better charger? Sounds bad. Depends on the device I guess.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Since there's no ingame notification when your gym is knocked over, I think what I'm going to do is name the pokemon with the name of the gym I deploy it at, then check the potion screen to see which of my Pokes are not at full health (because when they get knocked out of a gym, they return to you with 1hp).

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Can you just duel against other people?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
So the Pidgey that are everywhere eventually make a badass Pidgeot that's easy to level. Definitely do that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So you can only get coins with real money or can you get them in game somewhere?

I wish I could've just loving paid like 10 bucks or some poo poo for this just to have a game with no restrictions. Mobile gaming :sigh:

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

This is a bit upsetting, I work on Ft. Stewart (Army Base) and there is a gym right down the road from where I work that has a drat Nidoking (Red team) in it (I am only level 4, almost 5) how the hell did they get one so quick? The sad thing is I have not found a single wild pokemon since getting on base this morning. I might go for my normal walk a bit earlier and stop by the gym/pokemarts in the area and see if I can find something.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So you can only get coins with real money or can you get them in game somewhere?

I wish I could've just loving paid like 10 bucks or some poo poo for this just to have a game with no restrictions. Mobile gaming :sigh:

You get coins for having pokemon assigned to a gym. 10 coins per pokemon (up to a max of 10) per 21 hour period.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is a Pokestop down the road from me where a 15yr old girl was last seen

No ghost type to be found. Did find a revive crystal though

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Gyms are bugged for me. I get their poke to no health then it just sits there.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is there any reason to keep my game idle on my desk while at work? Will Pokemon eventually wander into my range?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

used an incense and now im catchin pokemons while poopin. nice. next, I'll go for a walk.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

m.hache posted:

So is there any reason to keep my game idle on my desk while at work? Will Pokemon eventually wander into my range?

yes, turn on battery saver in the option and set it face down to conserve power/allow for charging

Sirbloody posted:

This is a bit upsetting, I work on Ft. Stewart (Army Base) and there is a gym right down the road from where I work that has a drat Nidoking (Red team) in it (I am only level 4, almost 5) how the hell did they get one so quick? The sad thing is I have not found a single wild pokemon since getting on base this morning. I might go for my normal walk a bit earlier and stop by the gym/pokemarts in the area and see if I can find something.

you can sometimes find fully evolved pokemon in the wild, my first catch ever after charmander was pidgeot (who has now successively beat a few people if my rating is to go by)

also ive played pretty casually yesterday, only hitting a few pokestop and two gyms and i'm almost 7, leveling at start isn't time consuming

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Rafza posted:

yes, turn on battery saver in the option and set it face down to conserve power/allow for charging

you can sometimes find fully evolved pokemon in the wild, my first catch ever after charmander was pidgeot (who has now successively beat a few people if my rating is to go by)

also ive played pretty casually yesterday, only hitting a few pokestop and two gyms and i'm almost 7, leveling at start isn't time consuming

True, I wasted over 50 Pokeballs trying to catch a Pidgeot, I am not sure how I kept missing I blame the VR mode (Which I turned off).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey battery saver also works if you put it upside down , i.e in your pocket.

Edit look who turned up

:stare:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 7, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

m.hache posted:

Yeah, I've gotten all eight of my Pokemon while sitting at my desk. I considered going out at 3am to find the Ghastly but decided against it.

I'm gonna ride my bike around town and write down the locations of all the gyms. I guess one of the upsides of living in a rural area is that nowhere in town is more than a fifteen minutes away, hopefully I'll run into enough Pidgeys to hit level five, evolve them, and snag myself a gym.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My goon rear end is never going to be able to hatch this 10km egg.

In other news, I spent an hour and a half this morning wondering around campus until he Virginia heat forces me inside. I'll probably do it again this evening.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Salem, MA is full of Pokestops and Psychic Pokemon which makes me super happy. I caught like 10 Drowzee with the help of an incense before bed last night and went around the block this morning and hit up seven Pokestops.

Unfortunately I'm moving to suburban Connecticut next month :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do they run away after awhile or can you just leave your phone on and come back to catch 50 pokes all crowded around?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Disargeria posted:

Disney World looks like a goldmine.

I am going tomorrow with my kid! I will be the true Pokemon master.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Columbus, OH seems to be populated with nothing but weedle, oddish, and bellsprout

gonna have me a baller victreebell today though

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I found an egg at a stop earlier, but can't find it in my inventory anywhere ?_?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, I've gotten all eight of my Pokemon while sitting at my desk. I considered going out at 3am to find the Ghastly but decided against it.

I'm gonna ride my bike around town and write down the locations of all the gyms. I guess one of the upsides of living in a rural area is that nowhere in town is more than a fifteen minutes away, hopefully I'll run into enough Pidgeys to hit level five, evolve them, and snag myself a gym.

Well to follow up on that. I have my phone plugged in and the screen keeps dimming out. I'm assuming once it locks the app stops?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Williamsburg as Horsea.

We're not next to the ocean, but ok.

(On the other hand, I caught a Psyduck next to the duck pond. :3:)

Chibs posted:

I found an egg at a stop earlier, but can't find it in my inventory anywhere ?_?

Eggs are under Pokemon, not items.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I didn't notice the Eggs tab because my screen is broken, whoops. Thanks

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

That's because every Pokestop/gym is based off an Ingress portal location, and submitted Ingress portal is supposed to be a significant architectural landmark. It even uses pictures from Ingress for those locations.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I find it extremely funny.

ahhh - from a few pages back, but I guess that explains this:

Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 7, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

When do you get to pick a starter? It just kinda turned me loose into the map view, and I wandered around the office and found a Bulbasaur hanging out. I caught it and the professor finally asked me to pick a user name, so I'm not sure that I'm even out of the tutorial.

Could be explained better, by the way. I didn't know how to catch anything until I read the thread -- clicking on Bulbasaur brought the Pokeball up to his head but didn't do anything, and I flicked the Pokeball once or twice but missed, and then I got worried that my F2P supply of Pokeballs was limited and I didn't know if I was doing it right or just wasting Pokeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Rafza posted:

Columbus, OH seems to be populated with nothing but weedle, oddish, and bellsprout

gonna have me a baller victreebell today though

I am on the north east side and have found a Pidgey, Spearow, Rattata, Nidoran, and Venonat.

Edit: and Weedle right now. Maybe it is time more then location.

• Locked thread