Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

I still need to be added to the friend list in the OP. Uplay ID: mboger1

I've sent a bunch of friend requests already, but I still need ~25 friends for the achievement, so please add me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

The weakest of the unique spells is indisputably The Gate To Nowhere.

Had to look it up because I'd never seen it in a game. Right you are, sir.

I played a ton of games with Silent Death in Adar Malik. Even if your opponent has no way to bounce/kill their own creature, a lot of the time you just can't afford to wait a turn on killing the target; especially not over and over again in a game, which is the only way that card generates value. I only played a handful of games where it did more work than a Soulreaver, and most of those were mirror matches.

It's not unplayable, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a WC priority if you're starting out.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Avasculous posted:

Had to look it up because I'd never seen it in a game. Right you are, sir.

I played a ton of games with Silent Death in Adar Malik. Even if your opponent has no way to bounce/kill their own creature, a lot of the time you just can't afford to wait a turn on killing the target; especially not over and over again in a game, which is the only way that card generates value. I only played a handful of games where it did more work than a Soulreaver, and most of those were mirror matches.

It's not unplayable, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a WC priority if you're starting out.

Yeah, it's a very low value card for Adar Malik. The setup for it to be good is just so high and it's competing with recurring Plague Spitters in the late game board control department. The only real reason it gets played at all is because you need to play a lot of Magic Peddlers so you can cast Forbidden Flame consistently. Having Silent Death in the deck makes the Peddlers after the first not completely dead draws. If Silent Death was just a unique copy of Soulreaver or Shadow Image, it would probably be a lot better.

The setup for it to be good involves something like a Lich to block anything they play and a board stat that's fine with you spending that 4 mana on not immediately killing something or playing a creature of your own. Which mostly happens against bad decks, better decks with punish you for playing like that.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm fighting almost all Spellthors tonight. I'm doing alright but it is getting boring to face it four fifths of the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I finally managed to acquire a 5 towers box and knock off Herald of the Void. I think I should be focusing on just Reinforcement packs now and building up seals to another Five Towers box to unlock that?

Well that should be fun as I build my ELO back up again, I forced it down so my boosts didn't go to waste because I certainly wasn't winning in the 1000+ ELOs

Now, what to spend my Wild Card on, I just brought 2 more Lightning Strikes (3 total) and nothing else yet and 37 Wild Cards to spend.

I have 4 Wolf Captains is there anything from the sets that aren't 5 Towers I should be grabbing for Haven?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are you still using Cassandra? You'd have to decide if you want to focus on spells or fortunes.

Aniel is worth grabbing, and possibly Elenore, but it depends on what direction your deck is going.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In ten games, I have gone first 9 of those times. Of those first turns, 5 of them hadn't had a 1 resource creature. In every single one, I haven't had a 1 resource and 2 resource creature together. :psyduck:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are you still using Cassandra? You'd have to decide if you want to focus on spells or fortunes.

Aniel is worth grabbing, and possibly Elenore, but it depends on what direction your deck is going.

I swapped to Sandalphon, find I prefer spells to fortunes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Onmi posted:

Sandal Lock is boring. Sandal Spell is a solid rush deck that beats the hell out of Sandal Lock, though is not quite as good against Kelthor when he gets lucky (which he will).

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Office Sheep posted:

I'm fighting almost all Spellthors tonight. I'm doing alright but it is getting boring to face it four fifths of the time.

Sorry, I can't win w/out Spellthor unless I'm playing bad people at 10 a.m. CST.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

Might as well get Song of the Lost then. If you have Ice Splinters the two go together brilliantly, otherwise it's still a decent control option.

Strength of the Sea is also great for buffing the normally offensively wanting Haven units and shielding yourself from fortune decks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Might as well get Song of the Lost then. If you have Ice Splinters the two go together brilliantly, otherwise it's still a decent control option.

Strength of the Sea is also great for buffing the normally offensively wanting Haven units and shielding yourself from fortune decks.

Already have Song of the Lost, lucked out with my boosters. No Ice Splinters or Strength of the Sea though, should probably grab them.

Jedit posted:

Sandal Lock is boring. Sandal Spell is a solid rush deck that beats the hell out of Sandal Lock, though is not quite as good against Kelthor when he gets lucky (which he will).

