Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dead Blue Sky posted:

In one of the Face missions in Sleeping Dogs, you have to do a terrible job of singing karaoke. It's cool because Wei will actually sing off key if you mess up. I picked "Take On Me" and I was laughing the entire time, especially the big finish "In a... :byodood:DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

I did that song twice and maybe my ears deceived me but I don't think it actually sounded different when I aced it. MY IMMERSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I wonder what happens if you ace the song during that mission.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

clownskull posted:

I sang girls just want to have fun terribly during that mission, and when they left, I sang it again and 100%ed it in the room all by myself. it was a very :unsmith: moment.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
At the very end of the game, after all the poo poo went down, I went to the karaoke bar and sang by myself while wearing the police outfit you wear at the end. Somehow seemed like the most appropriate end for Wei.

Edit: It was during the daytime, so there were no customers in the club, and the bartender and hostesses were cleaning up from the night before. Even more appropriate.

The Macaroni has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Oct 30, 2012

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

This is the first piece of information that has really made me want Sleeping Dogs.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

clownskull posted:

Someone posted a screenshot; it says something like "YOU DIDN'T SUCK ENOUGH" on the Mission Fail screen.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm finally getting around to GTA4 now that I have a controller for my PC. I decided to get Niko hammered, but because I was with an NPC I didn't want to drive home and risk having to do the drat mission again. So I'm stumbling around, and instead of yelling out "Taxi!" or "Over here!" like normal, he just belts out "YELLOW CAR!!!" in this incredible, miserably :gonk: voice. It was great and I laughed a lot.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Someone posted a screenshot; it says something like "YOU DIDN'T SUCK ENOUGH" on the Mission Fail screen.

Yeah, I intended to do the mission properly but when I saw that it unlocked "Take on Me" there wasn't any drat way I wasn't going to do that song and ace it. You're trying to suck because a guy at the club is trying to convince his girlfriend that real men can't sing because he's terrible at karaoke and doesn't want to embarrass himself. If you do it well, she says "What are you talking about, <guy's name>, he was awesome! ;-*" and the guy will be like "drat it, man! I'll never get laid now!" and then "FAVOR FAILED: YOU DIDN'T SUCK ENOUGH."

In other news, Assassin's Creed III has dogs you can pet and feed in between hacking up redcoats with a tomahawk. I haven't even played the game yet (it's my roommate's game) but I'm going to go ahead and give it a ten out of ten on that basis alone.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
In Dishonored (hell of a game) I came upon some unsuspecting guard and pointed my crossbow right into his skull. He turned around to face me and I saw he wasn't a guard at all, but some innocent passerby. He looked at me wide-eyed and terrified for a long time, until I lowered my crossbow.

He closed his eyes and breathed a sigh of relief.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cptInsane0 posted:

I sang girls just want to have fun terribly during that mission, and when they left, I sang it again and 100%ed it in the room all by myself. it was a very :unsmith: moment.

Wait, seriously? I did exactly the same thing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

In other news, Assassin's Creed III has dogs you can pet and feed in between hacking up redcoats with a tomahawk. I haven't even played the game yet (it's my roommate's game) but I'm going to go ahead and give it a ten out of ten on that basis alone.
And cats and goats and chickens and pigs and cows too!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you raise crops, too? Did Ubisoft inadvertently recreate Harvest Moon in their killing guys game?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The cows look at you and moo when you pet them :3:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, seriously? I did exactly the same thing.

I'm pretty sure everyone did it. It's a matter of honor.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Chard posted:

I'm finally getting around to GTA4 now that I have a controller for my PC. I decided to get Niko hammered, but because I was with an NPC I didn't want to drive home and risk having to do the drat mission again. So I'm stumbling around, and instead of yelling out "Taxi!" or "Over here!" like normal, he just belts out "YELLOW CAR!!!" in this incredible, miserably :gonk: voice. It was great and I laughed a lot.

Man if you can find Nico's misery hilarious you're going to love that game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone did it. It's a matter of honor.

Yup, so did I. I wasn't about to let that measly 4% stand beside my average ranking of 96%

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Chard posted:

That is doubly hilarious because the Russian for "taxi" is "taksi." So "yellow car" is significantly harder to remember.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

In other news, Assassin's Creed III has dogs you can pet and feed in between hacking up redcoats with a tomahawk.

They wag their tails and look real happy, too.

In other AC3 things, in one conversation with Rebecca Subject 16 is finally mentioned by name (Clay.) I friggin love the crazy dead guy, so it made me really happy that him and his lunatic puzzles aren't forgotten.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Oct 31, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Actually Subject 16's been named before ACIII. He's the central character in The Lost Archive DLC in Revelations. Also, I really wish I had the money for ACIII. :negative: (Paying off a WiiU preorder).

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Yeah, I know, but never by the main characters.

Yes, this matters to me. I am special level of dork.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

cptInsane0 posted:

I did the same thing with some Steely Dan and, for one brief, shining moment, felt like that sort of mother fucker who was so cool that he didn't actually need to be told so. 70s rock is kind of awesome that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OK Octopus posted:

I did the same thing with some Steely Dan and, for one brief, shining moment, felt like that sort of mother fucker who was so cool that he didn't actually need to be told so. 70s rock is kind of awesome that way.

