Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Rutibex posted:

*And even though Caesars army crushed the NCR forces, and managed to overrun the NCR homeland, they where soon defeated 6 months later by A FEARSOME ARMY OF ROBOSCAWPIONS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rutibex posted:

None of the DLC makes any sense. Why would anyone fight over Hoover Dam for any faction, when you could instead tell that faction about the Sierra Madre or Big MT? Who gives a poo poo about Hoover Dam when you could have the 100% functional generators of the Madre or Big MT in addition to all the technology within? It would throw the balance of power so far in one sides favor that the Dam becomes pointless.

Heck the technology in those DLC locations is enough that the player could conceivably give it to the broken down Brotherhood of Steel and transform them into a viable ending faction, rather than canon fodder.

Generators at those places probably don't make as much as the dam the Hoover Dam makes a SHITTON of electricity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
On the other hand the vending machines at the Madre make infinite food and supplies.

It is a really cool moment to get to the end of Dead Money and ask Elijah exactly what the treasure of the Sierra Madre is that he wants to take, and he says "isn't it obvious, I want the unlimited food generators and the invincible army of holograms".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

On the other hand the vending machines at the Madre make infinite food and supplies.

Now stop them from making bomb collars and hard-light death squads.

Yeah, I half-expected Elijah to mock-laugh me too. The answer to the problem of resource scarcity is at your fingertips, and half the player base is still after some shiny blocks.

v v v I suddenly want to install Hsu as supreme dictator for life. Dude has discretion.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 31, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
COURIER: Good afternoon Colonel Hsu, I've located a cache of technology that would be invaluable in helping the NCR hold Hoover Dam!
HSU: Go on.
COURIER: It's the same place that kind of made nightstalkers and cazadores, but…
HSU: NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hoover Dam also does its job without the risk of Science! backfiring.

OWB is kinda of annoying in how it funnels your Courier, though. Drunk cowboy luddite? 1-INT Fist of Caesar? Drugged-up cannibal? Well now you're a clever cyborg mad scientist who wants to use all the tech of Big MT. Even killing the Think Tank is apparently only done so the Courier can have MT all to themselves.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rutibex posted:

None of the DLC makes any sense. Why would anyone fight over Hoover Dam for any faction, when you could instead tell that faction about the Sierra Madre or Big MT? Who gives a poo poo about Hoover Dam when you could have the 100% functional generators of the Madre or Big MT in addition to all the technology within? It would throw the balance of power so far in one sides favor that the Dam becomes pointless.

Heck the technology in those DLC locations is enough that the player could conceivably give it to the broken down Brotherhood of Steel and transform them into a viable ending faction, rather than canon fodder.

The main plot in Dead Money is literally about this. It's Elijah's whole plan.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Hedgehog Pie posted:

*And even though Caesars army crushed the NCR forces, and managed to overrun the NCR homeland, they where soon defeated 6 months later by A FEARSOME ARMY OF ROBOSCAWPIONS*
Caesar was then cured of his brain tumor, only to have his brain removed and stuck into an even smaller Securitron model than Muggy, which was then given to Muggy to abuse to his heart's content.

Poor Muggy. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khy posted:

I wish most of the companion endings weren't so bittersweet. I mean, I'm the biggest badass ever to grace the Mojave, but in the end Arcade and Veronica still don't end up happily ever after.

Arcade can get a sort of nice ending with an Independent Vegas. It might not be everything he hoped for, but it's still better in his eyes than what he saw before.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arcade can get a sort of nice ending with an Independent Vegas. It might not be everything he hoped for, but it's still better in his eyes than what he saw before.

I guess. Veronica's ending kinda sucks no matter what. Either her 'home' and her 'family' end up dead, or she's an outcast forever. Wish a female courier could seduce her and give her a new home to make up for the brotherhood being a collective group of dicks.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is kinda odd, since the Followers ending makes no distinction between House's Vegas, Indy Vegas with Robot Army and Indy Vegas without Robot Army.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Nah man you just need to ~~let go~~~

I would totally dig minor factions getting the chance to step up more than they do currently though. If only to lead a glorious Brotherhood crusade to steal all the poor people's cool lasers and gadgets

khy posted:

I guess. Veronica's ending kinda sucks no matter what. Either her 'home' and her 'family' end up dead, or she's an outcast forever. Wish a female courier could seduce her and give her a new home to make up for the brotherhood being a collective group of dicks.

