Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CptWedgie posted:

a few flat-out cheat even beyond getting 3 actions per turn (yes, THREE.

This eventually happens in vanilla, also in post-game superbosses. Not quite with 100% desperate attacks, though.

Also:

Eerie Eye, as it's called in other DQ games, ignores sleep resistance. All it does is put one person to sleep, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eerie Eye, as it's called in other DQ games, ignores sleep resistance. All it does is put one person to sleep, though

I could have sworn it was Lullab-eye in some of the games.

Edit: I was right, or so the wiki tells me: http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Lullab-Eye

Both wikis, in fact. For some reason there are two.

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Lullab-Eye

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 19, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Epicmissingno posted:

I could have sworn it was Lullab-eye in some of the games.

If it isn't, the only reason is no one thought of that pun.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If your man isn't in town, he's probably in the nearby sprawling mega-cave. Last time, Rydon wasn't in town and was in the nearby sprawling mega-tower, so it's a safe bet.

18 attack on the Falcon Blade. If the enemy doesn't have a lot of defense or isn't a dragon then it's the best damage one can do with swords.

It takes a Meteorite Bracer to make this, and let's not pretend that that's a tiny cost. +50 Agility is enough to make someone go first in pretty much any circumstance except Yangus-ness. Getting another Meteorite Bracer requires an entire orichalcum, too!

Another Mighty Armlet bites the dust for this, but it's worth it.

An upgrade to the Dragonsbane in every way, this with Dragon Slash is the single most painful thing to do to a dragon in the game. Dragon Slash is so early in the swords tree that it's worth making one of these and using it to blast dragons no matter your skill build.

Iron Headgear opens quite a few new hat options for the team. Everyone but Eight gets a new cap out of them.

Angelo's best headgear at 48 defense, with an evasion boost effect that can stack with the dancer's mail and fisticuff's passive. It's wonderful. I love it. And it's a proper gentleman's mask! I love it!!

This does take a Dark Robe, and that isn't a tiny cost. There is a free Dark Robe later, but I only have one now due to a surplus of devil's tail/bat wing and not much to spend 'em on due to my skill setup. I'd say it's better for Yangus to have a Dark Robe than Angelo to have a Phantom Mask if I had to pick. Angelo can get evasion up from two other sources, and Yangus doesn't get any besides body armor.

The scholar's caps are showing their age a bit. Not really, but I need a segue.

+5 defense and int compared. A pleasant upgrade.

Iron Headgear's hat upgrading gets fractal. This is a top priority for one's gold nuggets, if only because there's like one other thing to do with them that comes to mind.

43 defense, and resistances to Fizzle, Fuddle, Snooze, and Whack. Or silence, confuse, sleep, and instant death if you don't remember. It's Jessica's most practical hat.

With the consistent source of Saints' Ashes in Baccarat, I can finally make several of these.

Dazzle resistance, as DQ8's blind effect covers being blinded or being fooled by illusions.

These three status prevention rings, and not any of the others, are the three I need for the big boy status prevention ring.

Dazzle, Fuddle, Paralysis, Poison, Snooze. This covers about every nasty thing enemies do besides instant death and being bashed to paste. At least the +15 defense gets the second one. Having these on everyone for random encounters is a great security measure.

Top fire damage cheese. While C-c-cold cheese does a bit more damage, this is for a situation where the enemies resist ice.

And this is just a little something because I could.

Anyway, with items made, let's go back to exploring the snowy north.

If you expected robots, congrats, you were right.

This is a fantasy RPG.

Lasers deal a lot of nonelemental damage to the entire team.

Attack Bot Mk II has a fair bit of defense. It's cutting in to my uber falcon slashes.

Just one Sap is a 50% boost to its damage output.

Angelo has Multiheal, but 10 MP isn't nothing, and the Cheiron's Bow can cover healing chips pretty well still.

Hackzilla finally gets to retire, as mere flesh and bone is no longer sufficient.

...I meant that like metal, not being an elemental.

Jack Frost isn't that great, since in the arena instant death works approximately never.

Miracle Sword, like the Hero Spear, recovers HP on regular attacks. It'd be nice if Eight ever used regular attacks anymore.

Oh, Freeze Flies are here. No one cares.

