Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The repulsor changes color and makes a loud, obnoxious BWOWOWOWOWONNNGGGG noise when the monster is moving into it. Also the recent updates added little panels in front of the monster while using it that show which directions can be blocked by the repulsor. Once you figure out that you can curve the beam, it's very straightforward. If the color doesn't change and it isn't making that loud noise, then it's not working. Just having the beam on the monster doesn't do anything. It has got to be pointed the right way.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Jumping jesus fighting Wraith is terrifying. Gorgon is annoying and Goliath seems a bit meh to be honest. So far, I've won every game I have played as Elder Kraken and I'm very thankful that I've not ever seen anyone else playing it or Kraken. The spike damage you can put out by spamming all four of your abilities is a bloodbath. What is a good strategy for fighting Wraith? Its high maneuverability means it always seems to be able to stay one step ahead of us and so we're always fighting it with armour, where it can basically just go in for the kill using supernova and its high speed to focus fire a single hunter to death. With pubs I can't rely on having a Hank to keep me alive.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

The repulsor changes color and makes a loud, obnoxious BWOWOWOWOWONNNGGGG noise when the monster is moving into it. Also the recent updates added little panels in front of the monster while using it that show which directions can be blocked by the repulsor. Once you figure out that you can curve the beam, it's very straightforward. If the color doesn't change and it isn't making that loud noise, then it's not working. Just having the beam on the monster doesn't do anything. It has got to be pointed the right way.

I mean it doesn't really convey what the repulsor actually does well, like I just see the monster advancing at a similar rate to walking or something and ask myself if I just did anything with the repulsor at all.

But if was there some minor blast/knockback on mobility usage I'd probably get what was going on easier.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Doodmons posted:

Jumping jesus fighting Wraith is terrifying. Gorgon is annoying and Goliath seems a bit meh to be honest. So far, I've won every game I have played as Elder Kraken and I'm very thankful that I've not ever seen anyone else playing it or Kraken. The spike damage you can put out by spamming all four of your abilities is a bloodbath. What is a good strategy for fighting Wraith? Its high maneuverability means it always seems to be able to stay one step ahead of us and so we're always fighting it with armour, where it can basically just go in for the kill using supernova and its high speed to focus fire a single hunter to death. With pubs I can't rely on having a Hank to keep me alive.

Wraith is floaty as hell. Try to fight it next to a ledge you can climb up and down from. When you drop down the ledge, the wraith will slowly float down to the bottom if it tries to chase you, wasting time on Supernova. The Decoy AI is also pretty dumb and doesn't know how to deal with ledges.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Dear pubbie Lazarus,

Your character's whole loving gimmick is you can use one of your other weapons to raise people with no health penalty. I know he is your only option right now and you probably didn't even want to play him, but please, for the love of God, you're loving us over big time when you just waddle up to us and hit E to bring us up. Read your abilities and stop trying to get sick 360 no scopes.

Thanks,
The guy probably playing Cabot

ps if you shoot after cloaking then you are no longer cloaked stop wasting your cloak

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

John Dyne posted:

Dear pubbie Lazarus,

Your character's whole loving gimmick is you can use one of your other weapons to raise people with no health penalty. I know he is your only option right now and you probably didn't even want to play him, but please, for the love of God, you're loving us over big time when you just waddle up to us and hit E to bring us up. Read your abilities and stop trying to get sick 360 no scopes.

Thanks,
The guy probably playing Cabot

ps if you shoot after cloaking then you are no longer cloaked stop wasting your cloak

Hey other cabot player, curious what perks you take. Sincerely, other cabot player.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Knifegrab posted:

Hey other cabot player, curious what perks you take. Sincerely, other cabot player.

