Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

(lol @ israel being all altruistic and humanitarian by letting people in and then their downfall was palestinians singing too loud)

I haven't seen the film but I was listening to a podcast that spoke about this and the Israelis saying they built the wall cause they had experience doing it it and were listening to a gut feeling which is something they did a lot in israel apparently lol which seems a bit overt even for a Hollywood film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there are many hot babes in tel aviv. u ever seen a super hot jewess babe with a m16 slu gon her in a bikini? i have.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
for real are there any good (or heaven help me "classic") pre-dumbass-craze zombie books? like a counterpart to wwz in the same way that dracula is to twilight or the lord of the rings is to eragon? or is it just the movies that aren't worthless?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Closest thing I can think of is I Am Legend but they're not really zombies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
return of the living dead is the only zombie film i need

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shaggar posted:

also the federation has infinite energy and infinite resources to give to these people to build new homes. its not even slightly like someone in our time losing their home.

and they had been there for like

10 years

they could take literally all their possession, which in theory federation citizens dont even care about because ~evolved humans~, and go to any other planet

it wasnt like this was their ancestral home. it wasnt like the tng episode with the native americans who had been relocated to the one planet and then were being told to leave yet again after having been there for some hundred years. it was literally a bunch of federation citizens upset they couldnt have an unreasonable and stupid demand. honestly, it was believable because people put great weight and attachment to the exact spot of dirt they live on and always act batshit about "their homes"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

for real are there any good (or heaven help me "classic") pre-dumbass-craze zombie books? like a counterpart to wwz in the same way that dracula is to twilight or the lord of the rings is to eragon? or is it just the movies that aren't worthless?

the 1978 dawn of the dead is a really great movie

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
oh yeah so a deepness in the sky is a fun read

sometimes all the plotting and the overabundence of characters gets a bit confusing but nothing that can't be solved by a few seconds of "i thought benny was dead? no wait that was jimmy. and this underville person is not the same as underhill"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

and they had been there for like

10 years

they could take literally all their possession, which in theory federation citizens dont even care about because ~evolved humans~, and go to any other planet

it wasnt like this was their ancestral home. it wasnt like the tng episode with the native americans who had been relocated to the one planet and then were being told to leave yet again after having been there for some hundred years. it was literally a bunch of federation citizens upset they couldnt have an unreasonable and stupid demand. honestly, it was believable because people put great weight and attachment to the exact spot of dirt they live on and always act batshit about "their homes"

well, they aren't really model federation citizens. humans in the federation that want more than they're allotted on earth are "encouraged" to either join Starfleet or become a colonist. either way their drive serves the federation. those who cant abide are ostracized and leave the federation. the maquis are folks that didn't want what they had on earth AND thought settling near cardasia was a good idea. So while yes picking up and moving really isn't a big deal, they don't want help from the federation and the federation doesnt really want them anyways.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

well, they aren't really model federation citizens. humans in the federation that want more than they're allotted on earth are "encouraged" to either join Starfleet or become a colonist. either way their drive serves the federation. those who cant abide are ostracized and leave the federation. the maquis are folks that didn't want what they had on earth AND thought settling near cardasia was a good idea. So while yes picking up and moving really isn't a big deal, they don't want help from the federation and the federation doesnt really want them anyways.

fair enough

stuff like tasha yar's rapeplanet and the colonists showed that not every human was an "enlightened federation citizen" but the series should have done a lot more with that. the conflicts between federation humans and every other human civilization could have been a good story.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the rape planet was federation propaganda. (tng was poorly written)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the rape planet was federation propaganda. (tng was poorly written)

uh pretty sure tasha talked about the rape gangs, and then when they went there it was an absolutely massive shithole of rear end in a top hat idiots who kept trying to kill the everliving poo poo out of each other and themselves

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it was pretty loving dumb

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeah it was pretty loving dumb

whys that? i think that was the first time they showed a non federation human planet

ok it was kind of dumb that it was "look how bad it is!! no federation!! literally murdering each other because they threw out the federation!!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
these people aren't Federation (American) therefore their all rapey savages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tng was black and white morality tales for autists

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeh i guess shaggar is right

its still enjoyable until the ds9 blurays come out

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

also the federation has infinite energy and infinite resources to give to these people to build new homes. its not even slightly like someone in our time losing their home.

yeah. god there are some really terrible posters in that thread.

Shaggar posted:

what's sad is there were times when the writers wanted to gray it up a bit and the producers shot them down. the episode about space terrorists was originally meant to end with Picard realizing he was taking the side of the oppressor, but instead it got watered down to "we got some lectures from both sides and then we beat up the terrorists."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

tos was half black and half white morality tales for autists

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's sad is there were times when the writers wanted to gray it up a bit and the producers shot them down. the episode about space terrorists was originally meant to end with Picard realizing he was taking the side of the oppressor, but instead it got watered down to "we got some lectures from both sides and then we beat up the terrorists."

wasnt it gene who refused to allow any kind of serious conflict to be a part of the show, which is why ds9 was so much better because he had nothing to do with it?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

(lol @ israel being all altruistic and humanitarian by letting people in and then their downfall was palestinians singing too loud)

are you making GBS threads me

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hashtag Nascar posted:

I haven't seen the film but I was listening to a podcast that spoke about this and the Israelis saying they built the wall cause they had experience doing it it and were listening to a gut feeling which is something they did a lot in israel apparently lol which seems a bit overt even for a Hollywood film

it was in the book too, which was basically the author picking out things he thought defined each country and having zombies force them to meet that ideal, russia gets religion back, iran and pakistan explode, loving ireland is reunified, it's basically babbys first geopolitical fan fiction except with zombies

