Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This could be asked in many different threads but is there a website that people use to track games they have completed? Like Goodreads but for video games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I personally use Backloggery, but theres probably at least one or two others out there

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
So apparently Nippon Ichi are localizing that Dangan Ronpa thing people seem crazy about for NA and EU.

http://nihongogo.com/2013/07/nisa-brings-danganronpa-and-demon-gaze-to-the-west/

What really caught my eye was:

"The gameplay elements of “Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc” have been likened to that of the Ace Attorney series but at a faster pace. Chapters are broken down into 3 sections; Exposition, Investigation, and School Trial. Exposition concentrates on building relationships with the game’s other characters, much like Social Links in the Person series. Investigation, as the word implies involves you investigating crime scenes and School Trials are much like the courtroom word slinging of Phoenix Wright and company."

Has anyone played the series here yet?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's actually LPs of the first two games in that subforum.

Goon response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Mokinokaro posted:

There's actually LPs of the first two games in that subforum.

Goon response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I googled LP but don't know what that means. Libertarian Party was the first thing that came up.... :/

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Maybe check the Let's Play subforum.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I said come in! posted:

Ooh no, other studio's don't get a pass either. At least not with me. I don't buy those other games if they try to copy the CoD formula. I don't think i've enjoyed an FPS in a long time to be honest. CoD is just boring now. I think Destiny and TitanFall have a chance of shaking things up though.

I saw the gameplay reveal for Destiny @ E3 and the video looked a lot like Borderlands. Classes with unique abilities, loot random guns from bad guys. Very Borderlands-y. I want to know how much game will be in the disc at Christmas because they keep talking about "Ten-year plan!" which sounds like "Everything ever is DLC" to me.

Personally I think The Division could be a real dark horse for awesome multiplayer this Christmas. It'll probably be overlooked for BF4/COD.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Division is a 2014 game isn't it? I'd feel it has plenty of time to stretch its legs when it comes around, and even if I'm picking up BF4 along with my PS4 I'm still gonna grab The Division when it drops just because it looks so good.

Destiny really should have opened its unveiling with that gameplay video. Bungie disappeared so far up their own rear end when they announced that thing and I actively hated them for it until they showed it off at E3 and it was like "Hey, this actually looks pretty good!"

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've been holding out on checking the Dangan Ronpa LP since I figured it may eventually come stateside, but now I already know several spoilers about the game thanks to some of the forum goons' advertisements. Gee thanks guys! :waycool: :argh:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm loving thrilled that the game's coming to the states. Games like Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, 999 etc. are my favorite type of games and the Dangan Ronpa 1 lp absolutely blew my mind. I'm going to buy a Vita the day this comes out.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Destiny really should have opened its unveiling with that gameplay video. Bungie disappeared so far up their own rear end when they announced that thing and I actively hated them for it until they showed it off at E3 and it was like "Hey, this actually looks pretty good!"
I haven't played Borderlands but Destiny reminds me of it. Is that fair to say?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Housh posted:

I haven't played Borderlands but Destiny reminds me of it. Is that fair to say?

Yeah, it reminds me of Borderlands with a Halo aesthetic and MMO elements.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Hey if Destiny was straight up Borderlands without LE MY REDDIT MEEMEES WACKY INTERNET bullshit then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I didn't like the first Borderlands at all because I don't really like multiplayer that much and the guy I was playing with kept grinding without me so I wasn't having any fun. gently caress that boring game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Green Puddin posted:

Hey if Destiny was straight up Borderlands without LE MY REDDIT MEEMEES WACKY INTERNET bullshit then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You've never played Borderlands 2 have you.

Don't believe everything 4chan tells you bud.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Seedge posted:

I saw the gameplay reveal for Destiny @ E3 and the video looked a lot like Borderlands.

This is a great thing for me. I think the Borderlands series is one of the best series this generation. Something about collecting cool loot that is always random reminds me a lot of Diablo 2, except with actual fun gameplay.

At the moment I'm calling it Borderlands mixed with Guild Wars 2. The whole dynamic event system sounds really cool, I just really hope they don't take the negative aspects of MMOs and decide to put those into the game.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got a super slim and 3D Dot Game Heroes seems not to work on it at all. It gets through the titles and freezes or hits an endless "Now Loading..." screen. I looked around and the game seems to have caused issues in the past - does anybody have a solution or the ability to confirm that the game just won't work?

