Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alchenar posted:

Worst-case? They demand a de-militarised zone in Syria along the Turkish border.

They can demand it, but nobody will help them create it. I doubt they will invade on their own over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

John Dough posted:

They can demand it, but nobody will help them create it. I doubt they will invade on their own over this.

No reason they can't do it themselves. Especially if they limit themselves to creating a buffer border zone and a bit of Kurd-hunting.

Assad's response would basically depend upon how much stress the Syrian army is under.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 3, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Alchenar posted:

No reason they can't do it themselves. Especially if they limit themselves to creating a buffer border zone and a bit of Kurd-hunting.

Assad's response would basically depend upon how much stress the Syrian army is under.

Isn't the Turkey/Syria border also part of the region where Assad only has tenuous control?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Let's not forget NATO, the Russian Missile test, and Russia's warnings for them to stay out of Syria.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Munin posted:

Isn't the Turkey/Syria border also part of the region where Assad only has tenuous control?

A good part of the border on the west side is effectively under opposition control, to the east it's Kurdish areas, so a lack of border security there is more a problem for Turkey than it is Syria.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

quote:

Turkey says it has struck targets in Syria in response to mortar strike across border, prime minister's office statement says - @Reuters

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Turkey is also convening a urgent meeting of NATO members.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Also from Reuters, NATO is convening an urgent meeting, presumably soon

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It sounds like the Turks just retaliated with counter-battery fire, so for now, the response seems very limited. As far as I know, that's SOP for responding to artillery fire.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

If this blows out into a full mutual defense NATO thing then this could have all kinds of fallout. It would also most likely make a blip on the US Presidential race.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From a Turkish journalist

quote:

Sources on the ground say Turkey is now deploying huge number of tanks, artillery and missile batteries to the Syria border.

And via @THE_47th

quote:

. @JKhashoggi is saying that the Turkish Gov will seek approval from the Parliament tomorrow to execute "military operations" inside Syria.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
NATO is meeting within the hour in Brussels as per Al Jazeera

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let's hope the troops massive business is just rumour mongering. Or things are going to get a lot more messy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Reuters live updates

quote:

NATO ambassadors to meet under NATO Article 4, for consultations when a member state feels territorial integrity under threat - NATO official
Turkey says it has agreed with NATO Secretary General to convene an urgent meeting of NATO members. NATO ambassadors will meet later on Wednesday after a mortar bomb was fired from Syria into Turkey, according to a NATO official.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:stare:

Well this is a great time to be writing a policy report about Syria. It could be obsolete within a couple of days.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
Turkey has a good enough military they could do it on their own, I doubt they need or even want help. They probably just want official approval to get things in a row.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
IMO this has a high likelihood of snowballing into at least a limited border conflict, with Turkey creating buffer zones around her border towns. It has been really tense for months, but unlike in the jet incident, this is very clearly a Syrian offense. A mother and her three children are among the casualties, that's not going to go too well with the public either. I can't wait to hear the government excuse. Of course there will be false flag speculation too.

I dunno if Turkey goes on full offense yet, though. I think it depends on if they think they can finish the job quickly and with no risk of Assad's vengeance attacks, including chemical weapons. If there is an invasion to topple Assad I just hope that the people doing it have studied the aftermath of OIF...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm reminded of this at the moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Um are we having a war? Can we have a war that quick after they've got the American guy?

edit: i forgot about Dônnnald Bethl'hem i love you chris morris

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 3, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

The Asian Oprah posted:

Um are we having a war? Can we have a war that quick after they've got the American guy?

This is how regional conflicts tend to start, yeah. I doubt it'll get worse though, Turkey has no spine and the UN has no will to do anything about it.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This is how regional conflicts tend to start, yeah. I doubt it'll get worse though, Turkey has no spine and the UN has no will to do anything about it.

Turkey does have a spine and they have a very good military. They certainly don't need any help.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yb3fOs3NlM

This is going be extremely interesting, and I hope to god it doesn't escalate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SilentD posted:

Turkey does have a spine and they have a very good military. They certainly don't need any help.

It's not quite so simple. Damascus is a long distance away from Turkey making it logistically difficult and expensive to reach (minimum objective to topple Assad) and Turkish military has no experience of fighting against a regular army.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You'll lose more than your money betting against the Turks when blood's been spilled and they feel like honor's on the line.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I imagine we'll back Turkey to the hilt unless they go in a completely egregious direction with their response. Obama's not going to try to weasel out of NATO treaty obligations.

