Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

So I'm playing Ms. Fortune and i thought I had hammered out a combo in the training mode but when I take it online it just fails to connect. Maybe its just me being bad but they keep teching before my super hits. Combo is:

lp lk mp mk hk jump lp mp hk -> Berserker Barrage super (or whatever its called, qcf+PP).

Now I am unsure if this is a true combo or not. Also, any neat tricks for Ms. Fortune being come up with lately? Really digging her so far.

Finishing an air combo with heavy kick seems to push too far away dudes to do any good damage. I'm a scrub who can't air dash cancel so I do :

c.lp c.lk c.mp s.mk s.hk j.lp j.lk j.mk (2hits) qcb.mk s.lp s.hp 3xqcf.hp xx qcf.PP

Which seems to work midscreen but I sometimes drop it between the s.mk and qcf.mp after the air combo. Any tips?

edited for working combo.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

So I'm playing Ms. Fortune and i thought I had hammered out a combo in the training mode but when I take it online it just fails to connect. Maybe its just me being bad but they keep teching before my super hits. Combo is:

lp lk mp mk hk jump lp mp hk -> Berserker Barrage super (or whatever its called, qcf+PP).

Now I am unsure if this is a true combo or not. Also, any neat tricks for Ms. Fortune being come up with lately? Really digging her so far.

Some knockdowns will look like you can otg them out of it but they can tech roll out of the combo. Look for a pink ring when they hit the ground, if you see it, they won't tech out. Alternatively, you can end the air section with qcb+k xx qcb+kk, or air qcb+hp to ground bounce and extend the combo.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

After visiting the SRK Painwheel thread, I shamelessly stole a couple combos from poster Urichinan: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-painwheel-thread-you-spin-me-right-round.147646/page-6#post-6811858

quote:

Off of a jump-in or cr.LK use this:

LP/LK/cr.LP/cr.LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.MK > Fly > F+j.MK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF/F (Wait) DF+j.LK > LP > MP > j.MP(4) > Fly > F+j.LP > j.MK > cr.LP > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.HK(5) > cr.MP(4) > HP > QCF+LP > Dash > LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > j.HP(4) > Land > QCF+MK

Off of a throw, use:

Throw > Fly > F+j.LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.MK > LP > MP > j.MP(4) > Fly > F+j.LP > j.MK > cr.LP > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.HK(5) > cr.MP(4) > HP > QCF+LP > Dash > LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > j.HP(4) > Land > QCF+MK > QCF+PP (Super doesn't work on Double since it's an OTG)

If you're close enough by the end of each combo you can follow them up with an OTG cr.LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > DD+K > QCF+PP instead. But that part doesn't work on Double, however, the rest does.

The first combo does almost 7000 meterless and seems to carry corner to corner. If it carries to the corner, I've had issues with the qcf+MK not connecting, so you can omit it and instead tack on the c.LK c.MK c.HP XX d,d+K (no mash) XX super ender and be just fine.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Waverhouse posted:

try LP LK MP MK HK jump LK MK QCB K QCB KK, basically its similar to yours, but you hit them with her axe kick and follow with a better super.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Someone deviantart posted all the sprites for the background characters in Little Innsmouth. I guess they're pretty cool.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

AXE COP posted:

Someone deviantart posted all the sprites for the background characters in Little Innsmouth. I guess they're pretty cool.

awesome find!

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

AXE COP posted:

The hammerhead must be Science Shark's ne'er-do-well cousin.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Waverhouse posted:

MF's j.hk is super easy to tech on the OTG. Try to end your juggles with j.mk -> j.214LK/MK. You can connect s.lp after that, which will lead to another launch.

Grimarest posted:

Finishing an air combo with heavy kick seems to push too far away dudes to do any good damage. I'm a scrub who can't air dash cancel so I do :

c.lp c.lk c.mp s.mk s.hk j.lp j.lk j.mk (2hits) qcb.mk c.lk s.mk 3xqcf.mp xx qcf.PP

Which seems to work midscreen but I sometimes drop it between the s.mk and qcf.mp after the air combo. Any tips?

