Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Congratulations to Uruguay, who have just qualified for the 2015 Rugby World Cup, where they will join Australia, England, Wales and Fiji in the upcoming tournament's Pool of Death. Hopefully, they'll do a Costa Rica and end up qualifying first over more fancied opponents for maximum hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

It was scary at the time, the whole medical team sprinted on and I'm glad to hear he's okay.

Du Preez's ankle however is a different matter, his foot was pointing in the total wrong direction so I assume Edinburgh's only good player is out for a while.

Brilliant performance from Ulster tonight, after a loss in Italy and a limp wristed romp over Edinburgh we managed to turn over the league leaders at home. Neil Doagh's first match in charge worked out well enough.

V V that sort of thing makes me so, so happy. Score the try you showboating little bitch.

Ulster looked far better in the breakdown and didn't let Glasgow play their quick ball at all, totally deserved the win today because Glasgow didn't adjust. A pity because Glasgow can play some really nice rugby and up until today, looked the best team in the league.

Without Du Preez (for the season at least), Edinburgh are in a bit of trouble though they managed to put away the Dragons today, even with Tim Visser doing the most #ScottishRugby thing ever with his knock on. It's frustrating as hell watching Edinburgh, knowing that they have genuinely good players like Tim Visser and Dougie Fife only to fall apart because WP Nel has gotten sent off or Ross Ford can't hook or throw straight to save himself.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So according to Growden, the ARU may become insolvent in the near future. He's claimed that several high ranking sources have stated there was a presentation at a general meeting a few months ago detailing how the coffers were running dry.

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/243671.html

Greg Growden posted:

Tensions set to boil over at the ARU

The Wallabies are relieved that Di Patston has resigned from the Australian Rugby Union, but coach Ewen McKenzie still has a long way to go to regain the faith of the Australian Test playing group.

If McKenzie fails, he could shortly be replaced by Waratahs coach Michael Cheika- even as early as the end-of-season European tour.

Over the past 12 months, Patston, the Wallabies team business manager, alienated numerous Australian players. They were astounded that in a short period of time and with little rugby background Patston had become such an influential but divisive powerbroker.

In recent months, ESPNscrum was told that several Wallabies players had complained about the 'poisonous' atmosphere during team training camps, to the extent that 'several big names' had lost the urge of wanting to be part of the Australian Test scene.

ESPNscrum has in the past week been informed by Wallabies team sources of concerns within the playing group that some of their private emails may have been improperly accessed. They had also been confronted by the threat of being dropped from the Test lineup if they did not openly swear their allegiance to the team management.

Team sources confirmed that Wallaby team harmony began to collapse even before the Dublin drinking affair on the team end-of-season tour of Europe late last year. Earlier in that tour, players were told by team officials that they had to be either 'with us or against us, and if you're against us, you won't be picked.'

The players were then troubled by Patston's increasing influence in the Wallabies preparation for Test matches, and her involvement in team discipline. Several said they were 'scared' of Patston, while even ARU staff members at the St Leonards headquarters have been concerned for some time about 'potential witch-hunts.'

Some players remain wary of McKenzie, and it will take an enormous amount of work by the Test coach to get everyone in the squad back on side before they confront the All Blacks in Brisbane on Saturday night.

As one official with very strong links to the players said over the weekend: ''McKenzie lost the players a long time ago."

This has prompted increased interest at the ARU towards Cheika, the successful Waratahs coach, taking over the Wallabies. It is believed an approach from an ARU official may have occurred over the weekend.

However it is understood that Cheika, who has been 'sounded out' by the ARU before, has reservations about the Wallabies position, and is unlikely to consider it until there are dramatic changes within the ARU hierarchy. ESPNscrum has been told that Cheika is 'underwhelmed' with several ARU officials.

McKenzie currently boasts the lowest success rate (52% from 11 wins out of 21 Tests) of any Australian coach in the professional era. He has yet to win a Test against the All Blacks, and has had only one success out of four against the Springboks.

While Kurtley Beale's alleged derogatory text message, which was accidentally sent to Patston, is near impossible to defend, the Test midfielder still has the support of numerous team-mates, who are concerned he could be made the ultimate scapegoat. This comes just a year after ARU chief executive Bill Pulver described Beale as a 'national treasure.'

