Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shalinor posted:

Ditto. Though the writing wasn't good in SR3 either, and SR4 was better than that at least. Not really SR2 levels, but at least back to "decent."

Also, this thread was near uniform praise for SR4 until everyone left it for the next big game. It was pretty dang good overall, we're just to the part of the cycle where those that didn't like it aren't being drowned out by the supporters.

Yeah, my only main issue with SR4 is that once you've done all the challenges and missions, there's really nothing at all to keep you coming back, especially since you can't repeat storyline missions. So all you have left is doing the same activities you already perfected or run around blowing things up, which just isn't as focused as it needs to be. It's an easy game to walk away from once you're done, but I hope the DLC at least adds in some staying power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Surlaw posted:

SR4's the most fun I've ever had with an open world game and one of only two I've 100%ed (the other being The Saboteur). I thought the writing was a pretty big step back and relied way too heavily on callbacks to the previous games while giving its characters almost nothing to do, but it's the first time I've ever really loved just screwing around in the world of a game like this. I'm really surprised to hear people didn't like its mechanics.

Same here, I loved the open world play in SR4. The sheer glee of leaping over buildings or flinging pedestrians into the sky just never got old. SR2 will always be my high point of the series purely on the strength of the story, characters and awesome cutscenes, but 4 is definitely the most fun purely in terms doing silly poo poo in a video game.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, my only main issue with SR4 is that once you've done all the challenges and missions, there's really nothing at all to keep you coming back, especially since you can't repeat storyline missions. So all you have left is doing the same activities you already perfected or run around blowing things up, which just isn't as focused as it needs to be. It's an easy game to walk away from once you're done, but I hope the DLC at least adds in some staying power.
The DLC lets you replay its missions at least, that's the one big thing I wish the main game allowed.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Aww man. I'm having a lot of fun with BF3's campaign. I'm still amazed about how good it looks. But it just keeps randomly hard locking my PS3. I'll then hit the power and the light will stay green for a little then hear three quick beeps then finally turn off a second later.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Surlaw posted:

SR4's the most fun I've ever had with an open world game and one of only two I've 100%ed (the other being The Saboteur). I thought the writing was a pretty big step back and relied way too heavily on callbacks to the previous games while giving its characters almost nothing to do, but it's the first time I've ever really loved just screwing around in the world of a game like this. I'm really surprised to hear people didn't like its mechanics.

I actually do like it's mechanics. It was just very clear the game wasn't designed around them which felt very lazy and weird to me. It is pretty fun to speed and jump all over the place for a while. However it's worn thin at the 4 or 5 hour mark for me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

How is sleeping dogs? Thinking of buying this psn deal for $11

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Awesome! posted:

Do it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ularg posted:

Aww man. I'm having a lot of fun with BF3's campaign. I'm still amazed about how good it looks. But it just keeps randomly hard locking my PS3. I'll then hit the power and the light will stay green for a little then hear three quick beeps then finally turn off a second later.
That's the normal procedure when you turn it off while it's locked.

BF3 was a PS+ freebie so I played through the campaign and some of the MP until I got bored, which was quick. The SP has one or two decent moments, but it's short and the story is complete rubbish. It's serviceable if you just want to shoot some dudes and while the visuals can be nice, the framerate is pretty inconsistent and barely 30 at times. I'll give it huge props for sound design though. Some of those guns are simply deafening and it's awesome.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

And it's not like she doesn't know what she's doing - she is still playing the greatest games of all time Transport Tycoon, Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper 2.

Your sister is definitely one of the good ones. That's awesome.

Just for the record, though, I didn't think you were being anything but thankful about the gift, I just thought it was really sweet of her to think of you, even if it wasn't quite what you were expecting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Awesome! posted:

Sleeping Dogs is fantastic. Worth way more than $11.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Awesome! posted:

Sleeping Dogs is the most underrated game of 2012. You must buy it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Stare-Out posted:

That's the normal procedure when you turn it off while it's locked.

BF3 was a PS+ freebie so I played through the campaign and some of the MP until I got bored, which was quick. The SP has one or two decent moments, but it's short and the story is complete rubbish. It's serviceable if you just want to shoot some dudes and while the visuals can be nice, the framerate is pretty inconsistent and barely 30 at times. I'll give it huge props for sound design though. Some of those guns are simply deafening and it's awesome.

