Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

precision posted:

I've been accused of being an SJW for this show, and now apparently I'm also pro-bigotry.

Seriously though, Nomi's mother is a dummy and an awful person, but the word "evil" means something to me, something very specific and real, and I don't use that word lightly.
I don't think you're pro-bigotry, but her mother is compelling her to undergo a lobotomy because she doesn't accept her. That's substantially more than misguided or dumb. Does a person have to understand that what they're doing is wrong to be considered evil? Her notion of "love" is as warped as that of any abuser.

Honestly, I found the character to be cartoonishly evil. I didn't get the sense of any kind of humanity in her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
How is she "cartoonish" when there are plenty of people like her in real life?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Forgall posted:

How is she "cartoonish" when there are plenty of people like her in real life?
Plenty of cartoonish people in real life. I guess what I mean is "unsympathetic and unambiguously bad." I'm shocked anyone would give the character the benefit of any doubt whatsoever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

Does a person have to understand that what they're doing is wrong to be considered evil?

Actually, in my opinion, yes. That's the major defining aspect of what it means to be "evil". Hope that helps.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Does a person have to understand that what they're doing is wrong to be considered evil?

precision posted:

Actually, in my opinion, yes. That's the major defining aspect of what it means to be "evil". Hope that helps.

That's how I see it too. No one was defending Nomi's mom or saying she hasn't done anything wrong.

In other words, I don't think she's evil, just stupid.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DoctorX posted:

That's how I see it too. No one was defending Nomi's mom or saying she hasn't done anything wrong.

In other words, I don't think she's evil, just stupid.

The vibe I am getting from Nomi's mom is that she wilfully chooses to ignore Nomi and everything else she doesn't like. And since Mr. Nomi's Mom apparently makes some serious cash, they have the resources to let Nomi's Mom keeping existing in her bubble of conscious ignorance...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, I don't think Nomi's SRS could really be reversed.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I thought that the entire thing started out very slowly, and I only really ENGAGED during "What's goin on". But that's probably an age thing, but also it's the first time they really "get together".

I enjoyed the entire series as a whole, but felt that it was weak in some areas with some characters, and that basically the expectation of a season 2 was the main reason I kept watching after around #9.

As an aside, I DO think it's funny when you realize this group of 8 has so many skills - an actor, a hacker, a ninja, a cop, a streetwise German killer, a medical person, a street-wise African who can hotwire a car, and uhh, a DJ. But you know, not everyone can be perfect. :lol: My Sense8 would probably be a dude who works at Target, a crackhead, the most boring businessman in the world, a cat lady, a guy who fixes HVAC, a lesbian who cuts hair but does a crappy job, and a Nuclear Physicist who is so smart and so specialized, that none of his knowledge would ever come in handy. Hahahahaha.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

precision posted:

That kinda narrows the pool to edgy 14 year olds on /b/ and excludes some of the most monstrous crimes in human history.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DoctorX posted:

Well the whole thing kicked off because someone kind of did.

Kegslayer posted:

Finished the series and this show seems to have a lot of potential but the writing is so frustratingly uneven.

Take the two main LGBT characters for example.

Nomi is a loving train wreck. Netflix did an awesome job in casting a transwoman to play a transwoman but her character is terribly written.

During the first couple of episodes, I found myself sympathising with her mother because although the mother's views are abhorrent, she acts out of a place of love and she seems genuine in trying to save the life of her child who has a terminal brain condition. She isn't the only parent who would rather their child be in a vegetative state but alive than permanently dead.

Nomi on the other hand acts like a spoilt child in refusing her family's healthcare and then continues to spend about 90% of the season being victimized and feeling sorry for herself and the other 10% as a super genius hacker. She'd do great in a serious story about all the poo poo that transgender people have to deal with but it's hard to find her story engaging in a show where a Van drat bus roundhouse kicks a motorcycle.

Sure, he does say her views are abhorrent, but he's also saying that she's the more sympathetic and reasonable person in that scene and that Nomi is being childish. Which is kind of bullshit. Nomi's mother was being supremely willful and stubborn when she appeared, refusing to give any kind of comfort to her daughter to help her understand what's going on, while Nomi was mostly just scared and feeling threatened.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 11, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

That kinda narrows the pool to edgy 14 year olds on /b/ and excludes some of the most monstrous crimes in human history.

The horrible truth about humanity is that most of the more horrible things we've done have not been out of evil, but out of ignorance. Sorry if that's a downer, but it's how I see it.

e: for a silver lining, it's probably easier to educate people than make them not-evil

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
My cluster would be all goon, I suspect. So I could answer any question about anime, EVE, or bodypillows. :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Your skills with a katana would be unreal though

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

tsob posted:

Sure, he does say her views are abhorrent, but he's also saying that she's the more sympathetic and reasonable person in that scene and that Nomi is being childish. Which is kind of bullshit. Nomi's mother was being supremely willful and stubborn when she appeared, refusing to give any kind of comfort to her daughter to help her understand what's going on, while Nomi was mostly just scared and feeling threatened.

I definitely don't agree with the opinion you quoted. Sorry if it seemed like I did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DoctorX posted:

I definitely don't agree with the opinion you quoted. Sorry if it seemed like I did.

I don't believe anyone did agree with him regarding Nomi's mother, but it's what got the whole conversation started in the first place.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

precision posted:

I've been accused of being an SJW for this show, and now apparently I'm also pro-bigotry.
Is there a pro-bigotry badge? If so, I'd like it please.

Samizdata posted:

My cluster would be all goon, I suspect. So I could answer any question about anime, EVE, or bodypillows. :sigh:

The goon cluster: A crackhead, a let's player, an ADTRW fanatic, a furry, a person who swears by bitcoins, a person who builds a house that looks like it will topple at any moment, a person with a poor budget but always asks for money advice, and a person who is trying to sell lovely hotdogs.
It goes without saying that none of them wash and eat only cheetos and mountain dew which leads to a mass suicide due to smell.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Any cluster would most likely be half Chinese + Indian males doing factory work or something...

And the 'good' mother was much worse... the other mom was a fairly shallow character, but at least she wasn't annoying and her presence in those scenes served a purpose.

very minor spoiler, forgot what episode this flashback took place...
Could the trans girlfriend be the sister of van drat?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Piriwi posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and hope this is the case because I would cry like a baby.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I wouldn't put it past the Wachowskis to do that but do most of those babies even make it out the country? serious question

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Sorry I tuned the gently caress out when you sympathized with Nomi's mother who refuses to properly gender and name her own child. That behaviour is what contributes to tons of suicides of trans people around the US every year, she's one of the least sympathetic characters in the whole show.

Then you've missed the whole point of her character.

The other posters have probably explained it better but Nomi's mom does love her child, she just doesn't understand and completely refuses to accept what her child is going through. She makes it clear that she thinks 'Michael' is this way because of the bad company that he keeps and is mentally sick in the same way that say a drug addict is and I think anyone can sympathize with that.

You can't really say she doesn't love her child when Nomi gets sick and she drops everything to come find her even offering her health insurance to cover the expensive treatment payments.

The show also makes it really clear that the mother's views are completely wrong and that people who identify as LGBT aren't mentally ill in anyway.

tsob posted:

Nomi was there not because she was transgender but because there was a real problem with her health. She was seeing visions and the doctor had diagnosed her with something terminal.

I found Nomi's mother relatable in the sense that if you thought your loved one was mentally ill for years and was suddenly about to die then yeah, you can see why her mother acted and did what she did. You aren't suppose to agree with her but you can understand her and all the real life people that think being transgender is a mental illness.

The show makes it clear that her views are wrong and what Nomi needed was for her mother to be a gentle and non judgmental source of support.

That doesn't change the fact that Nomi's mother is a much better written three dimensional character than Nomi herself in the first couple of episodes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

That doesn't change the fact that Nomi's mother is a much better written three dimensional character than Nomi herself in the first couple of episodes.

I could almost see where you were coming from, until this line where you lost me completely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can we mention how loving amazing Lito's birthscene was? I really wanna know what they were watching but seriously getting born during the middle of a dramatic act on a telenovella while the whole family laughs and cheers is loving amazing.

Everyone complaining about Nomi's struggle being cliche, but no one has said anything about all the other cliche's in the series. Like every single person is living out a stereotype and the others are able to help them out of that situation.

