Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mortanis posted:

That's a problem with most any Superman thing. On JLU Superman was constantly away dealing with other problems when the episode focused on the B-Team. Otherwise he makes most any other hero obsolete instantly. It's annoying, but it's par for the course on any DC medium.
I can deal with that though, 'cuz there's an underlying sense of like, okay, if someone's gonna call themselves a superhero serving in the Justice League, then yeah at bare minimum they should be relied upon to take care of these kinds of problems instead of having to ask Big Daddy for help all the time. Or else why are they even there? Similarly, CW Arrow and Flash help each other a bunch, but there's an understanding that many of their problems are their own separate problems that they have to deal with themselves without dragging others into it.

That's different from Supergirl's Astra situation, though. Not even considering that she's a ruthless Kryptonian general, Astra's a surviving Kryptonian, period, which makes her as much Superman's concern as Kara's. There's gotta be a darn good reason why Kara isn't flying off to Metropolis right this second to warn him about this. Heck, she knows that he's Clark Kent, so just send him a text if she's too lazy make that trip.

Sir Kodiak posted:

In addition to this being a ridiculous take on the movie, how about we just loving not make this thread about Man of Steel.
Pfft, well you know I disagree with the first part already. As for the latter, what better place to bring up that film than in a Supergirl thread? Where else is it gonna be more relevant? :v:

...Not that this heretofore-unseen CBS Superman needs much help coming across like a douche anyway, given what little we know of him so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Some other people seemed to be saying things where it sounded like they think that.

Also I think Astra would be Superman's uncle's sister-in-law, he probably wouldn't even see her at El family reunions.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The showrunners have promised an actual, narrative explanation for why Superman exists yet will presumably never appear on the show. Let's hope they deliver, because otherwise it'll get harder and harder to swallow.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
What is wrong with just referring to him as her cousin? It's her only cousin. We all know who he is and know his name. Everyone in the show who needs to know knows. So why would they have to use his name all the time? If you only have one cousin/brother/sister/whatever would you always refer to them with their name? No, you wouldn't. So stop bloody whinging about it.

Also: the show is called Supergirl. It's about Supergirl. Not her cousin (you know, that certain someone), so there's really no reason why they should drop his name all the time.

Anyway, show is well done, good effects and fun.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

There's gotta be a darn good reason why Kara isn't flying off to Metropolis right this second to warn him about this. Heck, she knows that he's Clark Kent, so just send him a text if she's too lazy make that trip.

Kara is a strong independent woman who don't need no superman

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah and why don't all the Avengers turn up to help the Agents of Shield guys with their problem of the week?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Barry Convex posted:

The showrunners have promised an actual, narrative explanation for why Superman exists yet will presumably never appear on the show. Let's hope they deliver, because otherwise it'll get harder and harder to swallow.

Would be totally fine with this explanation:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ville Valo posted:

Would be totally fine with this explanation:

Well that's not it, because that would make world news headlines constantly. Here' they're playing news reports of Kara rescuing snakes from trees.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was down on this show, but if they are using Perd Hapely as one of the core news anchors then I am willing to give it a shot.

People also giving her poo poo because "Come on, Superman would've taken care of this by now" makes it way more entertaining in the vein of she's literally unprepared and untrained and the world is used to Superman being a problem solver.

Barry Convex posted:

Uh, in the comics why do any other heroes even bother trying, Superman could just zoom in and solve it in seconds.

The entire core problem with comic superheros is "Why the gently caress does XYZ happen when they could just end it" because that makes a boring story, but most people can accept that as a narrative requirement and just enjoy the stories for what they are.

I mean comic book shows have some major issues, but if people are seriously going to rage that Superman is a known quantity but not showing up all the time in this show then literally nothing would ever appease them.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 4, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Well that's not it, because that would make world news headlines constantly. Here' they're playing news reports of Kara rescuing snakes from trees.

Well, Kara just found out about her aunt's involvement. Say she decided it was time to tell Superman about it, suddenly everyone turns to the office TV.

SUPERMAN DEAD

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Caryna posted:

What is wrong with just referring to him as her cousin? It's her only cousin. We all know who he is and know his name. Everyone in the show who needs to know knows. So why would they have to use his name all the time? If you only have one cousin/brother/sister/whatever would you always refer to them with their name? No, you wouldn't. So stop bloody whinging about it.

