Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Joementum posted:

Poster for a Steve Lonegan rally.

I like how Lonegan is getting second billing for his own rally. Who'd have thought a forgone New Jersey senate race would end up being so entertaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TheGreyGhost posted:

Why does he look like slightly less disfigured Mason Verger in his own campaign poster?

It's absolutely hilarious that's the most flattering photo they could find.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I was disappointed Jeff Boss hadn't run for the Senate special election this year. At least he's still running for governor.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Why does he look like slightly less disfigured Mason Verger in his own campaign poster?

I think the more hilarious detail is that he isn't front and centre in that poster...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Well, I got an e-mail from the DNC a few days ago containing this image, so they apparently at least have some idea where they need to be focusing their efforts:

Although I think the subject was the most entertaining part to me:

(Also hoping that the competitive district in Colorado is mine, represented by Cory Gardner (R-CO4) :pray: but I doubt it)

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Joementum posted:

"The Great One"

:laffo:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
The party tech savvy enough to use a Unicode strikethrough generator in their emails will always get my vote.

Meanwhile the GOP will try to copy their tactics but just put HTML tags in the message subject and wonder why it doesn't work.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Flobbster posted:

The party tech savvy enough to use a Unicode strikethrough generator in their emails will always get my vote.

Meanwhile the GOP will try to copy their tactics but just put HTML tags in the message subject and wonder why it doesn't work.

<Marquee>Obama falls in polls! No issues with glorious GOP approval rating! Donate now!</marquee>

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's been a great year for tri-state area campaign media statements, hasn't it?

quote:

In a profanity-filled assessment of the race delivered via phone Thursday, Rick Shaftan, a senior staffer and key strategist on Lonegan's campaign, suggested voters would be turned off by Booker's "odd" behavior including Twitter messages the Democrat sent to a stripper, that Shaftan described as "strange" and "like what a gay guy would say."

"It was just weird. I mean, to me, you know, hey, if he said, 'Hey, you got really hot breasts man, I'd love to suck on them.' Then like, yeah, cool. But like, he didn't say that," Shaftan explained. "It was like kind of like, I don't know, it was like what a gay guy would say to a stripper. It's the way he was talking to her. It's just like like there was no sexual interest at all. I don't know. To me, if I was single and you know like some stripper was tweeting me, I might take advantage of the perks of the office, you know?"

In case you're wondering, "Did he stop there?" He did not. :allears:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

VirtualStranger posted:

"The Great One"

:laffo:

Have you never heard that stuff before? All of the talk radio hosts have pet nicknames like that for each other. It's really really funny. You can hear Hannity for example waste a minute of airtime going back and forth with Levin about how no, YOU are a great american and just trying to up the ante. Its amazing.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Ramadu posted:

Have you never heard that stuff before? All of the talk radio hosts have pet nicknames like that for each other. It's really really funny. You can hear Hannity for example waste a minute of airtime going back and forth with Levin about how no, YOU are a great american and just trying to up the ante. Its amazing.

The funniest part is that they do this while taking Obama to task for being a narcissist because Oprah called him "The one."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Oh holy Christ has he been shitcanned yet?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

quote:

Hey, you got really hot breasts man, I'd love to suck on them.

Wait, and Booker sounds gay?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ron Paul endorses Ken Cuccinelli while Robert Sarvis rather pathetically mentions that he's still got Gary Johnson on his side.

Who will Judge Gray endorse? The people of Virginia need to know before they cast their ballots!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

This is truly amazing. He shoves his foot and his mouth and just keeps stuffing until he gets his whole leg in. It's like some kind of circus act of gaffes.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Joementum posted:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"
Oh holy Christ has he been shitcanned yet?
Yup, they fired him.

From his twitter/facebook

"I apologize to Steve Lonegan and his supporters if any statements I have made have hurt his candidacy and do not want these comments or my presence in this campaign to serve as a distraction to his efforts to win this election and save our nation from the radical left-wing policies of Barack Obama and Cory Booker."

"On or off the record, my comments were inexcusable and unprofessional."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Joementum posted:

Going overlooked is the fact that "Rick Shaftan" is a pretty funny name, when you think about it.

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nope, still very likely to keep the house and have a good shot at the Senate. WV, AR, MT, and SD are all extremely likely to certain GOP pickups. They also have a very good shot at Alaska.

The Dem's best pickup opportunity is to hope that Susan Collins has a stroke in the next 5 months.

Montana is possibly slightly lean R, but I'd wait for polling before you say its in the same category that WV or AR is.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

quote:

"Gary Hart was like on his way to the nomination and then you see this picture on the front of the National Enquirer. It's like, holy poo poo what a loving idiot. ... Like what are you thinking? ... I've worked with people who like to have friends, girlfriends and poo poo, but they'll never get photographed with them, you know? It's like, they're very discreet and professional, you know? You kind of know, but it's not like sit on my lap, let me eat your pussy while you're sitting here," Shaftan said.