It's a total shame because I love her character but I kind of like that even Jesus-Courier can't wave his magic wand rifle/sledgehammer/grenade launcher/laser rifle/fist/other followers and make everyone completely happy. Plus I think the slow death of the selfish tech-hoarders in a world that's rebuilding without them is a stronger story when partly told by one of their young members questioning what they stand for and despairing at the answers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was kind of hoping that with DM installed we can tell Veronica about where Christine was, or at least figure out the connection. Of course, getting back to the Sierra Madre might prove a problem.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Frankly posted:

It's a total shame because I love her character but I kind of like that even Jesus-Courier can't wave his magic wand rifle/sledgehammer/grenade launcher/laser rifle/fist/other followers and make everyone completely happy. Plus I think the slow death of the selfish tech-hoarders in a world that's rebuilding without them is a stronger story when partly told by one of their young members questioning what they stand for and despairing at the answers.

Oh, I agree. I totally like the whole 'Reformation or extinction' thing going on with the Brotherhood, and I agree that it's a great story. I just wish there was a way to make Veronica's ending happier because she's so drat cheerful and such a fun companion that I always feel a little sad that her endings, even the very best ones, usually end up with her all alone in the wastelands.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The last playthrough I did I made it a point not to pick her up as a companion, because "Destroy the Brotherhood bunker" is typically where my games end because I don't want to lose her.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I pick up Veronica and do her quest before wiping out the Brotherhood bunker. I just make it a point not to talk to her again after the bunker has been cleared out. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's also got a decent NCR ending. He's happy the Legion got its rear end kicked, and he eventually goes back west to work as a teacher. There's also mention of hoping Freeside would stay independent, but considering one of the endings for Freeside has just that, can't see him being too depressed.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The most depressing character ending is Primm Slim's if you let the Legion win. He doesn't understand what's going on and tries to resist, but is quickly taken out by the Legion, possibly along with the rest of Primm. RIP Primm Slim. :(

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

khy posted:

Oh, I agree. I totally like the whole 'Reformation or extinction' thing going on with the Brotherhood, and I agree that it's a great story. I just wish there was a way to make Veronica's ending happier because she's so drat cheerful and such a fun companion that I always feel a little sad that her endings, even the very best ones, usually end up with her all alone in the wastelands.

Oh for sure. Telling her to try ranged combat for the first time was just one of those many :unsmith: moments along with pretty much every other time she's punched someone's head off and had something cheery to say right afterwards.

closeted republican posted:

The most depressing character ending is Primm Slim's if you let the Legion win. He doesn't understand what's going on and tries to resist, but is quickly taken out by the Legion, possibly along with the rest of Primm. RIP Primm Slim. :(

Primm Slimm is one of my favourite things about New Vegas. I mean I've just found a town under siege from ex-convicts armed with shitloads of dynamite who killed their sheriff and his wife and here's this cowboy robot telling me all about this cheesy crime couple who accidentally got shot at someone else's bank robbery hundreds of years ago. AND I can make HIM the sheriff when I clear out the powder gangers. And you can hear his acceptance speech on the radio! Completely newvegas.txt for me

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Frankly posted:

Oh for sure. Telling her to try ranged combat for the first time was just one of those many :unsmith: moments along with pretty much every other time she's punched someone's head off and had something cheery to say right afterwards.

Primm Slimm is one of my favourite things about New Vegas. I mean I've just found a town under siege from ex-convicts armed with shitloads of dynamite who killed their sheriff and his wife and here's this cowboy robot telling me all about this cheesy crime couple who accidentally got shot at someone else's bank robbery hundreds of years ago. AND I can make HIM the sheriff when I clear out the powder gangers. And you can hear his acceptance speech on the radio! Completely newvegas.txt for me

I made Slim sheriff on my very first run and holy poo poo I was grinning so hard when I heard him on the radio. It's moment's like that that really endear a person to a game, even for such a small thing.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Rutibex posted:

The Think Tank puts a chip in your brain that prevents you from telling anyone about Big MT and you can't find the Sierra Madre after you leave it because the terrain is too difficult.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Doug Lombardi posted:

The Think Tank puts a chip in your brain that prevents you from telling anyone about Big MT and you can't find the Sierra Madre after you leave it because the terrain is too difficult.

That second one seems a little too forced, even when put next to the one about Big MT. I would accept, however, that Christine wouldn't allow any scouts from the Legion or NCR to survive to return with information even if you did give them the general direction.

e: I guess that requires you to have not killed her (I have never killed her)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Garrand posted:

I made Slim sheriff on my very first run and holy poo poo I was grinning so hard when I heard him on the radio. It's moment's like that that really endear a person to a game, even for such a small thing.

I really love the radio in New Vegas. Compared to Fallout 3, where the radio mostly existed for Three Dog to alternatively fellate/condemn the PC, Radio New Vegas really helps to place the Courier's actions in context within the wider wasteland while also providing much more background on both the factions and New Vegas itself. Plus, I could listen to Wayne Newton (Or Tabitha) all day :allears:

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Garrand posted:

I did the same, it's such a good moment. Even getting the guy from NCRCF to be sheriff is a good laugh. And hearing No-Bark on the radio after Fly Me To The Moon, basically the radio is great even if it does mean getting Johnny Guitar or Big Iron stuck in your head for hours.

