Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Might, and declare war on the protectorate. We must obtain the gene-vault avenge the monastery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Going with Frugality, more food is always good. Or we could go Foresight, for even more :science:

Though if we do go to war with Kavitha to avenge Omokane, Adaptive Tactics migth not be a bad choice...

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Fellow citizens of the Commonwealth, the news of the attack on Omoikane has struck me hard. They were our friends and trading partners, and now their homes have been razed with startling speed. I implore you to welcome the refugees pouring into Jimboomba as you would a sibling or child. In the meantime, I have been in some rather... heated discussions with Kavitha Thakur, who, until now, I had counted as a friend. She and Elodie of Franco-Iberia claim that unethical human experiments were being conducted underneath the farms and temples of the settlement, which the monks refused to cease. Proof of this, however, is quite lacking so far. In the face of this blatant aggression, the Committee has authorized the recruitment of additional marine platoons, as well as the construction of some of the first tactical jet fighters this planet has seen. Hopefully we can come to a peaceful resolution in this crisis, but the cries of the homeless are hard to ignore. We must be ready for anything.

Also, I forgot to add Liquidity (-20% cost to purchase units and buildings) to the list of potential Virtues. That might also be useful, considering the loss of Omoikane has cost us 16 Energy per turn from the trade route, which could have eventually been 24 per turn. Bastards. :argh:

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 1, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sold. Adaptive Tactics it is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Whoa; I've never seen the AI kill an indie station before. I thought only the Aliens did that.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Neruz posted:

Whoa; I've never seen the AI kill an indie station before. I thought only the Aliens did that.
Really? They try to all the time in my games. It's gotten to the point where I often have to station a complete perimeter of my own units around them as soon as I can so the AI can't destroy them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Really? They try to all the time in my games. It's gotten to the point where I often have to station a complete perimeter of my own units around them as soon as I can so the AI can't destroy them.

Seconded. I've also seen the AI lose half a dozen units trying to kill a station.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And even if they don't killl a station sometimes the station will just die if nobody trades with them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

And even if they don't killl a station sometimes the station will just die if nobody trades with them.

This happens to me all the time and its infuriating as hell. I want to trade with you you stupid station but you came down in the middle of an entire field of miasma :argh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Revenge of the RoboHutama!

Based upon Kavitha getting Gene Vault, can we assume she's going Purity?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Kavitha usually goes Harmony or Purity, it's a bit too early to tell though since the AI tends to spread out a bit at the start before picking an affinity.

The new Gene Vault is really synergistic with Kavitha since they like to spam cities everywhere and own giant tracts of land so the AI will tend to beeline for it even if it intends to go Harmony or rarely Supremacy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Holy poo poo we're gaining Supremacy points surprisingly fast :stare:
Did I miss a decision to go Supremacy, or does the game just throw those quests your way randomly?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

*Incoherent Indonesian swearing*

New thread title, anyone? :v:

On a more serious note though, the AI actually killed Omoikane? I've never actually seen the AI go after them before. Usually the aliens end up munching on them, or no one trades with them and they poof

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pierzak posted:

Did I miss a decision to go Supremacy, or does the game just throw those quests your way randomly?

Goons voted Supremacy every time.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

habeasdorkus posted:

Based upon Kavitha getting Gene Vault, can we assume she's going Purity?
Yeah, it's still too early to tell for sure, but she does have two points of Purity and zero of the others, so it seems likely.

Pierzak posted:

I'm basing the decision on the thread's reactions to the various quests we've been given. It could still change, but yes, we're heavily invested in roboluv at this point.

ousire posted:

New thread title, anyone? :v:

On a more serious note though, the AI actually killed Omoikane? I've never actually seen the AI go after them before. Usually the aliens end up munching on them, or no one trades with them and they poof
There was also a Siege Worm up there until recently, so maybe it softened the station up? It was in fog of war, so I only saw their health bar ticking down.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's fine, Supremacy gets really awesome late-game. Well, all the affinities get awesome late-game. But I like Supremacy when it's time to swarm the enemy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

It's fine, Supremacy gets really awesome late-game. Well, all the affinities get awesome late-game. But I like Supremacy when it's time to swarm the enemy.
I'm a devoted Purity player but even I love the level 3 Supremacy upgrade, free roads are simply too awesome to pass up.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, now I'm confused. Which one is the "turn into 40K Imperium" path?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Could it be anything but Purity?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

Could it be anything but Purity?

