Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is that Jim Balent Catwoman or Long Halloween Catwoman, because I love Tim Sale, but god I hate that latter design. (Balent's boob-socks and stripper boots aren't much better, but at least it doesn't have the dumb ears and whiskers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't recall Azrael being in that select screen before, maybe that means he'll be playable in some solo capacity

I think any character without the yellow arrow is a PC Mod, but maybe Rocksteady will open that up through DLC. I hope they do.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Is that Jim Balent Catwoman or Long Halloween Catwoman, because I love Tim Sale, but god I hate that latter design. (Balent's boob-socks and stripper boots aren't much better, but at least it doesn't have the dumb ears and whiskers.)
Balent

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

eww yeah think i'm over complaining about the port quality. it's no longer cool

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If you're struggling with the firemen for too long, Alfred will literally just call you and tell you where the next one is via Intel. If you can't find it yourself before he tells you, that's on you, not on the game. I don't think it's a fair point to criticize. You can find it yourself if you're that kind of gamer and if you aren't, then the game has a failsafe to help you out.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SonicRulez posted:

If you're struggling with the firemen for too long, Alfred will literally just call you and tell you where the next one is via Intel. If you can't find it yourself before he tells you, that's on you, not on the game. I don't think it's a fair point to criticize. You can find it yourself if you're that kind of gamer and if you aren't, then the game has a failsafe to help you out.

On that note, is it just a timer of sorts then? I'm assuming that unless you take out the sky drones, then the helicopters cant come in and "hunt" them out? Same thing with the cop cars and the tanks that are roaming the streets.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

can someone explain to me who azrael is, why i've never heard of him before in my life, and why this assassins creed looking mother fucker is in my batman game + looking to succeed batman???????? this guy??????????????? seriously?????????????????????

are his parents even dead?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

He's almost as mentally hosed up as the Bat. So, all things considered, he's probably got about as much right to be batman as batman has. Though he has a tendency to take things a little too far.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Generic Monk posted:

can someone explain to me who azrael is, why i've never heard of him before in my life, and why this assassins creed looking mother fucker is in my batman game + looking to succeed batman???????? this guy??????????????? seriously?????????????????????

he's a crazy religious Batman from the comics who took over for Batman while he was recovering from Bane breaking his spine. He modified the batsuit to have razor claws and flamethrowers and poo poo and Batman had to beat him up to get him to stop killing criminals.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

the original azrael was some psychopathic fucker named jean-paul valley who was brainwashed by a thing called The System blah blah something but anyway once Batman got his back broked by Bane, he took over, built a robot batsuit, and brutally destroyed everyone in the rogues gallery, bane included. he had to step down once bruce got better and was like "gently caress that poo poo you crazy rear end in a top hat"

this new azrael however is a black guy who has none of that backstory idk who the gently caress he is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

Azrael originally appeared as a character who was brainwashed by an evil cult. Batman helps him break free of the brainwashing and he becomes a sort of de-facto sidekick. When Batman is crippled by Bane, Azrael (Jean-Paul Valley) takes over as Batman.Unfortunately the dude goes batshit and when Batman returns he has to take him down.

Since then other Azraels have appeared which basically amount to "A Batman who struggles with an innate urge to kill." The one in Arkham Knight is a blend of Jean-Paul and the newest Azrael Michael Lane.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Generic Monk posted:

His quest in this game is actually pretty cool.

Cool thing I learned today: Dwight Schultz (of A-Team fame!) voices someone in this game (sidequest spoiler): professor pyg

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kurtofan posted:

It looks like it should be but the first one bugged out for me. As soon as Batman grappled out, combat ended but the mooks stayed so I had to beat them up without them ever attacking Azrael. Also, Azrael seemed to have batman's identical moveset so I'm not sure if that's intended or what.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Kurtofan posted:

Cool thing I learned today: Dwight Schultz (of A-Team fame!) voices someone in this game (sidequest spoiler): professor pyg

While it was a nice break they were just very small challenge maps where you couldn't get hit.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm amazed none of those posts contain the word Knightfall at all.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

There is a very solid Audiobook called 'Batman: Knightfall' on youtube that is about the first Azrael. It's worth a listen if you want more batman and Azrael backstory.