Wolfgang - Berlin Gangster / Russian?
Caphias - Everybody got aids
Sun - Women not respected
Nomi- Transgender issues
Lito - Closeted gay actor in a oppressive society
Icelandic Manic Pixie goth girl with troubled past
Will - a cop with one unsolved case that troubles him, Dad on the force.

Every single person's story is about cliche's and it's about overcoming these Commonproblems within their society with the help of their family.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Can we mention how loving amazing Lito's birthscene was? I really wanna know what they were watching but seriously getting born during the middle of a dramatic act on a telenovella while the whole family laughs and cheers is loving amazing.

As a Spaniard, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that. That would never happen in real life.

My favorite stereotypical scene was the one with Bollywood dancing.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Nomi is the worst character because her entire role for the majority of the series is to play the bullied victim. She has no agency and exists only to highlight how poo poo transgender people have it so that she can be saved by other people.

Contrast that with well written LGBT characters like Lito or Hernando and you'll see how completely one dimensional she is.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, except for the part where she and Amanita actively plan and oversee the rescue op in the finale. "Team mastermind" isn't a half-bad niche for an LGBT character.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, except for the part where she and Amanita actively plan and oversee the rescue op in the finale. "Team mastermind" isn't a half-bad niche for an LGBT character.

This happens only in the last two episodes and completely out of the blue and out of character for her. Nomi spends the previous ten episodes getting poo poo on and needing someone to bail her out every single time.

It wouldn't have been that hard to write a scene with her early on like helping Will crack a police database to find out where Jonas was being kept her or jumping into Lito's body to hack Joaquin/Daniela's phone to find out where they were.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kegslayer posted:

This happens only in the last two episodes and completely out of the blue and out of character for her. Nomi spends the previous ten episodes getting poo poo on and needing someone to bail her out every single time.

It wouldn't have been that hard to write a scene with her early on like helping Will crack a police database to find out where Jonas was being kept her or jumping into Lito's body to hack Joaquin/Daniela's phone to find out where they were.

Uh, isn't the first thing she does after breaking out of the hospital in like episode 5 or so, track the doctor down and jack his phone and trace all his poo poo to start to piece together the poo poo behind it all? That's hardly sittin' around on her rear end, waiting to be saved. They could have maybe done more with her in general, but she's not the completely passive nothing you seem to think she is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kegslayer posted:

Nomi was there not because she was transgender but because there was a real problem with her health. She was seeing visions and the doctor had diagnosed her with something terminal.

I found Nomi's mother relatable in the sense that if you thought your loved one was mentally ill for years and was suddenly about to die then yeah, you can see why her mother acted and did what she did. You aren't suppose to agree with her but you can understand her and all the real life people that think being transgender is a mental illness.

The show makes it clear that her views are wrong and what Nomi needed was for her mother to be a gentle and non judgmental source of support.

Can you try to rationalize how Nomi is being childish by being scared and seeking comfort and respect when she wakes up in a hospital following an accident and the mother who has traumatized her in the past refuses to allow her any dignity or comfort too out of interest? Your entire argument appears to be that Nomi is too cliche and either has it too perfect or too terrible. Or too terribly perfect. You think she's a Mary Sue essentially? I'd take umbrage with the first at least just based on the fact that I can't recall seeing any other transgender characters in television full stop, so her being a cliche seems impossible viewed under that light. Maybe a cliche as a victim of bigotry in general instead of transgender bigotry specifically, but even then she's not nearly the victim you paint her since once she's out of the hospital she tries to take control of the situation pretty much immediately, even if not always with success. She's in the hospital maybe two episodes? Three? She spends far more out than in regardless.

It's not like she's alone in that either. Kala, Capheus and Sun are all pretty much the same too, in that they're always good and right and just the victim of lovely circumstances beyond their control. The characters in the show are quite simplistic morally, you're just focusing in on her for some reason.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

This is nonsense. You complain that she's a victim, but when it's pointed out that she stops being one and figures out how to fight back, you complain that it's out of character. Ridiculous.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
My original point was that this is a good show but the writing is really uneven and then I gave an example. When it comes to the LGBT characters, Lito and Hernando are written well but Nomi is not.

xeria posted:

Uh, isn't the first thing she does after breaking out of the hospital in like episode 5 or so, track the doctor down and jack his phone and trace all his poo poo to start to piece together the poo poo behind it all? That's hardly sittin' around on her rear end, waiting to be saved. They could have maybe done more with her in general, but she's not the completely passive nothing you seem to think she is.

