Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Megazver posted:

I think they're only asking for money to pay someone to translate it to English? It's still weird, though. I asked them in the comments.
Yeah but 100 euros isn't enough to pay for that. Only mates rates would get that kind of fee and if that's the case you could pay with some freshly baked cupcakes instead.

I don't know anything about this RPG series but this feels weird. The link is back to the same website as for the book RPGs which are clearly in a different league from this. Is it a fan game that just happens to be using the same IP, and if so is it official?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

Yeah but 100 euros isn't enough to pay for that. Only mates rates would get that kind of fee and if that's the case you could pay with some freshly baked cupcakes instead.

I don't know anything about this RPG series but this feels weird. The link is back to the same website as for the book RPGs which are clearly in a different league from this. Is it a fan game that just happens to be using the same IP, and if so is it official?

Yeah, I know.

The game did get mentioned on the Esteren official Facebook, so at least they're aware of it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maybe it's one of those cases where they want to make sure they get every penny that gets pledged, so they violently lowball it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yeah but there's lowballing... and there's lowballing. I mean I have no idea how much text they have in the game but that seems absurdly low even for translation only.

But it's even a psychological factor, I don't think you can overfund more by asking for 100 EU than if you do 1000. I'm having the same conversation with a friend of mine working on a 3rd person puzzle game for the PC. He wants to Kickstart it and ask for 3 dollars for the game, and set the goal at $15k. He'd need 5000 people to pledge on a first time dev new IP puzzle game to get that funded. He keeps insisting that even if the KS doesn't fund he'll at least get the exposure, but man! When you spend months on end working on a project, then ask for 3 bucks for it but expect the backers to come in droves on cheapness alone... I don't think it's a good idea, and I'm trying to talk him/them out of it. I think it really casts a negative light on what you think your stuff is worth. And the game, while I've yet to play it, looks nice enough.. Nicer than 3 dollars, either way.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Are there any kickstarters out there that are somewhat analogous to your friends project? You can point out what they asked for and especially how many backers they got. Unless the game is very simple three bucks seems really low and 5000 backers is extremely generous for anyone without a strong name behind them.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Mr Underhill posted:

Is this the first military shooter on Kickstarter? It just seems like such a non-Kickstarter-y game to pitch.

It's not even close to the first, actually. Takedown: Red Sabre and H-Hour: World's Elite both had successful campaigns.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Are there any kickstarters out there that are somewhat analogous to your friends project? You can point out what they asked for and especially how many backers they got. Unless the game is very simple three bucks seems really low and 5000 backers is extremely generous for anyone without a strong name behind them.

Hm, yea, I don't really know. I just pointed out Umbra has around 5k backers, but they're sitting at 180k out of 225, and that game's on a whole other level.

Here's a screenshot of the game in question - you control the little robot dude and have to reach the teleporters in a certain sequence, and all the while the modules you're running along on rise and fall out of the lava and someone drops bombs on you from above. My criticism of it was the design looks very early 2000s, but a lot of the textures are placeholders, and from what I understand so's the main character. I'm not sure if he'd want me linking directly to the project since it's all work in progress, just putting this pic to illustrate my point. 3 dollars for a 50+level game seems too low to me.

Great Rumbler posted:

It's not even close to the first, actually. Takedown: Red Sabre and H-Hour: World's Elite both had successful campaigns.

Seems like a genre you'd put directly in a publisher's lap, color me surprised.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I didn't see this posted yet, but a bunch of former BioShock/Dead Space developers are making a first person horror game starring a blind heroine: Perception

quote:

Perception is a first-person narrative horror adventure that tells the story of Cassie, a blind heroine who uses her extraordinary hearing and razor-sharp wits to unravel the mysteries of an abandoned estate that haunts her dreams.

After months of research, she discovers an abandoned mansion in Gloucester, MA. Once there, Cassie finds that Echo Bluff is worse than her nightmares. A ghastly Presence has tormented its inhabitants over generations, and it now hunts Cassie. She must solve the estate's mysteries or become one of its victims.

Doesn't look too bad, though that's a lot of stretch goals put out at once.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Seems official. From the looks of it they're just "testing the waters". They're primarily a tabletop company, so they're making a cheap mobile videogame to start off with a Kickstarter just for interest check (they can probably fund that fine on their own), and if it shows promise they'll expand to bigger better videogames based on their IP (they mention they have a point'n'click adventure in the works too).