Are you sure it's not character specific? I've found that doing rekkas after an OTG only really works on Filia, and most other characters drop out of it after the first or second rekka.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

inthesto posted:

Are you sure it's not character specific? I've found that doing rekkas after an OTG only really works on Filia, and most other characters drop out of it after the first or second rekka.

I just tried my combo and there's a blue spark I didn't notice after the air combo if you c.lk because it's too slow. I changed it to :: s.lp s.hp 3xrekkas.hp xx super :: and it works on Peacock and I managed to land it on a Ms. Fortune online. Mp rekkas doesn't seem to hit reliably midscreen. Does about 5200 damage at 1.0x multiplier. So the full combo is :

c.lp c.lk c.mp s.mk s.hk j.lp j.lk j.mk (2hits) qcb.mk s.lp s.hp 3xqcf.hp xx qcf.PP

Works in the corner and midscreen.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 17, 2012

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Grimarest posted:

I just tried my combo and there's a blue spark I didn't notice after the air combo if you c.lk because it's too slow. I changed it to :: s.lp s.hp 3xrekkas.hp xx super :: and it works on Peacock and I managed to land it on a Ms. Fortune online. Mp rekkas doesn't seem to hit reliably midscreen. Does about 5200 damage at 1.0x multiplier. So the full combo is :

Works in the corner and midscreen.

How to squeeze more damage out of this setup: Change your juggle from j.lp j.lk j.mk to j.mp j.hp air dash j.mk. I know you said you can't do air dash cancels, but seriously put the time into being able to air dash cancel her j.hp. It's worth it and makes you feel baller as gently caress. Changing the juggle to that will get you about 5.6k with 1.0X damage multiplier, which obviously only gets bigger as the multiplier goes up.

Thanks for the heads up on s.lp s.hp being a restand after an OTG, though. Wasn't aware of that and I think that opens way more combos.

Last note, you can combo MF's j.214P after a j.mk. I'm not familiar with her headless combos yet, but it's something to explore.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

AXE COP posted:

Guess what the joke behind the sea urchin is. He's a street urchin! God bless you, Reverge.

Also that nauti-lass is pretty great.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Guess I'll have to get better at air canceling, that's some decent damage added, thanks.

After an air qcf+mk and qcf+P I think you can do a head command grab after an OTG but I haven't fooled around with her headless stuff.

Anyone found a good way to do Ms. Fortune qcb+K on the ground? I can't seem to input it like Makoto's by ending the motion up-back.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 17, 2012

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

AXE COP posted:

If the giant isopod guy isn't on the DLC list I don't think I'll ever be able to get over my disappointment.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The dorito-eating isopod is probably my favorite reference in the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Here's how I got used to air dash canceling with MF:

(whatever) -> launch -> j.hp -> air dash -> j.hp

You get the rhythm of it after a while. While the combo itself is only useful against Filia and Cerebella (it fucks up your air positioning a lot, and those two are the only characters both light and fat enough for you to be able to connect a j.214MK afterwards), you feel like Mag-loving-neto in real life every time you do it. Going from that to j.mp -> j.hp -> air dash -> j.mk is easy as hell.

EDIT: Any other MF players have any insight as to what IAD normal to use when the head flies off?

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 17, 2012

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

AXE COP posted:

These guys are really cool and as much as I love the design of the game this picture highlights a huge problem I have with a lot of stuff's design lately. All the men in this picture have really cool diverse designs with completely different body types and all the girls in the picture really look like they could all be the same person with different body makeup on. If you took all all their fish parts and lined them all up in silhouette the men would still be really easily distinguishable from each other and the girls would all look exactly the same.

Again I've been loving this game from day one and I really like it's setting, but this is just a larger trend that it's guilty of.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Interrupting Ms. Fortune protalk with Ms. Fortune babbys-first-fighting-game talk

Everywhere I hear that j.HP is a good crossup, but I can never get it to hit as one. When I try to use it, it generally doesn't start up before I land, and even if it does it doesn't seem to ever crossup. How are people using it?

