Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

soy posted:

I'm pretty flexible, I just want a good bike for a good deal.

KLRs are cheap and plentiful, and most often come pre-farkled so it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

They can be pretty tough to handle off road. You can take them almost anywhere, but a lot of places where you'd be having fun in a smaller bike, are just a PIA

DR650, DRz400s, or XRs would be more like a big dirtbike in comparison, but suckier on pavement, though XRRs make fun sumos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

I'm pretty flexible, I just want a good bike for a good deal.

Alright. Deals are out there, it's just a matter of finding them...now is kind of the worst time to be buying because there's just not a lot of stuff for sale. I'd honestly be patient and wait on that DRZ guy, even if he's a little unreliable.

MrZig posted:

Howabout a 1989 Suzuki GSXR 750?

http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/613918/cat/152

I've always had a thing for old GSXR's with the dual headlights. I phoned the guy and here's what he says:

He's had it for 2? 3? years (heavy accent) and every year he's taken it to the Suzuki dealership to get serviced.

It leaks no oil, the engine is really strong and runs great.

He bought new tires when he got it and they have low wear.

Chain/sprockets are brand new.

The reason the windshield and headlight are damaged is, in his account, he slammed the front brake on when a truck stopped infront of him and it flipped over. A few scratches on the paint as well.

Here's the deal, he's moving the day after tomorrow and kept saying "I'll give you a good deal on it". It's already listed at $1200, but I bet I can get it for 700 or something.

What do you all think?

If you can accept that it's an old bike and will perform as such, and like it, 700$ would be a good price for it, if it's still in good shape.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

If you can accept that it's an old bike and will perform as such, and like it, 700$ would be a good price for it, if it's still in good shape.

I ride a 1980 Suzuki GS400 that I work on more than I ride.. I think it would be a big step up in happy-factor.

Is there anything I should look out for specifically, or are they as reliable/saught after as the earlier GS's?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Alright. Deals are out there, it's just a matter of finding them...now is kind of the worst time to be buying because there's just not a lot of stuff for sale. I'd honestly be patient and wait on that DRZ guy, even if he's a little unreliable.

I haven't heard anything from him since last week, the bastard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

I ride a 1980 Suzuki GS400 that I work on more than I ride.. I think it would be a big step up in happy-factor.

Is there anything I should look out for specifically, or are they as reliable/saught after as the earlier GS's?

I'm pretty sure those old bikes are pretty indestructable, but I'd take it for a careful test ride and then go for it. Those old slab sides are pretty awesome.

I'd check the usual, but gently caress it, 700$ bike...expect to put a little money to the side for repairs, it is a 20 year old bike after all. And if the engine blows just swap an 1100 in ;)

soy posted:

I haven't heard anything from him since last week, the bastard.

:ohdear: Hopefully he'll contact you, that was a good deal.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a full day lined up tomorrow for looking at bikes. The contenders...

2004 Kawasaki KLR 650 - $2800
2000 ZRX1100 - $3100
2005 ZZR1200 - $4500 (slight cowling(?) damage)

Long story short, for the distant future the motorcycle will be my sole transportation. I can afford the ZRX and KLR no problem, the ZZR would be tight. I'm a tad worried about the ZRX1100 because its going on 10 years old and I don't know how to turn a wrench. I figure its about time that issues might start popping up.

The KLR would be the most bulletproof but also the most bland. I think I'd enjoy the ZZR the most but I would be stretching myself financially. I'm going to sleep on it.

The dark horse is going and buying a new DL650 and putting about half down and taking monthly payments

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I have a full day lined up tomorrow for looking at bikes. The contenders...

2004 Kawasaki KLR 650 - $2800
2000 ZRX1100 - $3100
2005 ZZR1200 - $4500 (slight cowling(?) damage)

Long story short, for the distant future the motorcycle will be my sole transportation. I can afford the ZRX and KLR no problem, the ZZR would be tight. I'm a tad worried about the ZRX1100 because its going on 10 years old and I don't know how to turn a wrench. I figure its about time that issues might start popping up.

