Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
A hushed silence comes over the room. Men write their names on scraps of paper, nothing more august available for the final ballot. The candidates, Fremont, Stockton, and Kearny, each make their ideas known. Fremont openly campaigns for the position, making his schemes known to all, every thought he has, every idea, explained in detail as one man to another. Stockton and Kearny on the other hand, adopt a more staid manner, seeming to find much in the way of campaigning beneath them. Perhaps it is their military training, or a throwback to an older sort of politics as evinced in America's earliest days. The vote is fairly tight, neck and neck. Mr. Bonaparte is the last to cast his ballot, the deciding ballot. As the votes are counted, the tally is finally revealed:

Kearny - 40.7
Stockton - 15.4
Fremont - 34.1

Kearny has been elected in his own right, to continue on as President of the new California Republic for a term of four years. Hip hip, hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: I will now go through and decide the various government positions to which people will succeed, as well as any changes in influence for the start of the game. Give me a few moments to prepare the government list.

cham888
Nov 30, 2016

I apologize for my absence as there has been a death in the Vallejo clan. My son, Plutarco, died in infancy.

I would like to declare my membership in the Golden Eagle Party

After our tragedy, I leave the Sonoma estate to my son, Platon Mariano, and wish to move to our new property in South California.

That is all. Thank you.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cham888 posted:

I apologize for my absence as there has been a death in the Vallejo clan.

I would like to declare my membership in the Golden Eagle Party

After our tragedy, I leave the Sonoma estate to my son, Platon Mariano, and wish to move to our new property in South California.

That is all. Thank you.

Samuel Brannan

My deepest condolences on your loss, good sir. I welcome you to our party, please let me know how I may be of assistance going forward.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

OOC: This is the current composition of the government thus far. We have a senate of 12 senators, and a house of 50 representatives. There are no established cabinet positions as of now, it is up to the president to appoint those whom he may wish to serve in the cabinet. Serving in the cabinet would not work with serving as a governor or member of the senate (I'm not going to bother modeling players as house members).

We are now in the Freeform Action portion of the game. I want to keep this roleplayable as much as possible. We're going to have a one-week cycle of actions, starting on Mondays and ending on Sundays, unless everyone literally uses up all of their stuff before Sunday. Each character has 10 AP at the beginning of a cycle, action points, which are a kind of vague currency which represent how much you can do during your turn. Each character also has a number of stats. Taken together, your AP and stats will reflect what you can accomplish, and to what degree.

Stat generalizations: 0 = Completely useless, 1 = Incompetent, 2 = Average, 3 = Fairly good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Amazing, 6 = Superior, 7+ = The highest levels of human achievement

Fixed AP Costs: A few things will have fixed AP costs. These are standard and non-negotiable. This will be edited from time to time if I need to add or change anything, so look carefully! None of these AP costs can be transferred to another player in any way.
Travel = 1 AP per 200 miles of travel
Governors can get a House Representative from their state to vote as they like for a cost of 1 AP per vote
Governors can get a Senator from their state to vote as they like for a cost of 2 AP per vote
Proposing a Piece of Legislation = 1 AP cost, available only to Senators
Voting = This is free, you do not need to pay AP to vote, only available to Senators (and the Vice President in the case of a tie)

Arbitrary AP Costs: Most of the things you want to do will cost some vague amount of AP. Whatever thing you want to do that will change the world should probably cost some AP. Things like building something, encouraging immigration, cleaning up the streets, enforcing law, mining for gold, enacting a business plan, all of these have an AP cost. Want to know how much something will cost? Ask your GM. Want to know how successful it will be? Ask your GM. Send me PMs on Discord and I'll reply ASAP, send me PMs here on somethingawful.com.

Posting Your Actions: Once you have an idea of something you'd like to do, and an AP cost for it, you can post it in the thread. When you post, do NOT post the success of your action, but rather your attempt. This gives other players the chance to try to stymie your efforts, undermine them, assist them, whatever. As the GM, it's my job to arbitrate the success or failure of any actions. Thus an action post might look something like this...

Common Man: 5 AP - I'm going to try to encourage immigration to Golden Bay state from Ireland. I have an economics stat of 3, a charisma stat of 4, and an influence of 4, so I will be using some of my own wealth to subsidize the ticket prices for any Irishman who wants to come.

GM Responds: The company agent you speak with seems confident that with the opportunities present, and your subsidizations, a veritable flood of immigrants will arrive in California, but it may be a year's time or more before they begin to arrive. (-1 Influence to your character for a while as your wealth is temporarily depleted)

Private Actions: Let's say you want to do something secret, like kill someone or sabotage their plans. You can tell this to me secretly, don't post it in the thread. All secret actions will have an increased AP cost since you're trying to keep them secret!! Voting however, and shifting votes, will not count as secret no matter what, since only governors can do it, it'd be no surprise who did it.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 6, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

Gentlemen, though we stand on the precipice of history, I will be brief, for it is late, and I'm sure we're all tired.