Is it possible to IAD into it? Even entering it as quickly as possile after an IAD seems to land before it comes out, but that could just be me being slow.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Being able to cross up with IAD j.hp on MF is actually character dependent. Obviously you can't do it against Double and Parasoul is also tall enough that you're not going to fly over her. Most other characters can be crossed up depending on how you time it - funny enough, it's actually hard NOT to cross up Peacock because her hitboxes are so small.

Also if you can't get IAD j.hp to come out, you're probably doing it too slowly. Your finger needs to be hitting the hard punch almost exactly the same moment you input the dash. The timing kind of feels like a kara-throw from Street Fighter 3, or maybe a plink from Street Fighter 4 (I didn't play characters that were link heavy in SF4, so I dunno if the plinking comparison is actually apt).

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

AXE COP posted:

Oh god wanna play cleaverlobster so bad

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
What's the deal with voice chat on the PS3? I don't use it but I just played a game where someone's voice was coming through like static, and I'm pretty sure they were poo poo-talking me but I couldn't hear and so I ended up mostly ignoring it. Can people tell when you don't have headphones on or when you're not listening, or do they just kind of talk for the sake of talking?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

AXE COP posted:

The guy in the top left has a steering wheel on the front of his pants.

"It's driving me nuts."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

The guy in the top left has a steering wheel on the front of his pants.

"It's driving me nuts."

Thank you for pointing this out. I can't stop laughing.

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

Playing this game online is about the most discouraging thing in the world for someone who has been trying to get into fighting games. I picture the people I am fighting against reaching some high level of zen where they are blind folded and the controller levitates in front of them and they input the commands through their mind.

I don't know if everyone is insanely good or I'm insanely bad, but either way it's a pretty soul crushing experience.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does this game really require a fightstick to be competitive online, like SF4?

Or can you still kick rear end with a regular controller, like Soul Calibur?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

SF4 doesn't require a fight stick to be good and neither does this game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ataridc posted:

Playing this game online is about the most discouraging thing in the world for someone who has been trying to get into fighting games. I picture the people I am fighting against reaching some high level of zen where they are blind folded and the controller levitates in front of them and they input the commands through their mind.

I don't know if everyone is insanely good or I'm insanely bad, but either way it's a pretty soul crushing experience.

If anything , it sounds like the matchmaking is really bad.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ChocNitty posted:

You can get good with anything provided you practice.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

ataridc posted:

Hey bud. Here is a point of consolation for you: everyone who is good at fighting games now went through this when they were first starting out. Fighting games are pretty physically and mentally demanding, if you think about it, and losing pretty much constantly for a couple months or so is just the logical progression of attaining the awareness and understanding needed to excel at these games. When you first start out, you will lose, a lot, and you will continue losing a lot for quite a long time.

One thing you can do to make losing easier is to stop looking at your losses as losses, strictly speaking. Not that you shouldn't care about winning; after all, wanting to beat people is the whole point of this genre. :) But you can make losing productive by trying to take something away from every game you lose. If every game is a learning experience for you, then there's no need to get upset about a loss.

