Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Episode gains points for having Eddie self-incriminate for a capital offense for no other reason than smugness.

Episode loses points for assuming we're going to be rooting against The Ogre killing Barbara.

Episode gains points back for including a Specials cover.

All told, it was pretty much a hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I lol'd when I realized that Barbara saw the sex death dungeon, engaged in acrobatic snuggling with the American Psycho and still didn't realize he was a murderer until the next morning.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So it was a bdsm kill room. We were all right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nameless Pete posted:

Episode loses points for assuming we're going to be rooting against The Ogre killing Barbara.

Are you kidding? I woulda watched a whole series of the Ogre turning Barbara into his psycho murder girlfriend and it sucks they ended that plotline so quickly.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Oh, I'd have been 100% on board if they were going the girlfriend/accomplice route, Harley Quinn style. That would have been amazing. But I stopped rooting for her the second they made it clear she was too dumb to recognize a combination sex dungeon/kill room when she saw one.

Like, if a guy shows you his "Secret Room" and it contains gimp masks, that's one thing. If a guy shows you his "Secret Room" and it contains racks of obsessively polished medieval weaponry, that's another. But if a guy shows you his "Secret Room" and it contains both, arranged on the same shelves and with seemingly equal reverence, and you still spend the night with this man, then anything that happens afterwards is squarely on your shoulders.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nygma being unable to resist leaving that little "signature" on the letter was pretty much perfect, and a good sign of the early development of the character into the Riddler. Penguin's ridiculous little plot had a lot of holes in it, but that kinda worked because it goes to show that the current batch of mobsters are basically there because of their viciousness as opposed to their intelligence, which will make their eventual ousting by the "freaks" make sense. Also it goes towards the idea the Penguin is the only one of the old school mobsters who is able to survive and thrive in that future. But did he really not consider that starting a mob war between Falcone and Maroni when he is a Falcone man who Maroni REALLY wants to kill may not have been the best idea?

Anyway, I'm happy Lucius Fox is around, because Lucius Fox is cool as hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nameless Pete posted:

Oh, I'd have been 100% on board if they were going the girlfriend/accomplice route, Harley Quinn style. That would have been amazing.

That was clearly where they were going by the time the Ogre died, Barbara was really into being held at knifepoint there

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tarlibone posted:

I'm just glad that in this episode, the Riddler happened.

"Riddle me this: what's sharp and metal and kills you?"

Nameless Pete posted:

...if a guy shows you his "Secret Room" and it contains both, arranged on the same shelves and with seemingly equal reverence, and you still spend the night with this man, then anything that happens afterwards is squarely on your shoulders.

Yeah, what the poo poo was that?

Either she has no familiarity with BDSM, in which case this giant sex dungeon would freak her the hell out in concept alone, or she does...and hopefully would realize, "hey...I don't see any floggers or anything but I *do* see a lot of deadly medieval weapons."

I guess Jess Mariano continues to have an intoxicating effect on the ladies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xealot posted:

"Riddle me this: what's sharp and metal and kills you?"

That dude only figured out Nygma liked his girlfriend 0.5 of a second before he got stuck with a knife, so that riddle might have been a bit too much for him anyway.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
For some reason Nygma's "Oh dear" line cracks me up, probably because he plays it with equal parts "I shouldn't be doing this" and "but I really, really enjoy this."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So the phone number on the call display in the Ogre's sex dungeon had a 405 area code. That means Gotham's in Oklahoma. Who'd have guessed?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Phylodox posted:

So the phone number on the call display in the Ogre's sex dungeon had a 405 area code. That means Gotham's in Oklahoma. Who'd have guessed?

Just right down the road from Smallville and Metropolis in Kansas.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I really thought Barbara was going to choose Gordon's current squeeze, since that could remove her from the picture and create drama and tension for the next season. But since this is a re-working of the origin stories, I guess that Leslie can stay in the picture for a while?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

hatelull posted:

I really thought Barbara was going to choose Gordon's current squeeze, since that could remove her from the picture and create drama and tension for the next season. But since this is a re-working of the origin stories, I guess that Leslie can stay in the picture for a while?

She was an old lady in The Animated Series.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bruno Heller talks on Season two plans and more

quote:

Obviously something that you've brought to that world is Fish Mooney. Now that it's out there that she isn't there, are there some more new characters you want to try and slot in or will that time be spent with some existing properties?

Creating prototypes and historical markers of where the world will end up is one of the great, challenging and fun things about making the show, coming up with characters like Fish Mooney. So there will be more.

Personally I'm still hoping that Jada will be back. One of the problems of making a show like this is that you need actors who can really be big characters. You either have bigness or you don't, and Jada is big in spades. She's done a wonderful job for us and nobody dies forever in the DC Universe, necessarily, so I'm hoping whatever happens at the end of this season that Fish can and will be back

Son of a bitch

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Solomon Mooney.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Who is Bruno Heller and other than legal reasons, why shouldn't we shoot him for this?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dalael posted:

Who is Bruno Heller and other than legal reasons, why shouldn't we shoot him for this?

Bruno Heller created Rome and was the writer for half the episodes of that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

Bruno Heller created Rome and was the writer for half the episodes of that.

