Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

If we're gonna dickwave about prices I've got an invoice from my $210 MSI Twin-Frozr 290 new with game bundle from 2014.

I'm not dickwaving, just saying. He could have gotten a 380 for the same price, it's a significantly faster card with GCN 1.2 and bridgeless CrossFireX.

The really funny thing is that while that's a good price it wasn't actually abnormally low or anything. 290 prices bottomed out around $180 for ref cards and $200 for aftermarket cards (in the time period right before the 390 launched).

The 390 series pushed prices up about $100 for the exact same chip, we're only just starting to touch 2014 prices again on super deep sales. At the same time, the 285/380 was actually no faster than the 280X. The 300 series cards were pure comedy gold.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a really bad time to buy a 290 since the RX 480 is going to be the same price as a used 290 but be faster and use less power (literally a die-shrunk 290X). Unless you absolutely must have it in the next two to four weeks.

$140 for a 270X is a garbage price, I paid $150 for a nice aftermarket 280 back in late 2014. Nowadays you should be getting a refurb 280X or even a new 4gb 380 for that price.

Sorry for your loss.

edit: And don't crossfire bottom-end cards, it's GCN 1.0 for god's sake. Just wait a month or at least buy a 390 if you really hate money that badly.

I think they meant they bought all three cards for $140 total, i.e. a package deal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think they meant they bought all three cards for $140 total, i.e. a package deal.

Oh, that's actually a pretty sweet deal then. I'd still probably try to flip them on eBay before the RX 480 launches and prices fully crash - you can still probably get north of $100 per card, and translate that into a single card that outperforms the crossfire even after fees/shipping.

(for that matter - the 980 Ti used market still hasn't been keeping up with the firesales on new cards either, Newegg's Classified and Golden Edition prices were undershooting the market pretty considerably.)

But to each his own, it's kinda worth messing with Crossfire at that price if you don't want to deal with selling.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 18, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a really bad time to buy a 290 since the RX 480 is going to be the same price as a used 290 but be faster and use less power (literally a die-shrunk 290X). Unless you absolutely must have it in the next two to four weeks.

$140 for a 270X is a garbage price, I paid $150 for a nice aftermarket 280 back in late 2014. Nowadays you should be getting a refurb 280X or even a new 4gb 380 for that price.

Sorry for your loss.

edit: And don't crossfire bottom-end cards, it's GCN 1.0 for god y's sake. Just wait a month or at least buy a 390 if you really hate money that badly.

I got THREE cards for 140 total.

I have intent to use them in Crossfire for any extended time, shits and giggles only.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 18, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.overclock.net/t/1603252/wccf-amd-rx-480-can-hit-1-5ghz-new-overclocking-tool-with-voltage-control-coming/390#post_25267966

Since we're in an information gulf, here's some a random internet post! Basically, this guy is saying a.) there will be AIB 480s that ship with the 6+8 power config and b.) those same boards will be set to a 1500MHz overclock in the BIOS.

A snip:

random internet person posted:

This particular $300 Rx 480 OC Edition will have toggle with two bios options - Standard bios of 1266mhz and Extreme bios of 1500mhz - All 6+8 pin models will be able to reach the 1500mhz mark - the only difference is some editions will have a overclock bios setting that will be set at the 1500mhz mark - while other cards will have to be done manually although today its easy to do manually by just a few clicks of a button with software - While running at 1570mhz - the OC edition runs at 72c with 99% gpu load with 65% fan - one impressive feat to say the least - This bodes well for AMD's new Polaris cards as it shows these cards are capable of even more than this impressive 1570mhz mark - In fact, in a closed box setup, we were able to "easily" obtain 1600mhz while running Battlefield 4 for over an hour with zero crashes or artifacts all while keeping below the 75c mark while using 99% gpu load - Even more impressive is the fact that the voltage usage leaves room for even a bit further tweaking to further our overclock past 1600mhz - One has to wonder what AMD has with the entire lineup of Vega right now - we can only imagine pure bliss in terms of performance at the top enthusiast level - AMD really does have something special on their hands. The Rx 480 while running 1500mhz is on par with the stock 1070 in-game, it even beats it on some games at this clock, anything more and the 480 begins to put some distance between the two cards. Keep in mind this is Dx12 games, this is where GCN 4 truly shows off.

So yeah, maybe he's right? I have no idea, but since there's still an NDA on... RANDOM BULLSHITTERY! :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
6+8 pin is 75+75+150W = 300W power. You could power a 290X from that, and the RX 480 is a die shrink of the 290X. A die-shrunk card is not going to pull more power than its original card.

