Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

First off...

Morpheus posted:

Fronts
Critical Miss example:

Critical Hit example:

Move the "critical" ahead of the "hit"/"miss". The "critical", given it's size and being a quarter-obscured by the text, doesn't read or is understandable as that word. Bringing "critcal" forward over the "hit"/"miss", which obscures them but is far less and still allows them to be read clearly.

For these, I would either go with a d20 silhouette, no gaps in from the faces, so the number is clearly readable; go with a similar but darker outline for the face edges, so it reads as a die, but doesn't interfere with the number; or try the black outline for face edges. I'd prefer the second option as it's a compromise in identifying the 20-sided die but doesn't distract from the number.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Young Freud posted:

First off...

Move the "critical" ahead of the "hit"/"miss". The "critical", given it's size and being a quarter-obscured by the text, doesn't read or is understandable as that word. Bringing "critcal" forward over the "hit"/"miss", which obscures them but is far less and still allows them to be read clearly.

For these, I would either go with a d20 silhouette, no gaps in from the faces, so the number is clearly readable; go with a similar but darker outline for the face edges, so it reads as a die, but doesn't interfere with the number; or try the black outline for face edges. I'd prefer the second option as it's a compromise in identifying the 20-sided die but doesn't distract from the number.

Thanks for the input! So for the backs, the second suggestion means making the greens and reds darker, so as to make the numbers more visible? it's just the word 'outlines' that's confusing me there. I'm also thinking of making the background a little darker on those, so that would also help with the overall color scheme...I think. Man, visual design is hard, I don't know how people do it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Thanks for the input! So for the backs, the second suggestion means making the greens and reds darker, so as to make the numbers more visible? it's just the word 'outlines' that's confusing me there. I'm also thinking of making the background a little darker on those, so that would also help with the overall color scheme...I think. Man, visual design is hard, I don't know how people do it.

I was commenting on the gaps or negative space that make up the edges of the D20 faces. Along with the bright tannish background, it blends too much with the white number, making it hard to read. What I was suggesting is either fill the die completely, fill that negative space with a slightly darker color or just use black to fill the gaps.

I'm away from my computer, so I can't draw my suggestions, but hopefully its a bit clearer now.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I'd play with the transparency of the dice so some of that background texture shows through.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
I'm an illustrator and I hate doing graphic design. I like crazy, maximal paintings like Ron English's. Logos are so minimal and pedantic. I like sports logos because there's more to look at.

I guess I'm too liberal and lateral with the way I brainstorm. It gets me nowhere:

It's a logo for college admissions counselors. Here's the best idea I have so far (just a rough doodle):

Any advice on how someone like me can make a better design?

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

eminkey2003 posted:

I'm an illustrator and I hate doing graphic design. I like crazy, maximal paintings like Ron English's. Logos are so minimal and pedantic. I like sports logos because there's more to look at.

I guess I'm too liberal and lateral with the way I brainstorm. It gets me nowhere:

It's a logo for college admissions counselors. Here's the best idea I have so far (just a rough doodle):

Any advice on how someone like me can make a better design?

I would start using your drawings instead of using the computer to make a 'logo' or digitized drawings. Probably only the typography should be computer-generated, but that's debatable depending on your hand. Start using the designs in the left-bottom corner of your first example I guess. Logos can be as crazy and maximal as you want, forcing yourself to create computer-assisted designs won't lead to any good results if it restricts your way of working. It's meant as a tool, not a straightjacket.

Start making some drawings, simplify them, play with contrasts, then digitize them afterwards and see where you end up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've been experimenting with a personal brand. I'm a photographer & graphic designer, so I thought I'd try abstracting my initials rather than coming up with something gimmicky to combine the two things I do.

Here's where I am at with it:

Any thoughts? I know the initials aren't readily apparent in it, it could be seen a few different ways. I've just been staring at this for so long I don't even know if I like it at all anymore.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
What are your initials? Nothing is particularly striking about the current idea, it's just not bold enough. Here's a handful I dug out of my branding inspiration folder & my old one underneath, they all use strong purposeful lines & shapes, nothing too abstract but interesting nonetheless

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Creepy Goat posted:

What are your initials? Nothing is particularly striking about the current idea, it's just not bold enough. Here's a handful I dug out of my branding inspiration folder & my old one underneath, they all use strong purposeful lines & shapes, nothing too abstract but interesting nonetheless

Thanks, I'll keep working on it. To be honest logo design isn't my thing at all... I'm a graphic designer but haven't really had any branding experience (As you can see)

It doesn't help that my initials are "KS", which makes for a pain-in-the-rear end lockup. In this case I just made an angular S to fit into the straight lines of the K, then ended up tilting it to make the point where they intersect hit the center of the circle.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

While this is a thing, I wouldn't mind reading peoples comments on my one of these:

eightfootrobot
Feb 7, 2006

For a personal brand, I believe it's more important to say something about yourself and who you are as a designer/photographer/whatever. Initials are safe. Don't be afraid to have some fun and inject your personality into it. Plus, if you have a strong portfolio, you can afford to have some fun with your logo because people will associate the two anyway.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Unless you're a typographer/calligrapher.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Bogan Krkic posted:

While this is a thing, I wouldn't mind reading peoples comments on my one of these:

I think the contrast is a bit too sharp in the stroke-to-crossbar of the letter, if you would smooth out the cut in a similar way to the other serif-stem connections it would still read as both a B and D. Still, the BD combo isn't an easy one to pull of elegantly so it's a good solution!

triplexpac posted:

Here's where I am at with it:

The circle and slant make it confusing to read (I thought it was a V and something else.) Good monograms are usually simple and don't have a lot of extras. The KS combo is tricky though, but you could also look into different script-styles of the letters (something like the script-lowercase-s) which would combine easier and are still readable.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
In light of the abstract design being a bit split, I thought I'd show some of my other roughs. They're a lot more straightforward:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Typography is a fickle mistress and kerning letters super close while still looking good tends to be quite tough. I feel like the only things really working on that image are the second from right, middle column and the bottom right set in that nice condensed font. If you really want your letters touching I would recommend starting from scratch or heavily modifying some fonts, preferably with pencil and paper first as that will be a lot easier.

Here are some ideas I've had.

edit: basically what I'm trying to say is don't let the top halves of the k and s touch. It doesn't look good.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Imo none of the KS combinations are working very well. I fear you're trying to force it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

im bored so i did some more

hac
Oct 21, 2005
I like the bottom set Fayez did above. I agree a lot of your examples are working a little too hard. Those two work because they take common ground in both, the angle of the lower portion of the k and the lower end of the s, and they work with it rather than trying to fit them together. Logos are something so small and simple that they jump out immediately if they look forced.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I think I might take things in the direction that Fayez suggested... seems like a good way to dial back my original idea so it's not so forced. Thanks for the input!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I worked on my personal logo more, I liked Fayez's idea. I just reworked the K a bit so it's longer on the bottom, clicked the S in to fit inside.

It's funny, I've shown my sheet of logos to 10 different designer/arts friends, and each and every one picked something different.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

triplexpac posted:

So I worked on my personal logo more, I liked Fayez's idea. I just reworked the K a bit so it's longer on the bottom, clicked the S in to fit inside.

It's funny, I've shown my sheet of logos to 10 different designer/arts friends, and each and every one picked something different.

I'm no designer, but the first thing I thought when I saw this design and Fayez's post was Schutzstaffel.

Perhaps avoid runic-looking S's in white on a black background?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 19, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm no designer, but the first thing I thought when I saw this design and Fayez's post was Schutzstaffel.

Perhaps avoid runic-looking S's in white on a black background?

The right angles aren't helping either. I'm sure you're probably going off some punk aesthetic like the Dead Kennedys logo, but a lot of the time they were using Nazi-style imagery to either be shocking or play up some social satire.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Haha, to be fair the letter K is pretty much only made up of straight lines and sharp angles.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

im bored so i did some more

Sudden urge to eat a gyro, here.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

This is the closest thing we have to a general design discussion thread, so I thought I'd drop this question here:
Are there any good resources, guides, or communities on putting together a color palette?

I don't just mean definitions of triadic, complementary, analogous color schemes, tints, shades, etc, but rather a more in-depth exploration of color relationships and specific situation-based tips. For example, say the advantages of a low-contrast/muted color scheme in certain situations, or when to choose a scheme with warm/cool contrast versus a purely analogous one, or the psychology behind pairing a vibrant color and a low chroma color of its complementary hue.

I've been browsing through the Kuler user submissions, but there's no discussion on how these specific colors were chosen and paired up.

I'm interested in color schemes for both logo/web design and illustration, so anything would be appreciated.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I would start by looking up "color theory"

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

I would start by looking up "color theory"

What I'm looking for is advanced color theory essentially.

I know all about the contrasts of hue, temperature, value, and chroma, but I was looking for more insight into refining those ideas and applying them. Things like finding the right amount of contrast, pairing a dominant and recessive color, using an accent color to establish hierarchy, etc.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
It's certainly not exhaustive or even what'd I'd consider ground zero for what you're after, but -- if you have an iPad -- check out the Josef Albers Interaction of Color app. It's nice to have a hands-on tool for quick studies and manipulation, and the videos and articles are supposed to be great, though I don't know for sure how informative it'll be (I've only goofed with the free version on my gf's iPad).

Your next best bet is researching definitive, authoritative books and hitting up a library or used book store. Hop over to a local college and see if you can find some used color theory textbooks. You're bound to find a lot of info online, but in my experience it'll only get you so far.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

spider wisdom posted:

It's certainly not exhaustive or even what'd I'd consider ground zero for what you're after, but -- if you have an iPad -- check out the Josef Albers Interaction of Color app. It's nice to have a hands-on tool for quick studies and manipulation, and the videos and articles are supposed to be great, though I don't know for sure how informative it'll be (I've only goofed with the free version on my gf's iPad).

Your next best bet is researching definitive, authoritative books and hitting up a library or used book store. Hop over to a local college and see if you can find some used color theory textbooks. You're bound to find a lot of info online, but in my experience it'll only get you so far.

Thanks, that's what I figured

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
I

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Hey y'all, I wanna try this Dribbble business but I haven't been able to grab an invite/I don't know anyone on there who has one to give. If by chance someone here has one, I'd appreciate it -- here's a sample shot up on draft.im.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

edit: no, I just don't have any invitations. Sorry, I'm a monster.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 6, 2015

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I'm currently working on designing invites for my wedding and could use some feedback if anyone has any to give.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Raffles posted:

I'm currently working on designing invites for my wedding and could use some feedback if anyone has any to give.

Use more fonts. Maybe cross those arrows and have your initials in the space. Put a bird on it.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Raffles posted:

Congrats on your wedding! I still consider myself a novice designer, but here are a few things I should point out:

1. I'm pretty weak when it comes to using typefaces, but the general rule is to use the least amount of different typefaces as you can, typically not more than 2-3. Right now you have 3 different copy fonts (the main text fonts) and 3 different display fonts (the more decorative fonts in the title). There is no reason for "Visit https://www.weddingurl.com" and arguably "You are cordially invited" to be different fonts from the rest of the body copy. If you really want to emphasize something, use one font but make use of different weights/styles (Bold, Italic, etc).

I can't say about the display fonts, but I think it would definitely benefit from more consistency (using all hand-lettered fonts for example).

2. Really pay attention to the spacing between your lines of text and aim for consistency. Also, I don't see the need for a break between "Two Thousand and Fifteen" and "At two in the afternoon" since they both seem eqaully relevant and shouldn't be broken up (it reads like an awkward pause).

3. I see that you've already tried to darken the photo to let the words stand out more, but most of your text is still unreadable from the busy background, particuarly in the grass area. Unless your photo has significant empty space for text, you have to go the text overlay route where the picture is mostly reduced to texture.
I managed to find the same photo off of Pexels.com, so here's an extreme example with a quick recreate with Open Sans and Minion Pro:

I still think the background grass texture interferes with the text.

Oh and here's a second version that is more practical.

Hope this helps! It's not perfect, but you want to tinker with the version I made for you, I'd be happy to send you the original .psd

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Octorok posted:

Great advice

That's super helpful, thanks.

voodoodle
Oct 3, 2011
This is my personal logo. I'm really happy with this and I've gotten a few compliments on it. I'm not really looking to change it but I'm always interested in what people think.

Hopefully it reads as "JB". If anybody wants the vector or a black/white version to play with I can certainly make that available. Thanks for the feedback!

voodoodle fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 28, 2015

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Cool concept. It look like a built-in illustrator effect at the moment, though. I'd like to see some finesse in the points/curves. The B's counter space is super slim for the modifications you're making, too. I'm curious how it might look with that space being equal to the spacing between the letters.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

triplexpac posted:

That's because art is subjective. :shobon:
Some of them are also probably more right/better artists than others.
Personally I think you should go with one from Fayez's greek yogurt page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

My what?

edit: haha, oh wow, that was so long ago! I didn't even make the Greek connection but I do kind of see it.

Voodoodle: Your logo is a pretty good start but a lot about being a designer is consistency. That means line weight (positive or negative space), curve angle, etc. Since it would be tough to make everything balloon out from the B in a good looking, consistent way (I gave it a shot!), I would try to make your counters as consistent as possible. This is what I came up with:

Working on a grid with snapping makes life super easy, but your true starting location should really be with pencil and paper.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 29, 2015

• Locked thread