The KLR would be the most bulletproof but also the most bland. I think I'd enjoy the ZZR the most but I would be stretching myself financially. I'm going to sleep on it.

The dark horse is going and buying a new DL650 and putting about half down and taking monthly payments

I don't think you're going to see any more or less reliability out of the ZRX than you will the 650. They're both fairly well known for being pretty reliable...I had a friend who hit 60k on his without any problems, and KLRs are known for their reliability.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Hughmoris posted:

Long story short, for the distant future the motorcycle will be my sole transportation.

Have you done this before? Just be aware fully what that means. Getting soaked/cold/sweaty, and having little control over it. If you're really ok with it, it's great.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Z3n posted:

I don't think you're going to see any more or less reliability out of the ZRX than you will the 650. They're both fairly well known for being pretty reliable...I had a friend who hit 60k on his without any problems, and KLRs are known for theirs reliability.

Any thoughts on the ZRX1100? Has about 16k miles, guy is the third owner. Doesn't sound like he has done much maintenance other than put new tires on. What type of services would be coming up? Any common problems you know of?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Any thoughts on the ZRX1100? Has about 16k miles, guy is the third owner. Doesn't sound like he has done much maintenance other than put new tires on. What type of services would be coming up? Any common problems you know of?

I don't know what the valve adjustment intervals on those, but that's the biggest major maintenance you're looking at. At that point it could be due for chain and sprockets too. I've got 27k on my ZZR1200 without any issues, my friend had 60k on his ZRX (in case that wasn't clear) and we all know that KLRs are tanks as long as you take care of the dohickey.

No common problems that I'm aware of, but you could check with zrx owner forums to make sure.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the reply.

I just added to my list a 2005 Honda CB900 with 3,500 miles for $4,000.
Here is a short description from the ad:

This bike is basically brand new. I am the second owner. The first owner only put 1100 miles on it.
aftermarket slip on exhaust - carbon fiber Two brothers. professionally installed
only fully synthetic racing oil used, changed every 3 months regardless of miles on bike.
fender eliminator kit.
low profile front turn signals
bar end mirrors, I have original mirrors as well.
tires are good, they are at about 70%
never any mechanical problems.
always garaged/ cover kept.
front wheel has never left the ground.

KBB for the bike is $4,700. The guy said he is holding firm on $4,000 because he has dropped the price several times. Any opinions on this bike?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1550269126.html

Hm, sounds ok. Salvage, but nothing major. "Bent at the frame" sounds bad, but I think this one might be fine.

And it's black, my favorite color. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I just added to my list a 2005 Honda CB900 with 3,500 miles for $4,000.
Here is a short description from the ad:

This bike is basically brand new. I am the second owner. The first owner only put 1100 miles on it.
aftermarket slip on exhaust - carbon fiber Two brothers. professionally installed
only fully synthetic racing oil used, changed every 3 months regardless of miles on bike.
fender eliminator kit.
low profile front turn signals
bar end mirrors, I have original mirrors as well.
tires are good, they are at about 70%
never any mechanical problems.
always garaged/ cover kept.
front wheel has never left the ground.

KBB for the bike is $4,700. The guy said he is holding firm on $4,000 because he has dropped the price several times. Any opinions on this bike?

Those are good bikes too...although you've got 4 different bikes out of 4 different catagories here. Do you really have a handle on what exactly you want just yet? You've got one sport touring bike, 2 standards, and a dual sport.

soy posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1550269126.html

Hm, sounds ok. Salvage, but nothing major. "Bent at the frame" sounds bad, but I think this one might be fine.

And it's black, my favorite color. :v:

I'd definitely go look at that and see what the damage was. If it's minor (just a scrape on the frame from the peg bending up against it), it's a pretty good deal on a new 250. I'd still try and talk him down anyways, though. :)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I asked the dude if I could see it this weekend.

Hopefully I can wrestle my money back from my wife, I'm pretty sure she's off buying random household bullshit with it right now.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
yeah who the gently caress needs a vacuum or a fridge, more motorcycles damnit

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Armacham posted:

I like how you think

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Armacham posted:

This man has his priorities in order

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do we know about 93 VFRs? Honda fixed the cam blowing up problem by then, right? How are they for distance rides?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/1550215785.html

EDIT: And also important: how will a 6'1" guy fit it?