It's AIBs jerking off over whose Honda Civic rices the best. I would be astonished if any AIB cards broke a 200-225W load average even with an overclock. That's as much power as a 1080 draws, on the same node, even while boosting. You would be just fine with a single 8pin.

That said, I would also be astonished if they were performing roughly on par (within 5-10%) of the 1070 too. It's a much smaller chip, even with AMD's die-size advantages it's a stretch. And the 1070 is running 1600 MHz base and boosts to quite a bit above that (let alone OC). Maaaaybe in DX12. Maybe.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sorry for your loss.

edit: And don't crossfire bottom-end cards, it's GCN 1.0 for god's sake. Just wait a month or at least buy a 390 if you really hate money that badly.

I think it was three 270x cards for a total of $140, so around $50 each. If not though, yeah, that's a bad deal.

Whoops, didn't refresh.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

6+8 pin is 75+75+150W = 300W power. You could power a 290X from that, and the RX 480 is a die shrink of the 290X. A die-shrunk card is not going to pull more power than its original card.

It's AIBs jerking off over whose Honda Civic rices the best. I would be astonished if any AIB cards broke a 200W load average even with an overclock. That's as much power as a 1080 draws, on the same node. You would be just fine with a single 8pin.

Yeah, this seems like it's just AIBs doing marketing tricks. It reminds me of the Gigabyte G1 1080 which only has one 8-pin power connector just like the FE 1080 but actually posts the same numbers as the AIB 1080s with 8+6 or 8+8 power, in fact it's numbers are better because it uses less power and generates less heat, meaning it has an easier time maintaining high clocks even though it has a smaller HSF than the other AIB 1080s.

I mean, if they were actually running that much power through a low power card like the 480 I would expect that you would need an AIO watercooler at a minimum to keep the heat in check and no AIB in their right mind is going to slap an AIO on a midrange part like that as their base model.

I do hope the bit about it OCing like mad is true, but I expect it isn't because GCN has not OCed very well in the past and AMD should be trying to get every drop of performance they can out of this card to fight Nvidia, it makes no sense to leave performance on the table when you are fighting from behind like AMD is at this point.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just want to get within a few percent of 1070/980TI performance for ~$300 - which to my knowledge NOBODY is providing atm...unless there's some sort of mass hysteria wave and 980TIs drop to $300...

A theoretical 490 would be able to do it but if the only game in town for $300 is a good OCing 480 then so be it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Seamonster posted:

I just want to get within a few percent of 1070/980TI performance for ~$300 - which to my knowledge NOBODY is providing atm...unless there's some sort of mass hysteria wave and 980TIs drop to $300...

A theoretical 490 would be able to do it but if the only game in town for $300 is a good OCing 480 then so be it.

My best advice there is to wait for the GTX 1160 and RX 580.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My best advice there is to wait for the GTX 1160 and RX 580.

But then GTX 1200 and RX 600s are just around the corner then so waiting for them would be smart

Obviously when they get released theres going to be the 1300 and 700 series JUST behind the corner then. Rinse, repeat.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Well you can buy a brand new 980 Ti for $400 right now, $300 for a used one sometime not too far in the future seems reasonable.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

roadhead posted:

I still run the OG 7970 and game at 4k.

The 7970 has been a hell of a card for me at 1440P since 2012 but thats seriously impressive if you're getting acceptable frames at 4K

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The 480 is in my price range (wut up other semi-poor nerds) and if it can set me up with 980ti-ish performance (with overclocking) then I am happy. I just wish they'd loving let the reviews drop. It's what, a week and a half away and still nothing? Maybe they're waiting until a week prior? I dunno. I want actual benches, dammit.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Thanks for the advice guys, as it is I'll stick with the Gigabyte as its you know available to me now (Jayztwocents has said its pretty good too?).

Just before I have it delivered Monday and fit it wanted to double check I shouldn't switch to the Gainward GLH card, simply as its the same price, due in stock Monday from the place that had the Gigabyte and is slightly higher clocked out the box (Memory too) and according to this review it was pretty good comparatively?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weLUc1ac1-U

I could just be a huge spergy weirdo over this and would rather be called out on it now and relax than stress, refuse the delivery and order the other card. But I would order the other card if it was worthwhile since it is in stock Monday and the same price. Never had a Gainward before and they aren't the first brand that come to mind for me though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gonkish posted:

The 480 is in my price range (wut up other semi-poor nerds) and if it can set me up with 980ti-ish performance (with overclocking) then I am happy. I just wish they'd loving let the reviews drop. It's what, a week and a half away and still nothing? Maybe they're waiting until a week prior? I dunno. I want actual benches, dammit.