I'm not a Lock kind of person in general, I prefer to punch my opponents, which is sort of why I prefer spells for the blasting power. Though admittedly my main problem with Cass Fortune was not having all the support (Most of a Deck was always my problem, and you can't win at 1000+ with Most of a Deck)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The weakness deck continues to be a fan favorite.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Have they said anything about reducing the absurd wildcard costs and/or reverting the amount you get from packs?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Office Sheep posted:

Yea it is strong and easy to play and everyone who didn't have the stronghold creatures went and bought that Road to Paris deck.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

I'm going to be playing most of the day and I was wondering if someone wanted to help me quickly grind out the friends list achievements. From what I understand, I need to send 3 challenges (can this be to the same friend?), accept 3 challenges, and win 30 times (which can be done by first round surrenders, right?). Anyways, I'm in game as mboger1 if anyone would like to help me out. Thanks!

Edit: Got this taken care of, but I still need more friends!

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 13, 2014

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

jetz0r posted:

The weakness deck continues to be a fan favorite.

I approve of this in every way. <3 jetz0r!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

I approve of this in every way. <3 jetz0r!

Something I didn't even realize the first time I was talking about how bad the deck is, is that there are two Sanctuary heroes that it literally just can not beat. Akane and Kaiko both have hero abilities that just negate your deck.

But it was more fun to grind out wins with to get the I am Inferno banner than Garrant rush.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If spellthor is becoming the main focus of the meta due to the champ deck, then maybe playing a deck that directly counters spellthor will win some swiss easily. The issue I have is that many end up spellthor vs spellthor, but only 2-3 enter total.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jetz0r posted:

Something I didn't even realize the first time I was talking about how bad the deck is, is that there are two Sanctuary heroes that it literally just can not beat. Akane and Kaiko both have hero abilities that just negate your deck.

Shalan decks are built to bounce their own creatures, so make that three.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Hey guys, can I get an invite to the group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Korlac

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Just unlocked the An Eventful Victory achievement. :smug:

One of the hordes of people that inexplicably run Week of Austerity in creature based decks (why the gently caress does everyone do this anyway?) finally killed themselves with it after I put them at 1HP with a few Pao Deathseekers. Feels good man.

And this comes the game after someone killed themselves with their own Dark Assassin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Promoted Pawn posted:

Just unlocked the An Eventful Victory achievement. :smug:

One of the hordes of people that inexplicably run Week of Austerity in creature based decks (why the gently caress does everyone do this anyway?) finally killed themselves with it after I put them at 1HP with a few Pao Deathseekers. Feels good man.

And this comes the game after someone killed themselves with their own Dark Assassin.

I got Paid Assassin when an Adar player resigned at 19 health having taken 1 damage from a Magic Peddler. Admittedly I was going to get it anyway because the reason for his resignation was me stripping his hand of Fire spells and dropping a Shi-no-Shi, but still.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Unmei-Kami vs Sandal fortune lock is the best feeling. Attack each turn. Read the menu of cards. Cast their prison.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 14, 2014

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

A couple of quick questions... Is Ariana available in the Heroic packs or do you have to buy the 125K deck/use the altar/5000 card unlock? Also, with the infernal pit, do you get the gold AND the chance at the card on offer or is it a one or the other deal?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yes on Ariana's availability.

Sacrificing cards in Infernal Pit gives gold regardless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tae posted:

Yes on Ariana's availability.

This is not correct. Heroic Packs contain Base Set heroes only, and the Base Set heroes for Necro are Seria, Fleshbane, Mother Namtaru and Nergal. Ariana must be bought or earned.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Jedit posted:

This is not correct. Heroic Packs contain Base Set heroes only, and the Base Set heroes for Necro are Seria, Fleshbane, Mother Namtaru and Nergal. Ariana must be bought or earned.

There is a Necro precon that has her in it also; that's how I got mine.

Edit: 125,000 gold or 1100 seals.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 15, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Promoted Pawn posted:

There is a Necro precon that has her in it also; that's how I got mine.

Edit: 125,000 gold or 1100 seals.

Yes, that would be included in "bought". It's also the deck you get free if you bought HOMM6: Shades of Darkness.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's also the deck you get free if you bought HOMM6: Shades of Darkness.

Was that a one time offer or is it an ongoing thing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chubbs posted:

Was that a one time offer or is it an ongoing thing?