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

SupSuper posted:

Seems official. From the looks of it they're just "testing the waters". They're primarily a tabletop company, so they're making a cheap mobile videogame to start off with a Kickstarter just for interest check (they can probably fund that fine on their own), and if it shows promise they'll expand to bigger better videogames based on their IP (they mention they have a point'n'click adventure in the works too).

That doesn't feel right to me. I don't know if this has already been linked, an article about how publishers use Kickstarter as a way of gauging interest - it's a nice read, not necessarily pertaining to the situation, but definitely an example of "Kickstarter misuse". I know, I know, there's no right or wrong way to use Kickstarter...

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Kickstarter just launched the possibility to submit projects from France, and are promoting a bunch of projects, and amongst them is this :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/948135636/alunia

A 1 guy project with stolen art "but really guys the artists will totally be on board I swear", no gameplay besides "it's Alundra", and really stupid stuff to say to backers like "Big puzzles that will put your brain to the test and make you realize that you're just dumb". :downs:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

boblemoche posted:

Kickstarter just launched the possibility to submit projects from France, and are promoting a bunch of projects, and amongst them is this :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/948135636/alunia

A 1 guy project with stolen art "but really guys the artists will totally be on board I swear", no gameplay besides "it's Alundra", and really stupid stuff to say to backers like "Big puzzles that will put your brain to the test and make you realize that you're just dumb". :downs:

I'm not sure about the guy who did the concept art, but the two people they mention wanting to bring on board are the composer for Alundra and scenario writer for Landstalker. *laugh-track*

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm not sure about the guy who did the concept art, but the two people they mention wanting to bring on board are the composer for Alundra and scenario writer for Landstalker. *laugh-track*

The "concept art" is just random drawings made by that credited guy in 2008 and earlier.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I like the registered domain that leads to a placeholder you-bought our-hostng page.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
You are not ready for Slender Devil Is Behind You. It features walking around at night by lantern light, collecting pages... Sounds eerily familiar :rolleyes:

Come on, French people, you're given an opportunity here, let the good games roll!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mr Underhill posted:

Come on, French people, you're given an opportunity here, let the good games roll!

The world needs more EYE: Divine Cybermancies. Toss a gun that turns people in to exploding werewolves in to this slender clone!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

The world needs more EYE: Divine Cybermancies. Toss a gun that turns people in to exploding werewolves in to this slender clone!

Those guys are making Space Hulk: Deathwing now. Other French are also making a sequel to Mars: War Logs, which actually looks decent.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 28, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Decent quality would put it far ahead of its predecessor

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Serpent in the Staglands is coming out later today!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Leinadi posted:

Oh poo poo really? That's today? loving excellent, another thing I backed has delivered!

Checking my list of things I have backed before Staglands I'm still waiting on Interstellaria, Torment, The Mandate, Paradise Lost and Emerald. I'm half expecting Emerald and Paradise Lost to be vaporware at this point though.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I'm unbelievably hyped for Serpent in the Staglands. I hope it delivers.

EDIT: Aaand looks like it's out on GOG now: http://www.gog.com/game/serpent_in_the_staglands Still waiting for my backer key though.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 28, 2015

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Decent quality would put it far ahead of its predecessor

Their latest, Bound by Flame, was a very noticeable step up from Mars: War Logs. You've still got to be the kind of person that enjoys the Euro-jank to really appreciated it, though.

Leinadi posted:

Totally didn't realize that this was coming out so soon. A very pleasant surprise!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The Kickstarter email said they're going through the list of backers (which I checked, there are 1092 of them) manually to send everyone their keys, so we should get them sometime today.

I'm excited to try it out as well.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Huh, apparently Obsidian Entertainment are teaming up with Zero Radius Games to make a Pillars of Eternity card game. I've never heard of ZRG but I guess they make card games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081578473/pillars-of-eternity-lords-of-the-eastern-reach-car

Not really my thing but whatevs, hopefully they make a bunch of money off of this.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Did any one pledge for the beta tier for Aegis Defenders? They just sent out Steam Beta keys and I'm really curious how the game plays.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Chairchucker posted:

Huh, apparently Obsidian Entertainment are teaming up with Zero Radius Games to make a Pillars of Eternity card game. I've never heard of ZRG but I guess they make card games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081578473/pillars-of-eternity-lords-of-the-eastern-reach-car

Not really my thing but whatevs, hopefully they make a bunch of money off of this.