I wish to submit my first infrastructure proposal (1AP), the the California Railways Act,proposing construction of a rail-line along the following path.

(Rail line in Red, Hub constructed on the Diamond.)

By connecting all the major cities within striking distance (those of Dorado must unfortunately wait for the moment,) we will enable the free flow of settlers to the inner country, and the easy return of food, goods, and raw material. While many of these cities are accesible by river, linking them with bonds of tie and rail will enable expansion and prosperity like never before.

This plan will be paid for through mild tariffs, with contributions from the private sector. I have already spoken with many of my business friends, and they are keen to do their patriotic duty. Let us not delay!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 6, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

Myself and I am sure my fellow Democrats will vote yes on this proposed railway.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

James Sinclair

I, uh. I like the idea of, uh, a rail line, but... um. Won't that take... take a while to, uh, build? And, um. Maybe... uh, maybe one line. First. Would be a good... a good... uhhh, a good start?

I mean... where are the rails... coming from, is the next question. I could... I mean, I could put in, an order? For them, to the Company? It'd... take a while, though, to come from... Scotland, probably. Maybe Wales? I guess I could do that.

It's a good idea, but... uh, I... there's some... uh, logistical planning. Things. I'd want to know, those. Um. First.

If you... ah. Maybe... if, um. If there's more... ports? I might, uh, might... the Company might trade more? Just, uh... have to... uh... Maybe, if, there's a guarantee of the Company's rights, to trade, I could... get more ships, to trade? Maybe some special orders? Maybe?

Uh. Yeah.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Canuck-Errant posted:

James Sinclair

I, uh. I like the idea of, uh, a rail line, but... um. Won't that take... take a while to, uh, build? And, um. Maybe... uh, maybe one line. First. Would be a good... a good... uhhh, a good start?

I mean... where are the rails... coming from, is the next question. I could... I mean, I could put in, an order? For them, to the Company? It'd... take a while, though, to come from... Scotland, probably. Maybe Wales? I guess I could do that.

It's a good idea, but... uh, I... there's some... uh, logistical planning. Things. I'd want to know, those. Um. First.

If you... ah. Maybe... if, um. If there's more... ports? I might, uh, might... the Company might trade more? Just, uh... have to... uh... Maybe, if, there's a guarantee of the Company's rights, to trade, I could... get more ships, to trade? Maybe some special orders? Maybe?

Uh. Yeah.

Senator Samuel Brannan

I entirely agree, my Canadian acquaintance, that it will take some time to construct - hence why we must start now. If you would like to bid on construction contracts in the event that the bill should pass, you will be more than welcome too.

If building a single line is necessary, I suggest the order below, but it is good and proper to plan the entire system out now, that we may better plan for the future.

San Fran -> Moroni -> New Helvetia -> Monterrey -> Jefferson.

(Going purely based on population at the moment, we may revisit after the census.)

Edit: To answer the question I missed, I believe that the HBC should have full rights to trade in California

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

Firstly I would like to congratulate President Kearny on his electoral success, and thank him for giving me the opportunity to serve as his Vice President.

Secondly, I commend the citizens of California on their successful transition to a functioning democracy. We can go forwards confident in the knowledge that we have a real nation behind us, unified by our common struggles and aspirations.

One of the prevailing sentiments in the constitutional convention was the idea that only an enlightened body of citizens would have the ability and desire to fight for their newfound liberties.

In that spirit I am pleased to announce my plans for the creation of a private school in Nueva Helvetia, an institution that will teach the people of the state of Sierra basic literacy and mathematics skills, and English language skills to Indians, Chinamen and other immigrants, in order to join us in the sacred brotherhood of citizenship in our Republic.

Action: spending 3 AP to create a school system in Sierra

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Senator Jack Hays, Democratic Party

My fellow senators, I propose the Gold Revenue Act (1 ap)

quote:

All gold claims that produce over $100 US dollars worth in gold nuggets or dust are to be taxed at 5% of total weight by the federal government of California. To enforce this collection of funds, a minimum 200 man institution (that can be expanded to meet future needs) known as the California Rangers will be organized. This organization will also be tasked with the protection and maintenance of order among the mining camps and frontier. They will be paid fair wages for their work.

