Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwalker
Jun 30, 2006

Wanderer Above the Mist
IR Smoke is a completely valid option instead of turbo if you take racer and you're up against the TR Strikermonkey horde.

In my opinion, scrapper+turbo/smoke or racer+smoke is a good combination to keep you alive. You can also run the Halberd if you're really big on killing tanks exclusively.

Just build the loadout against what you're fighting.

Composite+smoke+scrapper+Enforcer for tighter areas against TR
Composite+smoke+racer+Enforcer for wide open areas against TR
Composite+turbo+scrapper+Enforcer for tighter areas against VS
Composite+turbo+racer+Enforcer for wide open areas against VS

Autorepair is useless, radar is useless, gate diffuser is useless 98% of the time, there aren't enough lockons to warrant using stealth even with the strikermonkeys, surger is useless imo because if you're on a hill you're dead.

I guess I should start recording my Harasser gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Highwalker posted:

IR Smoke is a completely valid option instead of turbo if you take racer and you're up against the TR Strikermonkey horde.

In my opinion, scrapper+turbo/smoke or racer+smoke is a good combination to keep you alive. You can also run the Halberd if you're really big on killing tanks exclusively.

Just build the loadout against what you're fighting.

Composite+smoke+scrapper+Enforcer for tighter areas against TR
Composite+smoke+racer+Enforcer for wide open areas against TR
Composite+turbo+scrapper+Enforcer for tighter areas against VS
Composite+turbo+racer+Enforcer for wide open areas against VS

Autorepair is useless, radar is useless, gate diffuser is useless 98% of the time, there aren't enough lockons to warrant using stealth even with the strikermonkeys, surger is useless imo because if you're on a hill you're dead.

I guess I should start recording my Harasser gameplay.

Mostly true, though with Racer your statement about hills is completely false and hills become a hilarious mode of escape. I still prefer Turbo to IR Smoke simply because of how you SHOULD use it when you drive. The pros outweigh the cons, because it's easy to break locks if you're aggressive... the trick is knowing when you're being locked since you're in external cam and there's no text warning.

And Scrapper will make your gun platform slightly more stable at the expense of making you a MUCH, MUCH easier target and making the thing way less fun to drive. Even in cramped areas. Avoid it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Never roll with a MAX in your junk if you actually want to be effective. MAX in junk is only for transport.

Having a first gen AV Max in the back is actually really good as long as you play properly. The harasser needs to get in close and behind the tank before engaging so the AV MAX can jump out and start shooting. Then the MBT has to either decide to kill the Max or the harasser. If you are NC and the Tank decides to kill you then just shield your poo poo while the harasser continues to pound on them. If they focus the harasser you can try to get your circle strafe on and making sure either you or the max always get rear shots. Tanks tend to melt before they can even respond with this setup but you are far less survivable on the move without the third seat to repair.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Racer on Harasser makes that much of a difference? Really? I've got Scrapper 3 and am loving it right now. Wouldn't it be easier to weave between obstacles and line up roadkills with the Scrapper?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BadLlama posted:

Having a first gen AV Max in the back is actually really good as long as you play properly. The harasser needs to get in close and behind the tank before engaging so the AV MAX can jump out and start shooting. Then the MBT has to either decide to kill the Max or the harasser. If you are NC and the Tank decides to kill you then just shield your poo poo while the harasser continues to pound on them. If they focus the harasser you can try to get your circle strafe on and making sure either you or the max always get rear shots. Tanks tend to melt before they can even respond with this setup but you are far less survivable on the move without the third seat to repair.

Hence I said transport, which is still what you're describing. You ferry the MAX out and drop him/her off behind an armor column, he/she doesn't stay in the backseat, gunning... that spot is reserved for an Engi to repair you while on the go. The Harasser breaks off and the Gunner hops in the back to repair while you drive, so you never have to stop, ever.

Basically, play it like the name suggests.

Artificer posted:

Racer on Harasser makes that much of a difference? Really? I've got Scrapper 3 and am loving it right now. Wouldn't it be easier to weave between obstacles and line up roadkills with the Scrapper?