Really depends on the medic we have but typically I take level 1 Regen, level 2 jetpack king or Regen (medic and monster dependant), and then the reload talent, which I think helps the damage amp and dust tagger recharge quicker and helps pop off those rail shots.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

John Dyne posted:

Really depends on the medic we have but typically I take level 1 Regen, level 2 jetpack king or Regen (medic and monster dependant), and then the reload talent, which I think helps the damage amp and dust tagger recharge quicker and helps pop off those rail shots.

Reload does in fact help both those recharge faster, I tested it recently.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

been playing this the last few days with a bud. it's pretty fun, though i think the hunters only win like, once every 10 matches or so

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

been playing this the last few days with a bud. it's pretty fun, though i think the hunters only win like, once every 10 matches or so

Come join the discord or find another group of players. With a competent team hunters win almost every game. But yeah slumming it up it always seems like monsters have the edge.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Knifegrab posted:

Reload does in fact help both those recharge faster, I tested it recently.

Yeah it's noticeable. With Lazarus and Wraith free week I prefer the health Regen for healing during the chase and dealing with incidental from AoE since the wraith always guns for the trapper and medic first, especially since Lazarus isn't king of healing

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

John Dyne posted:

Yeah it's noticeable. With Lazarus and Wraith free week I prefer the health Regen for healing during the chase and dealing with incidental from AoE since the wraith always guns for the trapper and medic first, especially since Lazarus isn't king of healing

Ol' Lazzy is getting a buff tomorrow which will give him regen during cloak to make him more survivable but other than that, yeah he seems really tough to work with.

I have been trying to figure out a build to make him decent and I think command/leadership are the way to go. The lazarus device is great for if someone dies, but it sucks in that you have to let your team go down which can start a real domino affect so I think being able to burst heal more often is really the correct answer.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Goons are awesome but playing alone with pubbies suck. If only because they constantly join matches and immediately drop back out over and over.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ularg posted:

Goons are awesome but playing alone with pubbies suck. If only because they constantly join matches and immediately drop back out over and over.

If one thing desperately needs to come, it's the ability for drop-in joins, because the AI seems to be complete rear end on a pretty sizable amount of the cast, so on top of the already frustrating gamble of solo queue, god help you if the game manages to stick you with a bot.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Agreed. Man, I made the mistake going to the Evolve reddit. Figure it'd give me some more up to date advice and give me some decent reading material. But it seems to be inhabited by the "Don't you DARE try to RUIN MY GAME by picking a hunter you should already know is bad or by not being maxed out with a hunter in levels when you join MY GAME."

Just so many admitting to queue dodging for a variety of garbage reasons. Like they think they have the luxury of being picky with such a small playerbase.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
My understanding is the original Evolve had drop-in matchmaking and people hated it. They do need to fix continuing the pre-game setup after someone leaves though. A game should never start with less than five people.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 26, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Drakes posted:

I mean it doesn't really convey what the repulsor actually does well, like I just see the monster advancing at a similar rate to walking or something and ask myself if I just did anything with the repulsor at all.

But if was there some minor blast/knockback on mobility usage I'd probably get what was going on easier.

Jack's description when you have him highlighted says his repulsor bends and pushes against the monster, slowing him to a crawl. It literally says this in the first sentence. Is the monster practically stuck in place? It's working. Is he running unimpeded? It's not working. Is the repulsor making an incredibly loud and obvious noise along with changing color? It's working.

Honestly, what do you want? Should Jack just shout "IIIIT'S WORKIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG" for the whole duration? The repulsor does that for you. There are definitely many things that aren't obvious in the game, but sometimes you have to stop and ask yourself "Am I just oblivious to what's going on around me?"