You would if that persons cousin was the most famous person in the world.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The characters avoid using the name "Superman" because they're all struggling to live in his shadow. A central piece of the show is how Kara still doesn't match up to him, even with all her powers. This is the most directly visualized in our brief glimpse of him, which associates him with the power of the sun, while, in a POV shot, eclipsing it for Kara. That's also why they'll avoid calling him in: they'll want to prove to themselves that they can still make a difference in a world in which he exists.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The discrepancy is not that Superman doesn't show up all the time. Who cares if he doesn't help Kara beat Random Bad Guy #72 of whichever week we're on? The issue is that Astra is specifically from Kal-El's own homeworld and is the exact sort of problem that he, specifically, should and would be invested in. If she was General Zod instead of General Astra, would anyone really be like "Nah, it totally makes sense that Superman's not involved"? And if Kara's rationale is that she doesn't want to get Superman involved because she's gotta prove herself, well, that's kinda dumb too considering she just literally this week explained to Jimmy that she doesn't want to be the type of hero who doesn't ask for help from others.

It's not gonna break the show or whatever, I just really hope they don't just pretend these issues don't exist because they do start to affect show quality at some point. Last season of Arrow was filled with plot-holes and why-didn't-they-justs and this-makes-no-senses and that-shouldn't-have-workeds. This season of Flash -- despite just having had a pretty good episode -- is rife with logic problems that we're expected to simply ignore, and it's been dragging the show down.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

And if Kara's rationale is that she doesn't want to get Superman involved because she's gotta prove herself, well, that's kinda dumb too considering she just literally this week explained to Jimmy that she doesn't want to be the type of hero who doesn't ask for help from others.

You're conflating her not wanting to be how they're characterizing Superman, as someone who goes it alone, and her being invested in not asking one particular person for help because she wants to define herself as her own person separate from him. These aren't directly opposed, but that they have some degree of conflict is part of her characterization and is totally normal psychologically.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Just pretend Superman is off dealing with some other world ending threat. This sort of conversation is like when people say "Why doesn't Cap call in the other Avengers to help with this?" that gets old quick. I've always though it would be cool, for example, if Cap or somebody were to try contacting Tony Stark but not be able to reach him then in the next big Iron Man movie have Stark receive that call at the worst possible moment. Just to sort of give people that care about these things an easier way to hand wave it away.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm trying to think of another show that isn't filled with logic problems and holes and "why didn't they just X" and I'm drawing a blank. Every tv show and movie is rife with it. Some less than others, but what show doesn't?

I could see them running Superman dying in the background to ramp things up for Kara. Supes dies in s2 or 3, which requires Kara to step up to a global scale after she's conquered life on the local scale.

Even have a Henshaw waiting in the wings for Superman to kick the bucket.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Superman's not going to die in this TV show while his movie counterpart is involved in a billions of dollars campaign. :rolleyes:

Timett posted:

Just pretend Superman is off dealing with some other world ending threat. This sort of conversation is like when people say "Why doesn't Cap call in the other Avengers to help with this?" that gets old quick. I've always though it would be cool, for example, if Cap or somebody were to try contacting Tony Stark but not be able to reach him then in the next big Iron Man movie have Stark receive that call at the worst possible moment. Just to sort of give people that care about these things an easier way to hand wave it away.

I think some of the problem is that Superman's so closely related to the issues coming up. Like, imagine if Tony Stark wasn't calling Cap while Tony was out hunting Bucky Barnes. Or if Peggy Carter came back to life and nobody told Cap.

But escalated times six billion (plus a planet).

Like, "Oh, hey, Kal, we've run into some Kryptonians again who are bent on dominating the world."

No, let's by all means not do that. The person who thinks there are only two of him in the universe now.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 4, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mortanis posted:

I'm trying to think of another show that isn't filled with logic problems and holes and "why didn't they just X" and I'm drawing a blank. Every tv show and movie is rife with it. Some less than others, but what show doesn't?
It's a matter of degrees. Some plot holes are small, some are big, some don't really break immersion, others do. We can't just say, oh, well, every show has plot holes, therefore every plot hole is okay. There's a difference between "Barry can pour coffee really fast somehow, don't think about it too much," and "Barry just murdered two people with no consequence whatsoever, don't think about it too much."

