Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd give the MK and Berserker Black Garb, frankly. The loss of 3/5 points of defense over Crystal/Genji is worth the extra Agility. I don't think I've bought/used Crystal Armor in ages.

As for the Ranger, I'd do Rapid Fire and actually go with the Yoichi Bow unless you're allergic to RNG. Assuming a 30% crit rate, the Yoichi averages out to like 131 attack power vs the Artemis' 111.

Also, if I may ask, why Tiger Masks over Black Cowls?

Switched to black garbs and black cowls. I didn't mention the black cowls because I completely forgot to go back and buy some. I blew all my cash on hand on 3 Hermes sandals. Thanks for reminding me.

Edit:

Only too-late do I remember Doctor Tot. I relied on magic shell procs on my thief and mystic knight in order to survive Almagests. Only one main gauche block that I can remember, but the thief was busy using the magic lamp or reviving/elixiring and wouldn't have gotten many attacks in anyway. Per Kyrosiris' advice, I slapped on the Yoichi bow instead of the Artemis. Felt like it crit more than 30% of the time, but that could have been confirmation bias. It was kind of cool having magic barrier as a secondary ability for the last fight. The fiesta is great for niche things like that.

Tobacco Grower fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Now I'm genuinely curious what's faster: reflected Thundaras or Coral Swords.

reflected thundaras
you can kit the two attacking rdms out with magus rod and thunder rod and equip harps for more agi
whereas this game doesnt have TMPR / attack up for the poor rdms so you just get normal melee damage

id also recommend lamia tiaras if you can steal/ buy them incase some rocket punches get through

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Too late for the donation, but I still reminded NED, Shinryu and Omega of Dr. Tot Toot

Not that bad of a run. There were points that were difficult, but getting the early time mage helped a lot. Quickleaked the superbosses, but it's my first ever triple crown. So I'm not going to complain. NED was difficult, until Dr. Toot could survive an almagest. Once he could do that (level 44), NED was pretty simple. Quick ->Meteor -> Meteor/Elixir was just too good. Wiped once on NED once I hit the requisite because Toot got himself zombified and couldn't heal up. Could have slapped an angel ring on him and hasted, but I made it through anyway.

Onto the next run.

My mobile run just finished up world 1, and I've called it 'Throwing Money at Anime'. Samurai/Summoner/Ninja/Time Mage. Annoying have the time mage again, but I'll take a second triple crown. Maybe I'll do it legitimately this time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fenrir posted:

Run #3/Triple Crown #2 complete

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Bullshit > [ASK] me about Team No Offense™

:hfive:

I got this exact team once. I know your pain of pinking away with knives with Time Mages forever.

Though, I think Team Not Lose is a better description. Because for 90% of the game, rather then win fights, that's what you do.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
For my second run, Gilgabot bestowed upon me: Dragoon / Dragoon / Dragoon / Summoner. Yeah.

Summoner will carry me to victory, but I won't be beating Omega this time. Ah, well.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Run number 2, with Dancer/Knight/White Mage/Dragoon complete. I was a little disappointed since I wanted to give some non-wind jobs a chance for once, but it was a pretty well rounded team by the end. Not having any multi-target attacks except for Curaga on undead was a bit of a pain in the mid-game, though. Shinryu was easy with Berserk + Knight Guard/Cover, and I beat him about level 32. I couldn't beat Omega until 50, and even then it came down to a 25% chance of actually landing the killing blow with Knight Faris Dancing with the Ragnarok.

Not Pictured: Lenna Jumping

Not Pictured: Bartz and Krile being Encircled from the battle

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
So if I'd had true quadzerkers, I'd probably be less frustrated than I am now. It's just grind and RNG and putting yourself in the best position (gear-wise) to win, right?

But no. I had to get Time/BER/SER/KER. Just enough control to be able to get through things at a "reasonable" level, and all the more prone to hitting large tree-like walls.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take three L21 Zerkers to fight W2 Exdeath. It does not end well.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
:cripes: Decided to try Chaos #Upgrade for my third run. Starting Job: Chemist. Yay, I have mix forever and I can freelance my way through World 1 (I don't use the Fiesta Patch unless I really need to)

Oh wait now Galuf is gone and I want everyone to have !mix, so let me just hammer it out on the other three, chumproll the meteor bosses, grab my shells and dark matter, and head to world 2. Ok let me grab Galuf, get back to Bal, statue him !mix, and get my second job at long last.