The relationship between Wallabies and numerous major ARU officials is also uneasy. Test players do not like officials who ingratiate themselves with the team. Several members of the ARU board have been accused by the players of being 'blatant jersey tuggers.' There have even been calls to one ARU board member for one of his colleagues, nicknamed by the players as 'The Fan' not to be allowed in the Wallabies dressing room. Another notable ARU board member has been described by Wallabies as 'MIA' for 'missing in action.'

It is known that numerous Test players are as guarded about Pulver, as they have been of team management members. The public sighting of Pulver in the Wallabies gear has not helped his relationship with some team members, who believe the green and gold colours have to be properly earnt.

The ARU's cost-cutting measures, due to the national body's serious financial woes, has also affected the playing group, with the Wallabies not having a proper team manager in recent times causing enormous problems, including luggage disappearing during their last trip from South Africa to Argentina.

Players have even questioned the value of spending the Test half-time break sitting in the middle of the field, rather than heading to the dressing rooms, like every other major team. They argue that it limits what a team can do during the break, and that oppositions can easily see whether any players has niggling injuries, by just observing who is being treated by the medical staff on the field.

Even those watching the live telecast of the Wallabies last Test could see Michael Hooper receiving attention for either a shoulder or neck injury during half-time against Argentina in Mendoza. If any Pumas staff members were watching this, they could then inform their players to target Hooper in the upper body region because he may be vulnerable.

Also causing concern is a division within the playing ranks, with one notable forward for some time being privately critical of the leadership of the team's young captain-Hooper. Hooper has the support of the bulk of the players.

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/243977.html

He's also written a fairly damning article about how the Wallabies team environment has become appallingly toxic, and something like the current crisis enveloping the team was probably merely a matter of "when" rather than "if."

Dumpin McKenzie for Cheika isn't going to do anything, unless there's a serious clear-out and restructure of the entire set-up. In hindsight, Deans' record with the Wallabies doesn't look particularly bad, and it's quite telling that Cheika isn't even particularly interested in coaching the Wallabies. Compare that to what Deans said the other day about the prospect of coaching the All Blacks.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 12, 2014

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Robbie Deans got the Wallabies to second in the IRB rankings, with consistent wins over the Springboks and like 4 over NZ.

McKenzie's assignment was full of talk after a couple good season with the Reds, and has ultimately taken the team backwards despite new good players in the Australian camp.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Rugby in Australia's pretty much hosed long term. The grassroots/junior level development is light years behind what the AFL and FFA are managing in their codes, so it's only going to get worse.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Robbie Deans got the Wallabies to second in the IRB rankings, with consistent wins over the Springboks and like 4 over NZ.

McKenzie's assignment was full of talk after a couple good season with the Reds, and has ultimately taken the team backwards despite new good players in the Australian camp.

Yeah, each game under McKenzie is providing compelling evidence that Deans took a bunch of self-centred knuckleheads and got them punching above their weight regularly.

The text messages that Beale sent have also ended up in the press.

quote:

An ARU letter sent to Beale on Wednesday details two messages containing photographs of “extremely obese women”, one with a reference to “Di — who wants a go f...... this?

It also emerged Patston was in possession of the offensive texts because Beale accidentally copied them to her when sending them to other Wallaby teammates.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...2-1227087596957

The stupid gently caress doesn't even have the courtesy to send a text that is grammatically correct.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Mr Chips posted:

Rugby in Australia's pretty much hosed long term. The grassroots/junior level development is light years behind what the AFL and FFA are managing in their codes, so it's only going to get worse.

The NRC is a step in the right direction to developing a feeder system akin to the Curry Cup or ITM Cup

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
It does seem strange that a business manager should have any sort of dealings with players, and if the coffers are indeed running dry at the ARU then maybe the two problems are linked. Why is a business manager even talking to players? I mean Beale is obviously an arsehole and he should obviously be punished, but who at the ARU thought it would be a good idea to have a business manager handling a bunch of man-baby professional athletes?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vagabundo posted:

Congratulations to Uruguay, who have just qualified for the 2015 Rugby World Cup, where they will join Australia, England, Wales and Fiji in the upcoming tournament's Pool of Death. Hopefully, they'll do a Costa Rica and end up qualifying first over more fancied opponents for maximum hilarity.

