Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Might be a signifier that it's a berserker? Otherwise I dunno, go stand next to it for a while and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Got Vow of Courage 3 using a seriously beefy HEHu and oklobs. The oklobs did all the work in Tomb (I think I killed <10 mummies personally), vampiric great sword made Slime a cakewalk, nearly died to a mob of thrashing horrors after getting the abyssal rune.

Just before the tourney I did this then died to Asmodeus, maybe this time I will actually use oklobs on a hell lord instead of saving them for important stuff like leaving the dungeon with 40 fruit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

scalded schlong posted:

Might be a signifier that it's a berserker? Otherwise I dunno, go stand next to it for a while and report back.

It took out about a third of my health with one swing, so I ran away.

Then I went through a portal and got murdered by a decayed bog body. They're a lot stronger than their description says they are. Kill you in 2 hits strong.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Player ghost weapons are random.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Why is it every time I go down into swamp:1 Nikola and a vapour are just waiting for me just off screen from the steps.

Every time!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Won that troll.
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14.0-8-g0920828 (webtiles) character file.

2107398 Lawman0 the Heavyweight Champion (level 27, 275/275 HPs)
             Began as a Troll Enchanter on Apr 12, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Nemelex Xobeh.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Apr 13, 2014!

The game lasted 08:37:47 (104952 turns).

Lawman0 the Heavyweight Champion (TrEn)           Turns: 104952, Time: 08:37:47

HP 275/275       AC 24     Str 31      XL: 27
MP  35/43        EV 20     Int 22      God: Nemelex Xobeh [******]
Gold 1733        SH 47     Dex 12      Spells: 15 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +       - Unarmed
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     S - +5 faerie dragon armour {rF+}
rNeg   + . .     Conserve .     W - +0 large shield
rPois  +         rCorr    .     j - +3 hat of Pondering {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5}
rElec  .         rRot     .     a - +1 cloak of the Barber Surgeon {MR++ SInv}
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   +         Warding  .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  +         Stasis   .     R - amulet of resist mutation
MR     +++++                    q - ring "Orif" {Regen rF++ rN+ Str+2}
                                G - ring "Tuggih" {rPois Acc+7 Dam+5 SInv}

@: phasing (expiring), very slightly contaminated, hasted, very quick, almost
entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, claws 3, hooves 1, horns 1, large bone plates 1, agile 1,
fast metabolism 3, gourmand, low mp 1, poison resistance, regeneration 2,
saprovore 2, shaggy fur 1, spit poison 1, strong 1, tough skin 2
a: Spit Poison, Draw One, Peek at Two, Triple Draw, Deal Four, Stack Five,
Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver

You escaped.
You worshipped Nemelex Xobeh.
Nemelex Xobeh was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 12 branches of the dungeon, and saw 67 of its levels.
You visited 1 Ziggurat, and saw 10 of its levels.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Ossuary, Bailey and Volcano.

You collected 9673 gold pieces.
You spent 7784 gold pieces at shops.
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20140413-165206.txt

Still mad about missing the first 5 wins but I stole the combo high score.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Internet Kraken posted:

Go through dungeons to the depths and then do the two lair branches. You could definitely clear both of them with your guy but no harm in picking up extra exp and potential loot. You'll want to avoid Elf unless you get a source of conversation though. You won't die but they will wreck all your scrolls.

Thanks for the advice, too bad I killed myself by panicking like an idiot.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

PleasingFungus posted:

Your scoring is based on how many gargoyles that started before you were won, so it doesn't matter how long you take, as long as you started early enough.

Godspeed!

Well, that's good, because I started this guy about five minutes after the tournament started.

Four runes down, I'm considering doing extended. After banging my head against the wall for the last few months trying to get a win with every race, I'd forgotten just how fun it is to have a character with aptitudes that don't suck horribly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Well, that's good, because I started this guy about five minutes after the tournament started.

Four runes down, I'm considering doing extended. After banging my head against the wall for the last few months trying to get a win with every race, I'd forgotten just how fun it is to have a character with aptitudes that don't suck horribly.

Yeah for some reason I'm addicted to gimmick combos and it's always amazing to try something normal and sail through the game.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Ugly John posted:

gently caress I just lost a really good GrFi because I didn't realize that titanic slimes are slightly faster than you. I was trying to lead it around in an open area to see if it would break apart :(

Still trying to race(ish) for the first JJnG win. Doing a lot better once I stopped trying to grab some of the weirder banners.