Frostburns are like the fire guys but ice instead, which is no bi-

Oh hello!

Our objective is this cave, the Herb Grotto.

As you might expect, Marek's personal garden is in fact a gigantic sprawling cavern full of monsters.

No, Yangus you're going to curse us!

"I can't help but have a bad feeling about this.
"...And when i get a bad feeling, I'm usually irght. People are often astounded by my powers of foresight."

See, Yangus? He's already a ghost or something!

A lot of enemies around here are things tinted blue and given some sort of cold name.

Hey, Jess, this thorn-covered plant monster? Rub your tits on its face. It'll work.

Told ya. :smug:

The nook grass is literally glowing, giving some visual variety.

Giant fuckin' ice bridges do too.

Thanfkully the map is pretty clear about how it works.

Hey guys I think I know what happened to Marek.

It's what's happening to Yangus here.

Kind of a bold move, so shortly after the whole Evil Jessica thing, to kill off Yangus in a scripted encounter. It hearkens back to Dragon Quest III and Orochi, where *voice slowly morphs into ear-piercing buzzing*

The ice bridge has low traction, meaning Eight is slow to start and slow to stop when running. When walking it's very easily managed, though the bridge is still quite narrow and it's easy to just walk off the side by accident.

hold on I just need to think about things a minute, if anything is worth it anymore

Okay they are.

I put these in Angelo and Jessica's inventories. They use MP the most often, especailly Angelo with Multiheal and Zing.

I like how boomerangs and whips don't hit all of them at once, but have a slight delay between each. It gives neat time lapses to kills like this.

But then... danger?!?!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Angelo's best headgear at 48 defense, with an evasion boost effect that can stack with the dancer's mail and fisticuff's passive. It's wonderful. I love it. And it's a proper gentleman's mask! I love it!!

Items like this are why more JRPGs need to show equipment on your characters.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Alacron posted:

Items like this are why more JRPGs need to show equipment on your characters.

honestly, the best part of ix

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't remember who we're looking for or why anymore.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't remember who we're looking for or why anymore.

A man named Marek, because Marta asked us to deliver a bag of some sort.

Marek is an herbalist who grows herbs in a giant-rear end cave full of killer robots.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well, how else do you fertilize an herb garden if not by killing things and soaking the ground in their blood and viscera? :confused:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

look, you don't want the cops finding your herb garden man

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

But then... danger?!?!

What a cliffhanger. Better check back in four months to find out what happened.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

McGavin posted:

What a cliffhanger. Better check back in four months to find out what happened.

I don't have a side-LP now so it'll only be three. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I guess I'll just do another playthrough of the game in the meantime.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I don't have a side-LP now so it'll only be three. :v:

You could fix that, you know...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slaan posted:

Well, how else do you fertilize an herb garden if not by killing things and soaking the ground in their blood and viscera? :confused:

What kind of blood and viscera could he get out of killer robots?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe they use "green" fuels?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blaze Dragon posted:

What kind of blood and viscera could he get out of killer robots?

I think he was implying the robots are the ones killing intruders and what not.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

serefin99 posted:

I think he was implying the robots are the ones killing intruders and what not.

This

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

An update! It has been too long.

Those blizzard guys and their defeat spells were part of the reason the last area of DQ2 is so infamous.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Yeah, Jack Frost is the only reason I have one defeat in my record log.

Kathwack came out of nowhere, and it actually hit everybody. Game over, lose half your cash.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Ofecks posted:

An update! It has been too long.

Those blizzard guys and their defeat spells were part of the reason the last area of DQ2 is so infamous.

The blizzard flame guys didn't always hit with their flavor of instant death spells and were probably one of the more easily dealt-with enemies in the final area of the game. No, it was the Gold Batboons who made that part notorious. Their Sacrifice spell hit the whole party with instant death at a 100% success rate, and nothing blocks it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Meaty Ore posted:

The blizzard flame guys didn't always hit with their flavor of instant death spells and were probably one of the more easily dealt-with enemies in the final area of the game. No, it was the Gold Batboons who made that part notorious. Their Sacrifice spell hit the whole party with instant death at a 100% success rate, and nothing blocks it.