The benefit to turning and maneuverability vs how much benefit you get from Racer is staggering. With Racer 3 on flat terrain your regular top speed is around 105 KPH, which is faster than anything else around. I regularly lead ESFs on merry chases where they can't hit me because I'm weaving all over the goddamn place at high speed, and in chasing me they are just leaving themselves open to being murdered by something else, which is what happens about 90% of the time.

ESFs do not scare me one bit in my Harasser. The same cannot be said about my Vanguard. :smith:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 10, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gonna cert that chassis up after I get some Turbo. 2-3 levels is enough, right? I don't have to max it out?

How do you break locks with Turbo and no Smoke?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 10, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I bought Surger 3 for my Harasser and I've had a few gunners ask what chassis I'm using because apparently it makes for a very smooth ride. This, of course, makes it easier to aim on the move. I guess that's what the "and handling" means on the surger description?

I've got max level composite/turbo/surger, and a thermal enforcer bolted to the top. Decked out with palm tree camo, flaming skull hood ornament, and a horn. It's seriously the most fun thing in the game, hands down. I even have a little keyboard macro setup so I never have to stop honking. For effect it also strobes my headlights.

Highwalker
Jun 30, 2006

Wanderer Above the Mist

Fuzz posted:

Mostly true, though with Racer your statement about hills is completely false and hills become a hilarious mode of escape. I still prefer Turbo to IR Smoke simply because of how you SHOULD use it when you drive. The pros outweigh the cons, because it's easy to break locks if you're aggressive... the trick is knowing when you're being locked since you're in external cam and there's no text warning.

And Scrapper will make your gun platform slightly more stable at the expense of making you a MUCH, MUCH easier target and making the thing way less fun to drive. Even in cramped areas. Avoid it.

It's almost impossible to completely negate Striker lockons because of the hilarious tracking "feature" of the Striker. Using hard cover to break locks gives your gunner a tiny tiny window to do anything useful. Smoke is really the only real way of escaping that incoming damage.

I have plenty of fun driving my scrapper 3 harasser around.

And I'm pretty sure Racer 3 only gives you 10kph plus the extra acceleration, which is nice.

It comes down to how and where you drive it.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Phew, glad you told Westy and I we were having fun wrong before we could do it again. We dodged a bullet there! If you hadn't clarified that the back seat is for a repair bitch who occasionally drops a mine, I might have continued riding in the back as a MAX in complete ignorance :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 10, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Saddest Robot posted:

I try to fly my reaver like the cool dudes in the videos but the moment I get anywhere near a hex with at least one enemy in it I get flakked, lanced and missiled to hell and back within seconds. Do these youtube airgods play on magical servers where nobody knows how to deal with air?

Don't fly over enemy hexes. If you do, you do it well between bases in ditches or way up high out of range. Just make your own kill zone in friendly territory along a front line.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I use the harasser turbo (maxed out) for 2 things:

Getting over hills/mountains and catching some sweet air.

Going from 0 to Plaid when I spin out in front of a prowler so I can then dart off in the opposite direction. This is my main means to survival when I am fighting around tanks and is very hard for a tank to deal with.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With turbo you can park your harasser pointing towards safety while you gunner shoots at a distant tank. When the tank finally aims and fires a shot you can press shift and dodge the shot the window to do this is very forgiving. Even if the shot hits you it does not kill you and you are left with 3 "lives" to keep at it.

Also with racer 3 chassis you can do a full 180 from stopped by pressing left and forward. Checkmate scrappers :smug:

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.
I accidentally discovered today that if you activate MAX charge just as you hit the small "hop" your character does walking over a small rise that it will in fact launch you into air like a missile, except you merely splat instead of exploding on the far end. I don't envy the world in which SOE physics exist, you're likely to lose an eye trying to make a sandwich.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Hog Jowls posted:

I accidentally discovered today that if you activate MAX charge just as you hit the small "hop" your character does walking over a small rise that it will in fact launch you into air like a missile, except you merely splat instead of exploding on the far end. I don't envy the world in which SOE physics exist, you're likely to lose an eye trying to make a sandwich.

