Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-350-Italjet-trials-bike-W0QQAdIdZ178240431

How terrible of an idea is this? I've done restoration work on several cars now and I'm building a 72 CB550 from the frame up so I'm not worried about doing the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-350-Italjet-trials-bike-W0QQAdIdZ178240431

How terrible of an idea is this? I've done restoration work on several cars now and I'm building a 72 CB550 from the frame up so I'm not worried about doing the work.

Can you even find parts for one of those? If I were doing a restoration I'd want to make sure that I could at least source parts for the bike. I'd scout out the market for parts/parts bikes and then make a decision. Also 300$ for a bike that's thrashed like that sounds high.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Z3n posted:

Can you even find parts for one of those? If I were doing a restoration I'd want to make sure that I could at least source parts for the bike. I'd scout out the market for parts/parts bikes and then make a decision. Also 300$ for a bike that's thrashed like that sounds high.

I answered mine/your question and parts are nonexistent aside from used. I also didn't realize the guy was 250km away sooooo yeah.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamnit, the guy with the $2800 drz400sm is being unresponsive. I assume he sold the bike, would be nice if he'd loving let me know though.

I knew I shoulda forced a deposit into his hand. I have the cash now, guess I'll just wait until I find another good deal. :cry:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just took my MSF and picked up my license, and now I am looking for a first bike. Trying to go as cheap as possible for my first to see how much I like riding. I already bought a helmet, jacket, and gloves, and already own boots and jeans but I'll probably get pants to go with. Gloves are scorpion exo klaws, helmet scorpion exo 700, jacket Joe Rocket mil-spec with attachable reflector vest/stripes, handy since I'm active duty military and have additional requirements to ride into work on the army base.

The bike I'm looking at is a 2002 Buell Blast, 6800 miles. Owner bought it 3 weeks ago for a learner, but decided he's too tall for it. Fresh oil change and he replaced the clutch. I haven't looked at it in person yet.

I have a friend who has been riding for 5+ years safely and will check it out with me. If the owner isn't comfortable letting me ride it (is this standard? I've seen craigslist ads specifying no rides for prospective buyers) then I'll have the owner do a few laps and confer with my buddy.

Owner wants $1350, which is what he paid for it a few weeks ago. That's a little under KBB, especially given its mileage, though the owner said it has a few scratches. I expect to beat the poo poo out of this bike and make as many mistakes as I need to. Or, decide I hate riding altogether and get out without too much lost money (doubtful, I was hooked after day 1 of MSF beginner's course).

Anything else I should be wary of? The owner actually lives a few blocks from me, has the title, and accepts personal checks so I have a pretty good vibe that he's not interested in scamming me.

VVVV Is there a stigma on Blasts that I should be aware of

Zeris fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Blasts aren't the best bikes, but if you're just trying to get into it to sample riding, it's worth a shot. They're heavy, vibey, and underpowered, basically half of a harley engine.

But plenty of people have been happy enough with theirs, and if you think the guy's legit, that's worth something too. Plus at the price you can probably flip it without significant loss. I'd try and talk him down a little, and get some experience on it, and then once you've got a handle on things, you can figure out what you really want.

Usually if you've got cash in hand and are pretty prepared to buy the bike, they'll let you test ride it as long as you understand that if you dump it you're buying it.

Edit: Flames incoming as I just suggested someone buy a buell blast, bring it!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 7, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

We have an acquaintance from contra dancing who bought a Blast last year, and she loves the everlovin' hell out of it, and put 10 or 12 thousand miles on it over the summer.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Zeris posted:

The bike I'm looking at is a 2002 Buell Blast, 6800 miles. Owner bought it 3 weeks ago for a learner, but decided he's too tall for it. Fresh oil change and he replaced the clutch. I haven't looked at it in person yet.

First, congrats for getting into riding the right way. MSF + Gear will keep you alive.

Second, I took my MSF course on the Buell Blast, and it's not a bad bike . . . unless you've never ridden any other bike on the planet.