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 14, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Z3n posted:

Those are good bikes too...although you've got 4 different bikes out of 4 different catagories here. Do you really have a handle on what exactly you want just yet? You've got one sport touring bike, 2 standards, and a dual sport.

Yeah, I realize I'm all over the place but I'm on a tight timeline and I need to make a purchase soon. I've been scouring craigslist to find the best deals under $4k ideally. This is going to be mainly my commuter, everything other than that is a big plus. I test rode the ZRX1100 today. It was fun but its going on almost 10 years old and I don't have the wrenching experience to have confidence in its age.

I took the KLR for a spin and its exactly how I remembered it. Slow and steady. The old man won't budge on the price so I'm looking at $2900 for that.

On the plus side, I discovered a 06 FZ6 and 07 ZZR6. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check those out in the next few days.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Tsaven Nava posted:

This man has his priorities in order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmun8GK6o2c

Motorcycles are the better buy.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

What do we know about 93 VFRs? Honda fixed the cam blowing up problem by then, right? How are they for distance rides?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/1550215785.html

EDIT: And also important: how will a 6'1" guy fit it?

Anything after 86 (IIRC) should have no problems with the cams.

I dunno about the size but I imagine you'll fit fine on a VFR. I'm 5'11' and any VFR I've sat on has been pretty comfy. The riding position is more sport tour that sport and a set of helibars/bar backs etc will make it even friendlier. And that price is drat good for the bike you get. The VFR was the bike Honda often used to introduce new technologies to the public so a lot of good stuff made it into the series.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/1551784293.html

hahahaha.. I was randomly clicking on ads and was like, hey that looks like an ok deaaoishgh why did they do that to a yzf?!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1550249404.html

jesus loving christ whyyyyyyy

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1550282817.html

ooh, kind of a good deal. (I think)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/1549601891.html

I want this. :ninja: I don't want to buy some poo poo from a dealer though.

soy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 14, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

I'm pretty sure those old bikes are pretty indestructable, but I'd take it for a careful test ride and then go for it. Those old slab sides are pretty awesome.

I'd check the usual, but gently caress it, 700$ bike...expect to put a little money to the side for repairs, it is a 20 year old bike after all. And if the engine blows just swap an 1100 in ;)

I bought the GSXR. $700 in moon money! At first he said he'd give it to me for 1000, I said 800 and he basically told me no, and that someone else was coming to look at it anyway. I said ok and left.

I get a call an hour later, "Howabout $850?". 'I'll call you back'. 2 hours later I call him, 'Look all I can afford is $700.', ".....Yeah lets loving do it".

So $700 later, I have myself a 1989 GSXR 750!

It was in good overall condition - the chain looked new and was sticky to the touch, the rear tire looked good, the front had some wear so I might look into replacing it, we'll see. No rust that I could see. The front fairing is cracked in a few places, he said the front forks were rebuilt recently, but has no papers for anything. Fuckit, $700 bike. Odometer says 34,000 KMs.

I'm pretty stoked. Gotta spend a few bucks to fix some things like the headlight and windscreen, and I might look into patching the cracks in the fairings, but nothing really stands out as terrible. The only thing that irked me was the battery was dead, but it took a jump from his car (engine off) and ran fine on it's own. Once turned off, it didn't have any juice so I think the battery might be toast. Will look into it for sure.

The other thing I noticed was that when cold, it took quite a few cranks to get it to fire, so it might need some carb cleaning. However it's still pretty awesome and in much better overall condition than my GS400 when I bought it.

I'll post pics on the weekend as I still have to get it home.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

soy posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1550249404.html

jesus loving christ whyyyyyyy

Quotin' in case this gets taken down:

quote:

ALOUGHT THERE ARE NO BACK BREAKS DUE TO SWINGARM BEING SO LONG HAVN'T GOTTEN TO THAT YET SO WE ADJUSTED THE FRONT BRAKES TO WORK AMAZING AND NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH DOWNSHIFTING AND USEING THE FRONT BRAKE. THERE IS ALOT OF DETAILING IN THIS BIKE !!!