I agree 100% when goons complain that all numbers/variables/etc should be readily available somewhere. But god drat just think for a second about what's going on when you're playing the game. I'm a little salty about this. Not at you individually; your comment was just the one that got me on this thought train.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 26, 2016

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Don't forget, before this update it didn't even tell you what your damage numbers were. That must have been an odd time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Why would you care if a damage number pops out or not? If you shoot the monster and its bar goes down you did damage.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

They should increase all the damage numbers by x1000 so you really feel like you are kicking rear end when you are plinking away at the monster with a puny pistol.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I actually think they did a good job making the numbers fit, since as the hunter you get to do 8 and 12 damage with your piddly little human bullets while the monster goes around exploding for 500. The numbers have the same sense of scale that the concept/visuals do.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? The monster is just a huge pool of health, so some indication that puts your damage output into perspective isn't a terrible idea.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I wish you got the full team breakdown at the end. That way I could feel fully justified for being annoyed the assault didn't use his flamethrower enough. Add in the pistol damage amount too just for fun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Every bar of health is 1000 health on the monster, I do believe, I could be wrong of course.

Also new patch just dropped:

"Patch Notes posted:

## The Dropzone - Update 2.03

**Store Content**

* Weapon Skins - Goes live on Wednesday
* Blitz Markov Predator
* Rogue Val Union Jack
* Cabot Nighthunter
* Abe Victory
* Hunter Skins - Goes live on Thursday
* Bucket Monarch
* Monster Skins - Goes live on Thursday
* Tropical Wraith Skin

## Matchmaking Updates

* Players now lose their win streak if they leave after getting into character select.

##Gameplay Updates

## Auto Dropship

* We’ve done some overhauls on how the dropship works, the new functionality is listed below.
* As soon as a Hunter gets incapped, the dropship timer begins counting down.
* Once the dropship timer hits 5 seconds, all incapped Hunters are automatically placed in the dropship to make sure all Hunters will make the drop.
* Suicide to spawn on dropship has been removed, it is now automated.

## Damage Reduction Spawn Buff on First Dropship

* On the first Dropship spawn when a Hunt match begins, the Hunters will spawn with the Damage Resistance buff for a short amount of time.
* We noticed a lot of Monsters trying to engage right off the first dropship spawn, so this new feature will prevent Monsters killing Hunters as they land off the dropship.

## Elite Wildlife Indicators

* All Elite Wildlife Buffs now have new visual effects attached to them to help stand out during the course of a Hunt game.
* They’re basically giant beams of light coming off the Wildlife, so you can’t miss them!

## Take a Break has been Removed

* We found a lot of players were going idle during matchmaking games, so we decided to remove the Take a Break functionality to get rid of players abusing this mechanic.

## Reduce Idle Kick Timer

* The timer has been reduced to 1 minute from 5 minutes to prevent players from idle farming Silver Keys

## Clarity Updates

**Added Animation for completing Periodic Challenge Crates**

* We were getting a lot of feedback that players didn’t understand what the periodic challenges were unlocking.
* We added a new animation to better explain that Periodic Challenges give out Silver Keys.

**Supernova Clarity Change**

* Wraith no longer glows bright white during Supernova.
* She will only use the Supernova style attack animation while inside the Supernova bubble.

**New Monster Perks: The Grounder Series**

* All perks apply on melee attacks from Monsters.
* (Tier 1) Leg Breaker: 5|7.5|10 dps ; -0.6|-0.7|-0.8 Jump mod
* (Tier 2) Fly Swatter: 10|12.5|15 dps ; (-30%, -40%, - 50%) Jp Strength efficiency
* (Tier 3) Grounder: 20|23|26 dps ; -25 % |-30% | -35% JP Thrust reduction

## Balance Changes

**Hunt Timer Changes**

* Sudden death time increased to 5 minutes from 4
* Sudden death timer now displays when 5 minutes are left before the round ends
* Dome disable time after a hunter gets downed increased to 15 seconds from 10

**Monster Changes**

**All Monsters**

* Reduced the amount monsters are slowed down while using melee attacks to 35% from 47%

**Slot 1 Perks (Minor)**

* Enhanced Senses smell range increased to 50% from 30%
* Brawler climb speed increased to 18% from 12%
* Brawler traversal regen 6% from 5%
* Fast Climber climb speed increased to 30% from 20%
* Fast Climber climb speed increased to 30% from 20%
* Fast Climber traversal regen increased to 8% from 6%