Costa Rica?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
At the football world cup last year they topped a group with Uruguay, England and Italy they were expected to be distant last in.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh yeah, I thought you were talking about rugby, I wonder why I made that mistake??

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Kurtofan posted:

Oh yeah, I thought you were talking about rugby, I wonder why I made that mistake??

Yeah, you're right, we could only wish for that sort of unpredictability, excitement and pure sporting joy in a Rugby World Cup.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Yeah, you're right, we could only wish for that sort of unpredictability, excitement and pure sporting joy in a Rugby World Cup.

gently caress that, I would rather watch a recorded rugby match of which I know the outcome in advance than watch a FIFA World Cup final live.

Seriously, soccer is terrible and half the matches are fixed anyway.

Oh and in other news, Toulouse finally played like Toulouse and got a solid home win against the Yankees Toulon. It was an exciting and interesting game, though the defense on both teams was too competent to let in what would otherwise have been some awesome tries. But 21-10, I'll take it.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 13, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It does seem strange that a business manager should have any sort of dealings with players, and if the coffers are indeed running dry at the ARU then maybe the two problems are linked. Why is a business manager even talking to players? I mean Beale is obviously an arsehole and he should obviously be punished, but who at the ARU thought it would be a good idea to have a business manager handling a bunch of man-baby professional athletes?

It strikes me as a case of there being so many problems of such magnitude that no one knows where to start fixing things. The playing culture appears to be seriously broken, and a Louis Luyt-esque approach of "gently caress all y'all, I'll have the coaches field C-grade provincial players as the national side if it means you cunts aren't getting those jerseys" from up top is necessary.

My assumption was that Patston's role was being expanded into a role akin to Darren Shand in the All Blacks, where while he's not part of the coaching structure, he is a necessary component to running the team and is basically the gets-poo poo-done guy in the team set-up, and Beale acted like an apparent sexist dickhead would in that kind of situation. That the players are basically leaping to his defence and saying "oh he's done nothing wrong" is not a good look for them, to be honest.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

It strikes me as a case of there being so many problems of such magnitude that no one knows where to start fixing things. The playing culture appears to be seriously broken, and a Louis Luyt-esque approach of "gently caress all y'all, I'll have the coaches field C-grade provincial players as the national side if it means you cunts aren't getting those jerseys" from up top is necessary.

My assumption was that Patston's role was being expanded into a role akin to Darren Shand in the All Blacks, where while he's not part of the coaching structure, he is a necessary component to running the team and is basically the gets-poo poo-done guy in the team set-up, and Beale acted like an apparent sexist dickhead would in that kind of situation. That the players are basically leaping to his defence and saying "oh he's done nothing wrong" is not a good look for them, to be honest.

I don't think the majority of the players are cunts, though a few definitely are. Kurtley Beale is obviously one of them and is in general an immature and very troubled man. If the texts as published are true, he should have been sacked back then. Bringing it up now just muddles the issue and was a big mistake by the ARU (and don't tell me they didn't know about it).

Hooper's response, in protecting Beale, belays the big problem and that is a distinct lack of leadership in the group. I think Hooper is a decent enough guy, as far as these things can be judged from afar, but he's 23 and he's the (at least nominal) leader of the team. He just doesn't get what an awful thing Beale did to her, because he probably thinks it's a harmless prank and his understanding hasn't evolved enough. At 23, I don't think I would have understood it either. But this is the kind of leadership the Ws have right now.

The talent drain from Australia into Europe is clearly not just affecting the available playing talent, but, perhaps more importantly, the available leadership talent and that is my big worry. Adam Ashley Cooper, for example, has stated he will go to Europe after the WC, and he's the Vice Captain. I can't imagine that many of the senior players with any semblance of ability will be able to turn down their own opportunities. Time will tell if the ABs were lucky to have retained their senior players or if there was more skill involved by the administration. After all, even though Rugby is bigger in NZ than in Australia, I can't see it changing the financial imbalance between the markets in the NH and SH that much.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, each game under McKenzie is providing compelling evidence that Deans took a bunch of self-centred knuckleheads and got them punching above their weight regularly.

