Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And get one of those obnoxious 'Dog is my Copilot' bumper stickers and being extra super obnoxious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I've been doing a lot of flights for Pilots N Paws lately and I think I need to stop. I almost adopted a dog today simply because of how cool it was in the plane.

Plus I'd have to name it some insufferable aviation related name.

That's great :mrgw:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Rolo posted:

I've been doing a lot of flights for Pilots N Paws lately and I think I need to stop. I almost adopted a dog today simply because of how cool it was in the plane.

Propwash
Drag
Immelmann
Chandelle
if it's a little frou frou thing
Whitcomb

I dare you to name a dog Prandtl-Glauert

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Rolo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU9USxJ9vPs

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Rolo posted:

When I was in flight school my roommate rescued a kitten and named it FOD.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I'd go with "Alpha." Even sounds like a dog name!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
He said "insufferable aviation related" names, not good/decent names I mean come on you're not even trying! :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Name your dog DeltaOscarGolf.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My dogs have figured out what 'Oscar Uniform Tango' and 'Whiskey Alfa Lima Kilo' are.

Get a lab mix. Name it Sully. Take him to the pond to play and scold him when he does an ATPee on your rug.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And I thought my cousin's lab named Cessna was bad. (She was found trying to stay warm under his plane so it makes sense at least!)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Bark Yeager?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

RJ for the name?

Also, thanks for the crew scheduling feedback. A former instructor of mine echoed what you said, saying it sucked and is a thankless job. I get screamed at enough by my rear end in a top hat brother.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

RJ for the name?
Only if it's one of those dogs that gets halfway up the stairs then suddenly forgets how to climb them.

Rolo posted:

Bark Yeager?
I've heard the real life Yeager was a bit of an rear end in a top hat, use this name at your own risk.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Ok, but in the airplane that I fly ~15% thrust will have you taxiing at 50+ knots. It's not TO thrust but it's certainly well above "normal" taxi speed.

So... use less thrust? Or go nuts taxying at 50+ knots, assumedly that's nowhere near your Vr anyway so nobody could accuse you of setting TO power too early.

In the airplane I fly, we taxi at around 30 knots (well, when not stuck behind a line of A320s) and in the specific situation you mentioned I wouldn't go applying takeoff power until crossing the threshold of the runway itself.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Well I went and done got LASIK today. Five hours later and I can already see almost as good as with my glasses, though my eyes are still irritated and a little blurry.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Animal posted:

Well I went and done got LASIK today. Five hours later and I can already see almost as good as with my glasses, though my eyes are still irritated and a little blurry.

Did you wear contacts while flying? I can't imagine flying without sunglasses. I also can't imagine flying with those dorky shaded glasses clip ons too. No matter what you're flying #1 rule is look cool and sound cool

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Did you wear contacts while flying? I can't imagine flying without sunglasses. I also can't imagine flying with those dorky shaded glasses clip ons too. No matter what you're flying #1 rule is look cool and sound cool

I bought prescription sunglasses from Warby Parker, their Raskin model. They are awesome, I am sending them back to have non prescription lenses installed.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I do prescription sunglasses. But it sucks traveling with two pairs and going without them for a couple weeks when I get new lenses.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I can imagine thats the best way to do it. I used to wear contacts but got PRK surgery while I was in college, before I started flying. The cockpit would be a sucky place to have a contact fold up on you or get dry or do whatever it decides to do to annoy you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

No matter what you're flying #1 rule is look cool and sound cool

This could really be the entirety of the OP.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I sound like a robot. Is that cool?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

The Ferret King posted:

I sound like a robot. Is that cool?

That depends, on a scale of Hal to Microsoft Sam to "DANGER ROBINSON FAMILY" how robot are you?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
When I first got to my current facility and started training on ground control, a local pilot asked "When did ya'll switch to a digital ATIS (Automated weather broadcast for the airport)?"

We don't have a digital ATIS. It was my voice on the recording.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Call me an old man, but I really don't like the digital ATIS use here in Canada, mostly because it is painfully slow. I kid you not it often takes almost three minutes to cycle through the whole message, and inevitably you copy the last two-thirds of the message and then all of a sudden "STANDBY FOR NEW ATIS MESSAGE...STANDBY FOR NEW ATIS MESSAGE..."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pilot has medical emergency on a commercial flight (737). Airforce B1-B pilot assists first officer to get the plane down:

http://www.afspc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123412412&source=GovD

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

This could really be the entirety of the OP.

Well poo poo. I'm the guy that wears those clip-on sunglasses and sounds like a complete doofus on the radio.

OP please update my status to "KodiakRS- Not A Real Pilot (PHX/ORD)"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Locator posted:

Pilot has medical emergency on a commercial flight (737). Airforce B1-B pilot assists first officer to get the plane down:

http://www.afspc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123412412&source=GovD

That's a pretty cool story. No idea what I'd do in a situation like that.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

I'd love to do that. PM me some details.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Pilots N Paws is no big secret - if you're up for volunteering, here's their website: http://pilotsnpaws.org/

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Well poo poo. I'm the guy that wears those clip-on sunglasses and sounds like a complete doofus on the radio.

OP please update my status to "KodiakRS- Not A Real Pilot (PHX/ORD)"

Well as long as no one ever equates the two, ie you're taxiing behind a line of planes to park and you sound like a doofus on the radio and then you get out next to them and clip on your sunglasses, well, you just broke every kind of rule.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How does a doofus sound?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

DNova posted:

How does a doofus sound?

Have you ever heard Captain Apollo on the radio? I have.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Have you ever heard Captain Apollo on the radio? I have.

Haha, no. I'm just curious though. I don't want to be a doofus on the radio.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't think any of us have avoided that fate. Slow to respond, too many "um's" or "ah's," needing instructions repeated constantly by ATC, making vague or annoying calls on the common traffic frequencies, sounding lost or confused, sounding like an old farmer John, not listening or stepping over other people on the same frequency etc. Or, in Apollo's case, sounding suspiciously giddy at all times. These are all traits of a doofus.

Usually harmless, sometimes hilarious to your peers, the Radio Doofus is an entertaining animal that is often a temporary lapse in radio composure. It is opposite from a Radio rear end in a top hat, who is much more malevolent and consistent in their breaches of radio conduct.

EDIT: This is all made up, but I love using the word "doofus" or "dingus" as a term of endearment for less than brilliant displays of anything.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I think my radio calls are ok but I probably read back instructions too much when it's not necessary.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, better too much than too little, especially if your speech rate is good and your transmission is brief and concise. Reading back instructions places the responsibility of accuracy back on ATC and is good insurance for a pilot. Though I understand wanting to keep things brief, I also I understand why pilots would want to utilize that insurance as often as possible.

The only thing I regularly hear new pilots read back that I think is unnecessary, is the wind check.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Dalrain posted:

Pilots N Paws is no big secret - if you're up for volunteering, here's their website: http://pilotsnpaws.org/

Awesome. Maybe one day, when I can afford to rent an airplane, I can participate.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 1, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

Or, in Apollo's case, sounding suspiciously giddy at all times. These are all traits of a doofus.

I'm just so excited to talk to ATC I don't know why.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

Usually harmless, sometimes hilarious to your peers, the Radio Doofus is an entertaining animal that is often a temporary lapse in radio composure. It is opposite from a Radio rear end in a top hat, who is much more malevolent and consistent in their breaches of radio conduct.

Which category does "Any traffic in the area please advise" fall under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

Which category does "Any traffic in the area please advise" fall under?

I'd call that doofus category for sure. Along with "with you." Both are fairly harmless, just pointless.

• Locked thread