The font and spacing make it look like the name of the thing is "ETERNITY LORDS"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kinda disappointed the Staglands guys are sending the keys out manually, by email :effort: Still waiting on mine, won't get a chance to play tonight.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chairchucker posted:

While I would love for Obsidian to get more money, Zero Radius Games' previous games look mostly unknown. That doesn't really mean they're not capable of making good games, but I'd be wary of anyone trying to make their name on the basis of a license, rather than mechanics, especially when the gameplay itself seems very eh. You may not also have the security of a big board game publisher either, so who knows what fun snafus they may get caught in.

Speaking of board games based on Kickstarted games, whatever happened to Unsung Story, that Matsuno game that was supposed to have a board game designed by one of my favorite designers?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Das Tal sounds sort of like Rust but I dig the Baldur's Gate/Diablo look; given that all their proceeds are going to art assets I hope they can polish it up. I hate the power gap problem in current MMOs so its nice to see people addressing that conundrum.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dean of Swing posted:

Das Tal sounds sort of like Rust but I dig the Baldur's Gate/Diablo look; given that all their proceeds are going to art assets I hope they can polish it up. I hate the power gap problem in current MMOs so its nice to see people addressing that conundrum.

I've been alpha testing for this and it's pretty cool for what they have. Hard to get people interested though, as the current campaign total shows. I made a thread over in MMO a while ago, but no one really kept interest :(.

If anyone looked at it before but thought it was too expensive, they added a lower tier for people who aren't so sure about the game. They're also doing this thing on the 31st where anyone who backed gets to playtest what they currently have that day. The 31st is before the campaign ends, so you could pull your pledge after that if you don't like it.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
While I sit here downloading my Kung Fury just-released short :rock:, I got a note that Jenny LeClue has a playable demo out

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dean of Swing posted:

This actually looks pretty badass but holy poo poo what's with all the bolding for emphasis, I feel like you can do that once every 3 paragraphs before you start looking insane.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Count Uvula posted:

This actually looks pretty badass but holy poo poo what's with all the bolding for emphasis, I feel like you can do that once every 3 paragraphs before you start looking insane.

I think a lot of people just skim the actual writeup of kickstarters, so the idea is to try and throw their talking-points at people while their eyes just roll over it. It is a tad annoying though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

They got everything necessary for anyone sane to bail in the first paragraph though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Nice to see Staglands out, an actual developer team of two people getting a game out basically on time. Now to see if it's good!

Also Stonehearth announced that they're going to be going into Steam Early Access to solicit more feedback and have added a couple more developers to their team. They still say they're on budget, however, and promise a breakdown as to how they're doing. Normally I'd be skeptical but they actually have been really good about constant, weekly updates on the game.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Intellivision's trying to remake some of their games, and it's not looking too hot. To think, they once managed to swing a deal with Activision to publish a collection of their Intellivision games (although it was in 2001, which was probably before Actiuvision became all cunty).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Kickstarter disaster Super Action Squad is back (aka Super Retro Squad, aka Super Mario Bros. Crossover w/different pixels), except now it's Operation Pyxel, and the SAS leader is making it by himself. It looks like poo poo, but he's going to save it with :pcgaming: DYNAMIC LIGHTING :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ycy2V91ZQ

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of board games based on Kickstarted games, whatever happened to Unsung Story, that Matsuno game that was supposed to have a board game designed by one of my favorite designers?

That one was a tactics RPG with a digital card game on the side; I can't remember how hands-on Matsuno's supposed to be with either game, but the card game is being handled primarily by a guy named Christophe Boelinger. The devs (Playdek) are terrible about providing regular updates but the game seems to be coming along okay.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Is there a thread for Serpent in the Staglands? It's got a cool aesthetic but is buggy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Shine posted:

Kickstarter disaster Super Action Squad is back (aka Super Retro Squad, aka Super Mario Bros. Crossover w/different pixels), except now it's Operation Pyxel, and the SAS leader is making it by himself. It looks like poo poo, but he's going to save it with :pcgaming: DYNAMIC LIGHTING :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ycy2V91ZQ

What is that godawful filter he has over everything. :barf: