Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If someone doesn't post a list, can we make them watch anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
1) Kaichou wa Maid-sama
2) Hourou Musuko
3) Noein (6 episodes in)
4) Turn-A Gundam
5) The Idolm@ster

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fangz posted:

Go for FLCL, I think.

...what the gently caress did I just watch?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

yeah, that's fair

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Quark posted:

Only if they state which, if any, anime streaming services they're subscribed to and let fun be inflicted had :rolldice:.

Now then;

• Boogiepop Phantom
  • Deadman Wonderland
  • Mekakucity Actors (eight episodes in of :wtc:)
  • Nanana's Buried Treasure.
  • Paranoia Agent (started, got distracted by other shows and things)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

You need to tell Phobophilia what to watch.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We've hosed up the chain again!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oy vey

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Episode 3 of Gatchaman: Not really any action, but things seem to be starting to go places now. Rui-Rui is very cute.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have watched 4 episodes of Chaika.

There's not a whole lot for me to say at this point, but it has been fun. Kinda feels like a jrpg (perhaps one that would be a cousin to the Tales of- games), and I mean that in a good way. It's kinda charming in that regard.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

I have watched 4 episodes of Chaika.

There's not a whole lot for me to say at this point, but it has been fun. Kinda feels like a jrpg (perhaps one that would be a cousin to the Tales of- games), and I mean that in a good way. It's kinda charming in that regard.

I've seen some really good gifs of that so I might check it out with this endorsement.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I watched FLCL. I don't even have a response to that, other than that I really really enjoyed the animation in both style and quality. It's a shame we don't get more with that kind of production value nowadays.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

You need to tell Phobophilia what to watch.

Dammit. Go watch Noein.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm four episodes in on Shirobako, and it's pretty good so far. Doing 2 episodes a day right now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I still haven't watched my movie, and won't for a few more weeks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fangz posted:

Finished Symphogear! Quite a ride.

Go for FLCL, I think.

New list...
1. Giant Robo
2. Wandering Son
3. Tatami Galaxy
4. Serei no Moribito
5. Michiko & Hatchin

Dang, I was going to watch Giant Robo, but I realised I didn't bring it with me. I need something that can be streamed.

Let's see
1. Non non biyori
2. Wandering Son
3. Bodacious Space Pirates
4. Moyashimon
5. Nagi no Asukara

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only if they state which, if any, anime streaming services they're subscribed to and let fun be inflicted had :rolldice:.

Now then;

• Boogiepop Phantom
  • Deadman Wonderland

Paranoia Agent

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 7, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fangz posted:

Dang, I was going to watch Giant Robo, but I realised I didn't bring it with me. I need something that can be streamed.

Let's see
1. Non non biyori
2. Wandering Son
3. Bodacious Space Pirates
4. Moyashimon
5. Nagi no Asukara

Paranoia Agent

Hey wait hold on just a cotton-picking minute here! Dogsicle told you to watch Giant Robo, if you can't watch Giant Robo because of unforeseen logistical problems, Dogsicle gets to pick a different anime for you to watch. You can't just say "lol nevermind", and get two goes at ordering people to watch animes while only posting one list!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Hey wait hold on just a cotton-picking minute here! Dogsicle told you to watch Giant Robo, if you can't watch Giant Robo because of unforeseen logistical problems, Dogsicle gets to pick a different anime for you to watch. You can't just say "lol nevermind", and get two goes at ordering people to watch animes while only posting one list!

I will still watch Giant Robo when I get home. :P Enh, I don't know how this is supposed to work.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

If only there was an explanation at the beginning of the thread or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Parallax posted:

If only there was an explanation at the beginning of the thread or something.

Which doesn't explain what happens if you can't watch what was selected, unless you mean the implication is to not watch until you can.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fangz posted:

Which doesn't explain what happens if you can't watch what was selected, unless you mean the implication is to not watch until you can.

OK, the rule is now that if you can't watch what was selected for you in a reasonable time frame, you get the person who selected for you to choose something new.

Thus the chain is unbroken

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

OK, the rule is now that if you can't watch what was selected for you in a reasonable time frame, you get the person who selected for you to choose something new.

Thus the chain is unbroken

Well, then I hope dogsticles reappears promptly.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Watch Moyashimon

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chaika has been quite fun, managed to go well past the 5 episodes for the thread and I only have 3 episodes of the first season left.

The various vignettes have been solid, and I'm glad that no matter how the overarching story goes, the road to the end has been good.

I struggle to say much about this show, but hopefully I can muster some words after finishing the first season.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

Chaika has been quite fun, managed to go well past the 5 episodes for the thread and I only have 3 episodes of the first season left.

The various vignettes have been solid, and I'm glad that no matter how the overarching story goes, the road to the end has been good.

I struggle to say much about this show, but hopefully I can muster some words after finishing the first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iHFGxZblOo

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I finished watching And Yet the Town Moves. I didn't like episodes 6-12 as a whole as much as I liked episodes 1-5, sadly. This may just be a result of watching a plotless comedy too fast; I don't know. There were a couple of specific things I disliked though:
  • Episodes 9 and 10 were pretty dull. I'll probably just skip them if I ever rewatch the show.
  • Tatsuno remained boring for the whole series. (Other characters basically make up for her though.)
  • The few second cutaways to Josephine got really grating after a while. I imagine this isn't so bad if you watch the series more slowly.
On the other hand, it did manage to be funny quite often, and pretty cute occasionally.

Overall I liked it but I didn't really think it was great. I might try reading some of the manga since it's on Crunchyroll.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally found the time to get started on Lain. I don't know if it's the fact that it's been 12 years since I first watched it or the fact that it's my third time trying, but this time the first episode made complete sense, so maybe I won't bounce off it as hard as the last two times.

Let's see how wrong I can be!

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Higurashi, ep. 1

That was tough to get through, but I'm fairly engrossed with the ending. The animation is really really really really really bad so far, but I'm wondering if that's supposed to be a stylistic choice, since whenever characters begin to act serious it changes. Outlook: positive.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no, the animation is just Deen. Rip

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, the original designs by Ryukishi07 weren't great either, so it sort of works.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know what you mean

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, rip.

Episode 2: Things are definitely shaping up! Rena is creepy as all hell! I look forward to either MC's mom or dad having a little accident soon.
Also that cop probably shouldn't talk about serial killings at the top of his lungs in the local gambling hall.
At this rate the Colonel's never getting rescued.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Gurren Lagann episodes 3, 4 and 5.

Episode 3 bored me a bit, although I do think that the mecha combining via drilling is a great idea, and nice detail there with Kamina having to dodge his head out of the way lest he meet with a terminal drill accident. Episode 4 was my favourite one yet, with lots of silly comedy. Episode 5 wasn't as good as 4 but wasn't bad either. I've seen episodic plots like this one plenty of times before, so it wasn't fresh in and of itself, but was still well executed. I feel as if Kamina is having to carry the show a lot, via being noisy and pushy in ways that the rest of the cast isn't.

The verdict: yep, I expect I'll continue to watch this series. As long as it still doesn't have a strong central plot, I won't be hurrying to get through it quickly, but it seems a fun series to watch a bit of now and then. If it ends up with a stronger plot I'll probably sit down and watch a lot of it at once.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The plot should be picking up pretty soon iirc.

Also there'll be a specific point where you'll probably get really mad and want to stop watching.
Don't do that.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Glad to hear it!

And yes, I'll take care not to drop the series at that point. I've heard a couple of out of context spoilers in passing over the years, so I could be guessing wrong, but I think I know what it is.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Higurashi episodes 3, 4, and 5

Wow, this conclusion is so intense! I wonder if it's going to shift to the officer's viewpoint? It'd be kind of weird since the two most visible antagonists are dead, but hey it could wor-wait, what?
Well this got weird.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Got around to finishing through episode 5 of Lain. It still doesn't really do anything for me, though I will say that it did pick up significantly starting with the third episode. It kind of reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (which i also didn't like) in that there were a lot of things thrown at the viewer and a lot of kind of weird things going on, but when all's said and done there's just nothing of substance to hold the whole experience together into a kind of cohesive narrative, and it seemed to equate being confusing and weird with being good.

I might watch the rest at some point, because there's a part of me that really wants to like it (which is why I've tried to watch it so many times already), but that won't be for a long while at the least. Maybe I'll like it better then.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now then;

• Boogiepop Phantom
  • Deadman Wonderland

I think this is the next list to choose for?
Assuming so, Paranoia Agent is a good show.

1. Toradora!
2. Fate/Zero
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Shirobako

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I think this is the next list to choose for?
Assuming so, Paranoia Agent is a good show.

1. Toradora!
2. Fate/Zero
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Shirobako

Fate/Zero

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Stein's Gate
3. Baccano!
4. FLCL
5. Shokugeki no Souma

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

FLCL!!

So, I think I'm about 9 episodes into RahXephon and... it just seems fine? I'm not hating it, but it just seems so... there. Maybe it goes to some interesting places, but so far it just seems like a decent post-EVA mech show. I'll probably keep going, anyway. The music is real dope, though.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Bodacious Space Pirates
3. Love Lab
4. The World God Only Knows
5. GIRLS und PANZER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Parallax posted:

FLCL!!

So, I think I'm about 9 episodes into RahXephon and... it just seems fine? I'm not hating it, but it just seems so... there. Maybe it goes to some interesting places, but so far it just seems like a decent post-EVA mech show. I'll probably keep going, anyway. The music is real dope, though.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Bodacious Space Pirates
3. Love Lab
4. The World God Only Knows
5. GIRLS und PANZER

Have fun with Lain!

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Space Dandy
3. Kill la Kill
4. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
5. LOGH

• Locked thread