The Turkish military has over 600,000 people in the active armed forces and a military budget of almost $19 billion. I doubt they'll try to wipe Syria off the map but they don't need us to shoot poo poo for them.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Oh Man! You're not gonna take THAT are you Turkey?!"

"Wh-what? No... No! I certainly will not! I... I'll go to war! You guys got my back right?! Let's do this!"

"Oh... uh, sure we do. You go on ahead, we'll be right behind you!"

"GUYS? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS SHOOTING BUT IF YOU ARE COMING WITH REINFORCEMENTS THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO SHOW UP"

"Well hang on a moment here, let's not be rash- we gotta pick something to wear first! Can't have a proper party dressed in these rags. How's that F-35 coming along uncle Sam? Sam? Hello?"

"Yeah yeah wait just a minute and I'll be- Breaking news! Mitt Romney has swallowed his own tongue!- Oh sorry guys were you saying something?"

"Oh bugger"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's pretty much no question that the Turkish military would have no problem steamrolling what remains of the Syrian military. But let's hope that it doesn't come to that.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Wouldn't Turkey running over the Syrian army hasten the defeat of Assad?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mcvey posted:

Wouldn't Turkey running over the Syrian army hasten the defeat of Assad?

A long, bloody occupation isn't in anyone's interest.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

But this isn't a situation that would really call for a long, bloody occupation. Last I knew, Manaf Tlass was getting primed up to take the job, and I guess the FSA supported that. Once Assad is dead and the regime loses control, it could be unstable for a while, but I don't know if it would be full-scale sectarian warfare.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zeroisanumber posted:

I really doubt they'd even attempt it.

That doesn't rule out all forms of military action, though. Hell, the first time we invaded Iraq we didn't occupy the place at all, and that was still an immense military operation.

EDIT: Put another way, invasions don't end in quagmires unless you're a dumbshit about it generally.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The NATO meeting has started.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone give me a quick explanation as to why Syria would attack Turkey? Especially when it's currently busy with the FSA and the like.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Zeroisanumber posted:

I doubt this would happen. I'm not up to date on this thread but weren't people hoping for another country to intervene in Syria?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Ape of Naples posted:

Can anyone give me a quick explanation as to why Syria would attack Turkey? Especially when it's currently busy with the FSA and the like.

No clear reason has been given yet, but they could have been trying to hit opposition members who were moving back and forth across the border, but it's a pretty huge gently caress up hitting civilian homes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I imagine the most likely reason is that the chain of command has become increasingly frazzled and some dumbshits at the border got carried away.

The other option is that it was deliberately executed in order to force Turkey's hand and escalate the conflict. Perhaps Assad wants to bring Russia in.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Are there any groupings in Syria that would welcome a Turkish invasion? From what I can discern (mostly from this thread) the majority of the FSA forces seem unnatural bedfellows for the Turks.

I don't think the FSA are organised enough to realpolitik this.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Nenonen posted:

It's not quite so simple. Damascus is a long distance away from Turkey making it logistically difficult and expensive to reach (minimum objective to topple Assad) and Turkish military has no experience of fighting against a regular army.

Uh no, Turkey would have no problems curb stomping the Syrian military in the situation it's in now. Even if Syria wasn't in chaos Turkey has one of the largest, most modern, best equipped military's in the region. They also can get a bit honor crazy.

You don't want to mess with the Turks, they are one of the few military powers in that region that wouldn't be all that afraid of Israel if it came to an actual conflict.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

OK, so I haven't been following the Syria situation very closely, the OP has some general backround. But nothing about what seems to be coming to a head now.

Is there a good source or timeline of events? Seems like its about to hit the fan and I'd like to get up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

OK, so I haven't been following the Syria situation very closely, the OP has some general backround. But nothing about what seems to be coming to a head now.

Is there a good source or timeline of events? Seems like its about to hit the fan and I'd like to get up to speed.

Nothing I can think of, sure there will be one soon though. One complicating factor is the Kurdish situation, which is a sort of seperate issue from the Turkey-Syrian government situation.

[edit] Sorry, misread that, thought you said you HAD been following it. I'll dig around, see what I come up with. Problem is, Syria is complicated as gently caress, especially compared to Libya.

[edit 2] The BBC Timeline is worth checking out (obviously the end bit), and Wikipedia has much more detailed timelines.

But as I said, Syria is very complex, even describing the make up of the opposition in any detail is a fairly mammoth task. The ISW has put out a number of very detailed reports on Syria if you have a lot of spare time.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 3, 2012

• Locked thread