This act will establish a very ample source of revenue for our Republic from our current bounty, while also creating the foundations of a security and policing force to maintain law and order across it.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 6, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Brigham Young

On the Subject of Presidents and Congress

My sincerest congratulations to President Stephen Kearny, who now has a mandate to rule in his own right. As one of the leaders of the Golden Eagle Party, I recognize the many areas where the federalist parties interests and positions align with our own, and have instructed our colleagues in the senate and house to cooperate fully in supporting your Presidency. With our parties united, you have strong majorities in both houses of Congress to pursue your agenda.

Doubly so, knowing that the noble Mr. Fremont and his Republicans are likely to support many bills. Our Republic is not beset by partisan bickering, and I hope that under Mr. Kearny's steady hand we can build a Republic that many will envy.

Congress in Session!

While I have focused my efforts on building a virtuous state in Nimrod, where fortune seekers and members of my Church may build their future with safety, I am not without concern for our nation. Some ideas for legislation that would earn the support of the Golden Eagle Party include, but are not limited to:

1. Railroad and Infrastructure (Mr. Brannan's Bill is quite good indeed)
2. Land grants - we should immediately set about granting land to immigrants who might wish to settle in California, as land is plentiful, but labor is not
3. Immigration quotas - we should ensure the right stock of good Christian men arrive in California, and accept only so many from non-Christian nations. But we should not bar them, simply ensure a ratio to not disadvantage our position.
4. Property Rights - Especially in our southern regions, the noble Californio people are fearful that their ranchos will be torn apart and not respected by the coming goldseekers. Let us pass a law that protects their property rights, and ensures adequate compensation for any land needed for government purposes, including railroad construction.
5. Revenue - A national tariff is absolutely essential, and we would support any other revenue raising measure that do not unduly burden our citizens, if the money is intended for good use.

Our Capital and Its Flag

We are a new nation, but we have yet to settle upon the symbols of our Republic. What flag is to fly above our state capitals?

And more importantly, what is to be our capital? Are we to create a federal district, or simply put our capital someplace? Some have proposed Zion as our capital, but I am open to new capitals elsewhere, including further inland to encourage development.

I also have seen a few flags proposed for our Republic. Three of my favorites, for our consideration:

This is perhaps my favorite - you can see the bears represent the people of California - the Californios, Chinese, and Anglos, all united in their love of Republic. Very adorable. Could be enhanced with a gold star - or six, to represent our states.

And some more majestic designs for our avian-loving friends.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brigham Young

The Great Feast at Zion

(It should be noted that I am devoting 2 AP to this.)
Contributions anticipated from the following:
Stephen Kearny - 1 AP
Dong Reagan - 1 AP
Samuel Brannan - 1 AP
Jose Castro - 1 AP
William Walker - 1 AP
John Fremont - 1 AP

Elliot Harding - 1 AP
Mrs. Fremont - 1 AP
Mr. Sokolov

OOC: More donations are welcome, simply let me know. And if the above could confirm in post, that'd be great.

Delegates of the Convention, we have a constitution! We have a Republic!

Our weeks of strenuous negotiating, map-making, and personal feuding are finally done. At hand is the creation of a new Republic, an Earthly paradise where the faithful of my Church and those still yet to find the light of God may live in peace and harmony.

Before we all depart to our respective new homelands, we must first break bread. While many of us have shared meals, or eaten or fallen asleep as we debated into the wee hours of the morning, we have yet to truly relax and socialize in a way befitting men of our status. Let us rest for a day, and the next, meet for a great feast in the Brannan hotel at noon.

The guest list is as follows:

Confirmed to be in attendance:
~Mr. Brigham Young and 15 guests
~Mr. Samuel Brannan and guest
~Mr. John C. Fremont and guest
~Sr. Jose Castro and guest
~Mr. Kit Carson and guest
~Mr. Steven Kearny and guest
~Mr. John Coffee Hays and guest
~Mr. James Sinclair
~Mr. Elliot Harding
~Mr. William Walker
~Mr. Dong Reagan
~Mr. Elliot Harding

The Menu, subject to change, is as follows:

Choices of Appetizer
Sourdough Bread Bowl, filled with your choice of chicken soup or clam chowder.
Artichoke, dipped in butter.
Fine tomatoes, almonds, assorted nuts, and other trappings of the local fruits and vegetables.
Chinese dumplings.
Mexican tortilla chips, served with avocado dip.

Choices of Main Course
Prime Pacific salmon, served with artichoke.
Fresh wild turkey, served with green peas and artichoke.
Fresh cooked chicken, with avocado sauce and a mexican accoutrement titled "bite of the cock".
Corned beef and avocado, served with potatoes.
Sea scallops and shrimp, with wine sauce.
Chancellor Cao's chicken, lemon beef, genuine chop suey, and auspicious biscuits, courtesy of Mr. Dong Reagan.
Mexican tacos and buhr-aitos in abundance, with avocado dip. I am unsure of their particular make, but I am told they are delicious.
Fine Southern Gumbo, courtesy of Mr. Harding.