I'm coming from playing PC on ultra for the longest time. I just have to give them props for their work on the console. Especially since I still think BF3 multiplayer on PS3 looks like garbage and doesn't really play well at all. Just doesn't play to its strengths with the smaller player counter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ok thanks guys I'm gonna grab sleeping dogs and Dead Rising 2 OTR from this sale. My friend wanted me to get Dead Island too but that's always looked kind of lovely and boring to me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

Ok thanks guys I'm gonna grab sleeping dogs and Dead Rising 2 OTR from this sale. My friend wanted me to get Dead Island too but that's always looked kind of lovely and boring to me.

It is lovely and boring. Take a vaguely servicable first-person-shooter zombie version of Diablo with pretty crap writing, then stretch it out until it's worn way, way, way past its welcome.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Stelas posted:

It is lovely and boring. Take a vaguely servicable first-person-shooter zombie version of Diablo with pretty crap writing, then stretch it out until it's worn way, way, way past its welcome.

It's a great idea though and there are moments where it sort of clicks. I definitely enjoyed my time with it but I recently tried to replay the first one and just could not do it. Everything just felt like it was working against me having fun. And I rented Riptide from Redbox and it was the same thing. Their new game Dying Light looks pretty great though. I'm hoping they learned their lesson and actually put out a polished product.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

G-Whizard posted:

I definitely enjoyed my time with it but I recently tried to replay the first one and just could not do it.

Yeah, when you're playing it for the first time it does kind of suck you in, but then you eventually realise you've been doing the exact same poo poo for hours on end. Like Borderlands, but with worse writing and every gun is useless.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I bought sleeping dogs on a whim and I have been playing it since. I find it funny that its on sale because of the DLC it comes with, but apparently the DLC it comes with sucks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The PS3 thread may have differentiating opinions, but Sleepy Dogs is universally loved.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Sleeping Dogs didn't really grab me when I played it for an hour or two, but I can't really put my finger on why. It could be that I was just coming down from finishing GTA5 and it just didn't seem to be as polished. You're also sort of railroaded through the first few missions which seemed odd for an open-world game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh man the combat in Ico is terrible.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

robodex posted:

Sleeping Dogs didn't really grab me when I played it for an hour or two, but I can't really put my finger on why. It could be that I was just coming down from finishing GTA5 and it just didn't seem to be as polished. You're also sort of railroaded through the first few missions which seemed odd for an open-world game.

I rented it a while back and got to the point where you get a gun which is like 6 hours in. I had to return it but was starting to really like it. I since then got a new PS3 and a new account and now I can't get into it again because some of the missions in those first 6 hours are kind of lame. :( Someday I'll try and give it another shot, especially if the sequel is a direct sequel to the first one and I need to be caught up on the story.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Oh man the combat in Ico is terrible.

Look how wrong this post is.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare worth picking up for $14 on PSN+? I've never really heard much about that game aside from the little one off lines I hear from the Giant Bomb podcast guys (Jeff loving hated it and Brad loving loved it).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Equilibrium posted:

Look how wrong this post is.

Maybe I'm missing something. So far the combat is point mostly in the direction of dudes and then hit square for way too long until the fight is over. If it was shorter or if there was some possibility of losing(things that could change later, I'm like an hour and a half in) it might at least not be annoying.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

You can lose if the demons grab the girl and bring her all way down their hole. Before then you can grab her hand to pull her back out.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ico would be a better game with none of the combat.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had guessed that, but that can't realistically happen so far. It seems like she can be stuck in there for quite a while and pretty much all the time I'm right on top of her by the time she's being dragged in.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe I'm missing something. So far the combat is point mostly in the direction of dudes and then hit square for way too long until the fight is over. If it was shorter or if there was some possibility of losing(things that could change later, I'm like an hour and a half in) it might at least not be annoying.

Later on you will get weapons that kill the shadows in one or two hits, but the combat in Ico is supposed to be exhausting - part of the puzzle is figuring out how to avoid it. The most helpful thing you should realize early on is that Yorda dispels all the shadows when she opens up a gate. All save two combat encounter can be skipped/ran past, though a couple of skips are more dependent on luck.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, what? You can skip these things? I had no idea.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

DeathSandwich posted:

Is Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare worth picking up for $14 on PSN+? I've never really heard much about that game aside from the little one off lines I hear from the Giant Bomb podcast guys (Jeff loving hated it and Brad loving loved it).