Yeah this is really fun on the exterior of biolabs, I've charged into the tiny ridge at the join between the sections around the edge before and launched myself to one of the outposts. It didn't end well.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hog Jowls posted:

A few weeks ago I was repairing my Vanguard when someone decided to jump into it and break the laws of physics, the result was I got launched 100m into the air only to end up dieing by landing on top of my tank.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes when I am running the controls will start to feel like jello and I will wobble walk through buildings and floors. I have ended up inside wall and enemy spawns because of this. It is like being a sad ghost who cant control his own powers and keeps sinking through the floor into the lower level. I wonder what it looks like to an outside observer?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

BadLlama posted:

A few weeks ago I was repairing my Vanguard when someone decided to jump into it and break the laws of physics, the result was I got launched 100m into the air only to end up dieing by landing on top of my tank.

I watched a Vanguard get hit by a magrider and explode. A chunk of the tank landed on another vanguard next to it. It exploded as well. A chunk of that vanguard landed on a nearby deployed ammo sunderer, blowing it up as well.

Once I ran over an abandoned flash at full speed in my sunderer as I was heading towards a building to deploy. A few seconds after I deployed that flash comes tumbling across the ground at high speed to smash into my sunderer and explode, killing me. Thankfully my Sunderer survived. I guess flash wreckage isn't enough to destroy a party bus.

:soe:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes wreckage breaks, and spins a million miles per hour. Anything that touches it will die instantly. It's a weird physics bug. I'd rather it just launched stuff across the map instead.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Man, gently caress revive grenades. See a pile of dead pubbies right in front of me, throw revive grenade at my feet, it bounces off some invisible piece of geometry, flies over my shoulder and out a loving window. Goodbye infantry resources.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh yeah, is anyone else getting a weird bug lately where the player indicators are the wrong color for a split second after you see a guy? I've been seeing that a lot in the last few days, it's driving me crazy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I hate grenades in general. Way too often, they bounce off of thin air and come flying back behind me, killing or wounding teammates.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DrPlump posted:

Sometimes when I am running the controls will start to feel like jello and I will wobble walk through buildings and floors. I have ended up inside wall and enemy spawns because of this. It is like being a sad ghost who cant control his own powers and keeps sinking through the floor into the lower level. I wonder what it looks like to an outside observer?
Whenever I squad deploy mere seconds after the game loads wherever I load into will not be fully rendered and I'll fall through the floor. It happens a lot, usually causes me to drop from the second floor of a spawn to the first, or just sink into the floor, or sometimes I fall out of a Biolab entirely but don't die for some reason and just end up standing around the bottom of it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Avulsion posted:

Man, gently caress revive grenades. See a pile of dead pubbies right in front of me, throw revive grenade at my feet, it bounces off some invisible piece of geometry, flies over my shoulder and out a loving window. Goodbye infantry resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nb12zFUIWM&t=38s

This happens to me all the time, except it's a friendly who runs through me right as I throw a sticky grenade. :(

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mo_Steel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nb12zFUIWM&t=38s

This happens to me all the time, except it's a friendly who runs through me right as I throw a sticky grenade. :(

I know you mean the knives bit, but drat, do you know how many spacebux I'd pay for a snake grenade? Just toss it into a room, and one second later

SNAKES. SNAKES EVERYWHERE. :derp:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 10, 2013

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I have never before played any of the CoD games or the clones like it so when i saw they apparently have dogs that you can call i thought it was the best idea ever!

We should get rabid rabbit grenades, their rabbits cloned for food BUT INFESTED WITH NANITES! Imagine the monty python moments that would happen when you throw one into a crowded room and everyone struggles to shoot a white rabbit thats flying across the room killing wounded dudes, RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Avulsion posted:

I always forget what grenades I have equipped and throw revives on enemies. :smith:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

keyframe posted:

I always forget what grenades I have equipped and throw revives on enemies. :smith:

This just means you have only a few moments to convince the nearby pubs to charge into the meat grinder so they can accept the revive they will soon need!