All served with sourdough rolls.

Choices of Dessert
Pumpkin pie.
Churros.
Fresh strawberries with chocolate.
More sourdough, to which I am dangerously close to addicted.
William Walker's grandma's famous apple pies.

Festivities and Events

12PM: Gates open, and drinks are served. Socializing begins, and music and other standard entertainment also begins.

2PM: Appetizers begin to be served, and a toast is raised to the new Republic.

3PM: A series of wrestling matches is to be organized by Kit Carson, who announces his taking of any and all challengers.

3:30PM: Time permitting, Mr. Dong Reagan will give a lecture on Chinese something or another.

4PM: A brief interlude to stroll across market street and the main square, and officially raise the flag of the Republic for the first time.

5PM: Speeches, Prayers, and Praises of our colleagues. Mr. Fremont and Mr. Brannan are to shake hands and officially reconcile their feud.

5:30PM: Mr. Kearny takes his oath of office as President of the Republic.

Mr. Brannan and Mr. Fremont, side by side, are the first to take the oaths of office immediately thereafter, cementing their lasting commitment to the Republic.

5:50PM: A brief moment of silence, reflection, and prayer to give thanks for the feast and wish God's Grace on our Republic.

6PM: Entrees are served.

7PM: Honored guests (those on the list above) gather round the main table to pose for the commissioning of the painting set to adorn the Republic's capital building. A painter and sketch artists are hired to survey, sketch, and plan the painting, with the painting to be completed later.

9PM: Dessert is served, as the party continues into the night. One last toast to the Republic is raised, and guests may then leave without risking offenses to decorum.

OOC: Any who did not intend to attend may change their mind, or donate more! I also do this with the understanding that security will be provided by the necessary authorities.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 9, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

José Castro

A rousing success all around at the convention I'd say. Congratulations to President Kearny.

I'd like to start by working on translating the Book of Mormon into Spanish. 2AP

And I'd also like to help Mr. Young with the feast by bringing the finest of my cultural foods. 1AP

As a suggestion, I believe we should set up a California Marshal Service with the express task of hunting down lawless criminals, both within the borders of our states, and out in the territories. Is there any support for such a group? Not an action

Finally, I'd like to develop and set up Eden in the following ways:
Writing the state constitution, building a capitol building, making contact with Santa Barbara, developing the port of Monterey to aid my citizens in selling their farmed goods, sending word to my contacts in Mexico about the new opportunities and encouraging them spread the word about migration(drawing special attention to the instability under Santa Anna), verifying and recording land claims in official state documents, and establishing a bilingual school system for both children and adults who wish to learn both languages.
I'd like to search for and hire several native Americans (of both tribes) who already speak Spanish and/or English and enlist them into teaching all natives (of their tribe) in Eden the local languages.
I will also like to grant, from unclaimed lands, 20 acres of farmland, or 50 acres of ranchland, to anyone unlanded now living in Eden, to include natives, provided they speak a language I do.
From my personal wealth, I'd like to build a medium-sized, modest house along the coast near the city of Monterey to be gifted to President Kearny for his usage when not in the capitol, and whenever he retires from the Presidency.
Included in the state constitution will be a right to property and a right to emancipation. All men are free and welcome in Eden.
(7AP for the paragraph as a whole[if this is insufficient to accomplish all these goals efficiently, translating to 1, and this to 8])

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

William Walker

I will of course contribute to the feast with my Grandmother's prize winning apple pie, plus beverages. (1 AP)

Afterwards, I intend to travel through Texas and the United States to meet with prospective investors (9 AP to travel 1780 miles from Yerba Buena to Austin).

[edit]Also I wholeheartedly support the three-bears flag.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 6, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

John C. Frémont

My time now is brief, so I shall be brief. I will contribute 1 AP to the feast, with me and my wonderful wife Jessie helping out at the feast so that our gracious host Mr. Young, all the other guests, and even Mr. Brannan can have a pleasant time there. Let it not be said that I am a dishonorable man, or a grudge-holder.

I would like to propose that this flag, known as the Frémont Flag, become the flag of our nation.This wonderful 26-star flag is the very same flag I carried into California when I first explored her. It was made by my wife Jessie. You may notice that the eagle on the flag carries the Indian peace pipe instead of the traditional symbol of the olive branch. It also has an alternate version where the colors in the canton are reversed.

Look at that beautiful thing!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brigham Young

Already (7AP) worth of contributions to the feast. I am humbled before you all!