Chemist Again :smith: Too poor to Job Fair a reroll and not in good conscience wanting to use it for free (and I mean Chemist is ok), I roll my third job: Black Mage. Extra high magic for my !mix attacks :unsmith:

...But I bought no magic in W1 and the only magic I have available in Bal is Break, Drain, and Bio. Right before Drakenvale and all its undead (which also can't be succubus kissed) :negative:

So I spend 20 minutes turbogrinding statues to !black6 and roll my final job, crossing my fingers that it isnt Berserker and, despite a joke in IRC, kinda actually hoping for Geomancer (I'll have ok magic, more HP, and !gaia to kill random encounters for days)

...Black Mage Again. Chem/Chem/Blk/Blk for my Chaos Upgrade.

I mean it could be far worse, but still :smithicide:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Well, to whoever pledged for Knights to take the chicken knife. Here you go.

I am currently* knight and I have taken the knife.

I'm doing Upgrade but still, technically I am correct and following the letter of the law.*

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

i have
THF/Berserker/NIN/Knight
and i'm trying to think of how to use the brave blade or chicken knife

and trying to choose between Two Handed Dual Wield and Berserk depending on the situation is always confusing. The defense penetration is only on Axes and Hammers right but that would work with equip axe on the NIN which doesnt need to equip dual wield like knight needs to equip it

And is Two Handed better on the berserker then giving them Equip Swords and the Brave Blade

NIN is much slower then THF which isnt something I realized until this run so I'm not too worried about the THF having the Chicken Knife for !Mug since Bartz will probably be my healer as THF

and NIN with !Mug and the Chicken Knife and a strong Ninja sword or the NIN wielding two giant knightswords and then getting to unequip the brave blade and use !throw to defeat NED with it :0

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 17, 2016

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

zolthorg posted:

i have
THF/Berserker/NIN/Knight
and i'm trying to think of how to use the brave blade or chicken knife

and trying to choose between Two Handed Dual Wield and Berserk depending on the situation is always confusing. The defense penetration is only on Axes and Hammers right but that would work with equip axe on the NIN which doesnt need to equip dual wield like knight needs to equip it

And is Two Handed better on the berserker then giving them Equip Swords and the Brave Blade

NIN is much slower then THF which isnt something I realized until this run so I'm not too worried about the THF having the Chicken Knife for !Mug since Bartz will probably be my healer as THF

and NIN with !Mug and the Chicken Knife and a strong Ninja sword or the NIN wielding two giant knightswords and then getting to unequip the brave blade and use !throw to defeat NED with it :0

You cannot throw the brave blade, oddly. I think the bigger question is if you REALLY don't want to run from any fights. Not to mention you have a high agility team so chicken knife would benefit from that as well.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

zolthorg posted:

For damage? Yes. In practicality? No. Giving up a shield on a class where it's one of their standout features is a bad idea. It's fine to do it with a Knight because you can still swap a shield on/off midbattle if you've got a working knowledge of your enemy's AI, but for a Berserker it's dumb. Berserk Brave Blade will put out enough damage anyway: with a Thief and Ninja you want survivability in your party.

As for attacking with the Chicken Knife, why bother? Just throw Fuma Shuriken, or if you must use a weapon, you get access to the only two Equip X abilities worth a drat in the endgame (there are more good Knightswords and Axes than characters to use them).

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 17, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Archenteron posted:

:cripes: Decided to try Chaos #Upgrade for my third run. Starting Job: Chemist. Yay, I have mix forever and I can freelance my way through World 1 (I don't use the Fiesta Patch unless I really need to)

Oh wait now Galuf is gone and I want everyone to have !mix, so let me just hammer it out on the other three, chumproll the meteor bosses, grab my shells and dark matter, and head to world 2. Ok let me grab Galuf, get back to Bal, statue him !mix, and get my second job at long last.