That is to say, I thought it was a pretty awful bike. It's VERY rough, even by thumper (single cylinder) standards. The front brake is grabby, and the rear brake is almost non-functional. I've heard other people complain that the clutch is really grabby too, but it didn't seem that bad to me.

I'm serious about the roughness, especially at idle. After ~3 hours on it my hands were starting to go numb, and I'm not exaggerating.

I think the Blast's only redeaming quality is that when coupled with the low seat, almost anyone can fit on it easily. We had women who were 4'11", and guys who were 6'4" and none seemed to have any problems.

But really, there are MUCH better starter bikes out there. Wonder how many times in this thread we can say "Ninja 250"?

Srsly though, Ninja 250. Similar riding position to the Buell, litte bit more power, MUCH MUCH SMOOTHER, crazy-cheap with endless parts availability. I see decent ones regularly for >$900 around here.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Even with my incredibly limited experience at the time, I felt the front brakes were so grabby to the point of being dangerous. At least one of the wipeouts/crashes in my MSF course was caused at least in part by an over-zealous application of front brake.

But OP should take it with a grain of salt, I'm not a very experienced rider either, in terms of what I've ridden.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Even with my incredibly limited experience at the time, I felt the front brakes were so grabby to the point of being dangerous. At least one of the wipeouts/crashes in my MSF course was caused at least in part by an over-zealous application of front brake.

But OP should take it with a grain of salt, I'm not a very experienced rider either, in terms of what I've ridden.

I've heard that complaint elsewhere too. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a great bike, or even a particularly good one, it's just that for a new rider, I'd rather buy a bike that was well maintained than a beater. The fun is in riding, after all. He'll figure out what he wants after some riding anyways...and most of the time, what people want isn't a ninja 250 or a buell blast. And at the price he should be easily able to flip it when he realizes how poo poo it is to some other newb who will beat on it and then sell it.

(Here comes the 250ADL...:sigh: :v:)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/1539672494.html

I talked to this guy and could probably get it for ~<$2800.. Only problem is it's a salvage from theft and not registered. Advice?

I don't have a truck. I assume I can't ride it to get registered. :confused:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

I talked to this guy and could probably get it for ~<$2800.. Only problem is it's a salvage from theft and not registered. Advice?

This depends on whether he has the actual title or not. Judging by the fact that it doesn't have plates, I'm guessing that by "salvage title" he means "salvaged by insurance but not retitled," which makes for a barrel of fun. Call him to find out if he has the title, if not, I don't think I'd bother. At best, you have to go to a dealer to get a brake/light inspection and then to the DMV or CHP for a VIN inspection if its not titled.

You could go to the DMV to get a temporary use permit for it, but you'd need the VIN.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
disregard this poo poo

soy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 8, 2010

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy crap, the guy was just outta town! Probably going out this weekend. He said it needed some lubing/oil but that he'd take care of it before I picked it up.

Could I possibly finally be getting a bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

Holy crap, the guy was just outta town! Probably going out this weekend. He said it needed some lubing/oil but that he'd take care of it before I picked it up.

Could I possibly finally be getting a bike?

Which guy was out of town? The first guy?

Because, gently caress it, I'm about ready to swoop that other DRZ...:v:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

soy posted:

Salvage title might mean the bike was wrecked and written off as a loss by an insurance company somewhere. According to my (admittedly short) research, CA isn't one of the 11 states that issue Salvage Titles to stolen vehicles (that get written off as a loss after a period of time).

I'd be wary and ask a lot of questions. Something smells fishy there. Do you have someone who knows bikes and can look it over?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Which guy was out of town? The first guy?

Because, gently caress it, I'm about ready to swoop that other DRZ...:v:

Yeah, go ahead and get it.

The first guy was, still has bike, and I'm gonna get it.

That other guy sounded like you could talk him down even further if you just came and took it off his hands. He's in north SD though wherever that is.

Doctor Zero posted:

I'd be wary and ask a lot of questions. Something smells fishy there. Do you have someone who knows bikes and can look it over?