**Slot 2 Perks (Major)**

* Mutated Senses smell range increased to 70% from 50%
* Speed Climber
* Climb speed increased to 45% from 35%
* Traversal recharge speed increased to 10% from 9%
* Mutated Recovery cooldown reduction increased to 15% from 12%
* Mutated Haste movement speed increased to 17% from 15%
* Endurance traversal regen increased to 17% from 14%

**Slot 3 Perks (Superior)**

* Deadly Brawler
* traversal regen increased to 10% from 8%
* Damage reduction increased to 9% from 8%
* Evolved Recovery
* Cooldown reduction increased to 20% from 17%
* Evolved Haste movement speed increased to 23% from 20%
* Unending Endurance traversal regen increased to 20% from 17%

**Goliath**

* Traversal recharge time decreased to 17 seconds from 18
* Flame Breath direct damage increased to 66|66|72 from 60|60|66

**Meteor Goliath**

* Traversal recharge time decreased to 17.5 seconds from 182
* Fixed a bug where Meteor’s traversal recharge time was longer at stage 2 and 3

**Kraken**

* Banshee Mines launch speed increased to 50 from 60
* Banshee Mines homing speed increased to 50|55|60 from 45|50|55
* Reduced stamina recharge delay to 0 seconds from .25
* In air melee attacks (snowballs) now apply on-hit melee perks (Grounder/Poison)

**Behemoth**

* Reduced stamina recharge delay to 0 seconds from 1

**Gorgon**

* Reduced stamina recharge delay to 0 seconds from .25

**Hunter Changes**

**All**

* Spore Reveal time 1.5 from 2

**Perk Changes**

* Reloader reload speed reduced to 8%|10%|12% from 10%|11%|12.5%
* Speedloader reload speed reduced to 10%|14%|18% from 10%|15%|20%

**Assault**

* Defense Matrix damage reduction to 65% from 75%

**Markov**

* Lightning Gun range increased to 27 from 24.75

**Torvald**

* Mortar Cannon spread reduced to 3 from 5
* Mortar Cannon min explosion radius increased to 5 from 3
* Mortar priming distance decreased to 8 from 10

**Parnell**

* Shotgun damage per pellet reduced to 10 from 11

**Griffin**

* Harpoon Gun reload time increased to 4 seconds from 3.75
* LOS breaktime reduced to .5 seconds from 1

**Jack**

* Repulsor reload time increased to 5 seconds from 4

**Cabot**

* Self Shield Burst amount reduced to 625 from 700
* Damage Amp capacity reduced to 350 from 385

**Sunny**

* Drone Cooldown increased to 6 from 1
* Shield Burst amount reduced to 500 from 600

**Hank**

* Self Shield Burst amount reduced to 625 from 700
* Increased decay rate to 35 from 25

**Tech Sgt Hank**

* Projection shield apply rate reduced to 50 per second from 56
* Shield Burst cooldown increased to 26 from 25

**Lazarus**

* While Cloak is active Laz heals 40 health per second
* Silenced Sniper Rifle marker multiplier reduced to 1.15 from 1.25

**Val**

* Marker damage multiplier reduced to 1.35 from 1.45

**Rogue Val**

* Healing aura healing per second reduced to 35 from 37
* Chain Medgun primary target healing per second reduced to 70 from 80
* Poison Dart damage per second reduced to 19 from 20.9
* Sniper Rifle damage reduced to 59 from 62.3

## Bug Fixes

* Fixed issues with rain puddle shaders were not being properly displayed on Orbital Drill.
* Fixed Kraken air attacks (snowballs) not applying melee on hit effect perks, like venom and movement slow.
* Fixed an issue where Tech Sgt Hank could overcharge his Shield on Hunters using his Shield Burst.
* Fixed occluder issues in certain areas on Orbital Drill.
* Fixed various performance drops in certain areas of Distillery.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Some highlights:

Players now lose their win streak if they leave after getting into character select.