Do you like Rockstar? Do you like Westerns? Screw it, even if you don't, get it. It's well worth the money.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RDR was a consensus game of the year pick for many people who aren't game journalists.

Helps if you like Rockstar games though.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

If you have any interest in open world games, buy it. It's easily in my top 5 games of the generation. I spent hours and hours just riding my horse around the landscape, hunting and picking flowers. Undead Nightmare is a goofy, fun little distraction too, surprisingly deep for a $10 DLC. But play it after you finish the main game.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I dont even understand how anyone could hate Red Dead Redemption. Like even if Western's arent your cup of tea how could you HATE such a well made game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Checked Gamefly today to see if they received my MGS HD Collection, so I could get AC4 next week. Forgot I put Diablo 3 in my Q last night and they're shipping that instead. I am...pleasantly surprised. After AC3 I didn't feel confident in spending any time with Black Flag, and I was trying to get Diablo 3 for over a month before I removed it from my Q.

Renting AC4 felt like "Well it's new and popular and everyone is going to be playing it" as opposed to "I really want to play this".

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Harlock posted:

RDR was a consensus game of the year pick for many people who aren't game journalists.

Helps if you like Rockstar games though.

Of all the Rockstar games I've played so far, RDR is the only I managed to finish. Most I've put down after the first 2-3 missions.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

the_american_dream posted:

I dont even understand how anyone could hate Red Dead Redemption. Like even if Western's arent your cup of tea how could you HATE such a well made game

I really enjoyed RDR for its atmosphere and putting open world concepts in a place that really benefited from them but there are some problems with the story. It has the underpinnings of a good grounded story but can't keep straight the tone sometimes, brushes off some real horror flippantly, has an awful and long detour in Mexico that squanders great terrain change with awful irrelevant story, and hits its head on the typical GTA problem of a mass murderer being bullied around by people pointing a gun at him (gasp!). I also wish it had a stronger idea of what to do with hunting and trading because some more systems involved with that could have made that an incredible game experience.

But the atmosphere of the game is excellent, the ambient adventures you run into along the way are great (and paved the way for similarly great stuff in GTA5), and it has some visuals which are really, really beautiful. Turn off autoaim and kind of just settle in. You won't necessarily be satisfied with their story choices, but it's an A+ effort for a game that looks and plays great.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I was blown away by how gorgeous Shadow of the Colossus HD is in Stereoscopic 3D. The art style holds up great and the illusion of depth created is really awesome.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ape Agitator posted:

I really enjoyed RDR for its atmosphere and putting open world concepts in a place that really benefited from them but there are some problems with the story. It has the underpinnings of a good grounded story but can't keep straight the tone sometimes, brushes off some real horror flippantly, has an awful and long detour in Mexico that squanders great terrain change with awful irrelevant story, and hits its head on the typical GTA problem of a mass murderer being bullied around by people pointing a gun at him (gasp!). I also wish it had a stronger idea of what to do with hunting and trading because some more systems involved with that could have made that an incredible game experience.

But the atmosphere of the game is excellent, the ambient adventures you run into along the way are great (and paved the way for similarly great stuff in GTA5), and it has some visuals which are really, really beautiful. Turn off autoaim and kind of just settle in. You won't necessarily be satisfied with their story choices, but it's an A+ effort for a game that looks and plays great.

It also suffers from the Rockstar treatment where every woman in the game is pretty much treated awfully.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

revolther posted:

I was blown away by how gorgeous Shadow of the Colossus HD is in Stereoscopic 3D. The art style holds up great and the illusion of depth created is really awesome.

I wish I could try some games in 3D. However, Shadow of the Colossus drops down to something like the original PS2 frame rate, which is really hard to go back to. On the other hand, ICO has a rock solid 30 fps in 720p, 1080p, and 720p 3D, so you can't go wrong with playing it in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I played another hour or so of Ico, saving at the waterfall. I have a sword and stuff now. You were right, Equilibrium. I don't think this necessarily makes the combat good but it now fits into the game and I'm enjoying it an lot more since I know I don't have to actually sit there and finish a fight before moving on. Really makes the atmosphere more effective when we're actually fleeing.

• Locked thread