To be fair, Deans was mostly up against Peter De Villier's Boks, and in the year they won the Tri Nations NZ were resting key players ahead of the World Cup. And Deans couldn't handle Beale, O'Connor and Cooper either except for that brief period before they became the biggest names in Australian rugby and started kicking up a fuss.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes, but on the other hand, I get to watch my USA Eagles play the ABs next month.

Talk about national sides being an embarrassment to your country...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

I don't think the majority of the players are cunts, though a few definitely are. Kurtley Beale is obviously one of them and is in general an immature and very troubled man. If the texts as published are true, he should have been sacked back then. Bringing it up now just muddles the issue and was a big mistake by the ARU (and don't tell me they didn't know about it).

Oh absolutely, but the players that are now leaping to Beale's defence should be given the hard word, and McKenzie should be prepared to basically axe cancers like Beale, regardless of how talented they may be on the pitch.

It comes back to a culture thing, and how Graham Henry took apart what he saw as a toxic culture in the All Blacks when he came in should be a textbook case for McKenzie to study. One of the key things he did was remove three players that he saw central to the toxic culture, despite 2 of them being first choice selections in his early 2004 squad, dropping them for the Autumn International tour. And as much as the text messages coming out now muddles the issue, it also makes it abundantly clear that McKenzie has been aware of what is obviously a toxic culture within the Wallabies, and if he sat on something that would be a sackable offence in any other environment, rugby or otherwise, indicates that he has at the very least enabled it, if not been complicit in it.

Unimpressed posted:

Hooper's response, in protecting Beale, belays the big problem and that is a distinct lack of leadership in the group. I think Hooper is a decent enough guy, as far as these things can be judged from afar, but he's 23 and he's the (at least nominal) leader of the team. He just doesn't get what an awful thing Beale did to her, because he probably thinks it's a harmless prank and his understanding hasn't evolved enough. At 23, I don't think I would have understood it either. But this is the kind of leadership the Ws have right now.

The talent drain from Australia into Europe is clearly not just affecting the available playing talent, but, perhaps more importantly, the available leadership talent and that is my big worry. Adam Ashley Cooper, for example, has stated he will go to Europe after the WC, and he's the Vice Captain. I can't imagine that many of the senior players with any semblance of ability will be able to turn down their own opportunities. Time will tell if the ABs were lucky to have retained their senior players or if there was more skill involved by the administration. After all, even though Rugby is bigger in NZ than in Australia, I can't see it changing the financial imbalance between the markets in the NH and SH that much.

I think the captaincy issue is that Hooper simply doesn't have the authority to be a captain, but I'm not entirely sure who should be. Matt Hodgson, maybe? It was noticeable that Hooper was clearly unable to communicate with his squad, and I think it was against Argentina where when the referee told him to talk to his team after persistent infringing, he was heard basically saying "I've tried to."

The other problem for Australia is pretty much exactly what you've identified. It's not just the front-line players leaving, but it's the players that would have constituted the depth and the middle-management players, that basically form part of the team leadership.

The ARU have tried to introduce similar tactics like the NZRU has, but I wonder if the damage has already been done. Part of what allows the NZRU to retain their players is that they have very healthy bank balances (all the provincial unions reported a profit this year, which is remarkable considering how close to insolvency some of them were like Otago, and the All Blacks have two of the biggest sponsorships in rugby in the form of the adidas and AIG contracts), and the ARU can't really afford that at the moment.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 14, 2014

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

The other problem for Australia is pretty much exactly what you've identified. It's not just the front-line players leaving, but it's the players that would have constituted the depth and the middle-management players, that basically form part of the team leadership.

The ARU have tried to introduce similar tactics like the NZRU has, but I wonder if the damage has already been done. Part of what allows the NZRU to retain their players is that they have very healthy bank balances (all the provincial unions reported a profit this year, which is remarkable considering how close to insolvency some of them were like Otago, and the All Blacks have two of the biggest sponsorships in rugby in the form of the adidas and AIG contracts), and the ARU can't really afford that at the moment.