Going for one that is not salvage, and yes my brother in law is pretty good mechanic. But I'll probably just test drive it around and if it's ok then I'll just take it. I know how to check basic stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Salvage title might mean the bike was wrecked and written off as a loss by an insurance company somewhere. According to my (admittedly short) research, CA isn't one of the 11 states that issue Salvage Titles to stolen vehicles (that get written off as a loss after a period of time).

You can get a salvage title off of a theft recovery in CA. It's not quite as common because the insurance company is the one who salvages the vehicle, but if a vehicle is stolen and then recovered and the insurance has paid out on it, it will be listed as a salvage title, because I think that the payout paperwork and salvage title are linked. Not absolutely positive on that, and don't have any first hand experience with it, but I have seen salvage titles as theft recoveries.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

You can get a salvage title off of a theft recovery in CA. It's not quite as common because the insurance company is the one who salvages the vehicle, but if a vehicle is stolen and then recovered and the insurance has paid out on it, it will be listed as a salvage title, because I think that the payout paperwork and salvage title are linked. Not absolutely positive on that, and don't have any first hand experience with it, but I have seen salvage titles as theft recoveries.

Okay, that makes sense. As long as someone gives it a good once-over it should be good. It's much harder to hide repairs on a bike than it is a car.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Okay, that makes sense. As long as someone gives it a good once-over it should be good. It's much harder to hide repairs on a bike than it is a car.

The fact that it's drat near impossible to hide repairs from a careful eye on a bike is the only reason I'm comfortable buying salvage title bikes. When I've got the 6R fixed up, it should be nearly indistinguishable from clean title bike, with fresh plastics, all appropriate repairs done, etc. I'll have been inside the engine down to the core and I'm more confident in that engine than I am the majority that I could buy. Salvage titles are all about being informed...if you know what you're getting into, they're fantastic. However, as always, there is still a risk of getting screwed...but that's true of buying any used vehicle.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Gorky (Jendywo's Maxim) is like this. She found out because she happened to get a hyper-vigilant CSP officer doing the VIN Inspection, who (not finding a VIN record in Colorado) did a 50-state search, figuring it came from *somewhere*, right? Wrote out on the VIN Inspection "Reported Stolen 1982", and left it at that.
CO DMV then required her to get a California title search, naturally.
Bought new in 1983, reported stolen, paid out, then it disappeared completely for 20-odd years.

Curiously, the CSP officer who did the inspection dinged her on the bike not having an odometer (though it had a speedometer, and an odometer is *not* called for in the description of Required Equipment for a Colorado Motorcycle). He said he didn't know how many miles were on the bike. She pointed out that if she went and bought a speedometer/odometer combination, mounted it, and brought it back, he *STILL* wouldn't know how many miles were on the bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I hate the prices of some of these 600cc or all sportbikes in general, I mean people are selling their 2-7 year old bikes for nearly new prices. Come on really? Considering dealers are unloading some of the old 09's they couldnt' sell for $2000+ off MSRP...

Personally I don't think modifcations to bikes should add resale value on them unless they're saddle/tail bags or something. I mean a car with some exhausts and different shift lever isn't worth anymore than stock to me is this wrong for me to think this regarding bikes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mods add no value. People are just tossing out stupid high prices in the hopes that someone will be dumb enough to buy.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

infraboy posted:

I hate the prices of some of these 600cc or all sportbikes in general, I mean people are selling their 2-7 year old bikes for nearly new prices. Come on really? Considering dealers are unloading some of the old 09's they couldnt' sell for $2000+ off MSRP...

Personally I don't think modifcations to bikes should add resale value on them unless they're saddle/tail bags or something. I mean a car with some exhausts and different shift lever isn't worth anymore than stock to me is this wrong for me to think this regarding bikes?