The point stands that you had multiple enemies who could just partywipe your entire team whenever they felt like it, with no lead-up. I don't know how the series got this far with game design like that, but I guess it was just a different time and people liked things unpleasantly difficult.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

The point stands that you had multiple enemies who could just partywipe your entire team whenever they felt like it, with no lead-up. I don't know how the series got this far with game design like that, but I guess it was just a different time and people liked things unpleasantly difficult.

Keep in mind that at the time that DQ2 came out (1987), there were hardly any games like it available. People put up with the jankiness because they didn't have any other options if they wanted to play games of this type. Even Final Fantasy 1 and Phantasy Star 1 wouldn't come out until significantly later that year. I think your best other options, if you were Japanese, were imported western RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima (both first released 1981). Or DQ1, of course.

When your selection is small, you put up with crappy games because you just don't know any better. People liked them despite the jank, not because of it.

(Granted people then later developed Stockholm syndrome over the jank...)

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Keep in mind that at the time that DQ2 came out (1987), there were hardly any games like it available. People put up with the jankiness because they didn't have any other options if they wanted to play games of this type. Even Final Fantasy 1 and Phantasy Star 1 wouldn't come out until significantly later that year. I think your best other options, if you were Japanese, were imported western RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima (both first released 1981). Or DQ1, of course.

When your selection is small, you put up with crappy games because you just don't know any better. People liked them despite the jank, not because of it.

(Granted people then later developed Stockholm syndrome over the jank...)

The other thing is that there is no game over where progress is lost except maybe final battles. You lose gold but you're not having to grind up the experience again. Later games have the banks too for just that reason.

It's definitely tedious but it's not a complete FU.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Wrong thread!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

Wrong thread!

Okay so I'll show you how to do the level 0 glitch.

Step 1: go to config

Step 2: press left once on the sound option

Good job! You hosed up something!

But Maxim didn't get royally hosed up by it. I assume it has something to do with the 4th character slot, but I only have saves at endgame with Arty, who gets mashed to beans by it.

Oh, sorry, I meant ximMa. At least it ruined his name.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Meaty Ore posted:

No, it was the Gold Batboons who made that part notorious. Their Sacrifice spell hit the whole party with instant death at a 100% success rate, and nothing blocks it.

That is incorrect. They are quite susceptible to StopSpell. They also only cast it below a threshold of HP (either 1/2 or 1/3), so just don't attack them until their spells are blocked.

They are still a dangerous monster, mostly due to Firebane chip-damage and sleep breath.

I don't believe you can StopSpell the Blizzards, so I remember countless battles with them where they would go first and immediately kill someone (or everyone even).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 12, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Okay so I'll show you how to do the level 0 glitch.

(From a now-obsolete TAS of Lufia 2)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Having someone in the second slot will do it too. I always liked to do it to Tia.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm gonna go on record as saying I enjoyed Curse of the Sinistrals. I'm tired of living in shame

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm gonna go on record as saying I enjoyed Curse of the Sinistrals. I'm tired of living in shame

I only ever played Fortress of Doom, which I loved the crap out of, probably for no good reason, but then I never played the sequel, so I never had a point of comparison. But...the action-game version of Rise of the Sinistrals? Huh.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

What up fellow good taste haver :cool::respek::cool:

Actually I'm pretty split on the two, the original definitely has the superior puzzles and dungeons, but the remake gives the story a much needed second draft.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My big beef with it is the Dragon Eggs. Some are ridiculous. Although I got Amon's pretty easy because he is Tia's little bitch boy. Beat that guy in like 15 seconds with her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Alacron posted:

What up fellow good taste haver :cool::respek::cool:

Actually I'm pretty split on the two, the original definitely has the superior puzzles and dungeons, but the remake gives the story a much needed second draft.

It also made Lexus into Doc Brown to Maxim's Marty McFly, so that's an instant improvement.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GunnerJ posted:

It also made Lexus into Doc Brown to Maxim's Marty McFly, so that's an instant improvement.

It was more the other way around. Rise already made Lexis into a Doc Brown :v:

(Also I prefer Rise simply because I've played that more)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
My brain could not get over certain parts of Rise when I was coming from Curse.

GunnerJ posted:

On the other hand, I did not care for Dekar's new look. It felt wrong.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Obviously you find more powerful machines in the icy wastes. They're overclocked.

• Locked thread