Are the NZ teams (plus the AB top ups) able to pay their players competitive wages? If so, that would be a big difference between NZ and Australia. Does Kieran Read, for example, make as much, or close enough to as much, as he would be making in France? I always thought there wasn't that much of a difference between the wages here and in NZ, but that was just me extrapolating based on the size of the economies, not on any actual knowledge.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Are the NZ teams (plus the AB top ups) able to pay their players competitive wages? If so, that would be a big difference between NZ and Australia. Does Kieran Read, for example, make as much, or close enough to as much, as he would be making in France? I always thought there wasn't that much of a difference between the wages here and in NZ, but that was just me extrapolating based on the size of the economies, not on any actual knowledge.

The players don't get paid to the extent that they would make in France or Japan, but the players of McCaw, Carter or Read's status are paid a fairly decent amount to remain in New Zealand, especially now that the NZRU's bank balance is looking decidedly healthy. The sabbatical option gives them some flexibility in their contract that allows them to also pursue a high-paying temporary contract with Northern Hemisphere teams. They can also get third party sponsorships that supplements their income considerably.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Vagabundo posted:

...Graham Henry took apart what he saw as a toxic culture in the All Blacks when he came in should be a textbook case for McKenzie to study. One of the key things he did was remove three players that he saw central to the toxic culture, despite 2 of them being first choice selections in his early 2004 squad, dropping them for the Autumn International tour.

Any chance you could elaborate on this a little - or a link to an article or something if you have any, it's not something I've ever really been aware of but it'd be interesting to know more

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slothrop posted:

Any chance you could elaborate on this a little - or a link to an article or something if you have any, it's not something I've ever really been aware of but it'd be interesting to know more

It's discussed in Graham Henry's book, but basically when Henry was appointed coach, one of the first things that struck him was the fact that a large number of the younger players were unhappy to be selected, and that they preferred to play for their Super Rugby and provincial teams. The book then details the binge drinking culture that existed during and immediately after John Mitchell's departure. The last test of the 2004 Tri Nations was a loss to the Boks at Ellis Park where they got 40 put on them and Henry was apparently appalled to see Carlos Spencer, Justin Marshall and Andrew Mehrtens presiding over a "court" session, where they lead other senior members in the squad in forcing younger players to basically drink until they were out of it as so-called punishment for the loss. Having identified them as the ones perpetuating the booze culture, Henry pretty much dropped all three for the Autumn Internationals, and only Marshall would play for the All Blacks again in a limited capacity. He also introduced practices like putting aside time on tour to actually see the places they were visiting and a booze ban on tour except for designated, approved times. There have been incidents like Cruden's recent indiscretion, but they've been isolated incidents.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 14, 2014

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Wallabies are dead in the water at this point. I can't believe it but they actually managed to grind down all my hope and good will within the space of a season :smith:

at least there's always super rugby

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vagabundo posted:

Carlos Spencer, Justin Marshall and Andrew Mehrtens presiding over a "court" session...

Thanks, thats interesting. I was working at a pub in Mt Eden in 2003-04 and I remember the Blues squad coming in to do one of these things at the end of the season. They pretty much locked themselves on our outside balcony and proceeded to buy rounds of 24 beers. Spencer was one of the few who didn't get written off that day, even helped us clean up. I can see how that could be huge problem though, and it seems like it's made a huge difference getting rid of it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Former Wallaby Peter FitzSimons gets it right.

quote:

Wallabies, it's time to handle the truth

The Wallabies, we are told by skipper Michael Hooper, are to have a "truth session", where they will all get together in a closed room, bare their souls and try to clear the air over the whole Kurtley Beale saga. Guys, can I go first, as a kind of facilitator, to say a few things that I think need to be said? And can we have everyone who has been involved back in the room, please, just for this session?

Good, thanks.

First up is you, Ms Di Patston. You have our apologies. Through no fault of your own, you have been right in the centre of this whole mess. You have been harassed, treated unprofessionally and had your name dragged through the mud, all for something you didn't do. Not just the team, but the whole Australian rugby community is sorry for what you have been through, and wishes you well. We understand your desire to leave the room now and thank you for it, so hard truths can be spoken without fear of further hurting you. If you can just wait a few minutes, Bill Pulver himself will be ready to drive you to the airport.

Now to you, Kurtley Beale. Kurtley, I have to ask: what the F--- were you thinking, sending a text like that? Seriously, what on earth was going through your head? Mate, despite it all, there are some of us who hope you survive this, but you have only one hope to do so. Hold a news conference. Tell the truth. Say, "There are bad mistakes, there are shocking mistakes that sheer take your breath away for their stupidity and malice, and then there is me sending that text with that obscene image, followed by my public humiliation of Ms Patston on that flight. Listen, I am SORRY. I publicly ask her forgiveness and that of the rugby community. It won't happen again, and I have voluntarily signed up for a counselling course on treatment of women in the 21st century." Something like that. And mean it, OK, Kurtley? Probably best you see your way out now, too, so the rest of us can thrash this out. In fact, thinking on it, could you at least offer to drive Ms Patston to the airport? It just might help.

Michael Hooper. Mate, on one level your public support of Kurtley is understandable. You appear to think that while sending that text was a low dickhead act, it was not the act of a low dickhead. You believe him to be a good man who did a breathtakingly stupid thing, but his career in the Wallabies should not be finished because of it. We get that. But, as captain, where was your public support for Ms Patston, your regret that she had to go through this? And another question for you and other senior players: is there really a culture extant in the Wallabies where sending texts like that is OK? Did neither you nor any of senior players speak up and say, "We are Wallabies. We are honourable men. We don't belittle women. We don't send vicious texts like that, Kurtley, so pull your f—king head in, and don't EVER send anything like that again"? The great All Black Sir Brian Lochore once said, "Better men make better All Blacks," and we have to embrace the concept. Character counts. Your job as captain is to nurture it, insist on it, and proper treatment of others is a bare beginning.

Bill Pulver and the ARU Board. When the story broke of the altercation between Beale and Ms Patston on the flight from Argentina, the first thought of many familiar with the traditional Wallaby set-up was where the hell was the manager in all this? Imagine our amazement to find that at the time it happened, there was no manager, that since experienced hand Bobby Egerton resigned last year, no one had formally taken over the role! How could this be? At the first sign of the blue on the flight from Argentina, any manager worth his salt would have nipped it in the bud. But having no manager created a vacuum where carnage reigned, while disaster rode shotgun.

Ewen McKenzie. Ewen, for what it's worth, having talked to several people I trust who are au fait with the whole situation, I dinkum accept that you have not been having an affair with Ms Patston. Normally, who you put your head on the pillow with is no one's drat business, but it certainly is in a professional team environment, and if you had been you would have had to resign. So we can at least put that to rest. Against that however, this whole thing has happened on your watch. It is equally obvious that there are deep reservations in the Wallabies about Ms Patston's role. You cannot have been unaware of that angst? Why the hell didn't you move on it? And why such blurred lines of responsibility? I've read tens of thousands of words on this, and am still no clearer than the Wallabies themselves as to whether she was your PA, a half-manager to the team, a psychologist, a behavioural therapist? You introduced her to the inner sanctum of the team, you're the coach, and it was bloody well your job to make it crystal clear to everyone, including her, just where her job started and finished. But you didn't do it, and that is a big reason of why we are where we are: up poo poo Creek, looking for a paddle.

The rest of you. Start paddling. With your hands if you have to. We've cleared the air. All talk of it from now is going to be counter-productive. Focus on the game. Six weeks ago, you bastards were good enough to hold the World Champion All Blacks to a 12-12 draw. You still have as your nucleus players good enough to make the Waratahs the best provincial team in the world. You are capable of winning this match. So f---ing well get on with it. Get your boots. Training starts in 10 minutes. No whingeing, no whining, no muttering under your breath. FOCUS.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/wallabies-its-time-to-handle-the-truth-20141015-116flh.html

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Fitzsimons is almost always spot on, no exception this time.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah I've been reading his series on concussion (he's mainly referring to the NRL but it does apply to all modern sport really) and it's really good. I guess same kinda goes for Kerr-Barlow getting back up and playing after that horrific injury two weeks ago. It's heroic sure but the modern game should put player welfare first. Surely if your second half-back is injured you should be allowed to sub the first back on? What if it was a hooker/prop? What implications (potential injuries etc) do those positions have for having non-specialist players fill them in because the bench has already been used?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
There are still a couple of weird rules, which need to be worked out.