Here's some things you can do to make your practice time productive:
-Try and learn something about each match you play, whether accidentally stumbling on something new your character can do combo-wise, or learning that Filia's Move X beats Cerebella's Move Y, or figuring figuring out that something is punishable that you never knew you could punish before.
-Keep a notebook with you while you play, and reserve a page for each relevant matchup, taking notes in between games.
-Record your matches - the quality doesn't matter as long as you can see what's going on - and watch them a few hours after you finish playing, and try to analyze them. Why did you lose? Why did the other guy win? At what point did the scales tip from one direction to the other, and what can you do to make it happen more often in the future (if you won) or prevent it from happening (if you lost). If you're having trouble, you can always upload your match vids and let us critique them!
-Don't play ranked matches. Ranked matches are fun because they're fast and easy to get into, but there's a lot of bullshit in ranked matches. Gimmicky, trollish teams, button mashers, people with lag switches and other horse poo poo that actively hinders your growth as a player abounds in any fast, anonymous single-match format. Player matches, even against random people, are a lot more likely to use your practice time productively. Playing a long set against a single player, a single character, or in this game's case a single team, gives you a lot more opportunities to learn matchups as well as match psychology, bringing me to my next point...
-Build a network of people to practice against regularly, preferably by running long sets with the same characters/teams. The people you practice with should, ideally, have lots of different playstyles, characters, and approaches to the game, but a majority of your competition needs to be significantly better than you. People debate back and forth about the merits of this, but I really feel strongly about this - how do you compete against top players? There's only one way to do it. You have to play against players who are on that level. Competition that forces you to play at 100% all the time will force you to improve a lot faster than people who are also new to fighting games. Forming a network of all fighting game noobs will let you win games, but it also creates a hugbox effect where you're all just kinda OK with each other's bad habits because none of you know how to play the game correctly. It's ok to practice with someone who's on the same level as you, but you need a few people on your friends list who will whip your rear end every time and then tell you what you did wrong. :)

Most importantly on this list, IMO, take breaks. No matter how good your attitude is, you're probably gonna get frustrated sometimes, but you need to train yourself to stop and put the controller down when you feel yourself start to get angry, even if it means not playing for a few days. If you come back to the game with fresh eyes you'll probably feel a lot better than the last time you played.

These are all just suggestions, but I mostly wanted to reassure you that everyone goes through what you're going through. There's IRC channels, google spreadsheets and XBL/PSN metatags for finding goons to play against, and we're largely a pretty good bunch to have as practice buddies. I'm just kinda barely OK at fighting games, but I have a pretty good handle on the strategy, so if you want a practice buddy who'll (nicely!) tear your game to pieces afterwards, I'm on XBL as sadejester. Feel free to grab me anytime you see me online since my Xbox is pretty much The Fighting Game Machine around my house.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Fighting games are notorious for raising a temper, just by the nature of them.
Sade's post is pretty sagelike in it's explanation.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
We all usually hang out in #goonsgarden on synIRC. If you want to learn the game, hang out there and ask for games. We'll explain things to you win or lose. If it boils down to it there are probably even those of us willing to jump on Skype during games for realtime coaching.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I don't play online a lot but if someone wants to play some sets against my Painwheel/Parasoul so I can drop all my cool Painwheel combos and then look like an idiot with Parasoul, my PSN is ShadowNinja64.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking about trying out Double/Cerebella, because I am dead set on figuring out a way to make Double's head super work like Strider/Doom and Cerecopter seems like it could be a decent enough rocks analog.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx66cccr00s

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Yo jmcrofts could you tell whoever decided that successfully landing a throw during the loving throw tech tutorial counts as a failed round to go gently caress themselves? I blocked the high mixup but apparently Cerebella's throw is better than Ms. Fortune's because I got the throw (rather than teching her telegraphed attempt) and then I lost my streak as a result. I know I'm not good at games and should be able to comfortably breeze through that tutorial if I were any good at games (rather than the miserable half hour it's been) but getting a successful move treated as failure was possibly the most infuriating thing that's happened to me tonight.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
8wayrun hosted an exciting tournament for Skullgirls tonight with the archive here: http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/315336600
If you can tune out the cycling commentators trying to say the music sucks or decrying it as an "anime game", the matches are a blast to watch through, especially the later round sets. It's fun to watch players claim at least half the cast is overpowered or broken so early into the metagame. While several demonstrate how powerful Double's invincible assist is, especially with Peacock's minefield capability, Brandon goes quite far with his terrifying Valentine and Filia rushdown that very late into the tourney starts adding in IPS burst baiting into throws after the burst is blocked.
Also demonstrated is the unique *Leader* notification on the top of the screen (that the stream organizer is quite happy with how well the game's ui meshes with his stream display) denoting what team has the life lead that's featured in a couple last-second lead switches.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Grimarest posted:

Guess I'll have to get better at air canceling, that's some decent damage added, thanks.

After an air qcf+mk and qcf+P I think you can do a head command grab after an OTG but I haven't fooled around with her headless stuff.

