Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

Is it just me or is this comic endorsing Nazism?

No no no! It's okay! They're oppressing Muslims!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

:drat:

Seriously, this is one of the sharpest cartoons I've seen in a long while.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah, that one's really good. What's the source image?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

It's an abolitionist cartoon by Josiah Wedgwood.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's an abolitionist cartoon by Josiah Wedgwood.

The image also featured quite heavily in one of the more memorable quiet moments in Bioshock Infinite, which is certainly where I saw it first.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Somfin posted:

I don't get the reference. Can someone enlighten me?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

hhhat posted:

In addition to the slavery images above, Guantanamo Bay prisoners in their outdoor time-

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm pretty sure Payne only has one Smugbama head and he keeps on pasting it into every single goddamn cartoon.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm pretty sure Payne only has one Smugbama head and he keeps on pasting it into every single goddamn cartoon.

Head? Yes. Expression? No.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hhhat posted:

That image was really central to the British abolitionist movement, which was the first successful movement to eliminate slavery in a Western country and one of the first examples of successful civil society activism.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, it really is. That was one of the more striking anti-slavery propaganda pieces. I find it particularly striking since the original and the update both involve issues/eras where there are John Browns who believe "that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away, but with blood."

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

In addition to the slavery images above, Guantanamo Bay prisoners in their outdoor time-

Thanks - knew about the abolitionist piece, not about the Guantanamo outfits. Dude looked like a raver that got lost somewhere.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mike the TV posted:

This is really, really depressing. And that cartoon is a fuckin slam dunk :thurman:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

whitey delenda est posted:

This is really, really depressing.

What disturbs me about Guantanamo is that I can't think of a single goddamn reason to keep the place active anymore. It has done so much damage to the country's reputation, it's caused so much obvious pain to so many people, and I can't imagine the mindset of any of the people who work there. The only reason I can think of to keep it open is that there's something going on there that is even more horrible than what has already been leaked. The people who make the decision, every year, to keep the thing running must actually think that the ongoing damage is worth it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Redeye Flight posted:

Yes, Tinsley. Yes. You're so close.

Go on. What else can we not all be at the same time?

Sober.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

What disturbs me about Guantanamo is that I can't think of a single goddamn reason to keep the place active anymore. It has done so much damage to the country's reputation, it's caused so much obvious pain to so many people, and I can't imagine the mindset of any of the people who work there. The only reason I can think of to keep it open is that there's something going on there that is even more horrible than what has already been leaked. The people who make the decision, every year, to keep the thing running must actually think that the ongoing damage is worth it.

The only thing I can think of is that the people inside have been mistreated so horribly that there really isn't anything to do with them but keep them there. What are they gonna do with their freedom, not devote their lives to taking down America?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That has to be the most Kafkaesque thing I've ever heard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

loquacius posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the people inside have been mistreated so horribly that there really isn't anything to do with them but keep them there. What are they gonna do with their freedom, not devote their lives to taking down America?

Well, that, and look what happened when we just let 5 of them out. Letting people out of there is such a clusterfuck of WEAK ON TERROR that augh those poor people in there.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

pkfan2004 posted:

Head? Yes. Expression? No.

Okay, I'm getting a Clone High vibe with that image. Am I weird?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Basically the problem is that there's actually nowhere for Guantanamo inmates to go. There are people locked up there who have been completely cleared, but some can't be released because their home country won't accept them due to the stigma associated with being a detainee. For those who can potentially be repatriated, there's no guarantee that they won't be tortured by foreign governments. The alternative is to send them to a third country which is understandably complex, or to put them through the American legal system which lol, congress has barred the government from doing. The US has realised that it's tough to get rid of people you've tortured for years who may understandably be inclined to radicalism, and their solution is "welp too bad I guess".

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Mister Beeg posted:

Okay, I'm getting a Clone High vibe with that image. Am I weird?

No, I thought about it too.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during Obama's post-election discussions with whomever he consults about something like Gitmo. He made if such a major component of his 2008 campaign that I have to think he intended to do it. Then he got there and someone got in his ear and he concluded that he couldn't close it even though it meant breaking a major campaign promise that was very much on the record many times.

Considering how much gets made of politicians just changing their minds about something (gotcha you dirty flip flopper!) he had to know he was handing political opponents a major gift. But he was clearly convinced this was the path he had to take. I would really love to know why.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BBJoey posted:

or to put them through the American legal system which lol, congress has barred the government from doing. The US has realised that it's tough to get rid of people you've tortured for years who may understandably be inclined to radicalism, and their solution is "welp too bad I guess".