I think part of what makes the kareoke minigame awesome is that Wei's VO sounds like he's having a blast the whole time.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
I'm playing the new version of Need For Speed: Most Wanted right now, and I saw a rainbow in my windshield when the sun hit it right after it rained.

cot drat ea.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Chard posted:

The best is, sometimes he will just scream at the taxi, no words, just "AAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best is, sometimes he will just scream at the taxi, no words, just "AAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!"

Drunk Niko is my favorite Niko. My favorite moment in the whole of GTA IV was the time I took the Irish girl on a date to some place, and we both got blitzed. A few hours later Niko and girl are helplessly wandering the street outside. For those of you who haven't played, being drunk essentially renders the character extremely hard to control. He will fall over, swerve, walk into things. Anyway, the girl's a real mean drunk, berating and belittling Niko, stopping onto to burst into tears occasionally. Niko says something like "Shuuuurt uuuuuurp woooor-maaaaan" as I try and hail a cab, stumble into the road and gets Meet-Joe-Blacked by two taxis.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I didn't even realize it until now, but IV's drunk mode is way more fun than RDR's because you get all of the motion blur (really cool at night with all of the lights) and camera bobbing action. Plus drunken companions staggering around into traffic and being all belligerent.

Jonesing so hard for GTA V now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

GTA IV stuff

:ssh: Go watch the "GTAIV Bloopers, Glitches and Silly Stuff" series of videos on Youtube. Some of them are amazing in what the guy pulls off. Or just plain funny.

And just to join in on the GTA IV stuff; The Swingset near the amusement park. If you hit it just right, the physics on it bugs out and catapults you (or the car you're in) high and far across the street.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
It is a complicated drunk driving simulator. Some might say over complicated. All you really need is a slightly toned down intoxication effect and it would be perfect.

Edit: since drunk cop chases are arguably the most challenging and fun, I don't really mind it although it is kind of stupid how they just 'know'. But then again, that also made killing pigeons really dumb and annoying. For a flawed game, it at least tried a lot of things.

Slum Loser has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Oct 31, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I acutally like how, if you get in a car drunk, Niko will say something akin to "I really shouldn't be driving when I'm like this". The only problem I have with the drunkenness is that, even if you're driving purposefully slow and manage to keep your car straight, cops immediately know you're driving drunk.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpacePig posted:

I acutally like how, if you get in a car drunk, Niko will say something akin to "I really shouldn't be driving when I'm like this". The only problem I have with the drunkenness is that, even if you're driving purposefully slow and manage to keep your car straight, cops immediately know you're driving drunk.

If I saw Niko driving down the street carefully I'd sure think something was up.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

flatluigi posted:

If I saw Niko driving down the street carefully I'd sure think something was up.

Profiling of Balkan drivers.<:mad:>

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SpacePig posted:

How slow are we talking here? Because being overly careful is one of those tell-tale signs that some folks know to look for.

That said, most people's definition of 'slow' in a GTA is the speed limit.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Sad lions posted:

How slow are we talking here? Because being overly careful is one of those tell-tale signs that some folks know to look for.

That said, most people's definition of 'slow' in a GTA is the speed limit.

Most people's definition of 'slow' in real life is the speed limit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was dating the first girlfriend chick you get in the game, and got completely hammered and went to drive her home.

Turns out a drunken car chase on a vespa is not a great idea, so I crashed, she went flying into a wall and left a bloody smear.

3 hours later I called her wondering if I'd get her answering machine or something, since she's dead as a hammer, and promptly started laughing my rear end off when she got pissy with me for a "horrible date".

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Note to self: never offer to go dutch on the hospital bill

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

SpacePig posted:

If I'm remembering correctly they made him say that because people were complaining that the game was allowing you to drive drunk. In a game where you can have sex with hookers then beat them to death with a baseball bat....
I could be wrong though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
You don't want to get on MADD's poo poo list.

(Seriously, that particular group was the source of most of the complaining, and they have enough clout that Rockstar added Niko's lines and the "shouldn't you hail a cab?" popup)

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sagebrush posted:

You don't want to get on MADD's poo poo list.

(Seriously, that particular group was the source of most of the complaining, and they have enough clout that Rockstar added Niko's lines and the "shouldn't you hail a cab?" popup)

I don't remember that popup. Driving drunk in that game was so much fun. I'd get actually drunk and then drunk in-game and try to drive to the other side of the city, see how far I made it before I got pulled over or blew up.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

TheSpiritFox posted:

I don't remember that popup. Driving drunk in that game was so much fun. I'd get actually drunk and then drunk in-game and try to drive to the other side of the city, see how far I made it before I got pulled over or blew up.

I wonder why they'd get upset, the results of drunk driving in the game is often death and destruction.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ClemenSalad posted:

I wonder why they'd get upset, the results of drunk driving in the game is often death and destruction.

No kidding. The game is it's own PSA for the dangers of drunk driving. I have thrown Niko through the windshield more times drunk than I did sober.

I really need to play again, I'm remember how much fun I had just cruising the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

ClemenSalad posted:

It's the lack of real consequences. You go to a hospital, you get out of jail, you just steal another car, you go on about your business. In a game where you're mowing down citizens by the hundreds just by dodging around cars onto the sidewalk to get somewhere a little faster, we're supposed to care more about the ones who got mowed down because you were drunk.

• Locked thread