Anyone found a good way to do Ms. Fortune qcb+K on the ground? I can't seem to input it like Makoto's by ending the motion up-back.

That's because the axe kick can only be done if you're moving forward. Tiger-kneeing her axe kick is nigh-on pointless anyway - you keep your jump arc after the move comes out, so MF does the axe kick an inch off the ground then continues to sail in the original direction of her jump. On top of that, I'm not even sure if it hits crouchers, and even if it did, her axe kick isn't an overhead anyway. Plus, your options are limited if it hits: only HK version allows you to combo off it without spending a bar to cancel into super.

The Fortune BnB I've been using I saw on the PowerUp stream over the weekend:

[Requires head, start with any combination of jumping attacks, lows, whatever, such that you chain into...] s.HP xx HP Rekkas - qcf.K (low) finisher, dash, s.LK s.HK j.MP j.HP airdash j.MK(2 hits) xx [A Thing]

You can cancel the j.MK into a lot of Things - MK axe kick xx air super, headspike (qcb.P), or just j.HK. I'm a fan of ending in headspike, since the massive ground bounce you get after that allows you to dash up, jump, and reset them with an air normal. Depending on the timing (which is kinda finicky), you can land on either side of them. Whatever the case, it's a good mixup opportunity. Also, if you end up in the corner with this combo, headspike -> reset puts them in the perfect position to do her head loops if you manage to land a hit off the reset.

Speaking of her head loops, get a load of this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbpn19gnde4

e: I wonder, does that restand at the start of the combo work anywhere? I'll have to test that tomorrow.

UberChair fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 18, 2012

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Was really on the fence about this one. I'm so use to magic series stuff that I knew it'd be a struggle having to slow down and stop my brain from going into dial-a-combo mode. But, I liked where the money was going, so I picked it up and am trying to get a feel for Painwheel. Not really the best character to start out rolling with but what can I say, I'm into girls that hurt themselves.

It isn't the most fun thing I've ever jumped in on. My fingers hurt and even though it's not some insurmountable issue, it does take a bit of finesse to work a pad, where I think a stick would have a bit more ease of use. Still, I'm learning things and am having a good enough time in training mode. The real problem is time - I like marvel a lot, with SFxT still on my radar and skullgirls climbing up the interest ladder. I suck at all of them, but don't really have a lot of time to grind away online matches to get better. Gets tough deciding which one to get into.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
I figured out last night that Double's throw range is really big, so now instead of just mashing j.HP with her I alternate between mashing j.HP and mashing throw. So now I'm up to two moves I can do with Double.

Here's my sick throw combo I was trying out last night:

Throw > Dash > s.LK, s.HK > Make poo poo Up

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

may contain peanuts posted:

I figured out last night that Double's throw range is really big, so now instead of just mashing j.HP with her I alternate between mashing j.HP and mashing throw. So now I'm up to two moves I can do with Double.

Here's my sick throw combo I was trying out last night:

Throw > Dash > s.LK, s.HK > Make poo poo Up

Good poo poo. I need to start practicing with her more [ I spend most of my time on peacock]. I need to start figuring out how to do decent stuff and how I can follow up after throws and supers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Dizz posted:

Good poo poo. I need to start practicing with her more [ I spend most of my time on peacock]. I need to start figuring out how to do decent stuff and how I can follow up after throws and supers.
Yeah I have the same problem, when Peacock dies and Double has to come out I don't really know what to do. That's why last night I spent a significant number of games just running solo Double, you know, just to get more of a feel for running her on point. All I really managed to figure out was the throw thing, but what, it kept working. Once my training partner starts teching throws consistently I'll probably have to learn something else, but until then I'm gonna mash LP+LK.

Something important about comboing off Double's throw is that you have to use your one OTG right at the beginning to pick them up, so you can't just end combos with Barrel > Super which is what I would normally do. I think you can still end in super if you get a restand and then end the combo with s.HP > Super, which doesn't seem to count as using your OTG for some reason.

• Locked thread