Edit: Probably best to use the search term "Audiobook Youtube Batman: Knightfall" as if you just search youtube for "Knightfall" you may get Arkham Knight spoilers.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I loved freeroaming as Catwoman, and considering I love this game's portrayal of her much more than the last one

wait, what? why? doesn't she just exist as a reason for you to complete the riddler missions? i haven't played past the first one because I don't hate myself so correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that unequivocally worse, even taking into account the... issues with her portrayal in city? at least she had some semblance of agency there rather than just being a macguffin, right?

Kurtofan posted:

yeah, I like the premise (of the missions), I just have no idea who he is. maybe I'll give that audiobook a listen when i'm done with my 38hr unabridged anna karenina (on second thought I really must hate myself quite a bit)

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 29, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SectumSempra posted:

While it was a nice break they were just very small challenge maps where you couldn't get hit.

Gameplay wise it wasn't the most exciting thing but the storyline was pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

It looks like it should be but the first one bugged out for me. As soon as Batman grappled out, combat ended but the mooks stayed so I had to beat them up without them ever attacking Azrael. Also, Azrael seemed to have batman's identical moveset so I'm not sure if that's intended or what.

Azrael having Batman's move set is an explicit plot point, yes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Levantine posted:

something similar happened to me. During the 2nd challenge the thugs didn't even try to fight me, they were taunting and throwing bricks at Batman who was hanging out on a nearby pole.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AzBats, Final Form: Peak 90s Comic Book Design

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

wait, what? why? doesn't she just exist as a reason for you to complete the riddler missions? i haven't played past the first one because I don't hate myself so correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that unequivocally worse, even taking into account the... issues with her portrayal in city? at least she had some semblance of agency there rather than just being a macguffin, right?

Her dialogue was better in this game but definitely worse this time.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Do I need to mess with an ini file to set texture quality to high? Is normal the highest quality?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kin posted:

On that note, is it just a timer of sorts then? I'm assuming that unless you take out the sky drones, then the helicopters cant come in and "hunt" them out? Same thing with the cop cars and the tanks that are roaming the streets.

You probably have to take out the sky drones to let the helicopters return to the sky to get intel, but I'm not certain. I had taken them all down by the time I went to wrap up the firemen and bombs and stuff. I think it's part timer based, but I also think it might be objective base. I know I've gotten intel after finishing story missions. I also have gotten if after taking down like a Militia road block or something similar. I'd love to know the formula for how it works, actually.

Levantine posted:

The not attacking thing happened to me too, I figured that was the point. Azrael being identical to Batman is definitely intended.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

It's a fairly valid complaint flying around in detective mode looking for groups surrounding a person isn't something thats especially fun. Even if you do find them early or find them late, it's nothing but padding a sidequest thats mainly find group, beat group, talk to fire fighter. The bonus being when predator maps were attached.

The missions all slowly open up when you complete the tasks that clear the skies for helicopters and the ground for cops to patrol and report things to you.
it's why you can scope them out, or when you select the marker alfred says 'so and so has reported so and so in northern blah blah'

if the cops can't scan batman just says that he has to accomplish x mission with no markers so you just fly around looking.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Javes posted:

Do I need to mess with an ini file to set texture quality to high? Is normal the highest quality?

It seems like you do, yes. I don't quite know what unlocks the setting ingame but it's probably something like having a criminally huge amount of VRAM. I'd be interested to see what the performance/visual impact is since the textures are all pretty loving sharp on normal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, these batmobile sections are so slow and dull.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah except after having done everything else in the game I still had 3 or 4 firemen to find because the intel comes too slowly, so I spent a very long time gliding low and looking for groups which isn't even slightly fun.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Generic Monk posted:

Sure, but considering every single character in a Batman game exists to wait until Batman does the thing, I'm just happy that I'm not cringing every time she opens her mouth in this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the most damning thing to me about the Batmobile tank segments is that they appear to be basically identical to Leonardo's Tank from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and I can't figure out why you'd make THAT the thing you knock off.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I rolled my loving eyes when I saw that the first Riddler test you do is a loving race, like of course they had no idea what to do with this thing so they had you do a beat the clock thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kin posted:

He's almost as mentally hosed up as the Bat. So, all things considered, he's probably got about as much right to be batman as batman has. Though he has a tendency to take things a little too far.

