Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

vmdvr posted:

You can actually see this in the documentary. Their words say that the game sold fine, but if you look at their faces, you can see the actual sales numbers.
Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Ubi forced it on them for whatever reason, it wasn't Ancel and his team's decision.

Forced what? The bug?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arbite posted:

Forced what? The bug?
The title.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

The scene I'm thinking of goes something like "The sales have met expectations :("

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think them splitting Broken Age in two last minute really killed potential sales. Because new adventure games sell well, just look at Telltale and DONTNOD seems to be doing well off of Life is Strange.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Accordion Man posted:

I think them splitting Broken Age in two last minute really killed potential sales. Because new adventure games sell well, just look at Telltale and DONTNOD seems to be doing well off of Life is Strange.

Totally. I bought it because I had heard good things but I told everyone I knew to just wait for act 2. No one wants to play an unfinished game without a strict time table for when it will be completed. I forgive Tell Tale for this nonsense because the episodes are always great self contained stories and they have never failed to deliver on what they promised in a reasonable time frame.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Talorat posted:

Totally. I bought it because I had heard good things but I told everyone I knew to just wait for act 2. No one wants to play an unfinished game without a strict time table for when it will be completed. I forgive Tell Tale for this nonsense because the episodes are always great self contained stories and they have never failed to deliver on what they promised in a reasonable time frame.

This seems to be the thing people are having trouble with figuring out for "episodic" games - you can't just release the first half or third or whatever of a complete story and call it an "episode" - episodes are a specific storytelling format where you have a self-contained story that (maybe) ties into a larger story. Admittedly there have been quite a lot of TV shows breaking the whole "self-contained story in each episode" rule recently, but that's not an excuse for games to do it too.

Bear in mind I haven't played Broken Age at all so this isn't a comment on that specifically, just a larger trend in games in general.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

But they like it, though. If someone likes something, you can't say they don't want it. It's you who doesn't want it. I always see people saying this and it's pretty selfish. Yeah. You don't like something. You aren't everyone, though. And if there's anything that's true about the internet, it's that the majority have taste wildly and inexplicably differing from everyone else. But that doesn't make them wrong. They're not crazy people who don't know what they want but randomly ask for things anyway. They know what they want and they get it and continue to be pleased by it, which may or may not be the problem here.

here's the thing. people have a hard time understand why they like something.

people thought they wanted adventure game logic puzzles, because "act 1 was too easy", and the traditional way to make something harder is to add a puzzle, but i think what they really wanted was some form of pause in the gameplay. and "too easy" often means "it was too short".

so, when somebody says "i want puzzles", you have to start digging down into that, find their real point of concern ("the game was too short"), and then find ways to address that. maybe that does indeed mean adding a puzzle or two, maybe that means adding more locations to explore, more dialog to go through, more character development and story, things to find, secrets to collect.

maybe that even means cutting out an entire section of gameplay that didn't work out as intended. it was trying to be a puzzle or a challenge but it was just fairly boring and monotonous. the puzzle was so easy that it was just the slow walk time to get from point a to point b and use the item. counterintuitively, removing a puzzle can stop the complaints of "i want more puzzles".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

here's the thing. people have a hard time understand why they like something.

people thought they wanted adventure game logic puzzles, because "act 1 was too easy", and the traditional way to make something harder is to add a puzzle, but i think what they really wanted was some form of pause in the gameplay. and "too easy" often means "it was too short".

so, when somebody says "i want puzzles", you have to start digging down into that, find their real point of concern ("the game was too short"), and then find ways to address that. maybe that does indeed mean adding a puzzle or two, maybe that means adding more locations to explore, more dialog to go through, more character development and story, things to find, secrets to collect.

maybe that even means cutting out an entire section of gameplay that didn't work out as intended. it was trying to be a puzzle or a challenge but it was just fairly boring and monotonous. the puzzle was so easy that it was just the slow walk time to get from point a to point b and use the item. counterintuitively, removing a puzzle can stop the complaints of "i want more puzzles".

That's a big problem in general with complaints about games.

What people say is not really often what they mean. If you do nothing but listen to the loudly voiced complaints you'll end up leaving people just as unhappy because it's extremely rare for people to express what they really mean. A lot of complaints about games try to boil themselves down to 'objective' things because it's a lot easier to point to a solid conformable thing that it is to explain something more intangible. It's easier to say "this game was only (x) hours long, it's too short" when you actually mean "It was poorly paced so I was left wanting more and it did not come to a satisfying climax" or whatnot.

