Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Level-5 Yokai Watch has really started to take off in Japan over the last couple of months, and now this... thing, is going viral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKLQXOj0ts

It's a really fun, well-designed game.

My only critiques would be that sometimes you go up in rank practically one quest after another (without any time in there to explore or catch all the new youkai you just unlocked the ability to catch), the stats don't seem to matter all that much (and are not nearly as important as what type of specials your youkai have), and the food system has too many types that you have to remember and try every time you want to catch something.

Oh, and the bicycle music gets really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Arcaeris posted:

My only critiques would be that sometimes you go up in rank practically one quest after another (without any time in there to explore or catch all the new youkai you just unlocked the ability to catch), the stats don't seem to matter all that much (and are not nearly as important as what type of specials your youkai have), and the food system has too many types that you have to remember and try every time you want to catch something.

Much like a lot of other L5 games, the customization and leveling game mechanics have almost no impact on the single player game, which you can breeze through, and all with the Pokemon-like PvP battles (local only, IIRC). To master those, you really have to know how to tune your monsters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They surprise-announced a sequel about a week ago, it's out this July. They're doing two versions a la Pokemon, too.

It's worth noting that Yokai Watch has only really exploded in the last couple months - they've pretty much replicated the Inazuma Eleven situation in that they couldn't manage to launch the anime alongside the game, so it wasn't really selling until the anime dropped at the end of last year, and since then it's really exploded.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

SeANMcBAY posted:

LBW is a nice challenge on Hero Mode. It's a shame you have to beat the game once on normal before you can play it.

Hero Mode is nice, but I wish they'd have put more effort and thought into it than just quadrupling the damage you take. I'm not saying it should have been a full on Master Quest type thing, but they could have included a couple of new enemy types and formations, or altered some puzzle rooms or something.

I also wish there was a difficulty level on par with the original, as opposed to just having Very Easy and Very Hard mode.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hey it looks like Toad is playable in the new Mario Golf

I use him in all the Mario Karts so it always bugged me that you couldn't choose him in any of the golf/tennis games except for Mario Tennis on N64.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone in Europe play the Mario Golf demo? Curious how it is. For whatever dumb reason, Nintendo isn't releasing the demo in NA.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone in Europe play the Mario Golf demo? Curious how it is. For whatever dumb reason, Nintendo isn't releasing the demo in NA.

This is Europe we're talking about. We're too busy playing Nintendo Pocket Football Club.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Rexroom posted:

This is Europe we're talking about. We're too busy playing Nintendo Pocket Football Club.

Correct!

I've downloaded both but I'm gonna start with NPFC.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Grabbing the demo now. It's 873 Nintendo Blocks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the basics on Mario Golf:

-8,192 blocks (1GB) required for digital download. PAL-land is doing a promo where you get Mario Golf GBC for free if you buy the new game on the eShop during the month of May.

-126 holes, 10 courses total. It seems like the wacky Mario-style courses are mostly 9 holes in length and the more standard courses are 18 holes in length.

-1-4 player tournaments both locally (multi-cart only) and online. The community feature from Mario Kart 7 is also available for Mario Golf, and it lets you set up custom tournaments with specific conditions/parameters. Nintendo will also be holding official tournaments sponsored by real-life golf club manufacturer Calloway, and participating in these tournaments may allow you to unlock exclusive Calloway-brand in-game equipment. Okay.

-Single-player modes include Castle Club, which has a hub world, NPCs, stat-boosting equipment unlocks for your Mii and a campaign to play through but isn't an RPG, and Quick Round which has all your usual standard and condition-based modes, as well as some challenge stuff.

-16 characters (not including Mii): Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Wario, Waluigi, Birdo, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Kamek, Koopa Troopa, Boo. You can also unlock "star" versions of each character with increased stats by meeting certain in-game conditions.

-DLC is coming, but Nintendo still ain't talking about what it is and/or how much it might cost.

-Demo's out now in PAL-land, next week in NA.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Rexroom posted:

I hate you. So much.

:ohdear: I really want to play that game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah it's pretty fun. If you've played Toadstool Tour you should know what to expect, it's basically that on a handheld. The demo has 9 holes, 3 each from Seaside Course, Wiggler Park and Yoshi Lake. You can also play the Ring Master and Star Coin Collector mini games but only one hole of each.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

-16 characters (not including Mii): Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap Jr., Crap , Waluigi, Crap , Crap , Crappy Kong , Crappy Kong, Krapek, Crap, Crap.
Day 1 purchase

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Totally nitpicking here, but...