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption GOATEE edition from disc and it works fine so I'm pretty sure it's not the system's fault that 3D Dot doesn't work at all.

e: Washed the game disc and it works fine now.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 8, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Borderlands without the silliness sounds like a big step down to me though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alteisen posted:

Don't believe everything 4chan tells you bud.

Eeeeeh, I played it for a pretty long while and even I can agree that it started to get a little tiring to get a quest with a dated pop culture name, while playing as a character that occasionally shouts memes, while other characters shout tired memes, then turn it in to another guy with a slightly more relevant pop culture name. Though I'm not as bent out of shape over it as that guy seems to be.

I didn't hate the game or I wouldn't have played it as much as I did, but after a while I get a little worn out by it all. Though in general I'm not a huge fan of memes jumping out at me in games. I'm not saying everything has to be serious business 24/7, I don't mind subtle references or silly stuff you have to go off the beaten path a little to find, but there gets to be a point where the developers need to stop and think "Is this funny or just obnoxious?"

For example, this is something I could go without ever seeing in games. ("District 187" which is some awful F2P but still)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 8, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The other thing BL2 has going for it is colors. So many colors. Destiny looks better than a brown shooter but still not colorful enough for me.

edit: vvv I'm really not a fan of internet memes but I still found plenty of BL2 funny. Lots of stuff fell flat but lots didn't. And I didn't think of most of Blood Dragon as funny, but rather awesome.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 8, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Look at BL2 in comparison to Far Cry: Blood Dragon. It's a good example of a game that thinks its funny versus a game that actually is. BL2 just doesn't try, they through in "memes" and expect people to eat it up. Then they do.

:mad:

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 8, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There's some pretty funny jokes in Borderlands 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They both try too hard. One just appeals to you.

(It's because you're old.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

They both try too hard. One just appeals to you.

(It's because you're old.)

I just turned 18.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's videogame old.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, that's old enough to be a combat veteran in a JRPG anyway.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

Eeeeeh, I played it for a pretty long while and even I can agree that it started to get a little tiring to get a quest with a dated pop culture name, while playing as a character that occasionally shouts memes, while other characters shout tired memes, then turn it in to another guy with a slightly more relevant pop culture name. Though I'm not as bent out of shape over it as that guy seems to be.

I didn't hate the game or I wouldn't have played it as much as I did, but after a while I get a little worn out by it all. Though in general I'm not a huge fan of memes jumping out at me in games. I'm not saying everything has to be serious business 24/7, I don't mind subtle references or silly stuff you have to go off the beaten path a little to find, but there gets to be a point where the developers need to stop and think "Is this funny or just obnoxious?"

For example, this is something I could go without ever seeing in games. ("District 187" which is some awful F2P but still)

I've beaten the game 3 different characters and have no idea what you're talking about.

The challenge names I guess, a few mission names? Most of them seem to reference movies like WHAT'S IN THE BOX, but memes? I barely heard any during my time with the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Austrian mook posted:

Look at BL2 in comparison to Far Cry: Blood Dragon. It's a good example of a game that thinks its funny versus a game that actually is. BL2 just doesn't try, they through in "memes" and expect people to eat it up. Then they do.

One of the reasons I didn't get Blood Dragon was that I felt like I was being pandered to, and despite growing up with that stuff, I didn't even like much of those aesthetics back then.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

For me personally, when I look at Destiny I get the overall vibe of, "This is Borderlands done right" which may end up being incorrect, but the actual combat engine just looks so much better than the janky mess that is Borderlands.

The one thing Bungie have going for them I think, is that they know how to do entertaining and thrilling combat by utilizing really great AI and well-designed environments. I think Borderlands looks great and I love the art style and everything, but the game just falls apart for me when it comes to actual combat and gameplay, which is really bad compared to other shooters I think. So for me, to see a studio that knows how to make a good shooter tackle what Borderlands does is really exciting.