Chemist Again :smith: Too poor to Job Fair a reroll and not in good conscience wanting to use it for free (and I mean Chemist is ok), I roll my third job: Black Mage. Extra high magic for my !mix attacks :unsmith:

...But I bought no magic in W1 and the only magic I have available in Bal is Break, Drain, and Bio. Right before Drakenvale and all its undead (which also can't be succubus kissed) :negative:

So I spend 20 minutes turbogrinding statues to !black6 and roll my final job, crossing my fingers that it isnt Berserker and, despite a joke in IRC, kinda actually hoping for Geomancer (I'll have ok magic, more HP, and !gaia to kill random encounters for days)

...Black Mage Again. Chem/Chem/Blk/Blk for my Chaos Upgrade.

I mean it could be far worse, but still :smithicide:

Bio's pretty sweet, and the only boss with an elemental weakness before you get the -agas is...Tyrannosaur. The -aras kinda lose their luster in W2 anyway, so you're definitely fine. All this really means is you can't sleep Atomos.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

:hfive:

I got this exact team once. I know your pain of pinking away with knives with Time Mages forever.

Though, I think Team Not Lose is a better description. Because for 90% of the game, rather then win fights, that's what you do.

That's a pretty accurate description.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bravezerker it is then :downs:
I'll have to wait until world 3 and then take a look and see what my endgame party sprite loadout is gonna be and decide who gets to be the bravezerker.

I guess I can also get a bunch of fuma for the THF too because I have to continue fighting random battles

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Let's see the wrap up to World 1 for the Beast & 3 Jerks

That Darn Clapperclaw: Hurled a bear at it to get by it's first form quickly, Jerks handled the rest.
Purobolos: So I lucked out with a dumb plan? I hurled a Prototype at them and tore the Sickles from the Jerks. They just kept exploding but the damage wasn't enough to kill anybody in one go so I could keep up with it fine.
Titan: Bear
Chimera: Death Sickle.

World 2 Intro
Bridge Gil: I saved a bear before leaving W1 to break past his buff near the end of the fight.

Beastmaster is fun and it's not as difficult catching stuff as I thought it would be.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Knight / Dancer / Ninja / Samurai. Level 65.

I am pretty goddamn proud of myself right now.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

Knight / Dancer / Ninja / Samurai. Level 65.

I am pretty goddamn proud of myself right now.

doing it the hard way with phoenix downs and elixirs is radical.
i cant think of any equipment that nullifies fire damage that doesnt absorb it. or if you can even !Guard and cover rocket punches with a fire ring and bone mail so i'm not sure if theres a way to do it with that stategy

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Have any poor lunatics been given 4x Berserker or a Sealed Temple compatible team?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Last year i stopped after getting my last job because i found out that you can't do the cool tricks from the original version on the mobile version. This year i have to beat it twice to make up for it. Aiming for a triple crown on your first playthrough was probably not a good idea to keep myself motivated anyway. Black mage time baby.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Alabaster White posted:

Have any poor lunatics been given 4x Berserker or a Sealed Temple compatible team?

I think the only people with Quadzerks are those who were stupid enough to ask for them with #blameeverhate. What a buncha suckers!

Anyway, back to grinding my Quadzerks! Wait.

Anyway, Level 61 wasn't cutting it against NED, so I think I'll aim for 70 or so (maybe 75) before heading back for another round (or 30) with NED. So far I've found the best place to grind up is the forest area of the Void. The experience per battle is only slightly less compared to the castle area, but I don't have to worry about getting Death Claw'd, zombified, or dealing with any of the Iron Giants' bullshit. The monsters don't hit that hard (especially since 3/4 of the team is in the back row with Thor's Hammers) and the only statuses I have to worry about is the rare case of poison, toad, or mini, and all of those are easily dealt with once the battle ends. I can just autobattle with VBA on fastforward while barely paying attention, only stopping to heal statuses or head for the free heal pot in the village area right next to the forest.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Dr Pepper posted:

I know your pain of pinking away with knives with Time Mages forever.

I just finished a SAM/TIME/TIME/SAM run. I almost never used regular attacks. Comet does great damage. I used it almost exclusively until Meteor replaced it. It out damaged my Samurai's swords, so I used it on them too.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So WHM/MYS/RAN/???

:allears: Gilgamesh you sweetheart.

Honestly, I don't think there's any job I can get that will prevent a triple crown. Honestly, a Chemist would make it that much easier to do Fork Tower, but a Dragoon or Samurai would offer supreme physical power to help me get through the physical side.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

First completion ever finished. Pretty happy with it. Had a metric fuckton of magic so it made the game pretty easy.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So I'm going to check something about one of the Void monsters on the FF Wiki, and come across this tidbit about the Forest section:

quote:

A few of the trees have lit knotholes. One of these has a Save point inside it. The exit to the forest is another knothole, guarded by the demon Calofisteri.

