Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Why is Marvel so obsessed with anime? Are they really popular in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPX-FX0KStE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's still worth noting that THIS show is where the 'hero summons giant robot to battle monster-of-the-week' thing comes from. Spider-Man invented the Megazord.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

ToastyPotato posted:

I would presume that it's cheaper and more chance of a built in audience.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

I would presume that it's cheaper and more chance of a built in audience.

You know, I've always wondered how the japanese see the american superheroes, they like them or think that Super Sentai/Kamen Rider is miles better? I understant than Japan is kind of really close minded to outsider things.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Pretty sure regular Spider Man is super popular there at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

There's a trailer/announcement of Marvel’s Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher an anime adventure in anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXcD3ZOiox0

source

It has fauxhawk Captain Marvel!

Wow, I just saw the pre-rendered Iron Man in the preview image and expected it to be garbage, but that actually looks awesome. Pretty out of left field move to make a Black Widow/Punisher film, too. Hope it's good! Marvel could use some more animation hits.

Edit: :laffo: Jennifer Carpenter as Black Widow. Bet that's going to be something.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 21, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I ended up liking more of the Marvel Anime than I disliked, so I'm pretty positive for this one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You know, I've always wondered how the japanese see the american superheroes, they like them or think that Super Sentai/Kamen Rider is miles better? I understant than Japan is kind of really close minded to outsider things.

Of course the Japanese love this poo poo!

:black101:CRY FOR THE MOOOOOOOOOON!:black101:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tiger and Bunny was incredibly popular in Japan, and the show was heavily inspired by Western Superheros.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

There's a trailer/announcement of Marvel’s Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher an anime adventure in anime.

source

What a strange place for Leviathan to show up again.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tiger and Bunny was incredibly popular in Japan, and the show was heavily inspired by Western Superheros.

It was also a drat sight better than a lot of Western superhero stuff, as it happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A non-negligible number of mangaka are really into american comics, as well. The Rurouni Kenshin guy straight up lifted a bunch of design elements and power sets from X-men and Spider-man characters, off the top of my head.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

A non-negligible number of mangaka are really into american comics, as well. The Rurouni Kenshin guy straight up lifted a bunch of design elements and power sets from X-men and Spider-man characters, off the top of my head.

This sounds interesting. Could you elaborate on this, please?

Edit: About Watsuki, I mean.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hakkesshu posted:

Wow, I just saw the pre-rendered Iron Man in the preview image and expected it to be garbage, but that actually looks awesome. Pretty out of left field move to make a Black Widow/Punisher film, too. Hope it's good! Marvel could use some more animation hits.

Edit: :laffo: Jennifer Carpenter as Black Widow. Bet that's going to be something.
Surprised they didn't have Laura Bailey as Black Widow since she has voiced her in a lot of the recent Marvel media stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Viz release of the manga kept all of the author notes so there was a lot of stuff there about how he created the characters. Off the top of my head, the early villain who had the hypnotic eyes had a costume that was deliberately based on Gambit and near the end of the manga in the Revenge arc one of the guys is straight up just based on Venom.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Neat, I didn't knew that about Kenshi. So I take than Marvel is what Japan loves and DC isn't relevant?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Neat, I didn't knew that about Kenshi. So I take than Marvel is what Japan loves and DC isn't relevant?

Pretty much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fILWZN1E_sI

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So that JLA Trapped in Time movie that was slipped into Target with absolutely zero marketing and no video footage to be found anywhere? It's probably terrible but I hear Diedrich Bader, Brave and the Bold, is doing Batman's voice, so at least there's that!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The Viz release of the manga kept all of the author notes so there was a lot of stuff there about how he created the characters. Off the top of my head, the early villain who had the hypnotic eyes had a costume that was deliberately based on Gambit and near the end of the manga in the Revenge arc one of the guys is straight up just based on Venom.

He also based the power set and some of the personality traits of one of the ninja characters on Spider-man, and gave a big fat guy an Apocalypse mouth for no reason other than it seemed cool. I think there's more, but it's been a while. The point being that he's a massive fanboy and wears his influences on his sleeve.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

source

It's neat that they stuck Danvers in that there Avengers lineup rather than sticking with just the Movie 6.

Also is that War Machine or just a mecha'd up Iron Man?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Iron man is in the same shot right next to him. So I am guessing War Machine.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, speaking in the broad context of history, Japanese are fascinated by Western things but insist on absorbing those things on their own terms. They will take it, toy with it, praise it, then make their own version of it.