Don't get your hopes up, I very much doubt the 480 will come anywhere close to a 980 Ti or overclock nearly as high as people want it to. If it could AMD would be touting it, why let Nvidia sell 1070s when they could be shouting from the rooftops about 980 Ti level performance for $200-$240? Why would the 480 need loads of power to OC like mad but not the massive cooling that generally comes with shoving tons of power through a chip? If it can OC so high then why not make cards with an AIO built in? They already did that with the Fury X and even if it added $50-$60 to the price it would be well worth it to be able to talk about how your new card can come close to the 980 Ti for only $300.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Don't get your hopes up, I very much doubt the 480 will come anywhere close to a 980 Ti or overclock nearly as high as people want it to. If it could AMD would be touting it, why let Nvidia sell 1070s when they could be shouting from the rooftops about 980 Ti level performance for $200-$240? Why would the 480 need loads of power to OC like mad but not the massive cooling that generally comes with shoving tons of power through a chip? If it can OC so high then why not make cards with an AIO built in? They already did that with the Fury X and even if it added $50-$60 to the price it would be well worth it to be able to talk about how your new card can come close to the 980 Ti for only $300.

Ths 480 over clocking well (or AMD having lots of stock available at launch) run counter to the rumor that AMD was having trouble hitting their target clocks at acceptable yields.

I mean AMD may actually have believed that NVIDIA had nothing competitive lined up (maybe they assumed all NVIDIAs designs would be relying on HBM2?) And so they left a bunch of perf/money on the table, but that level of malpractice seems a little hard to believe.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 19, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Blackfyre posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, as it is I'll stick with the Gigabyte as its you know available to me now (Jayztwocents has said its pretty good too?).

Just before I have it delivered Monday and fit it wanted to double check I shouldn't switch to the Gainward GLH card, simply as its the same price, due in stock Monday from the place that had the Gigabyte and is slightly higher clocked out the box (Memory too) and according to this review it was pretty good comparatively?

I could just be a huge spergy weirdo over this and would rather be called out on it now and relax than stress, refuse the delivery and order the other card. But I would order the other card if it was worthwhile since it is in stock Monday and the same price. Never had a Gainward before and they aren't the first brand that come to mind for me though.

What card you go for is up to you but I suspect that your performance is going to come down to the GPU and memory on your card, if you get a sample that OCs well then you hit the jackpot, if not then the card will always be mediocre whether it has a giant HSF on top or not.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Hubis posted:

Ths 480 over clocking well (or AMD having lots of stock available at launch) run counter to the rumor that AMD was having trouble hitting their target clocks at acceptable yields.

I mean AMD may actually have believed that NVIDIA had nothing competitive lined up (maybe they assumed all NVIDIAs designs would be relying on HBM2?) And so they left a bunch of perf/money on the table, but that level of malpractice seems a little hard to believe.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › AMD Platform Discussion: That level of malpractice seems a little hard to believe

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

otoh the purported Chinese leaker of the 480 demonstrated it almost reaching a 1070 with a (edit: 1380)mhz clock

so there's definitely some weird poo poo going on (most likely incompetence and/or badly-hatched plan by AMD marketing) if that's the case

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Ran Firestrike on my OC'd 1070 Gigabyte G1. Got a 20804 Graphic score. Guess I'll dig around the internet to see how that falls in the 980Ti & 1080 hierarchy.

Edit:
Apparently there are many Firestrike benches. This was just the free one that comes with the 3DMark demo in the Steam store.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 19, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

otoh the purported Chinese leaker of the 480 demonstrated it almost reaching a 1070 with a (edit: 1380)mhz clock

so there's definitely some weird poo poo going on (most likely incompetence and/or badly-hatched plan by AMD marketing) if that's the case

I thought that leak was later confirmed to be false, just a photoshop of a chart from some other site or something?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought that leak was later confirmed to be false, just a photoshop of a chart from some other site or something?
No, that's the edit from a Korean site and unrelated to the guy, the Chinese leaker is still at large and streaming performance numbers as of today, last seen here [https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4oq2ea/live_rx_480_leaker_is_live_benchmarking_with/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

No, that's the edit from a Korean site and unrelated to the guy, the Chinese leaker is still at large and streaming performance numbers as of today, last seen here [https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4oq2ea/live_rx_480_leaker_is_live_benchmarking_with/

Huh, definitely some weird stuff going on, though I wish the guy would run something like Firestrike at those settings, that would be a lot more useful than Overwatch.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blackfyre posted:

Its not worthwhile tbh. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. My G1 1070 boosts to 1974 out of the box, just been playing on it for hours.