With minors in Supremacy and Harmony because the Imperium of Man is nothing if not prone to cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy when it comes to stuff that's useful to it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Pierzak posted:

Wait, now I'm confused. Which one is the "turn into 40K Imperium" path?

Purity is Imperium, Supremacy is Tau/Necrons, Harmony is Tyranids.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I'll keep the Virtue voting open until Sunday, since there is now another matter as well. I don't have "new random seed" on, so this quest should fire no matter which one we pick:

Studying resilience gives all units +5 Healing, and studying weaknesses gives Alien Preserves +1 Science and +1 Energy.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Weakness!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Either is good, both are powerful, I think we'll enjoy the boosts from Weakness more.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
For those that are asking about the various affinities, here's a quick summary of each of the three:

Harmony believes that humanity needs to cooperate with the planet in order to survive. Instead of adapting the planet to better suit humans, they instead adapt humans to better suit the planet. Their special resource is Xenomass, and their units eventually take the form of genetically modified humans to make them more and more hybridized with the aliens, along with straight up taming the aliens themselves. At high enough Harmony, your units will be immune to the effects of the miasma, and eventually even will heal in it. Harmony's win condition is to construct the Mind Flower, a wonder which will slowly connect every entity on the planet into one hivemind, turning the planet into one godlike intelligence. Every city can also build a Mind Stem, which speeds up the process.

Supremacy believes that humanity's future lies in technology. They augment themselves with cybernetic enhancements and eventually start becoming more machine than man. Their special resource is Firaxite, with units eventually gaining flanking or adjacency bonuses, and take the form of big chunky mechas and walker robots. At high enough harmony, they gain the ability to gain free roads, global vision for all Firaxite, and can sabotage other player's electronics. Supremacy's win condition is to "enlighten" mankind by building the Emancipation Gate, a wonder that's basically a star gate that leads back to Earth, and sending enough military units through to conquer the planet and forcibly transfer the remaining humans into robotic bodies.

Purity believes that humanity must remain as they are, no matter what. No genetic modifications, no cybernetics, no exceptions. Purity is very much the Warhammer 40K FOR THE EMPERA, bigger guns, more dakka, massive xenophobia affinity. Their special resource is Floatstone, and their units tend to just be bigger and bigger tanks and siege weapons, with late game units essentially being giant flying castles lifted by Floatstone anti-grav tech. Purity eventually gets bonuses to attacking aliens, bonuses to orbital units, and can easily kill population in cities via sabotage. Purity's win condition is to build the Exodus Gate, a wonder that's basically a star gate that leads back to Earth. Once the gate is built, it will summon Earthling colonists, which act just like a regular settler unit, and your goal is to build earthling settlements with them, and reach a total Earthling population of 20 (That's 20 population, not 20 cities).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cythereal posted:

Seconded. I've also seen the AI lose half a dozen units trying to kill a station.

In the only game of BE I played, I once watched Fielding try and take out a station by sending drips and drabs of units there to take it out. She kept losing units or retreating them to heal when they took too much damage from the attack or station defense. It was sad enough that I kept a scouting unit there just to see if she finally was able to do it. I think she finally did, once she unlocked Battlesuits and sent one of those in...

Speedball posted:

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm a devoted Purity player but even I love the level 3 Supremacy upgrade, free roads are simply too awesome to pass up.

Yeah, I went Purity/Supremacy, and that worked pretty well. Had ANGELs and CNDRs backing up my LEV Destroyers and Battlesuits, which looks kinda jarring, but still works effectively well. And free roads are always nice.

As for the quest, study their weakness! Better gains!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's also worth noting that one of the high level Harmony units uses floatstone as well! The Rocktopus is an orbital alien tentacle monster growing on a chunk of floatstone that moves around in the orbital layer and drops rocks on people :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Purity's units are genetically enhanced supersoldiers, mega-hovertanks, battlemechs, and floating battleships.

Supremacy's units are terminators (Skynet style), walking artillery platforms, giant robots, and Reapers from Mass Effect 3.

Harmony's units are the ending from Avatar, power-armored soldiers with lances riding giant bugs, a homegrown floating tentacle monster, and kaijus.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Rocktopus is pretty unique too since it's the only orbital unit that can actually move.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neruz posted:

The Rocktopus is pretty unique too since it's the only orbital unit that can actually move.

Can it strangle other satellites to death?

Can... Can there be an orbital rocktopus battle if there are two Harmony factions? :pray:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Section Z posted:

Can... Can there be an orbital rocktopus battle if there are two Harmony factions? :pray:

Sadly, no. IIRC, rocktopi are strictly orbital bombardment units.

