Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If I don't know that some of the jokes are internet memes and laugh at them anyway, does that make me a bad person?

edit: what makes internet memes bad IMO is that they get run into the ground faster and harder than anything else. But if you aren't exposed to them and they are fresh, they can still be funny.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Chard posted:

I looked up Butt Stallion on one of the wikis and lost a few IQ points.

gently caress all y'all and your bad games

I'm sorry you get mad about people enjoying video games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm just going to enjoy my BL2 with my buddy over here, but it's alright if some of you don't enjoy the game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mucilaginous posted:

I'm sorry you get mad about people enjoying video games.

*triple snap* Whatever *throws Dung Pies on people in Dark Souls forever~*

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Borderlands 1 was a horrible shitfest if you didn't have people to play with. I still have nightmares about running backwards kiting enemies in that game. Is BL2 like this? I don't want to coop it.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Syrinxx posted:

Borderlands 1 was a horrible shitfest if you didn't have people to play with. I still have nightmares about running backwards kiting enemies in that game. Is BL2 like this? I don't want to coop it.

It's pretty strict as far as fighting dudes within one or two levels of yourself. Unless an enemy is 3+ levels higher than you, it's pretty rare to have to kite. Taking cover, and retreating to regenerate health are pretty typical strategies though, depending on your build.

edit: as far as solo play, I've played both solo (not the majority of the time by any means) and found them almost as fun, and just as challenging as co-op, so can't help you there

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Syrinxx posted:

I finished BL1 somewhat begrudgingly, mostly because I was bored with it. Despite owning all the DLC through a gameshare I never actually played any of it.

I've put 137 hours into BL2, 134 of which were solo hours. That includes full playthroughs with Zero, Maya and Gaige. I found that the special powers from each class gave me a lot more options than just running backwards, and I usually found the best course of action regardless of class was to be offensive and bring the fight to the enemies. If you're playing solo I think it's helpful to do a lot of the sidequests so that you can keep your level up. Also, if you're playing alone you may find that the TVHM stuff (new game plus) might be a bit too hard -- personally I just found it more fun to start with a new class, rather than bang my head against that wall too much.

My one major problem with BL2 is that it's overly stingy with the good loot. I know this is the PS3 thread, but if you have the option I'd recommend playing the PC version. You can tweak the drop rates into something a little more generous, which I find more fun. That being said, the first 60 or 70 hours I played were completely stock, so I think you can still have a good time on PS3 as well.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I like the humor in Borderlands 2, but it's one of the few games I can't play for any length of time because the headbob of your character moving around makes me nauseous. The only other game I can think of right now that does it to me is the new Deus Ex, and neither of them let you turn it off completely. I wish developers would realize that some people have difficulty with that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Syrinxx posted:

I had BL1 ruined in my MP playthrough by getting rushed through it by people on their tenth playthrough or whatever, so I missed 90% of the story and dialogue and had to go watch YouTube videos to hear Tanis' logs. What gameplay I remember was mostly boring bullet hose stuff with meatshield enemies, that's about it. I played the Siren and even the special abilities didn't add that much for me, so it would take a really, really hard sell to get me to give a poo poo about BL2.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neither of the Borderlands games are gonna be as fun if you don't co-op it with a friend, but 2 is a lot more fun in general than the first game was anyway.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 9, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Geomancing posted:

I like the humor in Borderlands 2, but it's one of the few games I can't play for any length of time because the headbob of your character moving around makes me nauseous. The only other game I can think of right now that does it to me is the new Deus Ex, and neither of them let you turn it off completely. I wish developers would realize that some people have difficulty with that.

Borderlands 2 is the only game I've ever played where the FOV has actually been noticeably bad. I usually don't find things like that to be a negative, but it's just awful in Borderlands 2. Even the largest, most massive areas feel tight and claustrophobic and it totally cramps the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New GTAV gameplay reveal; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI :eyepop: next-gen what? This game looks amazing. Video revealed way more then I ever expected from GTAV, there is so much to do and the gameworld looks incredible. Way more excited for this title then any of the next gen games coming out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really like the multiple protagonist gameplay where you can change back and forth.

I just hope that it feels more organic and not specifically planned at certain parts. Like being able to do that skyscraper mission multiple different ways.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah I really was not expecting the three protagonists to be a gameplay feature, I assumed it'd just be three separate stories.

But why does the character indicator always seem to have four spaces for heads instead of three?

Also holy cow I'm so glad they're piling on the features San Andreas style.

Edit: During the skyscraper scene the fourth head says "83 days" over it... some sort of in-game calendar? Does that tie into the hiring people for heists?

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 9, 2013

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
For anyone not following the GTAV thread, the gameplay trailer was posted today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Spoiler: it looks amazing

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like they cribbed all the good things from Red Dead.

Also I refuse to believe that's not running on a PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah there were some things I was skeptical about. Namely the graphics. Red Dead Redemption is one of the best looking console games and its still pixelated as all hell. This GTAV footage wasnt at all, and I remember the RDR footage being similarly misleading.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The button prompts are definitely Playstation, so they'd have to be being actively dishonest and misleading if they've edited the footage from the PC version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spalec posted:

The button prompts are definitely Playstation, so they'd have to be being actively dishonest and misleading if they've edited the footage from the PC version.

It doesn't need to be edited. They can play their 360/ps3 versions on the PC, and a lot of the time this is how its done during development.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It looks like something completely possible on a current-gen console, I don't know what you're on about.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I really hope the game looks that good and maintains a solid framerate on PS3, because if it does, I can see myself spending a lot of time playing that game. Very impressive gameplay reveal.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stare-Out posted:

It looks like something completely possible on a current-gen console, I don't know what you're on about.