:stare:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Too bad Colbert is on vacation, because I think we just found his next Alpha Dog of the Week.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan gubernatorial candidate Mark Schauer has a new website counting the days since Rick Snyder promised to disclose the secret donors of his NERD fund. On Wednesday under oath Snyder testified he has no idea who those donors are.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/10/michigan_gov_rick_snyder_under.html

MLive posted:

LANSING, MI -- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, questioned under oath during a deposition on Detroit's bankruptcy, said he does not know who is donating to a nonprofit fund that has been paying the salary of a top adviser and living and travel expenses for Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr.

Sharon Levine, a New York bankruptcy attorney representing the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, questioned the governor for more than three hours on Wednesday, asking him various questions about the historic bankruptcy filing and the steps that led up to it

At one point, according to a draft transcript obtained by MLive, Levine asked Snyder a series of questions about the New Energy to Reinvest and Diversify (NERD) fund, set up to help him "lessen the burdens of government" shortly after he took office in 2011.

The governor's lead counsel, Assistant Attorney General Margaret Nelson, originally objected to the line of questioning, but Snyder eventually agreed to answer "in the spirit of cooperation" and in order to move the proceedings along.

"Yeah, with respect to your questions as to who the donors were and that category of questioning, my answer would be I don't know," Snyder said, according to the transcript. "There's an independent board that does that work.

"With respect to the question of expenses, Kevyn Orr's agreement is such that some of his expenses can be reimbursed by the NERD fund because it was created to offset the burdens of government and does similar things such as press auditorium upgrades, help with expenses for travel."

Levine proceeded to ask Snyder whether the NERD fund contributed to campaigns for or against Public Act 4, Michigan's previous emergency manager law that voters chose to repeal in November of 2012. His response, in both instances: "I don't know." (He's lying, of course.)

Snyder agreed to sit for the deposition with union attorneys, who are challenging Detroit's eligibility for bankruptcy by questioning whether the city properly negotiated with unions and creditors before the filing.

The Republican governor has repeatedly pointed out that the NERD fund is operating in compliance with all campaign finance laws. As a 501(c)4 "social welfare" organization, the fund is not obligated to report donors. However, Snyder has publicly indicated the possibility of sharing names moving forward.

Democrats and government watchdog groups have criticized the NERD fund and called for additional transparency from the Snyder administration.

Those criticisms continued Thursday, when Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Mark Schauer launched "SecretiveSnyder.com." The website features a running clock indicating that it has been 66 days since Snyder first said he would consider disclosing donors and a petition calling on him to do so.

"It seems extremely disingenuous to say he doesn't know who's donating," said Zack Pohl, a spokesman for the Schauer campaign. "You don't just raise $2 million by accident. This only raises more questions than answers. If it's true that he doesn't know who's donating, then what's the big deal? Why not disclose all the donors immediately and clear the air?"

Snyder's office confirmed last month that the NERD fund is paying for Orr's weekly lodging in Detroit and commuting expenses to and from Maryland, where his family lives.

The fund also pays the $100,000 salary of "transformation manager" Rich Baird, who works in the governor's office and has helped interview candidates for several state jobs, including the Detroit emergency manager.

Snyder, during his testimony Wednesday, said that he, Baird, Treasurer Andy Dillon and Detroit Mayor Dave Bing began interviews before a state review team concluded its work "as a contingency plan in case that was the outcome of the review and the hearing process."

Baird and Dillon were both scheduled to testify on Thursday.

"The governor and I believe it is important to take part in this process and to respond to questions related to Detroit's Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing," Dillon said in a released statement after completing his deposition. "This will help ensure resolution of the issue as quickly and efficiently as possible, which the residents of Detroit need, expect and deserve.

"The administration has been clear from the outset; the decision to seek bankruptcy protection was not an easy one but was determined to be the only remaining way to address Detroit's long-running financial crisis and ensure a viable, successful future for the city, its residents and businesses."

Just gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling we have a guy in Lansing who has no clue who's doing what. Meanwhile, Andy Dillon resigned this week because he's going through a messy divorce that has become public recently.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Probably not a great sign for Lonegan that even the unskewed polls guy thinks Booker will win.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Probably not a great sign for Lonegan that even the unskewed polls guy thinks Booker will win.

A Democrat forecasted to win an election? This looks like a job for... no, wait, sorry guys, you can all just go home.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Back to retiring Bill Young news: Alex Sink says she's considering jumping in the race and will make a decision in the next few weeks. Sink lost to Rick Scott in 2010. I'm not sure how I feel about this prospect. :geno:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't Sink your standard moderate Democrat? She did only lose by less than 100K to the Republican in 2010, even if that Republican was Rick Scott.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gyges posted:

Isn't Sink your standard moderate Democrat? She did only lose by less than 100K to the Republican in 2010, even if that Republican was Rick Scott.