Taking fan feedback can be poisonous if you're not careful. It's why so many sequels make basic fuckups when they are trying to appeal to complaints about previous games.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This seems to be the thing people are having trouble with figuring out for "episodic" games - you can't just release the first half or third or whatever of a complete story and call it an "episode" - episodes are a specific storytelling format where you have a self-contained story that (maybe) ties into a larger story. Admittedly there have been quite a lot of TV shows breaking the whole "self-contained story in each episode" rule recently, but that's not an excuse for games to do it too.

what the gently caress?

Yes, all these new-fangled drama TV shows are doing episodes all the wrong way. We can't let them win the war on definitions!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I backed Broken Age but have yet to play the first part because I was waiting for the whole thing to be released. I guess that may back fire on me when I get around to it if the second part is tonally different.

With Doublefine's issue I think they have put themselves in a weird place with their documentary which gives the expectation that they are very open about everything, which means there is increased scrutiny whenever they did any seemingly sudden decision like revealing Broken Age would be split just after the Massive Chalice kickstarter. And then there was the Spacebase issue of course, which was inexcusable.

CottonWolf posted:

My impression is that the Kickstarter games that actually come out tend have a considerably better hit rate with respect to quality than most other games. Sure there are some duds, but proportionally, they seem to be much fewer. Of course, you also have the issue that quite a few of the games that people have pre-paid for never actually make it to market.
This was from a few pages back but I definitely agree with this. I've been happy with nearly all my backed games that have come out, which range from decent to fantastic.

With the ones that haven't come out, I'm somewhat surprised at how few are fully dead or fall into complete silence. It's far more common for them to slip into slowdown and still post updates every few months or so.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
fyi, the role of taking feedback, evaluating it, trying to really understand it, condense it, and fix the underlying issues is known as a "designer".

careful observation, deconstruction, inventive solutions to solve multiple competing problems, and understanding user issues are the hallmarks of an excellent designer.

i really recommend that everybody, at least once, try to play through a game, really think hard about why you're enjoying it, generally deconstruct it, and if there are annoying, tedious, or just bad parts, try and figure out what's going wrong. what could they have done differently, and why don't i like this?

i could ramble on about clever game design forever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Y'all forgot about RaNcIdPscHoJoSh, huh?

Anyway:

So, out of nowhere, the Twitter account associated with those IGA/8-4/Kickstarter teases has started tweeting again:

https://twitter.com/Quarterwomann/status/594315057082683392

https://twitter.com/Quarterwomann/status/594325576594296832

This showed up on a few CV sites today, posted by new member "IGAVANIA":

quote:

The first sign rises with the full moon.

Soon, I will return.

There's a full moon on May 4, incidentally...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fuuuuck I said I wouldn't get suckered by famous names and nostalgia but

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what names?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Broken Age could've done alot more if it's whole loving staff wasn't living in one of the most expensive cities in the whole country. Like nevermind that the alloted budget was 200k-300k, most of that was paying for some loving rediculous housing, taxes, food, gas, and whatever else those dorks want. It also doesn't help that there was 'big names' working on it, who wanted a higher grade of pay than you need for a game of it's type.

It's just a huge clusterfuck. It could have done significantly better with it's money, much like ALOT of kickstarter games that have big names involved.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 3, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Unholy Ghost posted:

what the gently caress?

Yes, all these new-fangled drama TV shows are doing episodes all the wrong way. We can't let them win the war on definitions!

His point about episodes and games is right though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

epitasis posted:

what names?

Koji Igarashi, probably Michiru Yamana and Ayano Kojima.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Something I've realized about Yooka-Laylee - the announcement of a new Banjo-Kazooie at E3 in June (which begins the day the YL Kickstarter ends) has been teased. That's going to be really interesting. Not only are fans going to have doubts about a new BK game's quality, they're going to have something to compare it to and judge it by. Imagine the fanart! "You had your chance, squarenose!"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

Something I've realized about Yooka-Laylee - the announcement of a new Banjo-Kazooie at E3 in June (which begins the day the YL Kickstarter ends) has been teased. That's going to be really interesting. Not only are fans going to have doubts about a new BK game's quality, they're going to have something to compare it to and judge it by. Imagine the fanart! "You had your chance, squarenose!"
As a pessimist I'd be more worried about the increased chance of a legal slap-fight.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Trapezium Dave posted:

As a pessimist I'd be more worried about the increased chance of a legal slap-fight.

Microsoft is obviously going to wait until they officially have the money in their hands.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I wouldn't be too surprised if Microsoft ends up their publisher and Yooka-Laylee turns into an official Banjo spinoff.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

kode54 posted:

Microsoft is obviously going to wait until they officially have the money in their hands.

Imagine if PlayTonic then collected Kickstarter money for the ensuing lawsuit. I wonder if that's even legal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Considering the whip I don't see what else it could be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if Microsoft ends up their publisher and Yooka-Laylee turns into an official Banjo spinoff.

For one thing, people just gave a million dollars to Yooko-Laylee, not Banjo-Kazooie (even though we all really want BK). They're committed to YL. For another, they've committed to PC and PS3 day one releases, so Microsoft has no interest.

Microsoft would have no real grounds to sue. Maybe re: the logo similarity, but on the overall game... game ripoffs have a longstanding precedent.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 3, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MikeJF posted:

Microsoft would have no real grounds to sue. Maybe re: the logo similarity, but on the overall game... game ripoffs have a longstanding precedent.

Yeah. Even if Yooka and Laylee's moves are similar to Banjo and Kazooie, the same could easily be said of Ratchet and Clank. If they change the logo, I honestly wouldn't mind because I think it's a little uninspired anyway.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

For one thing, people just gave a million dollars to Yooko-Laylee, not Banjo-Kazooie (even though we all really want BK). They're committed to YL. For another, they've committed to PC and PS3 day one releases, so Microsoft has no interest.

The problem I see is that Yooka-Laylee isn't just inspired by Banjo-Kazooie, it's deliberately brushing up against the Banjo trademark. I don't know if it crosses the line but I'm afraid it's close enough to make a Microsoft IP lawyer twitchy. I suspect nothing happening is the most likely scenario but it's a distinct possibility that Microsoft will move to protect their brand somehow and then it's a question of how hardball they want to play.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
how is it brushing up against the banjo trademark

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I think they could potentially be legally justified, but it would bring them nothing but incredibly bad press, and it's a real stretch, even with the logo. It would be a bad move for them.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also for microsoft to start a hefty lawsuit over a lookalike video game from the creators of the same game would be literally the worst pr move they could ever take

they will not take it

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Worst case scenario, they have to change the font of their title. Oh no. How to live with this predicament?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

how is it brushing up against the banjo trademark
It's literally called Ukulele.

Honestly I think the most likely worst case scenario is they have to change the name.

Edit: Thinking it through, it really is just the name that's throwing me. I would be far too paranoid to run with a name as close as that.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 3, 2015

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's literally called Ukulele.

Honestly I think the most likely worst case scenario is they have to change the name.

Edit: Thinking it through, it really is just the name that's throwing me. I would be far too paranoid to run with a name as close as that.

Do you have some specific reason to think this? I just can't really see how two games having completely different stringed instruments in their names which don't sound alike at all would be a problem. Unless Microsoft trademarked all usage of musical instruments in video game titles?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

Do you have some specific reason to think this? I just can't really see how two games having completely different stringed instruments in their names which don't sound alike at all would be a problem. Unless Microsoft trademarked all usage of musical instruments in video game titles?

You didn't hear about Microsoft suing Activision over Guitar Hero?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

I think large companies are considerable paranoid about trademarks. Combined with how naturally paranoid I am too. :tinfoil:

The problem with trademarks is that, unlike copyright, companies need to actively defend them or risk losing them. So the impression I have is that lawyers tend to be really jumpy about anything that gets too close to a trademark.

The thing about Yooka-Laylee is that they're obviously trying to step around the egg-shells of trademarks while still deliberately trying to be as "Banjo-Kazooie" as possible. It's the latter part that seems excessively risky to me when there's a large legal department on the other end.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I read a comment somewhere suggesting Hideo Kojima launch a Kickstarter for Alloy Tool Firma, a stealth action game starring Firma Serpent. Probably fighting Softy Serpent and Magnum Serval.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Boy will there be egg on your face when they announce Battletoads: Origins

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

sinking belle posted:

Boy will there be egg on your face when they announce Battletoads: Origins

No, there will jizz on my face because that would be awesome.

Unless it turns out that it takes cues from the darkly humorous and super-bloody arcade game (seriously, look it up) and it's hinted that it takes place immediately after the origin story in the cartoon in which case the jizz will reach so far it'll hit yours.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I don't think there is any copy right infringement going on. Otherwise Asylum films, creators of such cinematic masterpieces as Transmorphers, Hunter vs Alien, and Atlantic Rim, would have been hit a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Mighty No. 9 didn't get bring on any lawsuits, so I'm pretty sure everybody else is okay.