But I could be mistaken. Don't have the game installed at the moment and even when I go harmony I never bother with researching designer lifeforms.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Section Z posted:

Unfortunately no, they can only drop rocks on people below them.

I don't think there's any satellite that can attack other satellites, anti-orbital fire is only from cities and a few specific ground units.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Somebody went up in a rock(et)
And there they saw a rock
But it wasn't a rock
It Was a rock-topus

Aaaah
Rock-topus
Aaaah
Rock-topus

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Weakness, of course.

Also, they nerfed the hell out of battlesuits in the balance patch. Down to 24 strength from (IIRC) 40. That makes them the equal of the basic infantry at level 6 affinity.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Neruz posted:

Unfortunately no, they can only drop rocks on people below them.

I don't think there's any satellite that can attack other satellites, anti-orbital fire is only from cities and a few specific ground units.

Actually, the Rocktopus is a two-mode unit; it's a 1-movement levitating unit with a ranged attack AND Anti-Orbital Strike, and a special ability letting it launch to the orbital layer for orbital bombardment attacks, descending after 10 turns [earlier with an upgrade option].

So yes, a low-atmo Rocktopus can perform an antiorbital strike to down a high-atmo Rocktopus.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Actually, the Rocktopus is a two-mode unit; it's a 1-movement levitating unit with a ranged attack AND Anti-Orbital Strike, and a special ability letting it launch to the orbital layer for orbital bombardment attacks, descending after 10 turns [earlier with an upgrade option].

So yes, a low-atmo Rocktopus can perform an antiorbital strike to down a high-atmo Rocktopus.

Oh poo poo it has an anti-orbital strike in its land mode? I did not know that hell yes Rocktopus fights are go!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Chapter 11: Off and On Again

[Panopticon Activity Log Alpha000387]

Satellites: Online
Camera feeds: Online
Network Monitor: Online
Human agents: Online

Weirdly, some entries in the civpedia have this end-game history-like perspective, and some don't.

>>Ultrasonic fences operating at 220% capacity. Recommending design re-evaluation to Central.
Categories: “indigenous life forms”, “human policy decision”, “energy grid”

I might have put this to a vote, except that since we rely on trade, this is really the only option. The other choice would have extended the range of the fences to three hexes, which is meh.

>>!!!Alert!!! Un-contained alien life signs detected within borders... Cancel Alert. Unit code-name 'manticore' under guidance of Central military. Initiating classification procedures.
Categories: “indigenous life forms”, “great worm”, “top secret”
The Siege Worm we just killed left a skeleton, and we got another manticore by sending an explorer to it. Yay...

>>20% increase in number of official visitors to alien preserves. 90% are military or scientific personnel.
Categories: “indigenous life forms”, “SCIENCE”

>>Defense perimeter construction complete in capital. 25% decrease in threat level, 60% chance of escalation in Kavithan Protectorate crisis.
Categories: “Freeland”, “defense”, “KP”

>>Alliance with Pan-Asian Cooperative secured. 75% chance of escalation in Kavithan Protectorate crisis.
Categories: “defense”, “KP”, “PAC”

>>Defense perimeter operating at 163% capacity. Recommending design re-evaluation to Central.
Categories: “defense”, “energy grid”

Considering we are all about dat money, I took the free maintenance option. The other would have given our cities better defenses, but in general, if your cities are under attack, you're already hosed.

>>Encrypted intelligence reports from Central agents intercepted, combing data for keywords... Complete. Agent missions successful; agents were detected but not identified.
Categories: “intelligence”, “defense”, “energy grid”, “Culper Cell”

>>Beginning initial scans of 'Firaxite' mine and its personnel...
Categories: “null”, “isee”
!!!Error!!!

>>PX/

And the log just stops there.

What am I looking at here, my fine intern? It looks like gibberish.

No one is quite sure yet.

So we went through all the trouble of building this huge thing, only to have it crap out on us after a week?

Not necessarily. It's still running, just not printing logs anymore.

Let's reboot the drat thing. Turning it off and on again is tech support 101, right? Now that that's settled, hopefully I can make some headway on this refugee situation.

Excavating the derelict settlement that Omoikane left behind, and this was the result.

What's going on with that, by the way? I'm worried.