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Philthy posted:

Sometimes wreckage breaks, and spins a million miles per hour. Anything that touches it will die instantly. It's a weird physics bug. I'd rather it just launched stuff across the map instead.

I kind of hope that never changes, I C4'd a lightning the other day and the airbourne debris crushed me :allears:.

And gently caress vehicle zergs.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It's like a zombie movie when there's ten TR in a room, all dead from a good allied push, and you see a revive grenade hit the middle of them. And you're the only one who noticed. :zombie:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Huh. Patch. Wonder what it's for?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Finding a back and forth battle with the TR today was a riot on Connery. I don't think I've gotten a 51 kill streak before with my Lightning, and the 200 certs will help me max out Speed or Rival so I can go fast / dodge better.

Lightning tank best tank. :glomp:

e: Nearly forgot to share this bug from last night:

The sky is full of moons... H̴̢͇͙͉̻̎̚͠Ẽ̱͇ͭ̀̓ ̯̝̣ͩ̇ͧͩͅC̛̤͓̩͚ͮ̕͞O͔̙͓̝̤̒́ͅM̤̳̳̲̼̼ͮ̂̋́̈̓̃̀̀͜Ȩ̵̝̙̬̻͍͖̹̪̌ͪ̄ͨ̏ͮͨS̝͉̃͗̀. :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 10, 2013

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

keyframe posted:

The grenades now have different icons so you can just glance down before throwing to see if you have the right kind equipped.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Avulsion posted:

I love revive grenades because people don't accept the rez at the same time, so you get this little shooting gallery minigame where dudes pop up one at a time and you can kill them before they regain control. Plus now that medic gets to revive them all again. It's free XP for everyone!

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Psychorider posted:

The grenades now have different icons so you can just glance down before throwing to see if you have the right kind equipped.

In my case, I still forget and do it anyway :smith:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Mo_Steel posted:

e: Nearly forgot to share this bug from last night:

The sky is full of moons... H̴̢͇͙͉̻̎̚͠Ẽ̱͇ͭ̀̓ ̯̝̣ͩ̇ͧͩͅC̛̤͓̩͚ͮ̕͞O͔̙͓̝̤̒́ͅM̤̳̳̲̼̼ͮ̂̋́̈̓̃̀̀͜Ȩ̵̝̙̬̻͍͖̹̪̌ͪ̄ͨ̏ͮͨS̝͉̃͗̀. :unsmigghh:
"Your princess is in another castle moon, goku."

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.
Was it ever established what by how much high velocity ammo increases projectile velocity now? It just occurred to me that a Gauss Rifle Burst with HV ammo ought to be the fastest thing in the game, short of a Lancer, but I'm curious as to just how fast it is.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I says to myself, "Self," I says, "You're gonna get better at dogfighting today. We're gonna pull a shitton of Reavers and dogfight a whole lot."

Pulled 6 Reavers, got rammed by Scythes 6 times. Total air combat time, about 30 seconds :cripes:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Can't play in either Mattherson or Waterson due to massive skipping. Waterson hurts in particular as it is where my main is.

I only got a good game going in Connery. If they really merge it with one of the 'sons I'm gonna scream.

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh yeah, is anyone else getting a weird bug lately where the player indicators are the wrong color for a split second after you see a guy? I've been seeing that a lot in the last few days, it's driving me crazy.

I have been having something similar, but only with Turrets in bases. It also shows allies/enemies in turrets that are no longer there, which makes me shoot at a dead turret for 30+ seconds wondering why I cant hit it...

So, has anyone else that drives around a peasantwagon noticed a change in what you can drive over with the Rival Chassis? I seem to be able to drive over barriers and railings with no problem, but I dont know if that is just something that was patched in as default with the Sunderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Westy543 posted:

"Your princess Chi-Chi is in another castle moon, goku."

:colbert:

• Locked thread