EDIT:

I think you're good to start Spider at least. Make sure you save ranged options for the orb spiders.

I'm still as bad as ever. I know one of us will get it going soon!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Pan's a bit different than what I'm normally used to. Those demonspawn combined with Naga slow movement and no Haste makes me really timid. I mistakenly took an Abyss gate out and sort of toured around for a bit before I realized the denizens and the map were different. With -30% MP, my 32 points disappeared rather quickly so I had to casted teleport before chucking a couple firestorms several times as I descended. Then the stairs down to Abyss:4 drops me inside the rune vault with it directly in sight.

If I had any other mutation I'd probably continue Pan/Hell. Maybe if I can get over my aversion to using Sublimation maybe that will change? Tomb was trivialized by Necromutation and casting Firestorm/Dispel Undead on top of stairs and I have the other 4 natural runes.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Chained two 15 rune wins together to put me in 6th place, feeling really :smug: right about now. Too bad that's the highest up that I'm going to get.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Has anyone pointed out that gargoyles remain hilariously op. Cause gargoyles remain hilariously op.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Pan's a bit different than what I'm normally used to.

I thought it was a lot easier now instead of walking into a room and seeing it filled with hell sentinels and other tier 1 demons you walk in and it's just a bunch of lovely demonspawn but I wasn't a naga with the worst mutations ever. Same with Dis having a bunch of lovely gargoyles instead of wall to wall hell sentinels and iron dragons.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The worst part is that's the only mutation I have. It was -20% for a long time and then I had the unfortunate luck of running into an Orb of Fire in Zot:2 who made everything worse. I've only found *one* cure mutation which cleared up my other slight disabilities from that encounter. Guess we'll see how I feel after slowly rolling through Zot.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Dammit, CSZO crashed on me and now I get this message when trying to get back into my game:

"Another game is already in progress using your save. Hit any key to exit..."

How do I get this fixed?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LogicNinja posted:

Dammit, CSZO crashed on me and now I get this message when trying to get back into my game:

"Another game is already in progress using your save. Hit any key to exit..."

How do I get this fixed?

Most bugs like this tend to just sort themselves out after about ten to fifteen minutes, but if it doesn't or you're impatient, go into ##crawl or ##crawl-dev and bug |amethyst about it.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Janissary Hop posted:

Has anyone pointed out that gargoyles remain hilariously op. Cause gargoyles remain hilariously op.

Yeah just got the brute force banner with a grfi rocking a +3,+2 whip of elec, clarity, and large shield and just finished D:15 with little problem

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I just lost a promising caster to being Abyssed by the VERY LAST Sorcerer in Elf:3. Like he was sitting in the smaller loot chamber. Dammit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
gently caress whoever decided to add shock serpents. Oh you don't have rElec? Well here's an enemy that is fast, can rack up stupid amounts of damage if you can't resist it, and appears loving EVERYWHERE in the snake pits. An area filled with tight corridors where the lightning bounces can kill you easily. Oh but if you do have relec its totally trivial. Such a great enemy.

Lost a loving MuSk to one because webtiles lagged and I moved through a bunch of lighting bursts :smithicide: If I had rElec it wouldn't of done anything.

EIDT: I mean snake is REALLY loving dumb now. You need rPois obviously, but you also need rFire for Salamanders and rElec for shock serpents. No other lair branch necessitates that many resists.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 13, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I agree, shock serpents should do more damage through rElec.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I just lost my best character. An early ring of slaying made the early game/lair actually tolerable and I lucked out with a demon trident on top of it. I got down to swamp 5 and realized it was the Lernaean hydra ending. I try to pull back with blinks but I'm a naga and it was catching up so I teleport and it sends me right into the rune vault. I do invisible and teleport again and it moves me a few squares to the right.

I slunked into a tiny room with a four-headed hydra. Three of its heads missed. One head managed to connect for the one single hit point I had remaining.

I'm never going to get a necromancer to a rune.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

kaschei posted:

I agree, shock serpents should do more damage through rElec.