Now, either I'm really bad at searching and I've simply never spotted these extra holes (and somehow failed to find it when I searched the area after reading this), or whoever wrote this pulled that information directly out of their rear end, because I could've sworn the only knothole is the one leading to the caves.

Well, this could also be from some other version and simply isn't present in the GBA version. Anyone care to confirm for me which instance this is of those three possibilities?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I do not remember this at all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No one ever remembers Calofisteri because most teams kill her in two turns. Also, she has a stupid name.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

No one ever remembers Calofisteri because most teams kill her in two turns. Also, she has a stupid name.

Pretty much this. She's the most useless boss in the void.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Welp, going full martial for run 2. Monk/zerker/ranger/dancer. Rapid fire all day erry day.

!Rapidfire Monk/ !Bare handed Beraerker/ !Rapidfire Ranger/!HP +30% Dancer. Does that seem right to everybody?

berenzen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 17, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

berenzen posted:

Welp, going full martial for run 2. Monk/zerker/ranger/dancer. Rapid fire all day erry day.

!Rapidfire Monk/ !Bare handed Beraerker/ !Rapidfire Ranger/!HP +30% Dancer. Does that seem right to everybody?

Equip Axes on the Monk so they can actually use a real weapon.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kyrosiris posted:

Equip Axes on the Monk so they can actually use a real weapon.

Or bows and hand them the Hayate bow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Supremezero posted:

Or bows and hand them the Hayate bow.

Actually yeah, that's probably more sound since the Ranger will be Chicken Knifin' it.

Endgame would look like:

Monk @ Equip Bows, Hayate Bow
Berserker @ Equip Ribbons, Thor's Hammer
Ranger @ Rapid Fire, Chicken Knife
Dancer @ Barehanded or HP30%, Assassin's Dagger

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
So, I've got my final team now (Red Mage, Berserker, Ninja and Samurai) and I'm thinking something like this will be good for the end-game.

Red Mage with Dualcast. I've got Flame Rings, so I can heal with rod-boosted double Firas.
Berserker with Dual-Wield or Equip Katanas.
Ninja with Red 3. To help boost scrolls a bit.
Samurai with Dual-Wield or Equip Axes.

Is this any good, or should I change it around?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

I mean what's really to say about this team setup. With Samurai and Ninja, plus a magic class to stick !Throw onto, there's no way I wasn't beating the game. I guess now we just see if this team can beat Shinryu, 'cause I know for drat sure that Omega's not happening

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Grabbed the Kornago Gourd and the Coronet now he's pretty much okay for handling that utility stuff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's pronounced "speed bump". :pseudo:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bufuman posted:

So I'm going to check something about one of the Void monsters on the FF Wiki, and come across this tidbit about the Forest section:

Now, either I'm really bad at searching and I've simply never spotted these extra holes (and somehow failed to find it when I searched the area after reading this), or whoever wrote this pulled that information directly out of their rear end, because I could've sworn the only knothole is the one leading to the caves.

Well, this could also be from some other version and simply isn't present in the GBA version. Anyone care to confirm for me which instance this is of those three possibilities?

Pretty sure the wiki just pulled that out of their rear end. Or they were thinking about Moore, which does have multiple knotholes and a save point.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

No more Red Mages, Gilgabot.

No more ever again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

Pretty sure the wiki just pulled that out of their rear end.

The FF wiki pulls 95%+ of their content out of their rear end. Never use that garbage heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Bio's pretty sweet, and the only boss with an elemental weakness before you get the -agas is...Tyrannosaur. The -aras kinda lose their luster in W2 anyway, so you're definitely fine. All this really means is you can't sleep Atomos.

Hell, I think everything in Drakenvale (except the Hiryuu Plant/Dragon Pod :downs:) is susceptible to Petrify.

Break is underrated as hell because of how the magic accuracy formula works. It works on a whole bunch of poo poo, you just might be having bad RNG. (Source: Break Blade pretty much elevates the Mystic Knight from "niche" to "your main way of dealing with randos" in World 2)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 17, 2016

• Locked thread