Lol at anyone who backs out of matchmaking now haha.

As soon as a Hunter gets incapped, the dropship timer begins counting down.

This is actually a HUGE buff for hunters.

Suicide to spawn on dropship has been removed, it is now automated.

No more yelling "KILL YOURSELF" to get on the drop ship.

Wraith no longer glows bright white during Supernova.

The decoy will be much easier to spot now when supernova is active.

A bunch of monster perk buffs

Welp another monster buff patch.

Bunch of hunter nerfs

Ouch this patch is hitting hard.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 26, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Knifegrab posted:

Every bar of health is 1000 health on the monster, I do believe, I could be wrong of course.
Looking at the values on the wiki it's not very consistent. Goliath has 1400 per bar at stage 1, 1625 per bar at stage 2 and 1800 per bar at stage 3, with similar inconsistencies for other monsters.

quote:

Wraith no longer glows bright white during Supernova.
RIP Wraith the floodlight

Knifegrab posted:

Lol at anyone who backs out of matchmaking now haha.
Really? I can't think of a softer punishment for leaving during match setup.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

Looking at the values on the wiki it's not very consistent. Goliath has 1400 per bar at stage 1, 1625 per bar at stage 2 and 1800 per bar at stage 3, with similar inconsistencies for other monsters.

RIP Wraith the floodlight

Really? I can't think of a softer punishment for leaving during match setup.

A lot of people who leave do so because they don't want their sweet streak to be hosed up. I'm sure people will still leave but it brings me glee.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'll take your word for it, I guess. Would be nice if fewer people left now. I really hope you only get penalized if you're the first person to leave, though. Imagine if you cared about your streak and had to suffer through Bucket Bot to have any chance of keeping it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The dropship suicide respawn change is good. It didn't really make sense that killing yourself is the correct option sometimes, forget about trying to convince your random teammates.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thinking about it more though the dropship time could be seriously exploited by the monster. The dropship time now starts immediately when someone is incapped.

So the monster could incap a player, then hide while the team gets him up, and then wait for the dropship timer to expire.

Then he can attack and incap someone and push the timer back to the longer time.

Rinse and repeat, no one needs to die but the timer is going to end up being very very long very quickly even if no one fully dies.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If the monster can consistently incapacitate a single player then get away, I'd say they deserve the benefit. I'll support any changes that break up the "run until level 3" monster strategy that most people go with.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

If the monster can consistently incapacitate a single player then get away, I'd say they deserve the benefit. I'll support any changes that break up the "run until level 3" monster strategy that most people go with.

But downing a hunter isn't that hard to do. Killing a hunter is much more difficult.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Suicide to spawn on dropship has been removed, it is now automated.

No more yelling "KILL YOURSELF" to get on the drop ship.

However, note that this system doesn't work with EMET's respawn beacon. I'd assume that's an unintentional oversight, but it seems like a pretty big nerf.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Androc posted:

However, note that this system doesn't work with EMET's respawn beacon. I'd assume that's an unintentional oversight, but it seems like a pretty big nerf.

Yeah emet and lazarus are actually pretty seriously hosed over by this change.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

As pro-nerf as I am towards hunter, anything that makes emet less playable is a sin.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Still waiting on the match making change where groups won't lose one of their members to monster duty when thru queue together.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

drat this harpoon change and reloader perk nerfs :/ you are out of action so long if you miss a poon already

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The current free rotation is pretty unfortunate. Firstly, Lazarus and Bucket have no continual damage mitigation, then consider that this week's free monster is Wraith. :stare:

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 27, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sunny is BAE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yowzer this patch is bad.

Yeah this patch shifted things so unbelievably in monster's favor.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 27, 2016

• Locked thread