And then she gets in over her head and needs to be saved by Dr Mathias when Whispers comes.

When she's stuck in the hospital? Her girlfriend and Will come to save her.

When she's running away from the cops?
The sensate band together in an awesome scene to save her.

When she returns home desolute?
Her girlfriend comes back to cheer her up and her old friend drops by just at the right time with everything she needs.

Do you see my point?

tsob posted:

Can you try to rationalize how Nomi is being childish by being scared and seeking comfort and respect when she wakes up in a hospital following an accident and the mother who has traumatized her in the past refuses to allow her any dignity or comfort too out of interest? Your entire argument appears to be that Nomi is too cliche and either has it too perfect or too terrible. Or too terribly perfect. You think she's a Mary Sue essentially? I'd take umbrage with the first at least just based on the fact that I can't recall seeing any other transgender characters in television full stop, so her being a cliche seems impossible viewed under that light. Maybe a cliche as a victim of bigotry in general instead of transgender bigotry specifically, but even then she's not nearly the victim you paint her since once she's out of the hospital she tries to take control of the situation pretty much immediately, even if not always with success. She's in the hospital maybe two episodes? Three? She spends far more out than in regardless.

It's not like she's alone in that either. Kala, Capheus and Sun are all pretty much the same too, in that they're always good and right and just the victim of lovely circumstances beyond their control. The characters in the show are quite simplistic morally, you're just focusing in on her for some reason.

My argument is that Nomi is a badly written one dimensional character in the majority of the series. Her role is to play the damsel in distress, have bad things happen to her and then be saved by someone else. I'm sorry but its just lovely writing and my original point was that even her mother, who's only in like two scenes, is better written than her.

We're only talking about Nomi because some other poster jumped on my pile of :words: but she isn't the only badly written character.

Kala, is another example but Capheus and Sun are not.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Piriwi posted:

Any cluster would most likely be half Chinese + Indian males doing factory work or something...

And the 'good' mother was much worse... the other mom was a fairly shallow character, but at least she wasn't annoying and her presence in those scenes served a purpose.

That's impossible. Members of clusters are all born at the same time

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Postal Parcel posted:

That's impossible. Members of clusters are all born at the same time

How does that make the theory impossible?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

qbert posted:

Twin's don't actually come out of a vagina at the same time, one comes out first then the next one. They're not technically "born" at the same time

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cool tip, to keep your theories in order: there's no reason Amanita has to have been born at or near the same time as anyone in the cluster.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Twin's don't actually come out of a vagina at the same time, one comes out first then the next one. They're not technically "born" at the same time

Nomi's girlfriend is not a Sens8, and also Van drat is a few years older than his sister. So...what is this twin talk?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Cool tip, to keep your theories in order: there's no reason Amanita has to have been born at or near the same time as anyone in the cluster.
Apparently so, at least if Will and Riley also applies outwards (and it probably does). If not at the exact moment, then very soon after within maybe 24 hours or so. :shrug:

The actual issue wouldn't be that, it's just a matter of Amanita not being awakened alongside her cluster if they made her Capheus' long lost sister. She would just simply belong to a different cluster.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sober posted:

Amanita not being awakened alongside her cluster

See I think this may be your problem.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Where did this assumption come from that the siblings of Sens8 are also Sens8? Sun has a brother who is not Sens8. Nomi has a sister who is not Sens8. There's no evidence it's a hereditary thing.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

qbert posted:

Oh crap, I misread that as "Is Nomi the sister of Capheus" instead of "Is Nomi's girlfriend the sister of Capheus"
:sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I just binged watched this whole series in like 2-3 days and I'm hooked. Definitely love the concept and the characters. Lito is hilarious, Sun and Van Damm are badass. I didn't care too much for Riley though. Hopefully next season they flesh out the Whispers a bit more and go into detail more about Clusters and how they are born or whatever

I loved the last episode where each sense8 pitched in to rescue pixie goth daenerys

Also that transcontinental mind orgy was hot

It would have been hilarious if one of the Sense8s were a bigoted southern baptist who kept accidentally popping in on the gay couples.

LazyDivey fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 12, 2015

• Locked thread