And Mr. Fremont, you flag is most agreeable. Is it possible to make it six stripes and six gold stars, to reflect our Republic's makeup? This would, of course, change as new states are added.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Senator Elliot Harding of Sierra State

Seeking to ingratiate himself with his new colleagues, Elliot brings the finest gumbo Downieville has to offer. (1 AP to the feast.)

After extending his heartfelt congratulations to President Kearny, he sets about carousing, wheeling and dealing with his fellow Republicans and sometimes exchanging pleasantries with the Federalists and Golden Eagles. The Democrats he keeps his distance from. In the course of the feast, a few things become clear:

Albeit filtered through the lenses of libation, Harding seems quite adamant about using his new position to build up Downieville as a mecca of gold mining and commerce for the state of Sierra. He talks in great detail of bringing in banks, saloons, betting parlors, and other amenities which might increase the prestige of his home town. Though it's probably drunken boasting, he suggests Downieville could one day displace New Helveita as the state capital. (4 AP)

To the surprise of few, he quickly begins to rally fellow Republicans to draft a bill on country-wide emancipation. Federalists and Golden Eagles are likewise canvassed for their support. With little soil to till in this regard among Democrats, their opinions are not sought during the feast. (1 AP bill proposal)

His support for Brannan's Railway Act is made obvious, while he is not shy at all in criticizing Hays' proposed Gold Revenue Act, citing it as a thinly veiled attempt to depress migration from the east with taxation on gold mining.

"Gold's one of the only things drawin' folks to our nation; maybe the only thing drawin' 'em. How's it make sense to burden people this way? We oughta be giving them more incentives to stay, not driving them out with this bull - scuse' my language."

Later on into the night he can be heard drunkenly extolling the virtues of Fremont's flag - though he likes Brigham Young's suggested changes.

The rest of his time at the feast is spent in gluttonous relaxation before he retires back to his beloved mining town. (1 AP, 200 miles between Yerba Buena and Downieville)

(7 AP spent in total.)

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 6, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
In brief, 1ap to the feast. Should be a good time!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Senator Jack Hays, Democratic Party

Myself and the Democratic Party will be voting against the abolitionist's desire to tear our society apart.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

I would have to see a detailed bill before I could commit any support - this issue is delicate enough (practically, if not morally), that we must proceed in a most cautious manner, lest we give rise to the tensions even now wracking the United States.

In non-political news, I wish to announce my plans or Spanish Language Edition of the Alta California Daily! While I am organizing the Spanish speakers on the Editorial and News side, it is important to lay the groundwork for such an endeavor early. As such, I will be using my connections and great personal wealth to buy any newspaper printing presses available, as well as some more suited to the production of books. (2 AP) I look forward to bringing the Californios of...California the same quality reporting and national perspective that the Anglos of California have long enjoyed.

Furthermore, to be quite clear, I continue to support San Francisco as our national capital, and see no reason to change.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 6, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

I will be keeping track of the Senate Votes Here

SB 1 (please number your bills!) is currently set to pass the Senate, with 8 votes in favor at the moments.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Wang Long

At a Chinese tea house in New Helvetia, there are several men and women of various races arguing about whether Sieyes was counterrevolutionary for supporting Napoleon's rise and a betrayal. Wang Long raises his hand, "The goal of the Revolution was to free bourgeois social relations, which they did. The Jacobins that proceeded them, barring Robespierre, botched the revolution and set it back in crucial ways. Napoleon furthered that. He was revolutionary."

The conversation continues on until another round of tea has been served and several speak up. Wang finishes his tea. "This is why Sierra will be a grand state. It will be a state that has the values of Enlightenment and Industry. We shall be a sea of liberalism, science, and learning. Also, a place where we will focus as a hot bed of industry and through this industrial revolution, become known as hard workers, where we will apply what we learned of the Enlightenment to this. We are rich because we have the most valuable resource: Free labor!" Everyone urges to continue drinking and asks for another round before going on to questions of Bourgeois Coldness.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

During his trip to Downieville, Harding stops in New Helveita at Sutter's Fort to wait for the eponymous senator to return. He makes clear his intent on challenging Sutter regarding the recent controversies levied against him...

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
John Sutter

Congratulations to all of the duly elected members of Congress that the good people of California have chosen to represent them. Congratulations to the returning President for winning our first national popular vote. The institutions of democracy are the most important things we as a young country can develop and I would say we are on our way. Lastly, I want to personally congratulate my friend Wang Long for becoming the Governor of our fine state of Sierra. In more ways than one, I believe Sierra will be at the forefront of creating the politics, culture, and economy of California.

Now down to specifics, I would support Senator Brannan’s Railway bill (SB1). I believe it lays out a decent practical framework for now but also allows for expansion if and when that time comes.