And I think we're overstating the amount of world-breaking plot-holes in the realm of TV and film. I know there are some doozies out there, but there are just as many very tightly-plotted TV shows that come across very intelligible, that do a great job with worldbuilding, very rarely forcing the viewer to have to "turn off their brain" in order to process the plot.

I swear, "It's just a comic book show, don't think about it too much" is like the worst phrase in a pretty long list of bad phrases that nerds have come up with and latched onto. What about a comic book show like Daredevil, which has no plot-holes of this sort? Honestly, the more fantastical your universe is, the more important it is for your plot-lines and characterizations to be comprehensible instead of slapdash...otherwise, you're just making a cartoon. Heck, I take that back; most cartoons have pretty comprehensible plot-lines and characterizations nowadays.

edit: And it's not even as if Supergirl is doing that badly with this in the...two episodes...that have aired. It's merely this one issue that's an issue.

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Superman's not going to die in this TV show while his movie counterpart is involved in a billions of dollars campaign. :rolleyes:
Man of Steel isn't connected to this Supergirl show. They take place in different continuities, like MoS and Superman Returns are in different continuities. Superman could well die at some point in this show.

Otherwise, agreed.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 4, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pentyne posted:

The entire core problem with comic superheros is "Why the gently caress does XYZ happen when they could just end it" because that makes a boring story, but most people can accept that as a narrative requirement and just enjoy the stories for what they are.

I mean comic book shows have some major issues, but if people are seriously going to rage that Superman is a known quantity but not showing up all the time in this show then literally nothing would ever appease them.

The first time I realized there were people who took nerd stuff way to seriously was a guy complaining to the guy at the comic store that Spider-Man wasn't helping fight Godzilla in the 90s Godzilla movie. Like seriously dude? Anytime I heard someone complain that Hero X isn't helping out in situation Y I think of that guy.

If they start adding other heroes besides Red Tornado, I hope its the ones that wouldn't make sense in Arrow/Flash. Could totally have Martian Manhunter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think I'd enjoy this show more if I gave half a poo poo about the supporting cast. David Harewood and Calista Flockheart are fun, but the younger generation could drop out of this show overnight and I'd not care. Particularly the sister, who's a theoretically interesting character, but has all her interesting qualities ironed out. Plus, I'm not fond of the performance behind the material, which plays the material in the flattest, most obvious way possible. (Compare with Flockheart, who's clearly overacting, but making a meal out of every moment given to an otherwise poor character).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think I'd enjoy this show more if I gave half a poo poo about the supporting cast. David Harewood and Calista Flockheart are fun, but the younger generation could drop out of this show overnight and I'd not care. Particularly the sister, who's a theoretically interesting character, but has all her interesting qualities ironed out. Plus, I'm not fond of the performance behind the material, which plays the material in the flattest, most obvious way possible. (Compare with Flockheart, who's clearly overacting, but making a meal out of every moment given to an otherwise poor character).

Hot drat, I haven't seen Homeland since season 2 but gently caress yeah it's the CIA boss guy!. I KNEW he seemed familiar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Drifter posted:

Hot drat, I haven't seen Homeland since season 2 but gently caress yeah it's the CIA boss guy!. I KNEW he seemed familiar.
He was also in Selfie.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Drifter posted:

I think some of the problem is that Superman's so closely related to the issues coming up. Like, imagine if Tony Stark wasn't calling Cap while Tony was out hunting Bucky Barnes. Or if Peggy Carter came back to life and nobody told Cap.

But escalated times six billion (plus a planet).

Like, "Oh, hey, Kal, we've run into some Kryptonians again who are bent on dominating the world."

No, let's by all means not do that. The person who thinks there are only two of him in the universe now.

Yeah, this my issue with it too. If they had pitched the bad guy as anyone other than a kryptonian I wouldn't have an issue with Kent not showing up (and they double downed on the problem by having the enemy be a member of their family).

