Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Isn't that a bad guy from SpaceChem hanging from the hood in the opening movie? I thought that was a nice touch.

And much like SpaceChem, I am crap at this game but I love it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
This one was easier than I thought it would be

Met48 posted:

Looks like it records the time between first and second output; works great if you build one unit at a time:

Not as good for irregular output rates. I'm not sure how they should really solve that; it'd be great if the game could detect repeated states, though we'd still need gifs for factories which break after the 10th output.

Whaaaaat how were you able to weld finished panels onto finished Middle part. Me and my buddy spent about 2 hours making this wasteful monstrosity, because we didn't think you could just do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZI-vf41v8

E: Also sometime while building this, I was startled by a camera drone that just popped up in my face and stared at me for a few minutes, then went away. I love how this game has a quite a bit of personality for what kind of game it is.

Observe Me fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 31, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Observe Me posted:

Whaaaaat how were you able to weld finished panels onto finished Middle part. Me and my buddy spent about 2 hours making this wasteful monstrosity, because we didn't think you could just do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZI-vf41v8

E: Also sometime while building this, I was startled by a camera drone that just popped up in my face and stared at me for a few minutes, then went away. I love how this game has a quite a bit of personality for what kind of game it is.

The trick for that is having moving welders. They'll switch on automatically once they're lined up in a valid configuration, even if they're mounted to pushers. Here's my solution for that, using the same principle (though in a much less elegant fashion :v:): http://gfycat.com/DeafeningGlossyChamois

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Observe Me posted:

Playing with someone else reminds me of Pair Programming. Doubt we would ever see multiplayer in a traditional sense but its interesting to imagine.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Perestroika posted:

The trick for that is having moving welders. They'll switch on automatically once they're lined up in a valid configuration, even if they're mounted to pushers. Here's my solution for that, using the same principle (though in a much less elegant fashion :v:): http://gfycat.com/DeafeningGlossyChamois

I didn't even know you could align welders like that. :doh:

Chunjee posted:

Playing with someone else reminds me of Pair Programming. Doubt we would ever see multiplayer in a traditional sense but its interesting to imagine.

Oh its a blast, and I totally recommend it if you have a friend that plays. A whole lot of firing ideas back and forth, and failures are much more enjoyable when there is someone to share in them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I made a puzzle!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=384593318

I hope you like complex shapes.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Just bought this today. It's absolutely amazing. I'm already #1 compared to my 5 other friends in cycles in the puzzles I've done so far. Just an all around great game so far.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009
The hardest part for relay satellite has been building solar panels fast enough; none of my solutions run forever because they either delay the middle part until enough solar panels are buffered, or they do this:

I really don't like making factories that eventually break :(

On the other hand, still better than this kind of solution:

Met48 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 31, 2015

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Olpainless posted:

After seeing your solution to this I kind of (badly, probably) combined the two ideas, and well...

85 cycles. Still think there is some leeway here to go a touch faster.

You should join the group leaderboard http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Infinifactigoons

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Is there a actually a way of seeing a leaderboard for the group that's not friending every member?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

OddObserver posted:

Is there a actually a way of seeing a leaderboard for the group that's not friending every member?

Why wouldn't you wanna friend your fellow goons?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Huge fan of this method:

And finally getting a hang of using lifters:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Could anyone give me a hint on Optical Sensor Array Type 4? I can't figure out how to make the X shape. I've managed to weld 4 things together in the correct shape, but then my machine jams.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

Could anyone give me a hint on Optical Sensor Array Type 4? I can't figure out how to make the X shape. I've managed to weld 4 things together in the correct shape, but then my machine jams.

Have you tried vertical welders?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Elswyyr posted:

There's a few GIFs of it in the thread. Simplest method is to just forget rotators and build the X shape the old-fashioned way.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Terrible relay satellite solution:

It's really hard to load it in sideways. I'm pushing a conveyor belt into the goal area to move the final product.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Speaking of relay sat, is there a reliable way to rotate a single-block? I'm stuck enforcing spacing when moving over the rotator. Rotation blocks are a real pain in the rear end.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Speaking of terrible solutions, how do you fix a sensor that triggers one time too many?

:suicide:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Speaking of relay sat, is there a reliable way to rotate a single-block? I'm stuck enforcing spacing when moving over the rotator. Rotation blocks are a real pain in the rear end.

One method is to drop it, and while it's dropping push a rotator where it lands on it, then retract the rotator.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Those rotator solutions that only work for 10 products are silly. Here's a relay satellite that works on any speed:

Trick: welding with two vertical and one horizontal welder. The blockers aren't necessary if you have precise timing.