I would also like to lend my support to the good Vice President’s proposal to start the construction of a school for everyone in Nueva Helvetia (1AP). (OOC: FSAD told me to wait on this) Vice President Bonaparte is a man with a long vision and this helps put Sierra on the right sort of path.

I would also like to announce my very strong opposition to Senator Hays’ gold tax scheme. We agreed during the convention to federalism and I am extremely weary of starting off early with a federal tax to grow the federal government. We do not need a strong federal government with strong federal military and Senator Hays’ bill starts us off down that road. Leave taxation and provision of the services as much to the states as possible.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I support Senator Harding’s emancipation bill.

Finally, I feel a small response to the essay penned by the good Senator Brannan might be in order. I have aligned with a political party that wants immediate emancipation while Senator Brannan supported a candidate for President that currently owns slaved. I have aligned myself with a political party that does not want to provide the masters compensation for their slaves and the good Senator Brannan has hinted that he wishes to provide compensation for the masters to free the people they own.

With this in mind, I would like to announce that any slaves still in my capacity have been freed and offered the standard wages of my other employees (1ap if necessary). OOC: FSAD said I didn't have to spend the AP.

On a personal note, I have done some things which are horrible and I have done them to my fellow man. Like John Newton, the English reverend who penned Amazing Grace after realizing the horrors of his participation in the Atlantic slave trade, my life is in God's hands and I have been working through my repentance. If it is the Mormon strategy to publicly shame while dragging their feet in private, it says much about their members and perhaps their god.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 8, 2016

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

With Senator Sutter's announcement made, Senator Harding adds his own few words;

"We've all got the chance for a fresh start here; I was a sailor on a whaling ship before Major Downie took me under his wing. Now I'm a senator in this great new Republic. John Sutter did things I certainly oppose, but we've both seen the light of God's wisdom shining down on California, an' our paths are clear. If the Golden Eagles are true to their convictions, they'll join the Republican party in calling for an end to slavery throughout the land."

After spending a night of breaking bread at Sutter's Fort, he continues on to Downieville.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Paper With Lines posted:

John Sutter

Congratulations to all of the duly elected members of Congress that the good people of California have chosen to represent them. Congratulations to the returning President for winning our first national popular vote. The institutions of democracy are the most important things we as a young country can develop and I would say we are on our way. Lastly, I want to personally congratulate my friend Wang Long for becoming the Governor of our fine state of Sierra. In more ways than one, I believe Sierra will be at the forefront of creating the politics, culture, and economy of California.

Now down to specifics, I would support Senator Brannan’s Railway bill (SB1). I believe it lays out a decent practical framework for now but also allows for expansion if and when that time comes.

I would also like to lend my support to the good Vice President’s proposal to start the construction of a school for everyone in Nueva Helvetia (1AP). Vice President Bonaparte is a man with a long vision and this helps put Sierra on the right sort of path.

I would also like to announce my very strong opposition to Senator Hays’ gold tax scheme. We agreed during the convention to federalism and I am extremely weary of starting off early with a federal tax to grow the federal government. We do not need a strong federal government with strong federal military and Senator Hays’ bill starts us off down that road. Leave taxation and provision of the services as much to the states as possible.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I support Senator Harding’s emancipation bill.

Finally, I feel a small response to the essay penned by the good Senator Brannan might be in order. I have aligned with a political party that wants immediate emancipation while Senator Brannan supported a candidate for President that currently owns slaved. I have aligned myself with a political party that does not want to provide the masters compensation for their slaves and the good Senator Brannan has hinted that he wishes to provide compensation for the masters to free the people they own.

With this in mind, I would like to announce that any slaves still in my capacity have been freed and offered the standard wages of my other employees (1ap if necessary).

On a personal note, I have done some things which are horrible and I have done them to my fellow man. Like John Newton, the English reverend who penned Amazing Grace after realizing the horrors of his participation in the Atlantic slave trade, my life is in God's hands and I have been working through my repentance. If it is the Mormon strategy to publicly shame while dragging their feet in private, it says much about their members and perhaps their god.

Senator Samuel Brannan

I'm thrilled that the work of the Alta California Daily has finally gotten you to publicly reject the incredible vile acts that you have been perpetrating for over the last decade. A more suspicious man might accuse you of attempting to jump on board the ascendant Republican party for political gain, given your seemingly complete 180-degree reversal on an issue you up until very recently held near and dear to your heart. Given that your slaves were already abandoning you at every opportunity, I do wonder how many will choose to stay on now that they have been "freed." Will you still make them eat from troughs like animals?

I do wish very much for the growth and success of Sierra - as a major commercial interest throughout the region (indeed, the only one for quite some time in some places), your rising tide will lift my boat as well. To our mutual prosperity!