G1 factory boost and temp (I put a +500 on the memory off the bat because I know thats been considered outright moderate)

67*C after hours of playing is not bad :) I literally cannot hear it over my CPU fan and its 3 feet from my head exposed with no cover on the GPU chamber (RVZ02)

Pretty good card

Peanut3141 posted:

Ran Firestrike on my OC'd 1070 Gigabyte G1. Got a 20804 Graphic score. Guess I'll dig around the internet to see how that falls in the 980Ti & 1080 hierarchy.

Edit:
Apparently there are many Firestrike benches. This was just the free one that comes with the 3DMark demo in the Steam store.

I'm pretty sure "Extreme" is free as well and that's a more commonly used value

I ran the Firestrike you ran for giggles, this is at 9500 mhz and 2025 max boost clock my graphics score was 20,245

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 19, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying not to get too hype with all these 480 rumours....but goddamn I hope they're true. Can't wait to upgrade from this 750ti.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bardeh posted:

I'm trying not to get too hype with all these 480 rumours....but goddamn I hope they're true. Can't wait to upgrade from this 750ti.

It's gonna be a mega upgrade from the 750 Ti. Probably something on the order of triple the framerate.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's gonna be a mega upgrade from the 750 Ti. Probably something on the order of triple the framerate.

I wonder how nice the jump from my 6850 is going to be then. Just need to wait those benchmarks to make some sort of decision.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sayara posted:

I wonder how nice the jump from my 6850 is going to be then. Just need to wait those benchmarks to make some sort of decision.

Look at userbenchmark. Performance is probably going to be similar to a 290 or a 290x. That puts you in the ~4.5-5x range.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Look at userbenchmark. Performance is probably going to be similar to a 290 or a 290x. That puts you in the ~4.5-5x range.

So it seems. This gpu upgrade is possibly even bigger jump in games than last years bottlenecking E6600 -> 4690K was.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm upgrading from a 760 :toot:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I have to say I am pretty pleased with boost 3.0, I almost didn't even care to overclock the core clock because it was already doing such a good job. There was a relatively huge memory overclock left on the table of course but and I did end up with ~2038 mhz core clock that im happy is stable with a little buffer, but 1974 is so relatively close I am impressed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm upgrading from a 760 :toot:

I'm upgrading from integrated.

Ok, I only built my PC a month ago, and held off on buying a card while I waited to see what the new releases were, but still.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah well im upgrading from an Altair 8800, do you think there will be a bottleneck with the 1080?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I'm upgrading from an abacus.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its not worthwhile tbh. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. My G1 1070 boosts to 1974 out of the box, just been playing on it for hours.

G1 factory boost and temp (I put a +500 on the memory off the bat because I know thats been considered outright moderate)

67*C after hours of playing is not bad :) I literally cannot hear it over my CPU fan and its 3 feet from my head exposed with no cover on the GPU chamber (RVZ02)

Pretty good card

I'm pretty sure "Extreme" is free as well and that's a more commonly used value

I ran the Firestrike you ran for giggles, this is at 9500 mhz and 2025 max boost clock my graphics score was 20,245

This is what my OC settings are. Maybe someday I'll figure out how much further I can push the core/memory and if I can make the voltage controllable. So far I'm too busy playing other games to grind Afterburner.

My temp topped out at 63 after hours of playing Dark Souls 3 & XCOM2, but usually hangs around 60C. I just left the fan on the default curve.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Deuce posted:

I'm upgrading from an abacus.

Really going to appreciate the break from counting on my fingers

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

This is what my OC settings are. Maybe someday I'll figure out how much further I can push the core/memory and if I can make the voltage controllable. So far I'm too busy playing other games to grind Afterburner.

My temp topped out at 63 after hours of playing Dark Souls 3 & XCOM2, but usually hangs around 60C. I just left the fan on the default curve.

Weird my temps are slightly higher (lol), but the fan curve is less aggressive :confused:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Weird my temps are slightly higher (lol), but the fan curve is less aggressive :confused:

Just discovered I'd apparently modified the fan curve by clicking the gear to the left of fan speed. Unclicking that puts the fans off while watching YouTube, so I think I reenabled passive mode. I might play some more XCOM2 and see how the temps are. Hilarious that taxes the GPU far more than Dark Souls 3. It really is poorly optimized.

I topped out at a core clock of 2139 and memory of 4552.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Better case ventilation