That information is going to become public soon anyway, so I have no qualms about telling you. There were indeed human experiments going on underneath the monastery. But they were little beyond what the Augmented had already done by the time they landed here. In fact, the knowledge the test subjects bring with them might well advance our understanding of augmentation significantly. The salvage team found a whole mess of surviving scientists and subjects in an underground bunker, and here we are.

So they were attacked just because of that? That's terrible!

Indeed it is. The original Augmented especially think so. War might be more terrible, but that decision may already be out of my hands. Go home to your family, my friend. You have the rest of the day off.

What about you?

I've got some calls to make.

Freeland's advances in genetics and computation, combined with the work (unethical, many contended) of the scientist-monks of Omoikane, produced a surge of advancement in the technology of man-machine interfaces.

Thanks to the remarkable, though not-entirely-understood, properties of Firaxite, the progress was so rapid that sweeping social change resulted.

You can also see the Panopticon tower northeast of Freeland.

The most visible change was in architecture. In addition to being a superconductor and energy supply, Firaxite also doubled as a light source. "Spent" crystals turned black and malleable, though still possessing incredible hardness, high tensile strength, and light weight. Contractors in Freeland began using spent Firaxite on construction projects.

Over less than a decade, a significant portion of the colony, including its leadership, came to embrace the philosophy of Omoikane. Called “Supremacists” by their detractors, they held that humanity's frailties were only a result of its lack of creativity and ambition in dealing with them.

Most of them adopted the label as their own. Taking a cue from the ancient Earth philosopher Plato, the early Supremacists believed in an abstract realm of ideal forms, especially the ideal forms of humanity, and they considered it their mission to use technology to bring reality closer to those ideals. There was, of course, much disagreement over exactly what those ideal forms looked like, and over what methods were acceptable in pursuit of their mission, but overall the philosophy was a unifying rather than divisive force in the colony, at least early on.

Thanks to the widespread use of cloning and genetic surgery, entirely new types of human beings were created, possessing a wide range of adaptations, including enhanced senses, superior reflexes, and greater cognitive capacity. Though this practice was only in its infancy, these clones were raised from birth to interface with advanced machines that shored up their shortcomings.

The first wave of such new people were known as “Disciples”, and they were instrumental in bringing the war against the Kavithan Protectorate to a swift conclusion. Though outnumbered by their allies in the Pan-Asian Cooperative, these advanced soldiers nevertheless did far more damage and secured more territory faster. Strangely, many enhanced soldiers reported getting direct feedback from the presumed-defunct Panopticon during battle, further increasing their impressive efficiency.

After taking Asraya and securing the narrow pass to the western part of the continent, most members of Polystralia's Central Planning committee, including Hutama, pushed for a peace settlement. In exchange for reparation payments to the survivors of the attack on Omoikane, they would cease their assault on the Protectorate.

Since Might/Adaptive Tactics got the most support, a war made sense. But because of our previous focus on Industry, a limited war for reparations, with the unspoken goal of securing a trade route, also made sense.

Though peace reigned, the conflict between the hawk and dove members of the Central Planning Committee soon spilled over to the rest of the population. On top of that, the difficulty with assimilating a city full of zealous adherents to a very different religion gave rise to widespread turmoil. Fear, dissent, and even the mostly banished specter of disease reared their heads, and sporadic riots broke out from Asraya to Neo New Zealand. Many blamed the rapid advancement of human augmentation for this turn of events, and the practice saw an ugly backlash.

As an influential public figure, Hutama worked constantly to stem this tide of unrest. He managed to hold onto his own power, but actual progress in solving Freeland's growing number of issues was slow.

What Virtue should we pick next? None of them will immediately solve the Unhealthiness problem, but all trees do have some health-boosting picks eventually, even Might. Here are the new ones we can get, since I took Adaptive Tactics last time:

And: Frugality (+10% Food retained after city growth), Foresight (+10% Science when Healthy), Liquidity (-20% cost to purchase units and buildings), Scalable Infrastructure (+15% Wonder production), Social Investment (+2 Production from Manufactories)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Liquidity, which will bring us one step closer to Civic Duty and Magnasanti.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

What gets us closer to Health boosting Virtues? I think we need to go for those ASAP so we can get out of the red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MJ12 posted:

What gets us closer to Health boosting Virtues? I think we need to go for those ASAP so we can get out of the red.
Definitely Liquidity (or Social Investment; they both lead to the same thing, but we currently have no Manufactories, and Manufactories decrease Health, so yeah). Either the one after it, or the one after that, gives a Health boost. After that, I think Prosperity has the soonest increase.

• Locked thread