As far as American superheroes are concerned, they seem to love them. In 2012, Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man were #1 at the Japanese box office. And in classic Japanese style, the Japanese are creating an anime where the Avengers have been turned into Pokémon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I find it hilarious that Brian Bloom has gone from voicing Captain America to voicing Punisher when he had a Punisher alt in MvC3.

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, speaking in the broad context of history, Japanese are fascinated by Western things but insist on absorbing those things on their own terms. They will take it, toy with it, praise it, then make their own version of it.

As far as American superheroes are concerned, they seem to love them. In 2012, Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man were #1 at the Japanese box office. And in classic Japanese style, the Japanese are creating an anime where the Avengers have been turned into Pokémon.

It still baffles me every time I see this that they didn't just make the Avengers into teenagers and have them go fight adventures, Pokemon seems a bit too 90s for a current anime.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dunno, I'm pretty sure Pokémon is still a thing. At least, it was among the kids at my college last year.

Like, they didn't still play Pokémon but they talked about having played it "as kids" (read: a couple of years prior).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Pokemon is very much still a thing. Maybe not the zeitgeist it was in the 90's, but still a thing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr. Maltose posted:

I ended up liking more of the Marvel Anime than I disliked, so I'm pretty positive for this one.

Even though I still say Adrian Pasdar is an inferior Tony Stark to Eric Loomis.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Some examples:

Also, he references Marvel in some of his messages to the readers, I think.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Suleman posted:

Some examples:

Also, he references Marvel in some of his messages to the readers, I think.

Of course, I keep forgetting that Omega Red is inexplicably Big in Japan. As evidenced by the above "Cry For the Moon" video where he gets more screen time than Magneto.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Of course, I keep forgetting that Omega Red is inexplicably Big in Japan. As evidenced by the above "Cry For the Moon" video where he gets more screen time than Magneto.

Shuma Gorath is also popular for some reason. They actually had to put him back into to Marvel 3 as a DLC character due to popular demand, IIRC. I am actually shocked Omega Red didn't make it in either.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Tentacles inexplicably popular in Japan. :shrug:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

And yet, Doc Ock sits unloved.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ToastyPotato posted:

Shuma Gorath is also popular for some reason. They actually had to put him back into to Marvel 3 as a DLC character due to popular demand, IIRC. I am actually shocked Omega Red didn't make it in either.

So omega red and shuma gorath are both popular for some reason and they were both mvc characters?
Could those be related.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rita Repulsa posted:

So omega red and shuma gorath are both popular for some reason and they were both mvc characters?
Could those be related.

I think the X-Men anime intro featuring Omega predates MVC, BUT it might not predate Children of the Atom, now that I think about it...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It seems than JL:War is the start of the N52 movieverse going by the post credits scene It shows Ocean Master declaring war to the surface, a 'Throne of Atlantis' movie seems a lock

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

He also based the power set and some of the personality traits of one of the ninja characters on Spider-man, and gave a big fat guy an Apocalypse mouth for no reason other than it seemed cool. I think there's more, but it's been a while. The point being that he's a massive fanboy and wears his influences on his sleeve.

I remember his notes mentioned that the cape Kenshin's teacher wore was based on Spawn's.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the X-Men anime intro featuring Omega predates MVC, BUT it might not predate Children of the Atom, now that I think about it...

Pretty sure that X-Men opening is based more on the studio having nothing but a chunk of Jim Lee era books for reference than anything.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I just finished watching Justice League: War. It was okay. A lot of the voice acting, especially Batman and Wonder Woman was pretty bad, although the dialogue may be a partial cause. It didn't read the original story, but I doubt the dialogue was that great and what works on the printed page doesn't always translate to film. The action was pretty intense, and I liked how they quickly introduced all the players and got on with the story.

The only thing that really bothered me was Billy Batson being able to say "Shazam" and not turn back. Is this how it is in the comics now? I know they're officially calling him Shazam instead of Captain Marvel, but being able to say the name without changing is really dumb.

2/4 Darkseid Eye Balls.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

404GoonNotFound posted:

Even though I still say Adrian Pasdar is an inferior Tony Stark to Eric Loomis.

I could not get past the first episode of Avengers Assemble because of this. Unlike the other replacement voice actors I just could not stand Tony's new voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sleepingbuddha posted:

The only thing that really bothered me was Billy Batson being able to say "Shazam" and not turn back. Is this how it is in the comics now? I know they're officially calling him Shazam instead of Captain Marvel, but being able to say the name without changing is really dumb.

Indeed this bugs me a lot. Apparently the magic lightning only comes down when he says the word and wants it to happen. If they wanted to get rid of the Captain Marvel name they could just call him Captain Thunder or something so they could keep his only weakness.

• Locked thread