A few weeks ago, when Dan Biggar was put through a concussion test, we found out that his Blood Replacement isn't allowed to take any kicks towards goal.

It seems that if you happen to receive a potentially game-winning penalty while your kicker is receiving the concussion test, you have to make the choice between having a non-kicker take the kick (in the hope that he comes back), or permanently substitute him for his blood replacement.

It seems a huge oversight, and since it came to light, a terrifying ammount of fly-halves and full-backs are taking scary hits, trying to pull off garryowen kicks. I feel like they might actually do something about that before the World Cup?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

There are still a couple of weird rules, which need to be worked out.

A few weeks ago, when Dan Biggar was put through a concussion test, we found out that his Blood Replacement isn't allowed to take any kicks towards goal.

It seems that if you happen to receive a potentially game-winning penalty while your kicker is receiving the concussion test, you have to make the choice between having a non-kicker take the kick (in the hope that he comes back), or permanently substitute him for his blood replacement.

It seems a huge oversight, and since it came to light, a terrifying ammount of fly-halves and full-backs are taking scary hits, trying to pull off garryowen kicks. I feel like they might actually do something about that before the World Cup?

It seems weird that there are essentially two types of temporary replacement now: a blood injury replacement and a head injury assessment replacement. Only the head injury assessment replacement is prohibited from taking kicks, the blood replacement is free to take kicks.
Seems a bit counterproductive, as the reason for introducing the subs for head injuries was to ensure the medics had enough time to assess the player without the team being at a disadvantage. I guess the reasoning behind it is to stop teams faking head injuries to sneak kickers back onto the pitch near the end of tied knock-out games that would otherwise go to penalties?
I think it should be removed or just treated as on of the laws that get ignored as they are daft, like the one that says only injured players can be substituted (i.e. tactical subs are banned).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If a head-injury subbed front-row can go into the scrum, I don't see why a kicker should be stopped kicking.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I didn't even know that was a thing. Shouldn't teams have at least two people that are viable goal kickers out anyway? I guess that explains why Aaron Smith took the conversion to get the All Blacks over 50 against the Wallabies at Eden Park a couple of months ago, despite Beauden Barrett being on the field.

I honestly don't understand why a concussion test replacement shouldn't be allowed to take kicks either. What does it matter if the guy's on the pitch because he's a tactical sub, an injury sub, a blood replacement or there because the other guy got his bell rung and is getting his head checked? It seems like a bit of an oversight in an otherwise reasonably successful initiative.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 16, 2014

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

stavros880 posted:

I guess the reasoning behind it is to stop teams faking head injuries to sneak kickers back onto the pitch near the end of tied knock-out games that would otherwise go to penalties?

It's because this exact scenario happened a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ppwVqvTipU

The Harlequins physio slipped their replacement Fly-half a blood capsule, so he could be taken off, and the team's first-choice Fly-half returned to the field as a blood replacement.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

It's because this exact scenario happened a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ppwVqvTipU

The Harlequins physio slipped their replacement Fly-half a blood capsule, so he could be taken off, and the team's first-choice Fly-half returned to the field as a blood replacement.

But in that case, it was a fake blood replacement, and blood replacements are evidently still allowed to continue taking kicks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think about half the board of the club, the physio, the club doctor and the player involved were either banned, fined, fired or resigned after that though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

goatface posted:

If a head-injury subbed front-row can go into the scrum, I don't see why a kicker should be stopped kicking.

Can the kicker make a drop goal?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes. The law only says:

quote:

(d) A player who temporarily replaces a player who is being assessed at the pitch side for head injury must not take penalty kicks at goal or conversion kicks.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Cool.

Lack of distinction between offense, defense, and special teams is one of the main things I like about rugby (and rugby league) in opposition to football, but I also appreciate tactical substitutions and their value in changing a team's play-style mid-way through the game. Maybe people should just be gentlemen and not abuse the laws?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe people should just be gentlemen and not abuse the laws?

Yeah sure.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What the christ is happening in Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCY6_iyOP5I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

What the christ is happening in Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCY6_iyOP5I

Sydney Stars had to get a win somehow.

• Locked thread