-----

Founding Plans for Brannan Naval Industries posted:

• Buy as much of the existing harbor and dockyard facilities in San Francisco as possible
  • Buy coastal land in area that might prove good for future/expansion facilities, including the East Bay
  • Buy stakes in hotels and lodging houses catering to sailors
  • Inquire with HBC and other representatives about supply chains
(5AP, -2 influence for wealth spending)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 6, 2016

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: There are a lot of people posting AP prices for things they haven't discussed with me, that's gonna be a sure way to see your projects fail. Please do not assume you can guess an AP price unless it's on the list of pre-approved prices, because the things you do may also have influence costs as well...

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

John Sutter

I have begun the process of repenting for my sins, Senator. However, I have some questions for the gracious Senator from Golden Bay as he seems to be in a conversational mood.

1. Does the Senator from Golden Bay support the speech given by Mormon leader and personal friend Joseph Smith advocating for violence against the State in Missouri and `not resting until every drop of their blood is spilled'?

2. Does the good Senator from Golden Bay support the attempted murder of the Missouri Governor, Mr. Boggs, stemming from an inflammatory `prophecy' from Mr. Smith? If God tells follows of the Church of Latter Day Saints that I will be murdered, should I be concerned?

3. Does the Senator from Golden Bay wish to bring polygamy to California and does he support Joseph Smith's upwards of around 14 concurrant marriages? Some of those wives he took in polygamy had pre-existing marriages with other husbands.

In any case, hopefully the Mormons can learn to integrate into a modern society lawfully and hopefully the current crop of Mormon leaders are less violently anti-state than previous leaders. It would lead to a much stronger California.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Samuel Brannan

Your slanders and attempts at deflecting attention from your crimes do neither you, nor your party credit. You rely on whispered rumors and debunked inanities, while the charges laid against you outside the halls of this body are based on years of fact and verified basis. I do not myself practice polygamy - if you wish to get into a theological debate, please take to Prophet Young.

Does Mr. Fremont endorse this anti-Mormon bigotry on the floor of the Senate, bigotry that has been on display from the very first votes we took at the Convention?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 6, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Mr. Sutter

My apologies for a mistatement, the speech in my first question was delivered by CLDS President Rigdon, personal friend of Mr. Smith.

I must add -- I am curious what part of this was slander? Do you deny any of the things I have said actually happened? Quite curious.

edited: took the last sentence and made it a new post since it was an edit.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 6, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Paper With Lines posted:

Mr. Sutter

My apologies for a mistatement, the speech in my first question was delivered by CLDS President Rigdon, personal friend of Mr. Smith.

I must add -- I am curious what part of this was slander? Do you deny any of the things I have said actually happened? Quite curious.

The notion of you judging anyone for their past actions is laughable, much less your attempts to tarnish a people and religion with a speech purportedly given by a "friend" of Joseph Smith in 1838. The Senate floor is for serious business, not your continued anti-Mormon crusade. I will be happy to answer your questions in a more appropriate venue.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I don't care about your religious views as religious views -- I care about them as they relate to the state. Mormons have shown extreme hostility to the state in previous years, so it is of national importance to understand if they will do that in California as well. Do you not think Mr. Rigdon can speak for the CLDS? Even though he was a President?

The Mormon religion has historically not been a private religion where people keep to themselves -- these are not questions of personal philosophy.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Paper With Lines posted:

I don't care about your religious views as religious views -- I care about them as they relate to the state. Mormons have shown extreme hostility to the state in previous years, so it is of national importance to understand if they will do that in California as well.

The Mormon religion has historically not been a private religion where people keep to themselves -- these are not questions of personal philosophy.

From the beginning, we have indicated nothing other than a willingness to follow the civil law of California.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

From the beginning, we have indicated nothing other than a willingness to follow the civil law of California.

For all the hostility the Senator from the coast is showing me for him to give such a simple affirmative answer in response is quite a strange thing. I suppose they think that other people are subject to public stone casting but when I raise questions about LDS President Rigdon calling for the slaughter of good Missouri folks.... well, that is just out of line.

I thank the Senator for his, erm, rather pained answer.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I am happy to have cleared up your concerns. May we both now return to doing the people's business.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

On reaching Downieville, Harding starts upon the ad hoc process of erecting a functioning senatorial office. He appoints a few personal acquaintances - mostly fellow miners, all black like himself - to his staff, and dispatches several of them back towards Yerba Buena to act as his voice in the capital. Chief among their instructions are to promote the - admittedly soon-to-come - splendors of Downieville and send prospective entrepreneurs towards that fair town. Immigrants and those looking to make their fortune through gold mining are particularly sought after.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Dear friends and neighbors,

The Congregation of God-worshippers Mission to California for Great Peace On This Earth would like to formally celebrate the completion of the constitutional convention, and commit our efforts to bettering this newborn nation we have settled in. While our prime directive is to preach the good word of Jesus and his little brother, it is supplemented by the desire to better all societies, so we may live in brotherhood and harmony.