No real need to include pics, just imagine every ugly stretched 'busa ever.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

No real need to include pics, just imagine every ugly stretched 'busa ever.

I can just imagine some turd-bucket getting on a bike with only front brakes and bein all, "it's cool dawg the front brakez are amazin!"

Of bikes that I would not want to ride with hosed up brakes, I think 'busa would be at the very top of that list.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

I bought the GSXR. $700 in moon money! At first he said he'd give it to me for 1000, I said 800 and he basically told me no, and that someone else was coming to look at it anyway. I said ok and left.

I get a call an hour later, "Howabout $850?". 'I'll call you back'. 2 hours later I call him, 'Look all I can afford is $700.', ".....Yeah lets loving do it".

So $700 later, I have myself a 1989 GSXR 750!

It was in good overall condition - the chain looked new and was sticky to the touch, the rear tire looked good, the front had some wear so I might look into replacing it, we'll see. No rust that I could see. The front fairing is cracked in a few places, he said the front forks were rebuilt recently, but has no papers for anything. Fuckit, $700 bike. Odometer says 34,000 KMs.

I'm pretty stoked. Gotta spend a few bucks to fix some things like the headlight and windscreen, and I might look into patching the cracks in the fairings, but nothing really stands out as terrible. The only thing that irked me was the battery was dead, but it took a jump from his car (engine off) and ran fine on it's own. Once turned off, it didn't have any juice so I think the battery might be toast. Will look into it for sure.

The other thing I noticed was that when cold, it took quite a few cranks to get it to fire, so it might need some carb cleaning. However it's still pretty awesome and in much better overall condition than my GS400 when I bought it.

I'll post pics on the weekend as I still have to get it home.

Awesome! Just remember to be careful with it. Check the charging system, too...dead battery could just be from sitting or it could be a blown stator or R/R. Either way, for under a grand you should have a working bike.

Also, it makes "only" 90hp, but it's still going to be quick. Take it slow as you adjust to the power :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

I can just imagine some turd-bucket getting on a bike with only front brakes and bein all, "it's cool dawg the front brakez are amazin!"

Of bikes that I would not want to ride with hosed up brakes, I think 'busa would be at the very top of that list.

At least its not some weird chopper with only a rear brake

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Awesome! Just remember to be careful with it. Check the charging system, too...dead battery could just be from sitting or it could be a blown stator or R/R. Either way, for under a grand you should have a working bike.

Also, it makes "only" 90hp, but it's still going to be quick. Take it slow as you adjust to the power :)

Thanks! I'm going to do a charging check with my trusty multi meter. He said it sat since early summer, so a good 7 months. Could that kill a battery if it hadn't been charged? I'm only used to bigger car batteries.

Considering my bike makes 30-40 hp, and I find that decently quick at least up until highway speeds, I think I'm going to take it slow and easy. Hell, just revving it in neutral raised the hair on the back of my neck. You can tell it has POWAAAH.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

Thanks! I'm going to do a charging check with my trusty multi meter. He said it sat since early summer, so a good 7 months. Could that kill a battery if it hadn't been charged? I'm only used to bigger car batteries.

Considering my bike makes 30-40 hp, and I find that decently quick at least up until highway speeds, I think I'm going to take it slow and easy. Hell, just revving it in neutral raised the hair on the back of my neck. You can tell it has POWAAAH.

Absolutely, only a month or 2 of sitting can kill a battery if it's in lovely conditions. Have fun, enjoy it, and post pictures!