Your legislative is actually able to forbid people your country considers criminals from being prosecuted under your country's own legal system? That's rich. :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Considering how much gets made of politicians just changing their minds about something (gotcha you dirty flip flopper!) he had to know he was handing political opponents a major gift.

Was he though? I mean, no Democrat wanted to challenge Obama for the 2012 nomination, and we all know drat well that no Republican will ever dare criticize him for not closing Guantánamo, when a big chunk of their racist fearmongering is about how B-Rock The Islamic Shock is going to set all the terrorists free and give the Taliban our nuclear launch codes.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Randler posted:

Your legislative is actually able to forbid people your country considers criminals from being prosecuted under your country's own legal system? That's rich. :allears:

They're able to block people from being sent to their own states' prisons, as I understand it. And they've all done that because TERRISTS IN MAH BACKYARD so, welp.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Was he though? I mean, no Democrat wanted to challenge Obama for the 2012 nomination, and we all know drat well that no Republican will ever dare criticize him for not closing Guantánamo, when a big chunk of their racist fearmongering is about how B-Rock The Islamic Shock is going to set all the terrorists free and give the Taliban our nuclear launch codes.

I think in this case the gift he was handing them was that they could claim bipartisan consensus on the issue validated GWB doing it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

VitalSigns posted:

They wouldn't have to say that Guantanamo should be closed to criticize him, just point out that he is a big old liar/promise breaker and thus not presidential material. They'd have film of him promising it over and over and over. That kind of "gotcha" can be very damaging in the game of soundbyte politics.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Thermos H Christ posted:

They wouldn't have to say that Guantanamo should be closed to criticize him, just point out that he is a big old liar/promise breaker and thus not presidential material. They'd have film of him promising it over and over and over. That kind of "gotcha" can be very damaging in the game of soundbyte politics.

See: George H. W. Bush; "Read my lips: no new taxes"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Okayyy, but then you can't campaign on "we kept the Muslim president from letting the terrists go" simultaneously. At least with GHW Bush, Clinton was also promising not to raise taxes in the campaign so criticizing Bush's promise made sense.

Seriously, the campaign ads would have looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey7GKNpl4Q

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

VitalSigns posted:

Okayyy, but then you can't campaign on "we kept the Muslim president from letting the terrists go" simultaneously. At least with GHW Bush, Clinton was also promising not to raise taxes in the campaign so criticizing Bush's promise made sense.

They could have gone after Obama by saying he was a neophyte who didn't know what he was talking about and made big promises not based on knowledge or principle, but just because the wind was blowing that way and he wanted to be elected. Once he got elected he promptly broke that promise because it turns out GWB was right and we do need Guantanamo. The Republicans had been saying that all along. They had the smarts to know what needed to be done and the courage to speak their minds even if it was unpopular at the time. Obama is a lying snake and a hack who can't be trusted not to change course whenever it suits him. Don't vote for Barack Obama.

Of course they ended up running Mitt Romney on the platform of repealing RomneyCare ObamaCare, and Romney's campaign outright said it wasn't fair to bring up positions he took in the primaries, so maybe they didn't have a whole lot room to go after Obama for changing his tune.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
edit, nevermind. Enough beret chat already.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Seems pretty realistic to me.

:stare:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 10, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This is why it should be legal for me to own a fully operational FGM-148 Javelin.

Also I want to take it with me to get tacos.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So some guy who wrote what I'm sure is an entirely objective look at "the truth" about global warming has filed a human rights complaint against the Victoria Times-Colonist for running this cartoon:

Not sure if the video is viewable outside :canada:, but he claims that the cartoon is ignorant and intended to incite hatred and then compares it to homophobia, anti-semitism and racism.

Eat your heart out, Rick Perry.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

June 4

June 8

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I get what Two Bulls is trying to say with this comic, but it doesn't really work. An African-American wearing a traditional African dress would be perfectly acceptable, it should be a White dude or something.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Somfin posted:

The facility exists for purely political reasons, to sustain the narrative that tens of millions of bearded psychos are dog paddling across the oceans to cut out heads off with steak knives. There is at least one person there that is innocent if not most of them, some of them have already been cleared of charges without even a trial. They are in limbo, the discarded campaign posters for a narrative that is already obsolete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_longer_enemy_combatant

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Obama's lumpy "realistic" face looks extra weird when it's juxtaposed with the main characters' minimalist cartoon faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Obamasteen went heavy on the rouge today.

• Locked thread