I would forgive Obsidian for anything after hearing Tabitha tell me all about the BATTLE CATTLE

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CommissarMega posted:

I was kind of hoping that with DM installed we can tell Veronica about where Christine was, or at least figure out the connection. Of course, getting back to the Sierra Madre might prove a problem.

I do like that they went to the trouble of letting you tell her about Father Elijah and even give her a holorecording to get a bonus to her stats.

From what I remember reading one of the reasons why they weren't able to do reactions regarding the events in Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road was because John Doman voices Caesar and since he's a comparatively high-profile actor they weren't able to spend the money and time to organize a recording session for a few pieces of extra dialogue.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They didn't get Veronica's actress back either, that dialogue was recorded before the game came out. It was cleverly disguised as a quest about a dead ghoul or something so people who went snooping through the voice files wouldn't guess the plot of the DLC.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

2house2fly posted:

They didn't get Veronica's actress back either, that dialogue was recorded before the game came out. It was cleverly disguised as a quest about a dead ghoul or something so people who went snooping through the voice files wouldn't guess the plot of the DLC.

I remember this! Or at least I remember a discussion about how Father Elijah is a ghoul before Dead Money came out, because 'someone looked in the files'.

Personally I think that the Ghoul Elijah/Veronica bit was originally slated to be in the game, but due to the rush was cut. But then they realized they could easily make DLC out of it and made the Sierra Madre instead of the original plan. This is all just speculation of course.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 1, 2015

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What I really like about Veronica's quest is that you actually have the option to say "I can't make this decision for you"... and she doesn't just respond with "No, really, you should make this decision for me!" like so many other games would. It fits too. It's like when you're dating someone you really like but also having to spend time with their annoying friends. Veronica's a cool lady, you just have to admit that you will occasionally have to deal with her muppet Brotherhood buddies too if you want to hang out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It feels kind of petty in a game that does cover its bases so well, but it's odd you can't tell her you've joined the BoS.

"Ever heard of a group called the Brotherhood of Steel?"

"Yeah, they're OK, I guess", the Paladin said, shrugging his power armored shoulders.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Byzantine posted:

It feels kind of petty in a game that does cover its bases so well, but it's odd you can't tell her you've joined the BoS.

"Yeah, they're OK, I guess", the Paladin said, shrugging his power armored shoulders.

I always dismissed a lot of holes in the dialogue choices as you being scathingly sarcastic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Considering how the Courier is more of an honourary member, rather than having gone through the entire training process, I can see why they'd be neutral about them. "Yeah, they're OK I suppose? On the one hand, they keep the technology, power armour and poo poo. On the other, they're a bunch of total dicks so..." Probably with a non-committal hand gesture.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Byzantine posted:

Which is kinda odd, since the Followers ending makes no distinction between House's Vegas, Indy Vegas with Robot Army and Indy Vegas without Robot Army.

Aren't the Followers ending slides bugged out?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Theta Zero posted:

I always dismissed a lot of holes in the dialogue choices as you being scathingly sarcastic.

I always wish there was at least one branch of dialogue in every conversation that was unbelievably sarcastic. To the point where you don't know it's the sarcastic choice till whoever you're talking to gets super pissed.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

I don't know anything about that but IIRC the ending pretty much just says that any kind of Independent Vegas throws Freeside into more turmoil overwhelming the Followers resources.

On the topic of the Followers I find it funny that the canon ending for them from FO1 is an ending that you literally couldn't get due to the NPC being cut.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Man, between finishing up Dead Money for the first time last night and this post, I’m depressed…

However, now I’m wondering what would happen if the Legion met the other robot badass of the Mojave Wasteland…

…Fisto.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

VaultAggie posted:

For a while you couldn't get their best ending for the NCR because the dialog option for it wasn't available due to a bug. They fixed that in a patch, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were other bugs still out there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Why doesn't the ending ever go into detail about the one true god of the mojave? The behind-the-scenes ruler of all, whos voice carries only to the one true prophet?

I speak, of course, of Antler.

I want to know what happened to Antler the divine and his disciples.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

khy posted:

Why doesn't the ending ever go into detail about the one true god of the mojave? The behind-the-scenes ruler of all, whos voice carries only to the one true prophet?

I speak, of course, of Antler.

I want to know what happened to Antler the divine and his disciples.

Can you even pick up Antler? I don't think you can collect the skull either way but simply interacting with it.

Sounds like something that needs to be modded in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Slim then takes out a gatling laser and mows down all the Legion, right? Right??? :ohdear: