Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I beat the bouncing laser boss with almost no health left, and all I did was whip rush him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

Dominic White posted:

They wanted to remake the game so that veteran players wouldn't have exactly the same experience again. If you want to play the exact same freeware game that you played seven years ago, why would you even buy the remake?

The one seven years ago doesn't work on my current computer, firstly.

And I don't mind a different experience, but when 50% of the changes feel completely random, illogical or unnecessary, it's easy to feel really cheated. Why not remake the puzzles to get some of the items? Or changing the layouts of several areas in a big way? Swapping two items around and calling it a 'new experience' is just really lazy (and they did it a number of times), and in the example in my last post, more harmful to the feel of the game than anything I feel.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that they should have either fiddled with it less, making it more true to the original. Or fiddled with it more, so it comes off as less lazy and adds more.

MCXD fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 15, 2012

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Just bought this because I have heard a lot about it but never played it. Game is having an issue saving. I managed to successfully save 14:03 in (I know because that's what the save screen shows) and every attempt at any save point after that the game hangs for a while with the music on loop with it eventually telling me save successful but nothing actually gets saved.

I've googled around and can't find anyone else with this problem. Help?

When I close the game I have to go to task manager to actually kill the process or else the music will play on repeat. Win7 x64 if that helps.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

xwonderboyx posted:

Just bought this because I have heard a lot about it but never played it. Game is having an issue saving. I managed to successfully save 14:03 in (I know because that's what the save screen shows) and every attempt at any save point after that the game hangs for a while with the music on loop with it eventually telling me save successful but nothing actually gets saved.

I've googled around and can't find anyone else with this problem. Help?

When I close the game I have to go to task manager to actually kill the process or else the music will play on repeat. Win7 x64 if that helps.

Run it as an administrator.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dominic White posted:

They wanted to remake the game so that veteran players wouldn't have exactly the same experience again. If you want to play the exact same freeware game that you played seven years ago, why would you even buy the remake?

Holy poo poo what a terrible argument. Changing a few items around in minor but unintuitive ways is what gives you the difference between this and the original and therefore makes it worth playing?

Changes are not bad. Changes that work to the detriment of the game compared to the original are bad. The Bronze Mirror change makes absolutely no loving sense and I would never have found it without a spoiler. There was no reason to change it, but they did, and in a negative way.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
oh man, I've been flying through this and playing and I just beat viy or however it's spelled again and I think a puzzle isn't working right for me in the temple of the moon the puzzle with the 4 wooden chests and the normal chest, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to open the normal chests, I saw someone else say "oh yeah you put the weights on the platforms in that room" but there are no weight platforms in that room except the door trigger. I remember reading the tablet that said "open four chests place four weights" or whatever. What am I missing?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I finding a lot of the changes to be rather odd and unnecessary. Not enough to ruin the game but a lot of them made me wonder what the point of it was.

I also preferred some of the old bosses too. I find the hit detection of bosses to be really weird. One boss couldn't even hit me despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I should've taken damage a few times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mods please add "Run as Administrator" to the thread title.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Forer posted:

oh man, I've been flying through this and playing and I just beat viy or however it's spelled again and I think a puzzle isn't working right for me in the temple of the moon the puzzle with the 4 wooden chests and the normal chest, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to open the normal chests, I saw someone else say "oh yeah you put the weights on the platforms in that room" but there are no weight platforms in that room except the door trigger. I remember reading the tablet that said "open four chests place four weights" or whatever. What am I missing?

There are 4 locations you have to use the scanner to unlock the 4 weight pedestals.

1. C6 on the trap pedestal.
2. C4 where the 4 hands meet.
3. A1 on the highest platform.
4. E4 on the ground underneath the box switch.

The weights are placed left, top, bottom, then middle.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

tooooooo bad posted:

Run it as an administrator.

I actually did this right after posting and it worked. Sorry thread :kiddo:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Mods please add "Run as Administrator" to the thread title.

Alternatively, don't install to a Program Files directory. The game stores saves in [Game Directory]\data\save and windows has restrictions on what you can write to the PF directories nowadays.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

MrBims posted:

There are 4 locations you have to use the scanner to unlock the 4 weight pedestals.

1. C6 on the trap pedestal.
2. C4 where the 4 hands meet.
3. A1 on the highest platform.
4. E4 on the ground underneath the box switch.

The weights are placed left, top, bottom, then middle.

oh boy thank you, I'm wondering where you're supposed to get the tablets that tell you that

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

Alternatively, don't install to a Program Files directory. The game stores saves in [Game Directory]\data\save and windows has restrictions on what you can write to the PF directories nowadays.

That part really should have been thought through more by Nigoro. Maybe they'll release a patch or something to save to the user folder.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Forer posted:

oh boy thank you, I'm wondering where you're supposed to get the tablets that tell you that

There's a few spread around different zones, they say stuff like Those seeking Eden, open the four boxes, seek the four pedestals. Find (clue about where you're supposed to scan.) One of them is in Inferno Caverns southeast of the grail point, for example.

I just blew past all of them without a second thought and ended up having to look through the thread to solve it. They'll make more sense when you're done, it's a little change from the original.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

That part really should have been thought through more by Nigoro. Maybe they'll release a patch or something to save to the user folder.

Honestly it seems like this whole game could have used a little more thought before it was released. After having played a lot of it I'm not really surprised that Nintendo wouldn't release it outside of Japan. The whole thing is kind of a mess, and perhaps Nintendo wanted Nigoro to make a bunch of changes to it that they weren't willing or able to do. That or the translation was really bad, which is possible since Playism had to do it for them.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, it's very much not what you're supposed to do nowadays. Normally stuff works anyhow, since in order to preserve backwards compatibility windows will redirect writes to a protected directory to somewhere in your user directory instead. Apparently that isn't working for everyone this time.

Hopefully they patch so that an install to the default location instead the user directory for data storage, until then either move the game folder or run as admin.

Edit:

quote:

Honestly it seems like this whole game could have used a little more thought before it was released. After having played a lot of it I'm not really surprised that Nintendo wouldn't release it outside of Japan. The whole thing is kind of a mess, and perhaps Nintendo wanted Nigoro to make a bunch of changes to it that they weren't willing or able to do. That or the translation was really bad, which is possible since Playism had to do it for them.

In Nigoro's defense the Wii translation + port was being done by Nicalis who've previously made a complete mess of translating and porting Cave Story and seem to be rank amateurs. Given that the Japanese WiiWare version went through and didn't have any major issues (that I know of, which granted isn't saying much) I'm inclined to guess that Nicalis screwed the pooch on the US version.

Eh. Maybe I'm just defensive because I personally haven't been having any problems with this release and I haven't encountered a change from the original I dislike yet. Of course, I never did finish the original either.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 15, 2012

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Not a huge fan of the number of Shurikens I'm going to apparently have to grind to klil the Lizard, I currently have around 100, just fought him and I think that to the very least I hit him more often then I missed (so probably hit him a good 50-60 times if not more) and I ran out of shurikens. This wouldn't bother me if the game gave me a million shurikens to deal with him with but it didn't.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

Nintendo never denied the game, it was all Nicalis dragging their feet. Nicalis was publishing the game on WiiWare and they translated the game for it too, but ended up just sitting on it for mysterious reasons, leaving Nigoro in the dark.

And I'm not really sure what you mean when you say the whole thing is a mess. Personally I think it's been fantastic so far.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

goldjas posted:

Not a huge fan of the number of Shurikens I'm going to apparently have to grind to klil the Lizard, I currently have around 100, just fought him and I think that to the very least I hit him more often then I missed (so probably hit him a good 50-60 times if not more) and I ran out of shurikens. This wouldn't bother me if the game gave me a million shurikens to deal with him with but it didn't.

There's another weapon you can use to fight him but it seems to do even less damage than the shurikens.

Spoiler just in case, It's the flare gun in Inferno.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Just a little help needed:

First "area" spoilers
So I got the anhk to appear in what I'm guessing is the boss room? But... I can't do anything to it. No scanning, to damaging it, nothing. Am I still missing something in one of the other rooms?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Okay, I beat Ellmac, now what do I do to get the bronze mirror?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

ShadeofDante posted:

First "area" spoilers
So I got the anhk to appear in what I'm guessing is the boss room? But... I can't do anything to it. No scanning, to damaging it, nothing. Am I still missing something in one of the other rooms?

Minimum spoiler:
Yes, you are missing something in one of the other rooms

Spoiler:
Activating Ankhs takes a specific "sub-weapon" that's only used for that one task. Activating the Guardian requires both making the Ankh appear and having found one of these keys.

Edit: Got my puzzles mixed up :downs:

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 15, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Why can't I use the grail to teleport to the temple of moonlight? Starting to get annoying running back there every time.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

ShadeofDante posted:

First "area" spoilers

There's a puzzle involving destroying 4 things. Do it.

Edit for above: I don't know about this remake, but in the original you had to have a specific ROM combination equipped to teleport to alternate zones. I can't for the life of me remember which they were or where you found them though.

Edit for below: Finally beat him, took 130 or so. The lizard is a lot easier in this game, but requires a lot more shurikens to kill. I prefer the original version actually, it was hard as nails but went down in like 20-30 hits.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 15, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

goldjas posted:

If your only option is a ton of shirukens then you shouldn't be fighting him. You will really regret spending the money for those later. Come back with a better weapon the Axe. I can't overstate how much of a difference it makes re: early game bosses.

Same goes for all early bosses. You don't need to fight them at the earliest possible opportunity. You can do a lot before fighting Bahamut. I like to roll into that fight after getting all but two of the max life up stones, which is absolutely a thing that you can do.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Why can't I use the grail to teleport to the temple of moonlight? Starting to get annoying running back there every time.

it's a gameplay mechanic
Minor spoiler:The temple of moonlight is consitered a 'backside' area.

so unrelated, since the gun is an item you can get immediately and isn't a spoiler then who here used all their shots already? I ended up using two shots on a boss sakit and after having trouble with a miniboss twin miniboss pegasus after getting aggrivated I just said screw it and went to town.

was worth every bullet, including the two I missed

Forer fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 15, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And I'm not really sure what you mean when you say the whole thing is a mess. Personally I think it's been fantastic so far.

Yeah, no problems at all here, either. The complaints seem to be along the lines of 'it's not exactly the same as it was seven years ago' - those who are starting fresh don't even have a point of reference here.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
A tip for the fourth boss: when he tries to jump from the background and land on top of you, if you're in the middle of the screen you can shoot a flare up at his face and still have time to move out of the way. Every bit of damage helps!

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Xerophyte posted:

Minimum spoiler:
Yes, you are missing something in one of the other rooms

Spoiler:
Activating Ankhs takes a specific "sub-weapon" that's only used for that one task. Activating the Guardian requires both making the Ankh appear and having found one of these keys.

Edit: Got my puzzles mixed up :downs:

Thanks for the help.

I apparently didn't realize you can push the wall underneath the sacrifice pit. Made things super simple. No idea why I assumed you had to use a weight to remove those type of walls all the time.

So far I'm absolutely loving this game. I couldn't bother to get very far in the original but something about this updated presentation just sucks me in.

edit:
First Boss Spoilers:
hahaha holy poo poo the pistol 3 shot him

ShadeofDante fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 15, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zeether posted:

Okay, I beat Ellmac, now what do I do to get the bronze mirror?

Go to the Chamber of Extinction from the bottom right of Temple of the Sun, bottom route. Wander around in the dark in that room until you find a large block you can hit, in the middle of the room. After the shell sounds, go back to the room to the left.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nintendo never denied the game, it was all Nicalis dragging their feet. Nicalis was publishing the game on WiiWare and they translated the game for it too, but ended up just sitting on it for mysterious reasons, leaving Nigoro in the dark.