I think the rule is that the farkles are only worth something if they're farkles you yourself would have added. I paid more for my bike because it already had the heated grips, hand guards, mirrors, crash bars, air filter, turn signals, hard bags and center stand. There was an identical bike with fewer miles for sale locally to me as well, for about $800 cheaper, but it didn't have any of the stuff on it. Buying all the stuff would have cost way more then $800, the luggage alone was like $900, so it was worth it to me to get a bike with the stuff on it.

I think the difference is that the majority of mods you do to a bike are about functionality and performance, while on cars (especially modern cars) it's much more difficult to simply bolt on something that's actually useful.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Tsaven Nava posted:

I think the rule is that the farkles are only worth something if they're farkles you yourself would have added. I paid more for my bike because it already had the heated grips, hand guards, mirrors, crash bars, air filter, turn signals, hard bags and center stand. There was an identical bike with fewer miles for sale locally to me as well, for about $800 cheaper, but it didn't have any of the stuff on it. Buying all the stuff would have cost way more then $800, the luggage alone was like $900, so it was worth it to me to get a bike with the stuff on it.

I think the difference is that the majority of mods you do to a bike are about functionality and performance, while on cars (especially modern cars) it's much more difficult to simply bolt on something that's actually useful.

Yeah like I was saying I think saddle bags, different seats, heated grips, and other factory should be taken to account, but changing the windscreen color and using different levers doesn't make any sense in adding value overall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was some guy around here selling his 07 tri-color VFR for like $6600 a couple weeks ago.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

infraboy posted:

Because people are stupid and think that $$ spent on bike + cost of bike = value of bike.

These people typically used the word "invested" in ads like it's some kind of retirement account.

I SPENT $40,000 ON MY VEHICLE INSTEAD OF A 401k SO IT SHOULD BE WORTH $60,000 NOW, RIGHT? :hurr:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A lot of these kids are selling their bikes for what they owe on them, which sadly can be $10,000 for a 600.

They get the Yamaha credit card, pay full MSRP, make the $79/month payments the first couple times, then the interest rate skyrockets, add in tax and DMV fees, the gear they added in when they bought the bike, a late payment or two...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It looks like I'm going to pick up the 07 ZX6R. I didn't like the color of my old bike, this one is 2 years newer and has even less miles on it.

I'm not looking forward to the 600 instead of the 636 (I guess I'll just run it 500rpm higher and pretend not to notice), but I'm excited about not having to use that horrible LCD tach. Kawi fixed it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It looks like I'm going to pick up the 07 ZX6R. I didn't like the color of my old bike, this one is 2 years newer and has even less miles on it.

I'm not looking forward to the 600 instead of the 636 (I guess I'll just run it 500rpm higher and pretend not to notice), but I'm excited about not having to use that horrible LCD tach. Kawi fixed it.

The only nice thing about the LCD tach is the shift light at night. Besides that, it's horrible on the Z1000, and it's pretty horrible on the ZX6R. I desperately want an analog tach on my bikes.

A friend of mine just picked up a former keith code 07 ZX6R to race...post up when you get it and let us know how it compares to the 636 :D

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of these kids are selling their bikes for what they owe on them, which sadly can be $10,000 for a 600.

They get the Yamaha credit card, pay full MSRP, make the $79/month payments the first couple times, then the interest rate skyrockets, add in tax and DMV fees, the gear they added in when they bought the bike, a late payment or two...

There's a totally absurd 600 that a dealership that I know sold...it's stretched, blah blah blah...the best part is, the kid rolled his loan from his previous 600 that he totalled into the new bike, plus the cost of mods, he has a 30k loan on a 2 year old 600. And his parents are countersigned on the loan...astounding.

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
Going to look at a DR-Z400SM today as a prospective first bike. It an 06, 7k miles, in pictures it looks pristine. The owner added a full yoshi exhaust, a jet kit, and a few other odds and ends. He's asking $3900, which is right at KBB. Assuming the bike is in great condition, is that a decent price?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

There's a totally absurd 600 that a dealership that I know sold...it's stretched, blah blah blah...the best part is, the kid rolled his loan from his previous 600 that he totalled into the new bike, plus the cost of mods, he has a 30k loan on a 2 year old 600. And his parents are countersigned on the loan...astounding.

I have to wonder how a dealer (or anyone) could in good conscience do that to a kid, or anyone else except for an absurdly rich guy who wants a toy. And who is the loan officer at the Bank of Dumbass that signed off on it, cosign or not?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Gnomad posted:

in good conscience

Nope. Not even close. The salesman probably tripled his normal commission on that one.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Nobody who works at dealerships has a conscience. Or a soul. (ok maybe the service folks, Maybe). This from a guy who worked with several hundred dealerships across the states.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UncleSkunk posted:

Going to look at a DR-Z400SM today as a prospective first bike. It an 06, 7k miles, in pictures it looks pristine. The owner added a full yoshi exhaust, a jet kit, and a few other odds and ends. He's asking $3900, which is right at KBB. Assuming the bike is in great condition, is that a decent price?

It's a decent price. I'd try and talk him down lower, but DRZ-SMs have been holding their value really well.

Gnomad posted:

I have to wonder how a dealer (or anyone) could in good conscience do that to a kid, or anyone else except for an absurdly rich guy who wants a toy. And who is the loan officer at the Bank of Dumbass that signed off on it, cosign or not?

I dunno. Honestly, I think it comes down to "who are you to tell them what they can or can't buy"...especially considering that you have to live on that commission. If you tell the kid to gently caress off, he's just gonna walk to the next dealership down the strip and do the same thing. It's like the dilemma of having a used bike for sale and someone who probably can't handle it wants to buy it from you. Do you sell it to them?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

blugu64 posted:

Nobody who works at dealerships has a conscience. Or a soul.

I can't figure out how they live with themselves day in and day out. I mean, sure there's probably one or two decent guys out there, but it seems like most of them are just itching to suggest a 600RR bike to someone who's never ridden before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

I can't figure out how they live with themselves day in and day out. I mean, sure there's probably one or two decent guys out there, but it seems like most of them are just itching to suggest a 600RR bike to someone who's never ridden before.

I've got a number of friends at dealerships, and it really comes down to the customer drives the interaction. They're there to sell people motorcycles. If those people demand a 600, it's not up to them to convince them of the errors of their ways. I've got friends who work at the kawasaki dealership, and they try and push new people towards ninja 250s, but they're not the parents or the gatekeepers of motorcycling. If the custom wants a 600 and won't have anything else, they can toss in gear and stuff to keep them as safe as possible, but if they tell them "No, gently caress you, you can't have it", the guy's just gonna walk across the street to the next dealership, bitch about how those guys at the first one are assholes, and then buy their 600.

I wouldn't want to work at a dealership, but I've sold bikes to people who probably weren't qualified to ride them...but who am I to judge? I know people who have garage queen literbikes that they love and ride once every 6 months. I also know people who have started on liters and been fine, and plenty of people who have wadded bikes of all assortments at all skill levels. If someone asks me my opinion on it, I'll give my honest opinion, but I'm not going to be the :smug: gently caress that looks down from my tower and says "No, you are not qualified to ride this badass motherfucker of a motorcycle". I'm not their mother.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Nobody who works at dealerships has a conscience. Or a soul.

This is funny, because I was looking at the couple DRZs they had at Hollywood Honda and the guy that came up to talk to me just glazed over as soon as I asked for a test ride. I tried a couple smalltalk comments about the bike, and he literally stared over my right shoulder without responding until I got off of it and left.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

While we are discussing the guys who work at dealerships and selling bikes to those who might not be ready for that level of bike, I will explain this photo.

Claire is the lady standing by the bike, a bike she had just purchased after spending a season or 2 on a Kawi EX500. That bike killed her a week later on a ride to Seward when she went into a corner way too fast and ran into a guardrail.

In the end, the rider responsible for his or her actions, but I have to wonder if the salesman ever regrets making that particular sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That's what, a Dyna? Her old bike was probably a little quicker than that thing.