Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Edit - Also if you want something fun, I have created an arcade cabinet using the new movie screens. The steam workshop also has an imgur link to the template that can be used to create your own :).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1084072805

That's cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I do find it annoying they gave us another spinning wild mouse instead of a normal wild mouse car.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
This was pretty amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VznQNWpYvAc

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

I'm just as impressed with the coaster as how smoothly his game seems to run it.

Also the partially underwater tracks, I can't imagine what kind of sweet hell that'd be to maintain on an actual coaster.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

*Feelings of inadequacy intensifies*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy..

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Is it sad that my favorite part was his queue? Because it felt like something ripped from a real park.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

how do people even make these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vABBdHKnT8U

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Downloading some of these top-rated parks from the workshop kills my desire to play the game myself, knowing I'll never come close to any of these.

Like, the guy who made this park said it only took him 250 hours. I don't believe him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bluhman posted:

that's a pretty legit setup. Knowing from what I've seen, some other dude will probably make something disgustingly elaborate.

TIL water's hitbox only includes the surface. That means if you make a lake and then tunnel into it from below, then

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=973079112

Disney will figure out a way to do this in ten years, probably.

After Florida is underwater.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I've just begun playing this (with less than an hour play time at this stage), and the fact that Frontier took the typical issue with Theme Park style games (that ultimately the economic simulation aspect of it is trivial) and went ahead and leaned in to the 'make everything look pretty' side of things is great, and executed really well. Everything is really intuitive, and if I had one gripe it would be that triggers/animations need to be a tad more powerful/customizable - for example, in the following little scene I've made:

I wanted the cannon to fire and then the barrel to explode only once in a while rather than constantly. I was able to get around this by setting a trigger to each on a completely unrelated rollercoaster ride's track, with a .5 second delay for the barrel, and it's a nice little effect, but I would love it if I could set the cannon to trigger once every X seconds, with the barrel's trigger directly linked to the cannon, with its own delay.

Other than that, though, I can see that this is going to be a game that I play for a loooong time.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I personally haven't experimented with it, but there's a Display Sequencer part that can queue up scenery trigger sequences like rides can, and does so on a timer. At least I think that's what that object does.

To my knowledge it was added into the game later with the July update (and is normally used to setup fireworks shows), so I can only imagine that other players had the exact same gripe until it was added!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I think it's time for me to give up on Planet Coaster. I've had it since pre-launch, and time and time again I try to get into it but I just can't find myself putting in that much effort to get things to look good. I know I'm not gonna get things to look like some of these videos, but for some reason I cannot dedicate the time to even make it serviceable :\.

Anyone else feel like this? I really, really, want to like the game and keep playing it, but it's just too much.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i do that also, and then I download a bunch of poo poo off the workshop and plop down two things and it causes my game to run at 20 fps because they put in 1000000 of the same bush

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I feel the same because I want a park management game and they have no interest in catering to that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Try Parkitect? I'm not sure how far along that game is though, I haven't really checked on it in a while.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try Parkitect? I'm not sure how far along that game is though, I haven't really checked on it in a while.

While I have yet to dig into it and just do stuff like glance at news updates? Parkitect did just recently implement shuttle mode transports. Which took Planet Coaster... uh... gently caress, hold on.

Fake Edit: Am I missing something and just not seeing it, or does Planet Coaster still not have that option.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Parkitect is cool but nowhere near done. I've owned it for two years and when they get the game together it'll be great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Parkitect is cool but nowhere near done. I've owned it for two years and when they get the game together it'll be great.

One thing that caught my attention comparing the indie Development of Parkitect vs Planet Coaster, was about them getting park ride sound design down. Which is also a good summary of comparing many indie devs (the not poo poo ones) to Studio developed games.

Parkitect devs have talked about, and shown photos of them having to sneak microphones in with them as they go on amusement park rides.

Planet Coaster devs meanwhile, talked about how hard it was for them to find a park willing to let them rent the whole place so they could get the rides all to themselves :v:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Wasn't Chris Sawyer's method repeatedly riding coasters till he was sick?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Agreed. It's still not enough of a game for me for it to scratch that itch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Cedar Point just announced a partnership with Frontier. Steel Vengeance (the RMC rebuild of Mean Streak) will be in the game today.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Hey, that's pretty cool advertising.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I remember a bunch of Six Flags coasters being in one of the RCT expansions?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember a bunch of Six Flags coasters being in one of the RCT expansions?