According to Nicalis, Nintendo cited compliance issues and then stated it was the right of the developer (Nigoro) to fix them. From what I gather it was a huge mess of miscommunication between Nigoro, who is made up of three guys who can't speak English, Nicalis, and Nintendo. At this point I don't blame Nicalis for dropping it as WiiWare is pretty much dead and I don't think Nintendo has announced if WiiWare will be the same on the Wii U platform.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MrBims posted:

Go to the Chamber of Extinction from the bottom right of Temple of the Sun, bottom route. Wander around in the dark in that room until you find a large block you can hit, in the middle of the room. After the shell sounds, go back to the room to the left.
I can't reach the entrance because a platform is blocking the way :(

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

I can't reach the entrance because a platform is blocking the way :(

You need to solve a puzzle and find an item in the Spring in the Sky.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MrBims posted:

Alternatively, when you reach a tablet that says something like cast a light, fire a flare at that location and it'll hit a light that illuminates the whole area so you're not wandering around. Then go forward and the block you need to hit is pretty obvious.

Also ignore the people telling you to use flares on bosses. Don't do this. Dear god don't do this, flares are stupidly expensive and they have poo poo damage.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 15, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

According to Nicalis, Nintendo cited compliance issues and then stated it was the right of the developer (Nigoro) to fix them. From what I gather it was a huge mess of miscommunication between Nigoro, who is made up of three guys who can't speak English, Nicalis, and Nintendo. At this point I don't blame Nicalis for dropping it as WiiWare is pretty much dead and I don't think Nintendo has announced if WiiWare will be the same on the Wii U platform.

Fun fact: Within weeks of Playism taking over after Nicalis hosed up for an entire year, the game is back on track for a US/EU Wii release. The German ratings board just certified the game. No set date, but they're fairly confident on 'soon'.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Loving this game so far. Too bad it took me so long to figure out I needed to scan save points instead of just saving, but past that it's been smooth sailing.

And man I probably shouldn't have read that tablet the second time.

Currently trying to figure out the whole giant dungeon. Took me a few run throughs to realize that the endless hallway is indeed endless.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, the second boss is really tough - I can't hit his face without being smacked by the backlash when he pulls his arm back, unless i jump forward and hope I don't get hit by bolders or accidentally bump into his face and take like 30 damage. Is it OK if I save him for later? The first boss didn't seem to do anything obvious yet.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

So, the second boss is really tough - I can't hit his face without being smacked by the backlash when he pulls his arm back, unless i jump forward and hope I don't get hit by bolders or accidentally bump into his face and take like 30 damage. Is it OK if I save him for later? The first boss didn't seem to do anything obvious yet.

While you do unlock 'something' from beating bosses, killing bosses before you acquire the spoilered item they were talking about earlier does nothing, so you can take your time and run around and gain lifeups and whatnot, and then come back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Fun fact: Within weeks of Playism taking over after Nicalis hosed up for an entire year, the game is back on track for a US/EU Wii release. The German ratings board just certified the game. No set date, but they're fairly confident on 'soon'.

I just don't think Nintendo is 100% innocent considering Nicalis has a good track record. It makes no sense to sit on the game when NightSky, VVVVVV, and two versions of Cave Story have been released on Nintendo platforms with no issues. The WiiWare version is also 44mb and if I recall the limit is strictly 40mb which is why Sonic CD was denied. How the game got released in Japan initially either means they have a larger file size limit or Nintendo of Japan made an exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Forer posted:

While you do unlock 'something' from beating bosses, killing bosses before you acquire the spoilered item they were talking about earlier does nothing, so you can take your time and run around and gain lifeups and whatnot, and then come back.

Just want to make sure, they were talking about the Bronze Mirror up there, right? I'm STILL stuck on the second boss he is a mother fucker :mad:

• Locked thread