The column sensor on the bottom prevents the the second push from moving the column.

Synchronizing the two input streams, using the column sensor:

A pusher provides back pressure, preventing the rotator from clogging:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I really don't understand how people are having issues with relay satelite.
You just need to drop the pillar first, and then drop the side pieces to weld them in place.
I drop one of the side pieces at the same time as the center pillar here, but it's fine to drop it later as well.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

A pusher provides back pressure, preventing the rotator from clogging:

I thought that rotator was turning the column twice; but after about a min of looking at it; figured out it is just badly looped :argh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Buffis posted:

I really don't understand how people are having issues with relay satelite.
You just need to drop the pillar first, and then drop the side pieces to weld them in place.
I drop one of the side pieces at the same time as the center pillar here, but it's fine to drop it later as well.

It's because that setup of welders isn't really obvious.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I think they show you the L shaped welding beam configuration on the informational projected sign when welders are introduced, but it's not until much later in the game that it becomes something you need, so it's easy to forget about it...

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Quinton posted:

I think they show you the L shaped welding beam configuration on the informational projected sign when welders are introduced, but it's not until much later in the game that it becomes something you need, so it's easy to forget about it...

They don't, although I can see why, usually the L shape will just make welders get in the way of your products.
But yeah, welder beams will connect to anything adjacent (often when you don't want them to :argh:).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

:negative:

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
that shouldn't be too bad to fix, just flip around those blocks before they get welded together.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think the relay satellite puzzle is really interesting. It seems like we all come up with very similar solutions. Here's mine, wherin any action is coincidental because I just sort of fiddled around until it worked:

I might replace it with the drop weld though. I didn't realize there was anywhere you could weld in-place.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Bhodi posted:

I think the relay satellite puzzle is really interesting. It seems like we all come up with very similar solutions. Here's mine, wherin any action is coincidental because I just sort of fiddled around until it worked:

I might replace it with the drop weld though. I didn't realize there was anywhere you could weld in-place.

:colbert:

Edit: went back and made this one work at max input speed- had to come up with this little jobby to make it happen:

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 1, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

How do you guys make tall things? Making 3+ tall things (i.e. Guided Javelin Type 1) still stymies me. Is it just clever timing?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Well, the image I posted is one way, but that's when it's one kind of block that's high enough.

Bhodi posted:

My feels a little different, but that's largely on account of being kinda bad, since it's poorly positioned and does some pointless vertical and roundabout motion to get out of a tight spot on that account:

(Though the blocker/moving track combo on top is fun to look at)

@Dietrich: that's beautiful. Are the drills for higher block rates?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 1, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OddObserver posted:

Well, the image I posted is one way, but that's when it's one kind of block that's high enough.

Ah, I see it now! And I JUST got blockers too! Thanks! Now our alien overlords will have all the missiles they need!

Edit:

Probably a cludge compared to some of the solutions here, but it works for me!

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 1, 2015

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

OddObserver posted:

@Dietrich: that's beautiful. Are the drills for higher block rates?

No that's actually because I was lazy on lower rates. Originally I just had a rotation block with nothing fancy for the central core, so the first set of solar blocks were wasted because the central section was one cycle back.

I just spent like an hour optimizing it: check this out.

Core Side:

Panel Side:

120 cycles, 116 footprint.

Edit: And now I realized I could move the whole assembly one block closer to the feed and shave off like 12 blocks. Someone shoot me.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 1, 2015

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
It's times like that where I really wish there was a mass selection + movie ability - be able to highlight a big group of blocks and move them around as a group, or copy+paste.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I can't use the ingame gif creator to make a gif of my Critter Grinder :smith:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Viking_Helmet posted:

It's times like that where I really wish there was a mass selection + movie ability - be able to highlight a big group of blocks and move them around as a group, or copy+paste.

That would be so nice to have all those times you need to move an entire structure over one block.

Always thought of factories in SpaceChem as methods or functions, I wonder if we will see any multiple factory stages where your finished product acts as an input for another level? Perhaps this isn't needed with the larger working space available in Infinifactory.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009
Mobile factory parts are amazing

96 cycles, runs forever. Dropping the solar panels loses one cycle per output, so I'm looking to optimize that next.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Met48 posted:

Mobile factory parts are amazing

96 cycles, runs forever. Dropping the solar panels loses one cycle per output, so I'm looking to optimize that next.

I just noticed the welder assembly following the tower in. That's amazing.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Piling in on the "Relay Satellite gifs" train:

Not super-efficient, but yay, lifters :).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Can you spot the exact point where I realised I'd finally welded the whole thing together, but had no way to extricate the drat thing? Unless...

• Locked thread