Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Cid Kramer is the worst Cid in the series.

ImpAtom posted:

Not as long as FFXIII Cid exists he isn't.

Endorph posted:

The FF5 Cid is pretty lame, too.

The Something Awful Forums>Discussion>Games>Final Fantasy Megathread: Every Sid is the worst Sid in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nonsense! I have never heard one bad thing about FFIX Cid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Civ IX probably had, like, superbug syphilis.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
He also hosed around on his wife a lot. Say what you will about Cid Kramer, if nothing else the man was a good husband... Who dedicated his life to training an army of teenagers to murder his wife, but only because he loved her so much. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you think about it, almost all the Cids in the series are assholes in one way or another. I think the only ones who don't do anything dickish are the Cids from 3 and 4.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

If you think about it, almost all the Cids in the series are assholes in one way or another. I think the only ones who don't do anything dickish are the Cids from 3 and 4.

II Cid pretty much just bites it shortly after you rescue him, and in the process gives you an airship. So he's alright.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
IV Cid is kind of a dick in a Werner Von Braun "I only make the machines of death!" way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, we all know the best Cid.

It's the one that is a Thunder God.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X Cid never did anything dickish as far as I can recall. He just wanted to keep his niece alive.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

X Cid never did anything dickish as far as I can recall. He just wanted to keep his niece alive.

Yeah but then in X-2 he turns Zanarkand Ruins into a tourist attraction

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

By kidnapping her. There's also the whole 'turn old religious city into a tourist trap' thing in X-2.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

Guy named his son, Brother. 'Nuff said. And then turning Zanarkand into a tourist attratction. And being generally abrasive. Cids are dicks.

[e]: Beaten.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah but then in X-2 he turns Zanarkand Ruins into a tourist attraction

Yeah that rocked though?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

II Cid pretty much just bites it shortly after you rescue him, and in the process gives you an airship. So he's alright.

He was kind of a mercenary who didn't really care about either side until the plot told him to care.

I guess Cid Orlandu was a pretty stand-up guy who didn't do anything dickish either, besides make Meliadoul obsolete before you even got her.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So I'm playing through FFXII for the first time in a number of years, and holy poo poo whoever said that Larsa should have replaced Vaan as a permanent party member was spot on. Kid rocks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larsa is great. Not only does he fulfill the "young prettyboy" niche that Vaan was intended to fill, he also could have a great dynamic with Ashe. She used to be a sweet, innocent thing herself but the times forced her to become a rugged rebel and made her hellbent on revenge. Larsa though is still young and innocent like she once was and since he's on the victors' side he has remained more or less ignorant of the horrors of war. Over the course of the game he steadily becomes more world-weary like Ashe, understanding what his Empire is really like. Ashe also understandably hates the Imperials so she and Larsa could have a great antagonistic relationship at first with Larsa protesting he didn't know what his country has really done and Ashe basically just hating him because he's a filthy Imperial. Then over the course of the game she realizes not all Imps are bad people and he, as I said before, comes to accept what his own nation has done and vows to change it once he's in command.

gently caress Vaan. You really don't need him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 17, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah that rocked though?

It was a bad tourist attraction with only one stupid not-puzzle involved. And then it got infested with monkeys that you had to pair up so they would procreate like rabbits.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I was just joking that the only bad Cid is this Sid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

It was a bad tourist attraction with only one stupid not-puzzle involved. And then it got infested with monkeys that you had to pair up so they would procreate like rabbits.
Monkey Love shall bloom. Always.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Cid XII was certainly a dick, but he was great anyway. And Al-Cid was so ridiculous that I can't dislike him.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sorry, you can all argue about the worst Cid, but I am an optimist, and so will go with the best Cid. The best Cid is THUNDER GOD CID, A MAN SO BADASS THAT HE GOT THE NAME THUNDER GOD CID.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The best paradigm is where you take FFXIII out of the console and throw the disk in the garbage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well, we all know the best Cid.

It's the one that is a Thunder God.

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry, you can all argue about the worst Cid, but I am an optimist, and so will go with the best Cid. The best Cid is THUNDER GOD CID, A MAN SO BADASS THAT HE GOT THE NAME THUNDER GOD CID.

You know, you guys are alright.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Cid XII was certainly a dick, but he was great anyway. And Al-Cid was so ridiculous that I can't dislike him.

Could someone gimme the cliffnotes version of Al-Cid? I honestly don't really remember him aside from you go to his city at some point in the game, there's a scene where he grins slyly in a profile shot, and then ???.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

Could someone gimme the cliffnotes version of Al-Cid? I honestly don't really remember him aside from you go to his city at some point in the game, there's a scene where he grins slyly in a profile shot, and then ???.

Actually, you never go to his city; you just meet up with him a few times. Plotwise, he works behind the scenes to stop the other Big Empire, Rozaria, from rushing into war with Archadia. As a character, though, he's a ridiculous dandy Casanova-wannabe. He has women who follow him around whose job appears to be to hold his sunglasses or hand him notes. He flirts shamelessly with Ashe while even kids like Larsa roll their eyes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He's the only man in the entire country/world/continent of Ivalice that owns and wears a pair of shades.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

He's the only man in the entire country/world/continent of Ivalice that owns and wears a pair of shades.

He has a pretty lady assistant who follows him around who's job is to hold them when he's not wearing them.

He's basically the best.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Stupid sexy Al-Cid Margrace!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If I recall correctly in Tactics Advance 2 he tore poo poo up too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

But where does Sed from Lost Odyssey fit into all this?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Gologle posted:

I'd bet that in-universe he's the one who invented them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My only gripe with Al-Cid is when he offhandedly remarks that Larsa's father was murdered.

Larsa: Surely my father could stop this war!
Al-Cid to a twelve-year-old boy: YOUR DAD'S DEAD! DEAD!!!!

Okay maybe I'm exaggerating but it really does equal the same thing, no matter how kindly you put it. Just saying in a casual way "his life was taken" is not any better when you're informing a little kid their dad was murdered.

And then when you have control of the party again you can talk to him and get a textbox of him saying "oh...I kinda done hosed up there."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

But where does Sed from Lost Odyssey fit into all this?
His Cid Flaw is that he's runner-up to Norman Bates for the mama's boy of the year prize.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Thunder God Cid is definitely the best good Cid.

Type-0 Cid is the best evil Cid though. He's a Prussian-wannabe with an ornamental sword who gives captivating speeches while invading other nations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You know, you guys are alright.

You win for post/name combo of the day

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

VII Cid is the chump beyond all chumps.

God what a chump.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

He nuked his people's home because...?

???

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

???

To kill most/part of the invading forces that had then occupied it? Like it's a pretty simple plan. It's vindictive but it makes sense. "You know what, you fuckers wanna take our home? Fine you can have it."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 17, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scorched earth tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fister Roboto posted:

???

Did you just log in to the game like 10 months after playing that section, because it's pretty clear why he did that.