I dunno, to maintain graphics like that the current consoles seem to always have to sacrifice any kind of antialiasing. The Last of Us is one of the best looking games for these machines and the aliasing drives me up the wall.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

epitasis posted:

Yeah I really was not expecting the three protagonists to be a gameplay feature, I assumed it'd just be three separate stories.

But why does the character indicator always seem to have four spaces for heads instead of three?

Also holy cow I'm so glad they're piling on the features San Andreas style.

Edit: During the skyscraper scene the fourth head says "83 days" over it... some sort of in-game calendar? Does that tie into the hiring people for heists?

That was the going rumor. It's either for a fourth member you hire for heists, or else there were some rumors of the possibility of being able to bring your multiplayer character into the singleplayer game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It pans over a bunch of dossiers of people stapled to the mission planning board when they guy says, 'and who to bring' so I imagine it's for those extraneous characters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My god that game looks incredible. Like, the new standard for games in general incredible.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Max Payne 3 aiming - hell yes!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Arrrrrgghh why isn't this coming to PS4 drat it Rockstar I don't wanna have to spend more money on PS3 things! :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Arrrrrgghh why isn't this coming to PS4 drat it Rockstar I don't wanna have to spend more money on PS3 things! :argh:
Yeah, it's games like that and Dark Souls 2 that make me wonder why I am thinking of getting a next-gen console at all, at least in the first six months or so.

edit: seriously though why wasn't Sony or MS able to harangue these developers into making these launch games on the next gen? They would have been system sellers unlike anything the world had ever seen.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 9, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I think I won't need a PS4 for a while. :stare:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Part of me secretly wishes they'll release an updated version in a year year 1/2 for the PS4/XBONE, but given how long V has been in development for current consoles, I wonder how fast porting/development for the new ones could be done.

Of course if they're working on the secret PC port, :getin:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Harlock posted:

Of course if they're working on the secret PC port, :getin:

Gonna be hard for me to hold out and make sure this isn't true before just buying it on PS3.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
http://nihongogo.com/2013/07/tokyo-jungle-mobile-hits-the-playstation-store/

Lots of sales this week at the PS Store.

Looking forward to buying Simpsons Arcade and Star Wars Unleashed when I get home. Anyone who bought or has experience with Tokyo Jungle Mobile care to share a trip report?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's games like that and Dark Souls 2 that make me wonder why I am thinking of getting a next-gen console at all, at least in the first six months or so.

edit: seriously though why wasn't Sony or MS able to harangue these developers into making these launch games on the next gen? They would have been system sellers unlike anything the world had ever seen.

Probably because it's not financially sound? The install base for PS3 and 360 is probably a hundredfold what PS4 and The Bone will sell in 2013.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I was already planning on getting GTA5, but this just makes me more excited :neckbeard:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Probably because it's not financially sound? The install base for PS3 and 360 is probably a hundredfold what PS4 and The Bone will sell in 2013.
Well, have it on all four platforms I mean, but have the next gen ones be clearly better.

I hope GTA5 has an honest to god no bullshit fast travel system so far. You can make it in-world as a taxi service or whatever but it needs to be reliable and fast, unlike 4.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Feenix posted:

Plus this had to have been in the works way before anything next gen. This isn't Call of Duty where you can churn it out yearly and just have the new consoles get a nicer looking version.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DangerKat posted:

For anyone not following the GTAV thread, the gameplay trailer was posted today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Spoiler: it looks amazing

Not going to lie, that looks real drat good. I'm going to wait for a price drop, though, as I'd have my fill of open world nonsense from Saints Row 4. Also, in light of recent events that "...maybe I won't be dead by 35." kind of stings a little.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

I had BL1 ruined in my MP playthrough by getting rushed through it by people on their tenth playthrough or whatever, so I missed 90% of the story and dialogue and had to go watch YouTube videos to hear Tanis' logs. What gameplay I remember was mostly boring bullet hose stuff with meatshield enemies, that's about it. I played the Siren and even the special abilities didn't add that much for me, so it would take a really, really hard sell to get me to give a poo poo about BL2.

This has been my biggest problem with online RPG-ish experiences, that and a real punishment for level discrepancies. Joining any game it's basically a speedrun for anyone who's been there once before so you lose all bits of the thrill of discovery and getting a chance to drink in the world. BL2's not super dense or anything and they generally point you towards all those nice audio backstories but they're immediately lose when someone starts another one or you zone too fast. It's especially bad when you get to Sanctuary and there are a half dozen new missions and you lose all of that flavor text. "Remember when we...Hey there...It's me Sir Hamm...Catcharide!"

On the other part, I can't fathom why they don't implement some kind of City of Heroes system where you downgrade overleveled people or upgrade underleveled people with just scaled health and damage. They'll be short on abilities and all of that but at least you can play with your friends who don't have perfect sync with your play schedule. I guess the Borderlands style loot ninja-ing means you can't give people being handicapped/boosted appropriate loot but surely they could do something like that in a Diablo game, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder, does the fact that the story missions in GTA5 are heists planned by your characters mean the abandonment of the "find NPC on the map, do what they tell you even though you hate their guts" thing about previous GTA games is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder, does the fact that the story missions in GTA5 are heists planned by your characters mean the abandonment of the "find NPC on the map, do what they tell you even though you hate their guts" thing about previous GTA games is gone?

No, there will still be "find guy and do mission" stuff. The heists will be more like the heist in San Andreas, a bunch of optional missions that revolve around you getting the stuff you need to pull a heist, and then doing it. I'd imagine there's other stuff to the story.

• Locked thread