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

there are many hot babes in tel aviv. u ever seen a super hot jewess babe with a m16 slu gon her in a bikini? i have.

seriously into israeli women dunno why. i'd propose a one state solution with them if you know what i mean

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wasnt it gene who refused to allow any kind of serious conflict to be a part of the show, which is why ds9 was so much better because he had nothing to do with it?

partly, but also because the execs paid more attention to the movies and voyager than they did to ds9 and didn't meddle as much

and also because a good chunk of the cast was non-starfleet. there wasn't really a lot of 'serious conflict' between the starfleet characters in ds9. they might have argued a bit more than the tng cast would, but the tng cast also argued sometimes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

partly, but also because the execs paid more attention to the movies and voyager than they did to ds9 and didn't meddle as much

and also because a good chunk of the cast was non-starfleet. there wasn't really a lot of 'serious conflict' between the starfleet characters in ds9. they might have argued a bit more than the tng cast would, but the tng cast also argued sometimes.

yeh but i also mean conflict within the federation itself and its allies/truces

tng skirted the neutral zone and made a lot of romulans mad at times but ds9 had an almost war with the kinglons, then the cardassians, and then a real war with the cardassians.

the only intra-federation conflicts in tng were always brainbugs or something like that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ds9 also had a really rare collection of talented people in just about every role.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

yeh but i also mean conflict within the federation itself and its allies/truces

tng skirted the neutral zone and made a lot of romulans mad at times but ds9 had an almost war with the kinglons, then the cardassians, and then a real war with the cardassians.

the only intra-federation conflicts in tng were always brainbugs or something like that

cardassians were never really allies and it was pretty consistently depicted as a shaky piece

klingons yeah i guess. but i think when the writing staff got flushed in seasons 3 and 4 the new guys basically said "no, gently caress this, the klingons did *not* join the federation. that's bullshit. they're just allies... i guess... *sighs, rolls eyes, mutters 'gently caress you dad' under breath*"

as for intra-federation the only thing there was when some renegade admiral wanted to put everyone on earth under martial law. after that it was pretty solid again.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

as for intra-federation the only thing there was when some renegade admiral wanted to put everyone on earth under martial law. after that it was pretty solid again.

yo thats a pretty big thing. an admiral of starfleet trying to take over the world by feeding into paranoia. that poo poo would have never even approached tng/os because gene would have had a fit if his perfect society ever showed any cracks.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
all of that bsgchat reminded me of trekchat and now we're full circle again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heresiarch posted:

all of that bsgchat reminded me of trekchat and now we're full circle again

all of this has happened before

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
after watching DS9 the ferengi in every other trek are so disappointing

actually the way they deal with alien races in general is incredibly boring compared to ds9

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

yo thats a pretty big thing. an admiral of starfleet trying to take over the world by feeding into paranoia. that poo poo would have never even approached tng/os because gene would have had a fit if his perfect society ever showed any cracks.

multiple top-level officers were part of the conspiracy to sabotage the peace process in star trek 6

a starship captain went renegade and started shooting up cardassian ships and space stations in The Wounded, killing hundreds of cardassians

retired admiral norah satie was a paranoid nutjob who saw conspiracies everywhere and tried to subvert the rights of innocent people in The Drumhead

admiral whats-his-face was implicated in conspiring with cardassians in Ensign Ro

admiral pressman violated a treaty with the romulans and nearly got the enterprise captured in The Pegasus

i mean yeah this was all happening when gene was practically on death's doorstop (or afterward, in Pegasus) but it all happened on not-DS9

also the "perfect society" didn't exist until TNG, TOS was definitely not a perfect federation

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

it was in the book too, which was basically the author picking out things he thought defined each country and having zombies force them to meet that ideal, russia gets religion back, iran and pakistan explode, loving ireland is reunified, it's basically babbys first geopolitical fan fiction except with zombies

the only fun part of this was the population of north korea literally vanishing and everybody afraid to cross the border to find out what happened

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

multiple top-level officers were part of the conspiracy to sabotage the peace process in star trek 6

a starship captain went renegade and started shooting up cardassian ships and space stations in The Wounded, killing hundreds of cardassians

retired admiral norah satie was a paranoid nutjob who saw conspiracies everywhere and tried to subvert the rights of innocent people in The Drumhead

admiral whats-his-face was implicated in conspiring with cardassians in Ensign Ro

admiral pressman violated a treaty with the romulans and nearly got the enterprise captured in The Pegasus

i mean yeah this was all happening when gene was practically on death's doorstop (or afterward, in Pegasus) but it all happened on not-DS9

also the "perfect society" didn't exist until TNG, TOS was definitely not a perfect federation

ugh alright im bad at star treks

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

even in tos they'd solved poverty, had the prime directive etc. but yeah they still had conflict and problems with orders from space command and issues with starfleet captains occasionally setting themselves up as gods on some podunk planet of primitives

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

watching twilight zone

lol martin landau as a gunslinger

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the true nature of the federation is revealed in the mirror universe episodes where the "evil" terran empire has to be cartoonishly so to have any sort of contrast

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

after watching DS9 the ferengi in every other trek are so disappointing

actually the way they deal with alien races in general is incredibly boring compared to ds9

once you start seeing anti-semitic stereotypes in the ferengi on ds9 it's hard to stop

i still love those episodes but it's the uncomfortable, nostalgia-driven kind of love that europeans have for the racist volumes of the tin-tin series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

once you start seeing anti-semitic stereotypes in the ferengi on ds9 it's hard to stop
"once you start"

:rolleye:

• Locked thread