To this end, we have decided to make Golden Bay our base of operations. This golden gateway is the destination for visitors and new citizens from all around the world, and a place where we may be of the effective service.

For our first act of service, we wish to establish the Saint Augustine’s Starter School for new arrivals in Yerba Buena. With the considerable educational resources this mission has at its disposal, we can provide the beginnings of a rock-solid education for the miners, prospectors, and most importantly citizens of this new republic. St. Augustine’s Starter School shall provide classes in Californian Civics, Language instruction (English, Spanish, Cantonese, and Taishanese), and wilderness courses from Introductory Gold-Panning to Field Survival to Camp Cooking.

The primary goal is to guide new arrivals into productive, well-informed, citizens of California, inculcating them with the values as befit long-term residents to this country. The secondary aim is to foster an environment beyond the work camps and beer-houses and music halls where Californians of different origins from all the nations and colors and creeds of this earth may intermix in a more- refined setting, dedicated to cultural and intellectual interchange. SASS is non-sectarian and open to all students, and education shall be provided gratis for the time being, funded by the mission but also open to aid of all kinds, both private and public. Details on curricula are forthcoming, and we humbly submit this proposal to the debate and discussion of the greater public. (3 AP)

For our second act of service, the Congregation would like to establish a different sort of mission- a trade mission from the Orient to California. Blessed with economic and financial ties by the Heavenly Father, we have at our disposal contacts in the treaty ports of Canton, Amoy, Foochow, Ningpo, and Shanghai- not to mention British Hong Kong and other locales. Your Mormonite Lord Young is correct at least when he links earthly riches to heavenly ones- indeed, to become wealthy is Godly, so long as it is done through ways that do not offend the Father of Heaven. So we are willing to sell our exotic commodities- teas, silks, spices, rhubarb- in the nascent marketplaces of California, in exchange for your accepted currency of gold, and the acceptance as neighbors and brethren. All Californians dream of the great gold mountain and a new place to start, so why not members of the most ancient and venerable civilization? We look forward to these new relations between the youngest son of the West with the oldest mother of the East. (3 AP)

To inaugurate these decisions, we shall be attending Mormonite Lord Young's cornucopia-fest, laden with both example texts of our upcoming Starter School, as well as samples of the goods we seek to sell in this burgeoning new market. We shall provide our finest dishes: Chancellor Cao's chicken, lemon beef, genuine chop suey, and auspicious biscuits. We do hope that the fest will be most welcoming to all. (2 AP to travel, 1 AP to the feast)

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: To help me better keep track of people's actions, when you spend AP points, please make a note of it on this spreadsheet I've made. All you need to do is put your forum name, the basic action (Build some schools, buy some land, encourage immigrants), and the AP cost, and a link to the post you made in the thread. Again, please don't bother other people's actions, it just makes it more difficult for me and we're not children. I will put this into the first post...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iEWkY28FgAiph68JInPxmzg-lXEchQXAqaeAafIUpLc/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
President Kearny

Such vim and vigor from the good senators Sutter and Brannan, for a moment I was worried such pety feuds may be absent from our republic. Now, honor it is to be elected the first president of our soon to be great nation, I must inform you that ive deemed such vanities as portraits and speeches to be immaterial for the moment. As such, I will cleave directly to the matter at hand and discuss the proposed legislation I see before me.

The California Railways Act by the one and only Senator Brannann has my full support, as well as the full support of the federalist party in the matter. I urge our senators to vote alongside his proposal, as national infrastructure is a priority of our platform. An intelligent and fair legislation all around.

The Gold Revenue Act by Senator Hays also shares the full support of the federalist party, as the means of solvency it shall provide is crucial. I expect a fair deal of resistance from those black hearted theives who wish only to rake our nation for their own gain, but regardless of the opposition such cowards will likely present, let my stance be known.

As for Senator Hardings proposed bill on country-wide emancipation Im afraid on this I must remain silent. Though I agree that slavery is a vile hypocrisy, there are far more pressing issues we must face, before we tackle something as divisive as the slave issue. Perhaps a compromise, but at this time I can not in good faith take a stance on a bill that creates such a divide. I still myself remain opposed to slavery as a practice, but it is not an issue to tackle so early on. Once our foundations are in place, I will gladly weigh in on measures of slavery.

In other news, I wish to once again proclaim my intention to attend the feast being held by Governer Young, and I hereby invite all officers of military that forged our nation, both anglo and mormon to attend with me. Donate 1 ap to feast

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 7, 2016

• Locked thread