So, he's just like Batman?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Neo Rasa posted:

More relevant to Arkham Knight, wasn't this how Jason came back to be the crazy Red Hood in that animated movie?

It is also the official New 52 origin as well, last I checked. New52 got rid of the reality crack thing that brought Jason back and basically just copied the origin from the movie.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Beef Chief posted:

I rolled my loving eyes when I saw that the first Riddler test you do is a loving race, like of course they had no idea what to do with this thing so they had you do a beat the clock thing.

I feel like the races would have been better/more thematic if they involved the Clock King rather than the Riddler.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

It's a fairly valid complaint flying around in detective mode looking for groups surrounding a person isn't something thats especially fun. Even if you do find them early or find them late, it's nothing but padding a sidequest thats mainly find group, beat group, talk to fire fighter. The bonus being when predator maps were attached.

The missions all slowly open up when you complete the tasks that clear the skies for helicopters and the ground for cops to patrol and report things to you.
it's why you can scope them out, or when you select the marker alfred says 'so and so has reported so and so in northern blah blah'

if the cops can't scan batman just says that he has to accomplish x mission with no markers so you just fly around looking.

the firefighter rescue segments are very diversionary even by the standard of the sidequests in this game; they really seem intended to be done on the way to something more interesting if you see one. if you're flying around hunting for them then you must be trying to do 100% completion, in which case you really need to take your happy pills and reduce your amount of free time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Javes posted:

lol if you're playing on pc

All the textures are giant low resolution blobs because they hosed up the port

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I'm mid-game at this point I think and the batmobile sections aren't really bothering me like they were. They're really overused at the beginning of the game (I feel like the game's screaming at me DON'T loving CLICK THAT STEAM REFUND BUTTON WE'VE GOT THE loving BATMOBILE LOOK AT IT) but it seems to have balanced out now and isn't too bad. Those stealth tank sections loving blow though.

ayn rand hand job posted:

lol if you're playing on pc

All the textures are giant low resolution blobs because they hosed up the port

in the spirit of not wanting to evoke 'batman arkham knight pc port ANGRY RANT!' the port's been relatively OK for me after I updated my drivers and uncapped the framerate. not flawlessly but I haven't run into anything unplayably bad performance wise. textures look lovely too. this is on an ati card too. not worth the full launch price but for the £20 I paid I'm not livid about it

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 29, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

How do i get back into the sewers (under construction) on founders island? I've gone into the lift and charged it up with the batmobile but nothing happens.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

the firefighter rescue segments are very diversionary even by the standard of the sidequests in this game; they really seem intended to be done on the way to something more interesting if you see one. if you're flying around hunting for them then you must be trying to do 100% completion, in which case you really need to take your happy pills and reduce your amount of free time.

Sure ok then. Someone needs to adjust their free time trying to do easy sidemissions to gain skills as opposed to tackling the 200+ riddler trophies. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

I'm mid-game at this point I think and the batmobile sections aren't really bothering me like they were. They're really overused at the beginning of the game (I feel like the game's screaming at me DON'T loving CLICK THAT STEAM REFUND BUTTON WE'VE GOT THE loving BATMOBILE LOOK AT IT) but it seems to have balanced out now and isn't too bad. Those stealth tank sections loving blow though.

the start of the game shoves the batmobile down your throat to an absurd level but gradually starts to be more and more about the classic stuff instead. stealth tank sucks no matter what and the final batmobile race/boss is going to destroy your brain but other than that it's not too bad, and this is coming from someone who legit wanted to quit after SO much tank poo poo in the first fifth of the main story. I think the zeppelin sequence onward is all gold.

• Locked thread