Ongoing so far as I know. I picked it up in the Steam Sale and got the deck a day or two ago.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

The OP says that Jackpot tournies aren't worth the effort, but I have to disagree. All you have to do is win two games in a row to (usually) place in tier 5, which today netted me ~5500 gold.

On the flip side, are daily rewards random, based on level/ELO, or have they been nerfed? I ask because my first week is 250 gold, 500 gold, 925 gold, 1 ticket, 3000 gold, 6 tickets, and 75 seals for a total of 4725 gold, 7 tickets, and 75 seals. The one listed in the OP totals 5075 gold, 8 tickets, and 105 seals.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

The OP says that Jackpot tournies aren't worth the effort, but I have to disagree. All you have to do is win two games in a row to (usually) place in tier 5, which today netted me ~5500 gold.

On the flip side, are daily rewards random, based on level/ELO, or have they been nerfed? I ask because my first week is 250 gold, 500 gold, 925 gold, 1 ticket, 3000 gold, 6 tickets, and 75 seals for a total of 4725 gold, 7 tickets, and 75 seals. The one listed in the OP totals 5075 gold, 8 tickets, and 105 seals.

JP is only worth the effort if your returns are more than 500g per game played. Otherwise you would have got more gold from the same win/loss record by duelling.

Daily rewards are random and 8 tix is about the best haul you can get. This week I'm getting 11k gold, 1 ticket and however many seals it turns out to be.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

JP is only worth the effort if your returns are more than 500g per game played. Otherwise you would have got more gold from the same win/loss record by duelling.

Daily rewards are random and 8 tix is about the best haul you can get. This week I'm getting 11k gold, 1 ticket and however many seals it turns out to be.

That's what I mean about JP. I've been playing for less than a week and still have a lot of work that needs to be done on my deck and I still managed to get 2 wins in a row after 4 duals (a win, a loss, and then two wins). Counting the ~150 per dual gold amount, that's 1500 gold per dual. Maybe it was just a fluke, but since I intend on unlocking the "play in 10 JPs" achievement, I'll see if it holds up.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
I need to figure out a better strategy with my Haven deck. Right now it's just a mess of creatures and spells and I don't have an overall goal/strategy with it. I win most games out of dumb luck.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Daily rewards HATE me. I haven't gotten a tournament ticket in two weeks, and as Swiss tourneys are my favorite thing in the game, I've completely run out now.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Korlac posted:

I need to figure out a better strategy with my Haven deck. Right now it's just a mess of creatures and spells and I don't have an overall goal/strategy with it. I win most games out of dumb luck.

Did you pick it as your starter or is it cobbled together from pack drops?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

That's what I mean about JP. I've been playing for less than a week and still have a lot of work that needs to be done on my deck and I still managed to get 2 wins in a row after 4 duals (a win, a loss, and then two wins). Counting the ~150 per dual gold amount, that's 1500 gold per dual. Maybe it was just a fluke, but since I intend on unlocking the "play in 10 JPs" achievement, I'll see if it holds up.

You can get the achievement by clicking the Enter Tournament button without ever playing a duel, just so you know.

Regarding JPs, you are only certain of T5 with 3 wins. If you lose twice in making that record you are on a loss.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Chubbs posted:

Did you pick it as your starter or is it cobbled together from pack drops?

I picked it as my starter and I've got some decent cards from various pack drops.

From what I read it sounds like I'm struggling because I'm missing a few key cards, like Wolf Captains, and because I don't have an overall strategy with the deck. Sounds like I need to prep to weather the storm of the early rounds because most decks will out damage me, but once I get into the later rounds my protection and ability to heal all my dudes should make me a late game contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

You can get the achievement by clicking the Enter Tournament button without ever playing a duel, just so you know.

Regarding JPs, you are only certain of T5 with 3 wins. If you lose twice in making that record you are on a loss.

From what I've read, you have a good chance at making T5 with a TELO of ~60. With my previous WLWW record, I had a 61 and ended up finishing around 1900th in a pool of around 8000, giving me a ~500 people cushion. I completely agree with you guys that if it takes you 20+ duels to get up to ~60, it's not worth it. If you have a halfway decent deck, though, it might not be a bad idea to play JP 2-5 times to try to get that 2 in a row win.

• Locked thread