Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
E/N:

Supposed to go take wedding invitation photos today, instead arguing and now drinking with plans to make it heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stuff like that is why the girlfriend and I have decided that we probably aren't ever going to get married and if we do it'll just be on paper because planning a wedding sounds like a fate worse than death.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm fine with having a big wedding (because I'm a sappy romantic like that) but my social anxiety might shoot that horse in the face before it's even born!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Directly lifted from the first episode of CHEERS, what IS the sweatiest movie ever made? Suggestions they made were ROCKY 2, BODY HEAT, BEN HUR and ALIEN.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Black Mass was so-so, Johnny Depp was a goddamn sociopath in it. He did a good job. But holy moley, it's got the most instances of "People being shot in the face/through the back of their head" i've seen in a gangster flick in a long, long time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DrVenkman posted:

Directly lifted from the first episode of CHEERS, what IS the sweatiest movie ever made? Suggestions they made were ROCKY 2, BODY HEAT, BEN HUR and ALIEN.

Without having seen them, I'd say one of the latter Fast & Furious movies with the Rock. That mean sweats like it's going out of style.

Honorary mentions go to Commando, Predator and Predator 2.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gonz posted:

Black Mass was so-so, Johnny Depp was a goddamn sociopath in it. He did a good job. But holy moley, it's got the most instances of "People being shot in the face/through the back of their head" i've seen in a gangster flick in a long, long time.

Ever see Battles Without Honor or Humanity? They even punctuate each one with a distinctive horn sting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I am fairly certain we've somehow had this exact conversation like two or three times before.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
And the answer is Cool Hand Luke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

And the answer is Cool Hand Luke.

Or Do the Right Thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's roadhouse

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

DrVenkman posted:

Hunt for Red October gets pretty sweaty near the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Pain and Gain

Grendels Dad posted:

Without having seen them, I'd say one of the latter Fast & Furious movies with the Rock. That mean sweats like it's going out of style.

Honorary mentions go to Commando, Predator and Predator 2.

The first Fast & Furious is pretty sweaty too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

axleblaze posted:

I am fairly certain we've somehow had this exact conversation like two or three times before.

We had the same discussion in the last Gen Chat thread (starts about halfway through the page). Some good suggestions from there:

Aliens
Apocalypse Now
Barton Fink
Das Boot
Do the Right Thing
Dog Day Afternoon
Falling Down
High and Low
Raging Bull
Scarface
Stray Dog

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

axleblaze posted:

I'm guessing it happens every time someone decides to start watching Cheers on Netflix.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Whitey Bulger's love of cats and kindness towards children shown in Black Mass?

Is there like a scene where Johnny Depp plays with some kittens after brutally murdering some people?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
They had a checklist of Whitey Bulger Facts that they made sure their three narrators got in, yeah

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
Do we think Depp is going to get an Oscar nom for Most Actor?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This feels more like a Golden Globe thing

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Whitey Bulger's love of cats and kindness towards children shown in Black Mass?

Is there like a scene where Johnny Depp plays with some kittens after brutally murdering some people?

He is portrayed as loving his son and nothing else

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just hope the mediocrity of Black Mass the movie doesn't tarnish the reputation of Black Mass the book, which is very good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just hope the mediocrity of Black Mass the movie doesn't tarnish the reputation of Black Mass the book, which is very good.

The book's really good. This seems like a The Iceman situation. Nicholson's depiction of Fake Bulger in The Departed seems much more preferable.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

marblize posted:

Do we think Depp is going to get an Oscar nom for Most Actor?

Joel Edgerton is definitely More Acting than Depp in it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The book's really good. This seems like a The Iceman situation. Nicholson's depiction of Fake Bulger in The Departed seems much more preferable.

Definitely. The book also really made me appreciate Matt Damon's take on John Connolly.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing it happens every time someone decides to start watching Cheers on Netflix.

This is probably the fifth time I've seen CHEERS' pilot episode, and it's nigh on perfect for a first episode. It establishes so much straight out of the gate.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DrVenkman posted:

Wake in Fright.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

Yo dickeye you're west ham boys are killing manshitty the 300 million pound team.

I know ESPN already told me. Probably won't watch it till Monday night though

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Over The Top

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wake in Fright.

I think this turned out to be the winning entry.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
When do we get to refer to Elijah Wood as a "Horror Icon"?

Does he have to be in an actual horror masterpiece, or just keep putting in great performances in okay-to-good movies?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Does he have to be in an actual horror masterpiece, or just keep putting in great performances in okay-to-good movies?

i'd say Maniac qualifies as at least a mini-masterpiece

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I think he has to terrorize Jamie Lee Curtis first.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Skwirl posted:

I think he has to terrorize Jamie Lee Curtis first.
If that's the case then Lindsey Lohan is a horror icon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hostile V posted:

If that's the case then Lindsey Lohan is a horror icon.

Yeah, my theory still holds.

Edit: Did anyone actually see The Canyons, is it any good?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The best Whitey Bulger movie will forever be The Departed anyway

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'd say Maniac qualifies as at least a mini-masterpiece

Plus Grand Piano is goofy-fun as gently caress (especially when you remember it comes from the screenwriter of Whiplash.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

The best Whitey Bulger movie will forever be The Departed anyway

the Departed is so good

Hewlett posted:

Plus Grand Piano is goofy-fun as gently caress (especially when you remember it comes from the screenwriter of Whiplash.)

ha! i did not know that, that's funny.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Departed is so good

ha! i did not know that, that's funny.

I can't decide if I want Grand Piano to be more like Whiplash now, or Whiplash to be more like Grand Piano.

Scenario A: Cusack clapping into Elijah Wood's earpiece, screaming "NOT MY TEMPO"
Scenario B: JK Simmons holding a sniper rifle to Miles Teller's head as he frantically drums his knuckles red

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I can't decide if I want Grand Piano to be more like Whiplash now, or Whiplash to be more like Grand Piano.

Scenario A: Cusack clapping into Elijah Wood's earpiece, screaming "NOT MY TEMPO"
Scenario B: JK Simmons holding a sniper rifle to Miles Teller's head as he frantically drums his knuckles red

Scenario A, definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Departed is so good

was on HBO this month so i watched it like 4 times. I fuckin love that cast so much

• Locked thread