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I think licensing the name 'Supergirl' was all they were willing to spend on a pilot, but now that it's gone to series they sprung for the name rights to 'Superman'.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

jfood posted:

I think licensing the name 'Supergirl' was all they were willing to spend on a pilot, but now that it's gone to series they sprung for the name rights to 'Superman'.

Pretty sure they called him Superman in the pilot once. It was probably simply a somewhat misguided script decision to show here distance from him, to make his presence less overshadowing, to make sure it is a Supergirl-show and not a Superman-show or something or other.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Decius posted:

Pretty sure they called him Superman in the pilot once. It was probably simply a somewhat misguided script decision to show here distance from him, to make his presence less overshadowing, to make sure it is a Supergirl-show and not a Superman-show or something or other.

Yeah, what they didn't realize was that referring to him by weird off brand nicknames actually made his presence MORE overshadowing. Glad they got over that in the second episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Timett posted:

I see another possibility: the DEO can contact Supes, but only if they really need him. Which they would rather not admit.

Thought that was a very good episode; everything's moving along at a good pace. Enjoyed Kara's learning curve and her actually embracing the team concept is a different take on the usual superhero status of keeping everyone close to them in the dark "to protect them from my enemies". .

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

twistedmentat posted:

The first time I realized there were people who took nerd stuff way to seriously was a guy complaining to the guy at the comic store that Spider-Man wasn't helping fight Godzilla in the 90s Godzilla movie. Like seriously dude? Anytime I heard someone complain that Hero X isn't helping out in situation Y I think of that guy.

I want to highlight this because what? How do you even? Why do you think? What?:psyduck:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In lord of the Rings Doc Brown should have shown up and taken the ring in the Delorean and used the time machine to go to the Past, go to mordor when it is safe, and drop the ring in the volcano.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Test Pattern posted:

I want to highlight this because what? How do you even? Why do you think? What?:psyduck:
Marvel did in fact publish a brief run of Gozilla comics in the late 70s. It featured Godzilla fighting many Marvel characters, including Spider-Man.

(e: Technically a knock-off giant lizard also appeared in a few later comics after Marvel's deal with Toho expired.)

Why this would have any connection to a film made in the 90s by a completely different company, I don't know.

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 4, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I mean, isn't Fin Fang Foom pretty close to Godzilla?

He was like 90% Godzilla, and 10% Incredible Hulk (because of the purple pants).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Drifter posted:

I mean, isn't Fin Fang Foom pretty close to Godzilla?

He was like 90% Godzilla, and 10% Incredible Hulk (because of the purple pants).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Well, FING FANG FOOM! is more of a humanoid Chinesealien dragon than a weird iguana/t-rex hybrid that shuffles around like a man in a heavy rubber suit, so... I dunno?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Okay, this episode was a lot better than the pilot, I am down for a half-season or so to see where this goes.

The fight scenes are definitely showing some promise. Other than the weird floating punches bit (which had to be a bitch to get even looking that good) the rest of the physical stuff felt sufficiently 'super'. I really like that they're cribbing the super-speed punches from Man of Steel, it feels like a very Superman-type use of speed.

All the complaints about them not calling in Superman over Astra, you do realize that nobody knew she was around until about 10 minutes before the end of the episode? I mean Supes probably isn't going to make an appearance in the show anyway, but it's not as if there's been time to contact him either.

Couple questions: Is that alien science dude that was examining the kryptonite knife an established character? And what's up with DEO Dude's glowing red eyes?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Melissa Benoist's shoulders in that suit. :swoon:

Lady looks jacked.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Phylodox posted:

Melissa Benoist's shoulders in that suit. :swoon:

Lady looks jacked.

Even in her first scene in her day job clothes, my first thought was "this is a girl who deadlifts".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Supergirl's sister is such a boring character. Sigh.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Even in her first scene in her day job clothes, my first thought was "this is a girl who deadlifts".

Her arms are pretty great, but either the suit has some subtle padding or it compresses her arms in a way that makes her shoulders stand out more because :eyepop:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Test Pattern posted:

That was my reaction too. Like seriously dude, they're not real, and owned by different companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

That was my reaction too. Like seriously dude, they're not real, and owned by different companies.

In his defense, a world where Spiderman can conceivably show up and fight Godzilla sounds like a world I want to be a part of.

• Locked thread