Pretty much. She kinda cheated a bit in a debate with Scott, which may have costed her the difference. As far as the Florida Dem bench goes she's actually not terrible, though that's a very relative statement.

Depending on the district makeup she could have a very decent shot at taking it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think I figured out why the Cooch is tanking in VA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxHytvYS6MA

I swear you guys I never said women who use birth control are Satan-possessed harlots who should be burned at the stake!

e: It's ridiculous I'm watching SNL on a southeastern VA station and every political ad revolves around candidate x saying they're in favor/denying they're in favor of banning contraception.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 13, 2013

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

That election was over the minute Chris Christie decided to call it ahead of the gubernatorial election. Booker's a popular mayor in a blue state with establishment Dem connections/endorsements and Wall Street money, and Lonegan's got to compete with Chris Christie's star power on the Republican side for fundraising and volunteering. If I was a Republican volunteer or donor, I'd be a lot more inclined to give to sitting/future Governor (and obvious 2016 candidate) Chris Christie than a long-shot Senate candidate who'd probably get knocked off 12 months later anyhow.

And the whole "ooh, the race has tightened" thing is crap. There's no way Booker in a off-year non-November special election was going to actually double Barack Obama's 17-point 2012 margin. The poll numbers were always going to come back down to earth from the whole "up by 35 points" thing.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Stormagetiton posted:

That election was over the minute Chris Christie decided to call it ahead of the gubernatorial election. Booker's a popular mayor in a blue state with establishment Dem connections/endorsements and Wall Street money, and Lonegan's got to compete with Chris Christie's star power on the Republican side for fundraising and volunteering. If I was a Republican volunteer or donor, I'd be a lot more inclined to give to sitting/future Governor (and obvious 2016 candidate) Chris Christie than a long-shot Senate candidate who'd probably get knocked off 12 months later anyhow.

And the whole "ooh, the race has tightened" thing is crap. There's no way Booker in a off-year non-November special election was going to actually double Barack Obama's 17-point 2012 margin. The poll numbers were always going to come back down to earth from the whole "up by 35 points" thing.

Booker was going to win regardless of whether the election was held in October or on regular election day. That said, given that he's running against Steve Lonegan, winning by less anything less than 20 points is not impressive.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So any opinions about the the latest NYT article on the GOP's "dimming" chances? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/us/politics/gops-hopes-to-take-senate-are-dimming.html?hp&gwh=CA149B0F3ACB2B92C2B07BAB81535A11

The basis of support for the article seems be the latest cook project which puts AR, AK, KY (R), GA (R) LA and NC as tossups? And, WV, ND and MT as lean Republican? During 2012, they seem to in reality have a slight lean to the GOP (at least some of their tossups turned out to be lean dem).

All things considered it looks like the Democrats might very retain the Senate and maybe lose 1-3 house seats, which puts emphasis on 2016 and the question if there will be a financial crash before then.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 13, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did anyone try to link Lonegan and Christie over the "nice tits" scandal or whatever or is he going to not get tarred by that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

Did anyone try to link Lonegan and Christie over the "nice tits" scandal or whatever or is he going to not get tarred by that.
From my experiences living in New Jersey, Christie is pretty much bulletproof.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Lawman 0 posted:

Lonegan and Christie actively despise each other. Christie is probably voting for Booker on Wednesday and everyone knows that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lawman 0 posted:

Christie won't lose here unless we get a supremely amazing D candidate, or Christie is found consuming the souls of small children on the side of his otherwise large dinners.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Waterbed posted:

Christie won't lose here unless we get a supremely amazing D candidate, or Christie is found consuming the souls of small children on the side of his otherwise large dinners.

Christie is already an amazing double-D candidate. :v: Just bringing the Christie, Lonegan, and titties thing full circle.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

dilbertschalter posted:

Booker was going to win regardless of whether the election was held in October or on regular election day. That said, given that he's running against Steve Lonegan, winning by less anything less than 20 points is not impressive.

Right, everybody understood that Booker would destroy whomever the Republicans fielded no matter when the election was. The whole idea behind the early election was to keep Booker's coattails from impacting any other Republicans Chris Christie. I happen to think this was kind of a dumb move, because nobody is likely to beat Christie anyway, but when you've got your eye on the white house you really want to avoid an unexpected loss.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are New York Republicans really this desperate? Report: New York Republicans Eyeing Trump Run For Governor

quote:

The Post reported on Monday that the effort is backed by state GOP Chairman Ed Cox, and that Republicans have been circulating a three-page memo detailing how Trump could beat Cuomo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A three page memo essentially means they put in a bunch of unrealistic crap with no thought and charged Trump 10 grand to write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Lonegan and Christie actively despise each other. Christie is probably voting for Booker on Wednesday and everyone knows that.

Chris Christie is literally a personification of New Jersey itself.

• Locked thread