Shock serpents already do a dumb amount of damage through rElec.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

EIDT: I mean snake is REALLY loving dumb now. You need rPois obviously, but you also need rFire for Salamanders and rElec for shock serpents. No other lair branch necessitates that many resists.
Either tediously kite or get some kind of ranged ability and it's pretty trivial. Snake is easily the easiest branch in my mind, although I will admit that I am probably overestimating the threat of thorn hunters due to a few consecutive deaths.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I'm not liking the changes to dungeon design made in 0.14. Only 15 D levels means you have a lot less chances for loot before you have to tackle areas where resistances greatly improve your survival odds. You can't even do Vaults to get more loot without doing at least one lair branch first. Removing floors doesn't sound like a big idea but you have to consider that each floor is a chance for more loot which means more tools available. It just means there is a bigger chance of you being RNG screwed.

VVVV I got abyssed twice on my last run and both times found an exit in less than two minutes. I thought they made escapoing form abyss:1 trivial but maybe I just got absurdly "lucky".

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Getting abyssed is still pretty bullshit. It's not exactly my fault I hadn't come across any magic resist gear -at all- by the time I ran across Louise, game. I can take out Asterion just fine but there's nothing I can do against this spell which half the time is basically just a death sentence.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

A shapeshifter showed up on d:8 first as an Emperor Scorpion, and then as a Grey Draconian that threw a stone at me for 24 damage through 15-20 AC. What the poo poo.

the glow
May 31, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Getting abyssed is still pretty bullshit. It's not exactly my fault I hadn't come across any magic resist gear -at all- by the time I ran across Louise

code:
(-16, 14, Snake:3)
  the -2,+7 falchion "Ruejef" {slice, MR++ Dex-3}

Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
[Shop] Veosecad's Jewellery Shop
  an uncursed ring of protection from magic (250 gold)

j - the +4,+6 hand axe of Capital Punishment {vamp, MR++}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)   

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fair enough, but I don't think that the one pip from the ring would be enough and if I used the weapons I doubt I'd be able to do enough damage to take down Louise.

e: more importantly I just want to be impotently mad

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 13, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

the glow posted:

code:
(-16, 14, Snake:3)
  the -2,+7 falchion "Ruejef" {slice, MR++ Dex-3}

Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
[Shop] Veosecad's Jewellery Shop
  an uncursed ring of protection from magic (250 gold)

j - the +4,+6 hand axe of Capital Punishment {vamp, MR++}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)   

:downsowned:

I am finding .14 significantly more challenging than .13, maybe I just have not played in awhile.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's harder but it's due to experience changes and not the things people notice and complain about and see clusters of.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I can't get to CSZO tiles at all. I just get this message: The Websocket connection was closed. Reload to try again. Is this just me?

the glow
May 31, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Fair enough, but I don't think that the one pip from the ring would be enough and if I used the weapons I doubt I'd be able to do enough damage to take down Louise.

The one pip from the ring wouldn't have guaranteed your safety, that's true, but it'd have given you a much better shot at resisting a few times rather than getting virtually insta-banished, and that could buy you enough time to kill her, or at least escape. You may not have had any skill with long blades/axes but Heroism + Finesse (and potion of might if necessary) means you can achieve respectable damage output - certainly enough to kill Louise - with any weapon that circumstance forces you to wield. Even if you never intended to use either weapon in melee, you should still definitely have been carrying that falchion with you everywhere just as an emergency MR stick that you could equip while in LOS of banishing or paralysing enemies.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Prism posted:

I can't get to CSZO tiles at all. I just get this message: The Websocket connection was closed. Reload to try again. Is this just me?

The website is down as well.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

really bummed about war gargoyles yo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Banishment has never really bothered me much. At least you have a chance to get out of the abyss. Paralysis though...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kaschei posted:

It's harder but it's due to experience changes and not the things people notice and complain about and see clusters of.

I dunno, to me it seems like monster spawning is a lot harder now. I'm seeing way more of monsters I normally only saw in small amounts. The only exception to this was Zot though which was inexplicably easy. Maybe its just confirmation bias, but I'd never seen a vaults:5 with multiple ancient liches riding quick silver dragons or a crypt:5 packed to the brim with sphinx.

Then there are the new enemies that are just horrifying additions.

VVV And I thought my D:11 with 6 hill giants was bad.

Did they actually scale vault spawning to work with the lower amount of dungeon levels or are people looking for lair gonna have to deal with this poo poo if they get unlucky?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 14, 2014

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

What the gently caress?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Seems perfectly normal for Depths, I don't-

oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well, zig diving has come up all sevens. Wucad Mu, two cure mutation potions and still terrible artifact rings!

EDIT: Also finally getting rMut except I generally run around as a Lich so I'm not really concerned about having that anymore.

• Locked thread