They now have Auto and Manual shot as separate options you switch with a button on the touch screen, rather than the A->A Auto and A->B Manual, which would be neat except they don't allow you to press A->B anymore at all so it totally fucks with my muscle memory. (Super) Top/Backspin still works the same as before.

The camera works differently now, too... Like, on the Cube, you could use X to quick-scroll along the shot projection towards the impact point and use the C-Stick to fine-tune. X still does the same thing, except it stops kinda halfway along the projection line, and then you can move the camera freely along the horizontal plane with the circle pad, no height changing as far as I can tell. It's not bad, but it just kinda takes getting used to.

They also changed *something* with the way the shot projection is calculated, although I'm not exactly sure what. The impact point of the projected line is no longer identical with the terrain cursor.

Lastly, for some reason, they decided your character needed to do a "let's go!" or "here we go!" or whatever comment every five seconds you're not actually shooting, which is quite annoying!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not really a fan, but i've never played any of the others and don't really care for golf.

The demo didn't really sell me on the series, but the Yoshi course looks nice.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah the thing about the Mario Golf series (at least the ones I've played) is that they're less wacky than their other Mario branded sports games. The N64 Mario Golf was actually one of the better golf sims out at that time. You really have to enjoy golf as a game to get the most out of it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Does the Kirby Triple Deluxe Smash Bros mode require everyone to have a copy of the game, or can you do download-play?

And if it does, can you at least play online or against AI?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It supports download play and single-player, but no online.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Lastly, for some reason, they decided your character needed to do a "let's go!" or "here we go!" or whatever comment every five seconds you're not actually shooting, which is quite annoying!
Yeah, this is really annoying (you hear it about three times per shot) and I hope it's patched out of the final version.

Anyone have any feedback on Nintendo Pocket Football Club so far? Reviews aren't glowing :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sources are saying that Tomodachi's file size is only 3391 blocks, less than half a gig. I might try to actually download it at work this summer. Or maybe I'll just buy it physical because I'm the guy who bought Animal Crossing physical too.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Any word on whether or not Mario Golf will have a mini golf mode?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

So my 3DS has appeared to have bricked my SD card. I tried to download the Mario Golf demo and it started complaining about not being able to access the SD card. I already set a download going today that worked fine. Now every time I turn it on it complains about not being able to access the SD card, and none of my downloaded software is accessible. I've tried plugging it into my laptop, and it says it needs formatting. I've tried to format with both the built-in Windows tool, and the SD Association tool. The first one just throws up a generic error, while the second one says that the write-switch is on (it isn't, no other software says it is). My old 4GB card still works fine in the 3DS, so it's not the console. My laptop also reports the card size incorrectly, says it's 1GB but it's 16GB.

Is there anything I can do, or is it just hosed?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Earlier I asked how I can absorb one 3DS's licenses into my current 3DS. If the 3DS I am trying to absorb is brand new, do I have to log into my Nintendo account on there first when I go through the "first-time powered on" routine? Do I then just do a system transfer?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Level-5 Yokai Watch has really started to take off in Japan over the last couple of months, and now this... thing, is going viral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKLQXOj0ts

If by "thing" you mean, "Totally freaking adorable and that loving song will get stuck in your head for two days straight" then yes, it is A Thing.

The heck is this game, anyway? I've never heard of it!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RichterIX posted:

Earlier I asked how I can absorb one 3DS's licenses into my current 3DS. If the 3DS I am trying to absorb is brand new, do I have to log into my Nintendo account on there first when I go through the "first-time powered on" routine? Do I then just do a system transfer?

You just need to do the transfer.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Jawidar posted:

Yeah, this is really annoying (you hear it about three times per shot) and I hope it's patched out of the final version.

Anyone have any feedback on Nintendo Pocket Football Club so far? Reviews aren't glowing :(

I've played it for a couple of hours, I like it!

You have to understand that it's not very in-depth, especially with regards to tactics or managing the club as a whole, but I guess that is to be expected given the game's price. The presentation is super charming though - watching my rag-tag bunch of misfits turn a 0-2 into a 4-2 was great.

The part of the game that's incredibly in-depth is the training, there are so many possibilities, it's ridiculous.
These are the combos I've found so far:
Shooting + Freestyling = Controlled Shot
Passing + Freestyling = First-Touch Pass
Freestyling + Judo = Magic Trapping
Countering + Running = Overlapping
Marking + Pressuring = Iron Defence

Feel free to share any combos you've found.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silver Falcon posted:

If by "thing" you mean, "Totally freaking adorable and that loving song will get stuck in your head for two days straight" then yes, it is A Thing.

Level-5's answer to Pokemon, more or less, and they've been hinting at a localisation for a little while.

That song includes a verse where a guy blames yokai for making his poop smell bad, incidentally.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

SeANMcBAY posted:

You just need to do the transfer.

Alright, I'm feeling dumb now. I bought a 2DS Pokemon bundle from Target and want to transfer Pokemon to the XL I already own. The system transfer utility is saying that the target system will be wiped when I do this. Am I doing this in the wrong direction? Do I have to go from the new 2DS to the XL and back again? Sorry for my ignorance!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It fuses the accounts, so you wouldn't lose software, but you would likely use your Nintendo Network Account.

I'd probably transfer to the 2DS, wait until it lets you transfer again and then transfer back just to be safe.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RichterIX posted:

Alright, I'm feeling dumb now. I bought a 2DS Pokemon bundle from Target and want to transfer Pokemon to the XL I already own. The system transfer utility is saying that the target system will be wiped when I do this. Am I doing this in the wrong direction? Do I have to go from the new 2DS to the XL and back again? Sorry for my ignorance!

Transfer to the 2DS to get Pokemon then transfer back to the XL a week after to take Pokemon back with you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So having now had a couple hours with Fire Emblem, here are my thoughts thus far:

1: It's kind of dumb that you have to be a mage, if they're going to let you customize a character why would they limit your class?
2: Lon'Qu is completely ridiculous.
3: Stahl and Sully have become my super-team. I can basically just send them along a flank by themselves and let them wreck poo poo.
4: I am quite bad at this game. I had to repeat the farm boy mission repeatedly. Getting better though!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PantsBandit posted:

So having now had a couple hours with Fire Emblem, here are my thoughts thus far:

1: It's kind of dumb that you have to be a mage, if they're going to let you customize a character why would they limit your class?

You should play a little further in.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PantsBandit posted:

Good news! Once you get reclassing items, your avatar character can change to absolutely any class. (I think each gender has an exclusive class you'll be locked out of, though. Don't think you can be a Lord either)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

You get to change your class very early on. The second you get a Second Seal in fact.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh, awesome! I saw the second seal item but I didn't even think about using it on myself. That's good to hear, I always like playing thief characters in RPGs so I was disappointed that it seemed like the story just asserted that the PC was a mage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Oh, awesome! I saw the second seal item but I didn't even think about using it on myself. That's good to hear, I always like playing thief characters in RPGs so I was disappointed that it seemed like the story just asserted that the PC was a mage.

Your default class is Tactician actually. It can use both swords and magic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fuuuuuck Donnel is completely worthless when you first get him. It's such a bitch to get him to level up when he only does 4 damage per hit.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PantsBandit posted:

Fuuuuuck Donnel is completely worthless when you first get him. It's such a bitch to get him to level up when he only does 4 damage per hit.

Forge him a spear with a bunch of +damage.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Silver Falcon posted:

And by gone viral you guys mean this is from last summer. Its for the first one. No new version yet, but there is hope closer to release. This game makes the pokemon overworld look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Dunban posted:

I've played it for a couple of hours, I like it!

You have to understand that it's not very in-depth, especially with regards to tactics or managing the club as a whole, but I guess that is to be expected given the game's price. The presentation is super charming though - watching my rag-tag bunch of misfits turn a 0-2 into a 4-2 was great.

The part of the game that's incredibly in-depth is the training, there are so many possibilities, it's ridiculous.
These are the combos I've found so far:
Shooting + Freestyling = Controlled Shot
Passing + Freestyling = First-Touch Pass
Freestyling + Judo = Magic Trapping
Countering + Running = Overlapping
Marking + Pressuring = Iron Defence

Feel free to share any combos you've found.

Thanks for those combos. Is there a website that has a definitive listing of all the combos?

• Locked thread