Oh, and change the oil. Sitting for 7 months isn't great for oil, and it's an air/oil cooled bike, so it's gonna be hard on oil anyways.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Unless something crazy happens, looks like I'll be the owner of a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 with 14,000 miles on it on Sunday. The guy I'm purchasing it from seems like a genuine bike enthusiast so I hope that translates into him taking care of his stuff. Anyone else have one of these? I'm actually excited to try out a high-revving(?) bike, I think it redlines at 14.5k. From what I've read, its extremely docile under 8K but once you get above it then it screams.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Hughmoris posted:

Unless something crazy happens, looks like I'll be the owner of a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 with 14,000 miles on it on Sunday. The guy I'm purchasing it from seems like a genuine bike enthusiast so I hope that translates into him taking care of his stuff. Anyone else have one of these? I'm actually excited to try out a high-revving(?) bike, I think it redlines at 14.5k. From what I've read, its extremely docile under 8K but once you get above it then it screams.

I think that's a trait of most 600cc SS bikes, being really mild below 8-9k and then exploding after that.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
How much are you getting it for?

i'm considering one for a second bike, theres lots of used ones with low miles for less than 4k. The 2006 bikes are updated a bit from pervious years, prices are pretty competitive vs an SV650 or ninja 650R but I think the FZ6 is a bit more tourish.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

I think that's a trait of most 600cc SS bikes, being really mild below 8-9k and then exploding after that.

FZ6's not a supersport. It does use the R6 engine, but it's been a bit detuned. It's still gonna power on the top end though, that's just how I4 600s are. The 636 is actually surprisingly good through the midrange, and poo poo REALLY happens at the top, very fun bike.

The FZ6 is a bit more touring oriented, but a good all arounder. All the people who I know who have them have loved them, they're just really well rounded bikes.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

FZ6's not a supersport. It does use the R6 engine, but it's been a bit detuned. It's still gonna power on the top end though, that's just how I4 600s are. The 636 is actually surprisingly good through the midrange, and poo poo REALLY happens at the top, very fun bike.

The FZ6 is a bit more touring oriented, but a good all arounder. All the people who I know who have them have loved them, they're just really well rounded bikes.

Oh, okay. I can't hardly keep the model designations straight for the bikes I do like in my head, let alone sport bikes :) I think my cousin mentioned having an FZ6 though, but he's kind of a "Sup brah!" frat boy so I just assumed he was a squid and it was some high-strung race bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Oh, okay. I can't hardly keep the model designations straight for the bikes I do like in my head, let alone sport bikes :) I think my cousin mentioned having an FZ6 though, but he's kind of a "Sup brah!" frat boy so I just assumed he was a squid and it was some high-strung race bike.

Nah, it's a middleweight touring type bike. You should give it a shot if you can, you may find it entertaining.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Nah, it's a middleweight touring type bike. You should give it a shot if you can, you may find it entertaining.

Well he lives in Arizona and I'm up in Chicago, and I don't think I'd be comfortable with him riding any of my bikes. Besides, I've bought my bike for the year, I have to try and make it at least 12 months without getting another one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

infraboy posted:

How much are you getting it for?

i'm considering one for a second bike, theres lots of used ones with low miles for less than 4k. The 2006 bikes are updated a bit from pervious years, prices are pretty competitive vs an SV650 or ninja 650R but I think the FZ6 is a bit more tourish.

I'm getting it for $3600 and the guy is delivering it about 160 miles roundtrip. KBB is $4100. It includes a stebel nautilus air horn, wired for escort radar detector, fender eliminator, frame sliders, BMW accessory power plug, dual headlight mod. All accessories are wired to an auxillary switched and relayed fuse panel.

My main goal was to get something I could commute on, take on longer trips, and have a little oomph when I wanted it. I think I did ok.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hughmoris posted:

stebel nautilus air horn

I was thinking about putting one on my Panda and asked for a demonstration at the shop. It is LOUD and you're gonna love it :)

Loud horns save lives etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Z3n posted:

FZ6 is pretty cool. With the upright seating position, it turns in a wheelie machine if you gear it down a little, just like the FZ1.

God I miss having 998cc of Yamaha power between my legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the 08' 250! Also, I got my first wave on the ride home (from carson, through south central, to korea town).

Frankly it seems like the perfect city bike, the thing doesn't seem to mind sitting in traffic at all and it's plenty fast for what I'm doin. Seems to fit me pretty well too even at 6'5...