I just hope that Bungie don't take Destiny too seriously and still put fun things in there, like some kind of gravity hammer equivalent, and vehicles with physics as fun and entertaining as the warthog.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

blackguy32 posted:

One of the reasons I didn't get Blood Dragon was that I felt like I was being pandered to, and despite growing up with that stuff, I didn't even like much of those aesthetics back then.

You're awful.

As for FPSchat, I'm so glad I have Planetside 2 to fill that niche for me like no other game ever has, not even MAG. I find it interesting that no one is talking about it for PS4. At all.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
EDIT Wrong Thread

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 8, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So I tried to play Dungeon Defenders but the game does not seem to recognize any input from the left thumbstick. Looking around online, I see that this is a fairly common issue and no one has much of an idea what causes it.

1. How did they not catch a bug that major in QA?
2. Why have they not fixed it immediately?

If I'd paid for this game, I'd be pissed. But I didn't pay for it so it's on to the next game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Austrian mook posted:

I laughed at Butt Stallion just as hard as I did at the tutorial in Blood Dragon. I think you're just a grumpy, hard to please, picky gamer :colbert:

(Borderlands 2 is definitely more loaded with meme humor, and some of it fell flat for me, but overall I quite enjoyed it)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 8, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Butt Stallion is the best thing about Borderlands 2. That game was GOTY last year. BL2 also had the best DLC of any game in recent memory.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BL2 is a game that throws Bonerfarts as a name of monsters at you within 20 minutes of playing. I think that was about my level of acceptance of its humor.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I see people mention that one quest a lot when it comes to BL2, and I just don't get the problem with it. The whole point of that quest is the 'bonerfarts' is the stupidest possible name that Hammerlock could come up with, not that it's a super funny lolrandom name. It doesn't just 'throw it you as the name of a monster', it's part of a longer joke then it's gone.

edit - I can see where the joke as a whole might not be super funny to some people, but its more than just the dumb name. Ultimately it's one joke in a game with almost as many jokes as guns. Some are funny, some are not, and some barely warrant a groan. I just really enjoyed BL2 and don't understand how some people can just dismiss it as a lolrandom meme machine. There is some of that, but there is more too.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 8, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Syrinxx posted:

This could be asked in many different threads but is there a website that people use to track games they have completed? Like Goodreads but for video games?

Another recommendation for Backloggery here. You have to manually input everything, but that's a plus. All the semi-automated sites have incomplete lists, and Backloggery just lets you list it how you want to list it, and spits out all sorts of stats for you. It also has a nicely chill community feel to the place (there is a nest of bronies on there but easily avoided). Made a couple of chums on there, it's a good site.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

I see people mention that one quest a lot when it comes to BL2, and I just don't get the problem with it. The whole point of that quest is the 'bonerfarts' is the stupidest possible name that Hammerlock could come up with, not that it's a super funny lolrandom name. It doesn't just 'throw it you as the name of a monster', it's part of a longer joke then it's gone.

edit - I can see where the joke as a whole might not be super funny to some people, but its more than just the dumb name. Ultimately it's one joke in a game with almost as many jokes as guns. Some are funny, some are not, and some barely warrant a groan. I just really enjoyed BL2 and don't understand how some people can just dismiss it as a lolrandom meme machine. There is some of that, but there is more too.

Ya, I never found any of the jokes to be offensively bad, it's just one of those things you ignore when they're bad, and then chuckle at when they're not. The actual game, aside from the story and humor, is good enough to carry it when the jokes aren't landing. Then you get to something like the Torgue DLC intro, which I just started last night, and it's laugh out loud funny, at least for me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Anyone of you know if I can use a Namco NegCon through a PSX-USB converter with a PS3? Could it emulate a generic steering wheel in something like GT5, GT6(Demo), Ridge Racer 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
So I totally forgot that D&D: Chronicles of Mystaria was released. Bought it instantly when my friend saw it while I was grabbing my free PS+ games last night. Played through a few levels, lots of fun couch co-op (there's online too), can't wait to try with 4 people. Also, I remembered loving the game at the Arcade, but I didn't remembering it being this deep. Using items, spells, and skills on the fly takes getting used to (I'm playing the Elf), as well as using all the button commands that let you block, dodge, and several other things. So for the people looking for a good co-op game, I'd say this was worth $15. Haven't touched the second game yet either.

• Locked thread