He's also Gotham's showrunner.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Fish's twin sister Pisces.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Good work in the cutting room.
I almost did not notice Harvey pulling his gun twice in the Ogre showdown.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
That sounds like the usual not saying that she is going to die and that she was a pleasure to work with and we would love her to come back.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

brb I'm gonna go step into Geoff Johns' office and ask what the gently caress

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He's also Gotham's showrunner.

That's not really anything to he should trumpet to be honest.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Well we had the one good riddle this episode. The moment they showed the paper I rewound and froze my recording so I could find the easter egg - then they just showed it.

Penguin had a fine moment as well.

If the editing had been tighter overall I'd hazard to call it a good episode

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Talked to Geoff, he says its on Fox.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

hatelull posted:

She could have at least said Maroni or Falcone or something, whoever had her kidnapped. I'd have loved to see the Ogre take on organized crime.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
A fun anecdote. A friend of mine just won the Fred Rogers Scholarship for her puppetry project. The actor that plays the Penguin presented it to her and interviewed her. She had no idea who he was.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well he hasn't really been in anything major other than this.

In fact this show, despite some of its issues, will probably be his big break.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

He was briefly in The Walking Dead but yeah, he's pretty much keeping this show afloat along with Bullock

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

He was briefly in The Walking Dead but yeah, he's pretty much keeping this show afloat along with Bullock

Don't forget his infamous role in accepted.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bamhand posted:

She could have at least said Maroni or Falcone or something, whoever had her kidnapped. I'd have loved to see the Ogre take on organized crime.

Just, really stir the pot. Have a psychopath-off.

"Give me a name; who do you want to kill?"

"Victor Zsasz."

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hatelull posted:

I thought she was going to send him after Gordon so that they would face off and he would save her. Anyway, Barbara remains terrible as always.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I think it's safe to say that Barbara is officially The Worst Character at this point, even beating out Fish for the title. At least I can laugh at how awkward and bad the latter storyline is, but Barbara... Jesus, there are so many layers. The weird thing is that I can't even say that I dislike her. I'm just hopelessly confused by whoever is writing her scenes and what they think I'm supposed to be feeling.

"Hey Mr. Mob Boss, my boyfriend wanted me to leave town because he said I would be in danger... but I'm worried about him, so I came back to town to personally ask if you could please not kill him?" :ohdear:
"Well, I just bailed on my boyfriend when he didn't answer the phone and started sleeping with my ex immediately after until she kicked me out... Hm, maybe I should call him now. Hold on, a GIRL ANSWERED HIS PHONE? Unbelievable!" :rolleyes:
"I am such a loser that I have befriended a random little girl that I found squatting in my apartment. Welp, better lecture her on how to use ~sex appeal~!"
"Oh hey, a stainless-steel murder closet with battleaxes mounted on the walls... Cool. Wanna gently caress?"
"I don't want to kill anyone, you monster! What's that, a knif- HEY WAIT, LET'S GO KILL MY PARENTS!" :black101:
"Oh nooo, my throat has been slit. Don't worry though, it's only a flesh wound, so I'll just stare ahead with a blank expression while trying really hard not to emote in the slightest." :geno:

She's such a bizarre character that it leaves me staring at the screen with a morbid fascination whenever she's in a scene. :psyduck:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I can't recall any other time he was in a series for more than a few episodes, or in a movie for more than a bit part, so this is absolutely what will launch him into a much higher profile acting career. All the better for him if Gotham goes for 5+ seasons and Penguin remains a major character throughout, I have to think he'd make a million bucks a year on average then and be set for life with good money management, even if he doesn't get any more really good acting gigs.

I dunno, I have money on the mind since I'm really in a financial pinch at the moment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why the hell are Allen and Montoya listed as regulars?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

It maybe be contractual. Like they hired them as regulars, expecting to do more with them, but the characters just fell by the wayside as the season progressed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's not flashy, but they feature in each episode. You just can't see them because they're in the archives of various City Buildings the camera pans past, poring vigorously through files, actively pursuing the Waynes murder case like they promised Gordon they would, so entrenched in their work that they don't even know Gordon managed to escape his exile to Arkham Asylum guard duty.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've been mostly skipping through the last episode, since I couldn't give a drat about Barbara. Maybe she dies, maybe she becomes a villain, maybe she moves to someplace in need of a tollbooth attendant. The stuff with Bruce was interesting enough, but even with the hinted at "hint" from Nigma in that letter, I couldn't get too interested in what he's got going on. Penguin, Bruce, Selena and possibly Falcone have interesting scenes and fun developments but all that other stuff just doesn't interest me. Half the show is great, the other half is just lackluster.

I guess that's a sign we're getting Two-Face proper now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Generic American posted:

I think it's safe to say that Barbara is officially The Worst Character at this point, even beating out Fish for the title. At least I can laugh at how awkward and bad the latter storyline is, but Barbara... Jesus, there are so many layers. The weird thing is that I can't even say that I dislike her. I'm just hopelessly confused by whoever is writing her scenes and what they think I'm supposed to be feeling.

I don't like either character, but at least Fish has this campiness to her that can be funny in a way...Barbara is just...useless.

I think it would have been interesting at least if Barbara did turn out to be a bad guy and buddied up with the Ogre, at least she would have a point then. Hell, her turning bad would kind of make sense given how weird she is.

• Locked thread