RCT2's base game was filthy with Six Flags sponsorship. The default sandbox scenario was called "Build your own Six-Flags park".

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Doh004 posted:

I think it's time for me to give up on Planet Coaster. I've had it since pre-launch, and time and time again I try to get into it but I just can't find myself putting in that much effort to get things to look good. I know I'm not gonna get things to look like some of these videos, but for some reason I cannot dedicate the time to even make it serviceable :\.

Anyone else feel like this? I really, really, want to like the game and keep playing it, but it's just too much.

Play RCT2. It's the best.

I also don't care for hyperrealistic recreations of real life dark rides and obsessive scenery sculpting. I just want to make something that looks like a cute anthill from above. RCT2 is still the best game for that.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Steel Vengeance is going to be loving insane to ride. I need to get out to Cedar Point next year after it opens.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Steel Vengeance is going to be loving insane to ride. I need to get out to Cedar Point next year after it opens.
Yeah I was bummed as hell when they announced Mean Streak was going away, I loved that ride, but this looks like a proper update that keeps it properly aggressive while hopefully shutting up the people who whined about it being rough.

Also the fact that they're positioning it as a "rival" to Maverick in the Frontiertown lore makes me happy because I really don't like Maverick. My season pass will be getting a workout next year for sure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

wolrah posted:

Cedar Point just announced a partnership with Frontier. Steel Vengeance (the RMC rebuild of Mean Streak) will be in the game today.

They had to make the PC version 240 feet tall though to get it to complete the layout... cause physics I guess.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So this is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWagBjDMwTU

quote:

Universal and Frontier Developments (Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster) revealed Jurassic World Evolution, a dinosaur theme park simulation for PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One, at Gamescom today. Jurassic World Evolution is expected to arrive sometime during summer 2018.

“As long-time fans of the entire Jurassic series we’re thrilled to be putting players in charge of their own Jurassic World,” said Frontier’s Chief Creative Officer, Jonny Watts, in a release. “We’re excited to bring over fifteen years of management, simulation, and creature development expertise to a destination and franchise that remains an inspiration to us.”

Jurassic World Evolution will task players with creating and managing their own Jurassic World theme park — no small task, based on how well this dinosaur theme park thing has gone for the past few decades — on the island of Isla Nublar and the surrounding Muertes Archipelago.

“Players will build their own Jurassic World as they bioengineer new dinosaur breeds and construct attractions, containment and research facilities,” Frontier said. “Every choice leads to a different path and spectacular challenges arise when ‘life finds a way.’”

Jurassic World Evolution should hit consoles and PC around the time the next movie, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, hits theaters.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/20/16176368/jurassic-world-evolution-sim-frontier-developments-ps4-xbox-one-pc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Omfg I remember playing the hell out of Dinopark Tycoon when I was a kid

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Build a theme park with Dinosaurs?

A sequel to Operation Genesis?

Sounds fun.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
sounds good, will be fun to spend 4 hours to get the right positioning for the rocks so they look good next to my dino exhibit

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This looks awesome.

I wonder if a campaign will have more of a focus and be less sandboxy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

This looks awesome.

I wonder if a campaign will have more of a focus and be less sandboxy.

Or of all the later "free content" will have zero function in any campaign missions but the one made to show them off.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

DLC that adds feathers. Be amazing if they have a DNA mixer to create outlandish Dino's.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WebDog posted:

DLC that adds feathers. Be amazing if they have a DNA mixer to create outlandish Dino's.

Oh man, I'd love to see what the game's approach to feathers will be, It'd be very nice if it was an available option at least, or that you could mod it in.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is it wrong that i wish it were an expansion to planet coaster

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is it wrong that i wish it were an expansion to planet coaster

I have to wonder if Planet Coaster will get the same expansions that RCT3 did (Water Parks and Zoos)

because for the latter I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be possible to include dinosaurs. Well I mean aside from suspension of disbelief but that went out the window when I reached this campaign level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe I have to buy another game to get my park management game.