Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Panel show talk, I'm really enjoying James Acaster at the moment, particularly his latest Insert Name Here appearance.

Also if you can find him talking about being Cabbaged it's worth a listen. Should be on the youtubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ms Boods posted:

Then check out episode 4, where a shabby Tom Holland prances around a posh party with two leather bags of nitrous, indulging freely. It's his Regency crack.

Tom Hollander. You're thinking of the next Spider-Man. Only pointing this out because I've made the same mistake tons of times.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I've just got done watching Our Friends in the North and quite enjoyed it.

What would you all rank as the best British TV drama series of all time?

I've heard good things about Boys from the Backstuff, Talking Heads and Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit.

I'd be interested in hearing more recommendations along these lines.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
GBH.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

BSam posted:

Panel show talk, I'm really enjoying James Acaster at the moment, particularly his latest Insert Name Here appearance.

He nearly made me explode with laughter. I love that show. A good addition to the panel show genre (ugggh cliched line)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Cracker. A tour de force of Brit drama back from the distant past when ITV weren't quite so firmly wedged in the gutter.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 1, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the Edge of Darkness miniseries. Can't even really think of that many right now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Prime Suspect
I, Claudius.
The original BBC House of Cards.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Need to see I, Claudius (and The Singing Detective) so goddamn badlyyy

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pablo Bluth posted:

Cracker. A tour de force of Brit drama back from the distant past when ITV weren't quite so firmly wedged in the gutter.

The recent allegations have ruined Cracker for me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
No idea how well it has stood the test of time but Queer as Folk was genuinely a milestone moment.

This Life.

And the seminal Grange Hill.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 1, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Stare-Out posted:

Tom Hollander. You're thinking of the next Spider-Man. Only pointing this out because I've made the same mistake tons of times.

Whoops -- cheers! (It's a dumb mistake on my part; I didn't even realise there's an actor called Tom Holland).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Really hope this turns into a series of casting/booking mishaps ala Brian Cox

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

The recent allegations have ruined Cracker for me.

Teflon Robbie got off tho?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Big Taff Man posted:

Teflon Robbie got off tho?

He did. He got off then he got off. Sick.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I quite liked This Life when it first aired and remember watching along every week (remember having to do that?!)

I tried to watch it recently and I found it to be quite poor.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Last year several ladies at work came back from lunch all wobbly because they'd just seen Egg at a local deli.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Good luck to the boy, he's a Sheriff now isn't he?!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

I quite liked This Life when it first aired and remember watching along every week (remember having to do that?!)

I tried to watch it recently and I found it to be quite poor.

I played the theme tune on the guitar for one of my GCSE music performances. good show, enjoyed it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oceanside posted:

I've just got done watching Our Friends in the North and quite enjoyed it.

What would you all rank as the best British TV drama series of all time?

I've heard good things about Boys from the Backstuff, Talking Heads and Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit.

I'd be interested in hearing more recommendations along these lines.

The Cops, a show so good that the official police advisor went off in a huff after the first series. The early 80s series of The Bill are pretty great too, nothing like the bollocks it turned into in its last decade, and it's practically a period piece what with all the running around derelict bits of London that don't exist any more. Episodes of both are available on a popular video-sharing website.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's always some trouble down on the Jasmin Allen estate.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Early Bill is superb

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

rip in peace tosh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Somebody post a picture of Tosh Lines.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

TOSH!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ted Roach was clearly the superior detective moustache, sorry

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Trin Tragula posted:

The Cops, a show so good that the official police advisor went off in a huff after the first series.

Seconding this one, it doesn't seem to have a big reputation but it really is fantastic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I watched a few early series of The Bill a couple of weeks ago. They were genuinely good drama, unlike anything we have on TV now.

They were also massively more casually racist and sexist than I remember. I mean, real eye-opening, caveman levels of shittiness. It makes me incredibly grateful that political correctness went mad.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
lot of vehicular murders in this season of silent witness.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

The Cops, a show so good that the official police advisor went off in a huff after the first series.
--Why are you portraying all coppers as bastards?
--Well...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Would.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My uncle played the policeman you see walking in the credits at the start of The Bill.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This is absolutely the correct answer. Robert Lindsay is amazing when he's not doing shite sitcoms, who knew?

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Anyone who'd seen his finest work, Hornblower.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Speaking of horn blower, anyone else been wondering how their wife would react if she came in and saw you having your Horn Blown by an over enthusiastic robot woman much like the characters in the popular UK TV series Humans?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

Speaking of horn blower, anyone else been wondering how their wife would react if she came in and saw you having your Horn Blown by an over enthusiastic robot woman much like the characters in the popular UK TV series Humans?

What if the robot is an exact replica of your wife, physically and mentally?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Big Taff Man posted:

Are you talking about receiving oral sex off a lifelike human simulacrum?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

thehustler posted:

What if the robot is an exact replica of your wife, physically and mentally?

Then she wouldnt be likely to be blowing my horn, am I right fellas?

Pissflaps posted:

Are you talking about receiving oral sex off a lifelike human simulacrum?

Yes, much like the events of the tv show Humans

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My wife would be furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
The show Humans for me asks a lot of questions : not limited to do robots have feelings, do we rely too much on computers in our every day life and also at some point in the future will humankind prefer sex with a robot that has been attuned to their wants and desires while reproduction becomes something just done in laboratories - maybe controlled by robots?